Killin' It With Kettlebells

I definitely agree with this. When I first started with S&S and was just working on understanding the motion I used my 8kg 'bell for my swings. I never really did the movements right until I moved up to the 16kg though, because it was just too light. 

Same here. I tried 20lb/9kg for a few sets, trying to understand the form, and when I picked up 35lb/16kg, I was like "Oh... that was all wrong. I was using 90% arms." And then a few days later I picked up 50lb/22kg and said, "OOOH! That's what he means by driving the pelvis forward." I can apply that to the 16kg now - which is good, because my 50lb cinderblock can't be gripped one handed - but I don't know if I would have learned it without picking up something heavier.

It is like the "Heavy weight is self-correcting" thing with the getup. I remember one of the instructions for the getup in S&S was something like "If this were 100lb, how would you hold it?"

But I'm coming at it from a perspective of someone who is hesitant to try heavier weight, and is very mindful of good alignment. If you've got someone who is more inclined to recklessly throw around the heaviest weight they possibly can get off the floor, I'd want them to back off on the weight and drill for perfect form. 

• Like 2

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #22 Weasel does 500 Pullups

Did the Gary Cook TGU drill today, stopping and rotating arms/neck at every point. He suggested setting a timer for 1:30 and seeing if you could do the TGU for that amount of time.That was tough, really started to feel it at the end. 

And then after reading TML's comment about alignment, I was focusing on that too. I noticed that in the elbow position, I tend to sag. Corrected that a bit, and I found it much easier to go from there into the lunge.

Also video'd my swings and TGU today.I'll watch those and see what I learn.

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Really? That sounds like a pretty bad idea to me, then you'd have to go and unlearn a lot of your habits. It's so much easier to teach someone GS who hasn't ever held a kettlebell before, and it's always the hardstylers that struggle the most. In some key ways it's just polar opposites.

Yeah. I mean it is CrossFit. They have to try everything. It's like in Weightlifting--maximal lifts and high-rep submaximal lifts are approached differently and have different technique, and some eventually move on from CrossFit to Weightlifting, but they won't be coming close to beating Lü Xiaojun in this lifetime.They don't really drill the Hardstyle philosophy into your head like I imagine they would in RKC or SFG, they're just using kettlebell lifting to improve your GPP and for better CrossFitting. They don't fault you for rocking back on downswing of the Snatch or not using the biomechanical breathing pattern or anything during L1. I do know of some Hardstylers who wanted to lift more transition to GS. I don't how they're doing, but I don't think they're setting any world records.

It is like the "Heavy weight is self-correcting" thing with the getup. I remember one of the instructions for the getup in S&S was something like "If this were 100lb, how would you hold it?"

Yup, that is usually a rule in HS classes. Always treat every kettlebell like it's 100 lbs. Don't be moving it over one's face when transferring sides on a TGU and always use two hands to pick it up. And always brace your spine before you even touch one, even if it's an 8kg. Just good habits to learn.

• Like 2

And no, I'm 137. I TGU with 80, so I think I'll stay at this weight for a while and really explore the movement before shelling out mad cash to buy that 90-pound Bigfoot Bell from Onnit.

You mean you weigh 137 lbs. and you lift 80 lbs ?! That is impressive. 

• Like 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

You mean you weigh 137 lbs. and you lift 80 lbs ?! That is impressive.

Thanks. Yeah, I can get 90# up both sides after a quick warmup and some mobility work.

Also (and I'm just bragging now) 70# strict Press straight from bed upon waking up. All from S&S and ROP.

• Like 3

Thanks. Yeah, I can get 90# up both sides after a quick warmup and some mobility work.

Also (and I'm just bragging now) 70# strict Press straight from bed upon waking up. All from S&S and ROP.

WOW.Ok,I was going to ask what magic helped you. Yeah, it that isn't the best motivation for me to just stick with the program. 

• Like 2

Very inspirational, how long ago did you start working out with kettlebells?

What is ROP?

And you can do a little bragging, that's some serious strength.

Rites of Passage, I believe. From an earlier book of Pavel Tsatsouline, Enter the Kettlebell.

• Like 2

the artist usually known as WALDGEIST

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

Star Wars: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #5B, #6, #6B, #10, #11, #16, #17, (Current Callenge)

TeenWolf: #7

SHIELD: #8, #12, #13, #14, #15

Magicians: #9

"It's never too late, to become what you could've been!"

After some of the reading here, I  moved on up to the heavier bell (26#) for swings and it went well.  I was more aware of my form for sure and overall, I think it's pretty good.  A bit of a harder time keeping form when the bell is on the way down and back.  I tried some getups with the 18# bell and made it to my elbow, but it was ugly.  Did a few trying to improve, but eventually went back to the shoe.  Lots of room for progress on getups.  :)

• Like 3

Rangering since Sept 2015

After some of the reading here, I  moved on up to the heavier bell (26#) for swings and it went well.  I was more aware of my form for sure and overall, I think it's pretty good.  A bit of a harder time keeping form when the bell is on the way down and back.  I tried some getups with the 18# bell and made it to my elbow, but it was ugly.  Did a few trying to improve, but eventually went back to the shoe.  Lots of room for progress on getups.   :)

I haven't done it, so I can't really comment, but I've read people who advocate starting with just the first part - ground to elbow and back down again.

