Killin' It With Kettlebells

I also got a notification that my next kettlebell was "damaged during delivery". I won't get to its location until Thursday....but how do you "damage" a cannonball with a handle during delivery?  I have a feeling the 'bell damaged someone..or someone..else more than it was damaged itself. 

Hopefully it just fell on some more  stuff and everyones fine. We shall see on Thursday!

Haha. Where did you order your kettlebell? I think if you manage to break a DragonDoor one they replace it for free. I remember having my 32kg delivered, I met the FedEx guy at his truck with a dolly, just to not be a dick.

Can you get the 200 with 16kg? You don't happen to have a 20kg bell? 

When your hands blister, is it on the way up or on the way down?

Yeah, 200 in 10 is doable with a 16kg. I have a 20kg, but it's not really ideal for high-rep snatching. It's one of those cheap ones with a really thick and rough handle.

I think it's right at the downswing. My left tears right at the callus line (I always neglect to shave them down), and both hands tear at the center of the palm.

• Like 1

I think it's right at the downswing. My left tears right at the callus line (I always neglect to shave them down), and both hands tear at the center of the palm.

Center of the palm is a sign you're holding it too tight, which means your wrist is probably at an angle and then the kb will always move in your hand (that's what causes the tears as I'm sure you know). Try holding it just a liiiittle lower in your fingers, so thát part of your palm isn't actually even touching the kettlebell.

Right at the callus is catching it too early, means the kb is still at an angle and not in line with your arm at the moment you catch it. Easier said than done to catch it later, but you could practice both of these things by doing cleans. Swingy cleans, like snatches that don't go quite as high ;)

• Like 2

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Time for a form check video? Maybe do it with a cup of water to make things interesting. Haha

Tricking other people into dumping water on themselves are we, Machete? :playful:   I did do the TGU's with the cup of water yesterday (as you suggested on my challenge thread). The first one went fine, though the cup wobbled on the roll-up. I managed to stop in time and did better after that. On the second side though the cup fell on the roll-up. I caught it before it dumped all the water out, but I still ended up doing the rest of my workout with a big water stain on my shirt. Being a glutton for punishment, I did start over after that and managed to do the TGU on that side without losing the water again.

• Like 6

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

Tricking other people into dumping water on themselves are we, Machete? :playful:   I did do the TGU's with the cup of water yesterday (as you suggested on my challenge thread). The first one went fine, though the cup wobbled on the roll-up. I managed to stop in time and did better after that. On the second side though the cup fell on the roll-up. I caught it before it dumped all the water out, but I still ended up doing the rest of my workout with a big water stain on my shirt. Being a glutton for punishment, I did start over after that and managed to do the TGU on that side without losing the water again.

WOOT for trying again super tenacity and for the win pay off of success.

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Center of the palm is a sign you're holding it too tight, which means your wrist is probably at an angle and then the kb will always move in your hand (that's what causes the tears as I'm sure you know). Try holding it just a liiiittle lower in your fingers, so thát part of your palm isn't actually even touching the kettlebell.

Right at the callus is catching it too early, means the kb is still at an angle and not in line with your arm at the moment you catch it. Easier said than done to catch it later, but you could practice both of these things by doing cleans. Swingy cleans, like snatches that don't go quite as high ;)

I'll try that.

Also, on the downswing, does it matter you have an internally rotated shoulder, "thumbs down", or is it personal preference?

Is there a video of that?

paintings-or-it-didnt-happen-247x300.jpg

• Like 2

I'll try that.

Also, on the downswing, does it matter you have an internally rotated shoulder, "thumbs down", or is it personal preference?

If you have thumb forward like the girl has, then you have to bend over more to make sure your arm stays straight, but it's easier to rotate it at the top. Most prefer to not do it like the girl, but a lot entirely internally rotate and have the thumb pointing in the opposite direction, which is a very bad idea. What the guy does there is where most people ought to be.

In october I did a 5 minute set (for fun, after a competition), with a single switch (100x16kg). Doing it without setting it down allows you to go a little slower each rep, which means you can pay a lot more attention to how you're regripping it. I'm on the left.

Some inspiration: girl with the yellow shoes on the left lifts a 24kg for 200 reps in 9:53, with a single switch. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCazd2hBwJs

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

Even more impressed with your feat. I tried it several times (the cowards way-empty glass) yesterday and today, and never could do it. Dang glass would not stay still. Maybe tomorrow I'll try it with velcro :playful:

• Like 3

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

How did everyone's first week go? 

Mine went pretty good. I finally feel like I'm progressing on my 35# TGU, so that makes me happy.

• Like 3

Even more impressed with your feat. I tried it several times (the cowards way-empty glass) yesterday and today, and never could do it. Dang glass would not stay still. Maybe tomorrow I'll try it with velcro :playful:

I actually think it would be easier with water in the glass. If you're using a plastic one, it isn't going to be very heavy and will be more likely to fall off. If you want to NOT get water on yourself, maybe try to find a cup with a lid (if I'd had one I would have used it).

• Like 1

Battle Log

How did everyone's first week go? 

Mine went pretty good. I finally feel like I'm progressing on my 35# TGU, so that makes me happy.

My first week went okay. It's nice to feel like I'm back where I was at least.

This week is going better though, since I've moved up to doing the first 2/3 of the TGU with the 8kg 'bell now. I go up to the upright kneeling position and then back down.

• Like 2

Battle Log

First full week of S&S has gone well. I did the full routine four times last week, and twice did just a short session of either swings or get-up drills because I was really exhausted.

I'm up to the full 10x10 swings, working my way from 35lb/16kg to the 24kg. The 16kg are one-handed, but the 24kg are mostly two-handed. My grip is not strong enough for more than a set or so of the one-handed swings with 24kg. A real kb with a rigid handle will likely help this, but either way, I'm working on it.

I'm working on my form with the TGUs, unweighted. I've been drilling them with my phone balanced on my fist, and especially drilling the "lift the hips" part. My shoulders are kind of wobbly on that transition, so I need to smooth this bit out. I'm working out in a small space, and on the descent, if I don't set my butt back down right next to my heel, where it started, I end up rolling into things. But I feel like I've got the hang of where my feet and hand need to be positioned to give me good leverage. 

• Like 3

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #22 Weasel does 500 Pullups

I actually think it would be easier with water in the glass. If you're using a plastic one, it isn't going to be very heavy and will be more likely to fall off. If you want to NOT get water on