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I tried some getups with the 18# bell and made it to my elbow, but it was ugly.  Did a few trying to improve, but eventually went back to the shoe.  Lots of room for progress on getups.   :)

Greasing the Groove: Coach Dan John recommends against adding weight to TGUs until 100 successful reps without weight. Doing naked TGUs as part of a warm up counts toward the total. Try it with a cup of water on the fist. No wiggle room in form there.

I haven't done it, so I can't really comment, but I've read people who advocate starting with just the first part - ground to elbow and back down again.

This is how I started with TGUs-- De-constucting them and even doing Get Downs....starting at the top. I found my weak points and worked on them.

• Like 4

^ I misinterpreted what "Naked Turkish Getups" meant for  long time. Good thing nobody was home.

WOW.Ok,I was going to ask what magic helped you. Yeah, it that isn't the best motivation for me to just stick with the program. 

Haha. Yeah, I wish there was some secret training technique besides good old-fashioned following of instructions. (And a good relative strength base.) You'll notice though that the SFG people love the boring stuff.

What is ROP?
And you can do a little bragging, that's some serious strength.

Thanks. What he said. Rite Of Passage. It's pretty much kettlebell Press ladders, three times a week of varying volume.

Very inspirational, how long ago did you start working out with kettlebells?

Almost a year now. Started with Dan John's 10'000 Swings in January, Simple & Sinister in March. Hit Simple Goals in September, and went on to Rite Of Passage and pressed half bodyweight by November but couldn't get the Snatch goal. Moved to Easy Strength and just finished that this month. Still working on the Snatch goal.

After some of the reading here, I  moved on up to the heavier bell (26#) for swings and it went well.  I was more aware of my form for sure and overall, I think it's pretty good.  A bit of a harder time keeping form when the bell is on the way down and back.  I tried some getups with the 18# bell and made it to my elbow, but it was ugly.  Did a few trying to improve, but eventually went back to the shoe.  Lots of room for progress on getups.   :)

Time for a form check video? Maybe do it with a cup of water to make things interesting. Haha

What he said.

• Like 3

Greasing the Groove: Coach Dan John recommends against adding weight to TGUs until 100 successful reps without weight. Doing naked TGUs as part of a warm up counts toward the total. Try it with a cup of water on the fist. No wiggle room in form there.

At first I was reading this as "do unweighted TGUs for a super long time" but 100 is just ten sessions, and I'm doing them nearly every day. No problem. I'll give that a try.

Mine are currently pretty lousy, especially after the swings.

• Like 2

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #22 Weasel does 500 Pullups

This is how I started with TGUs-- De-constucting them and even doing Get Downs....starting at the top. I found my weak points and worked on them.

I'll try it.  Thanks for the advice.

^ I misinterpreted what "Naked Turkish Getups" meant for  long time. Good thing nobody was home.

Haha. Yeah, I wish there was some secret training technique besides good old-fashioned following of instructions. (And a good relative strength base.) You'll notice though that the SFG people love the boring stuff.

Thanks. What he said. Rite Of Passage. It's pretty much kettlebell Press ladders, three times a week of varying volume.

Almost a year now. Started with Dan John's 10'000 Swings in January, Simple & Sinister in March. Hit Simple Goals in September, and went on to Rite Of Passage and pressed half bodyweight by November but couldn't get the Snatch goal. Moved to Easy Strength and just finished that this month. Still working on the Snatch goal.

Time for a form check video? Maybe do it with a cup of water to make things interesting. Haha

What he said.

Yeah, probably time for a form check video.  Honestly, they were bad enough that it was quite clear where form was failing.  *cringe*  Back to naked Turks.  ;)

• Like 1

Rangering since Sept 2015

Yea I remember trying to look up that test for it when Elastigirl mentioned it in her thread, it was really hard to find and then a little confusing wether you could use 2 kb's for the presses, which would make it a lot easier. 

A question btw, is it a very strict military press? No legs at all?

How are you working on the snatch goal? 

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Yea I remember trying to look up that test for it when Elastigirl mentioned it in her thread, it was really hard to find and then a little confusing wether you could use 2 kb's for the presses, which would make it a lot easier. 

Why would using 2 kb's make it easier. I thought that would make it harder? Yep, strict military press

• Like 1

Watched my swing and TGU videos today.My swing is improving, but I still need to get better. Key areas to work on; with the 35lb a more snappy swing, with the 44lb I have a tendency to let it pull me, I need to plank hard at the top and stand tall.

This article talks about some good drills to learn the swings. I did some of them for a while, but I need to keep them in as part of my daily practice.

http://tonygentilcore.com/2016/01/layering-the-kettlebell-swing/

• Like 4

I think I am going to stick with the DVD that came with my set for a little while but, I may, based on the advice here, switch from 10lb to 15lb.  I just don't want to push myself too hard while learning basic forms.  However, I don't want to be so light that I can't do proper form.

It's a Catch-22.  I don't feel comfortable with 15lbs because, well, it is heavier than I normally did exercise videos with in the past.  However, if I work with the 10lb when learning the forms, I may learn them wrong and then hurt myself when I get to the 15lb.

An interesting quandary for sure.

Will probably purchase S&S for next month.  The challenge this month is just to learn some of the basic forms.

• Like 1

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - GK Chesterton

Character | Intro | Battle Log | Runkeeper | MyFitnessPal | CTPG

Challenges: #1

Current Epic Quest:

Start: Jan. 3, 2016

End Goal: May 2017

Walk to Mordor and Back, Plus Grey Havens

.8%
.8%

Seeker, if you're enjoying the videos, don't feel compelled to switch. Do what you enjoy and will keep doing. There's a few I've done online that I've enjoyed, they provide much needed diversity after the monotony of S&S.

• Like 4

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Yes, strict.

Right now I'm aiming for being able to knock out 100 with a 24kg in 5:00 on any given day. Maybe try to work 30 consecutive each side and go from there. I'm just doing one-arm Swings, sometimes high pulls with the 32kg and some high-rep snatching with 16kg. My main problem seems to be my hands blistering at around 80.

Why would using 2 kb's make it easier. I thought that would make it harder? Yep, strict military press

Because you have to stay upright. It's harder to root to the ground and stabilize when only one side is loaded. It's like a Farmer's Carry vs. a Suitcase Carry.

• Like 1

Yes, strict.

Right now I'm aiming for being able to knock out 100 with a 24kg in 5:00 on any given day. Maybe try to work 30 consecutive each side and go from there. I'm just doing one-arm Swings, sometimes high pulls with the 32kg and some high-rep snatching with 16kg. My main problem seems to be my hands blistering at around 80.

Because you have to stay upright. It's harder to root to the ground and stabilize when only one side is loaded. It's like a Farmer's Carry vs. a Suitcase Carry.

Ah, I see, thanks. 

• Like 1

Wow, you guys are great. Just read through (most...) of the last few day's posts. I don't have a lot to add..but am excited for your progress!

Taking things slowly isn't one of my quests per se, but I got myself in trouble last time by not doing so. 

Something about a marathon...

So I got the S&S book earlier this week, and started with the warmup today. Felt great :)

I'm thinking of just doing that the next few days before I travel, and starting back into swings after. 

I also got a notification that my next kettlebell was "damaged during delivery". I won't get to its location until Thursday....but how do you "damage" a cannonball with a handle during delivery?  I have a feeling the 'bell damaged someone..or someone..else more than it was damaged itself. 

Hopefully it just fell on some more  stuff and everyones fine. We shall see on Thursday!

• Like 1

In Pursuit Of...Life, Love and Happiness

Level 2 Amazon

[sTR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 2 | WIS 6 | CHA 6]

Weight Loss from 225 to 175

20%
20%

Inch Loss Goals 2016: 20 Total Inches (Hips, Waist, L Bicep, L Thigh): 

7.5%
7.5%

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Character Page

Challenges: 1, 2, 3

Actually I just meant for that benchmark. For example for a third of my bodyweight i'd have to press 24kg, so if I could use 2x12kg that would be waaaaay easier. Not because of the balance but because my single arm doesn't have to be quite so strong. 

Normally I'd say pressing 1x24kg is easier than 2x24kg. Or jerking for that matter.. it's why you see women do 100+ longcycles with 1x24kg, but I think the record for 2x24kg is somewhere around 45.

Can you get the 200 with 16kg? You don't happen to have a 20kg bell? 

When your hands blister, is it on the way up or on the way down?

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Wow, you guys are great. Just read through (most...) of the last few day's posts. I don't have a lot to add..but am excited for your progress!

Taking things slowly isn't one of my quests per se, but I got myself in trouble last time by not doing so. 

Something about a marathon...

So I got the S&S book earlier this week, and started with the warmup today. Felt great :)

I'm thinking of just doing that the next few days before I travel, and starting back into swings after. 

I also got a notification that my next kettlebell was "damaged during delivery". I won't get to its location until Thursday....but how do you "damage" a cannonball with a handle during delivery?  I have a feeling the 'bell damaged someone..or someone..else more than it was damaged itself. 

Hopefully it just fell on some more  stuff and everyones fine. We shall see on Thursday!

That sounds like it would be an interesting story to hear. Maybe the kettlebell should have been marked fragile? :D

Actually I just meant for that benchmark. For example for a third of my bodyweight i'd have to press 24kg, so if I could use 2x12kg that would be waaaaay easier. Not because of the balance but because my single arm doesn't have to be quite so strong. 

Normally I'd say pressing 1x24kg is easier than 2x24kg. Or jerking for that matter.. it's why you see women do 100+ longcycles with 1x24kg, but I think the record for 2x24kg is somewhere around 45.

Can you get the 200 with 16kg? You don't happen to have a 20kg bell? 

When your hands blister, is it on the way up or on the way down?

I've always seen the double press done with two big weights, and thought it was way beyond me. But now I think it would be fun to try and press my smaller weights.

• Like 1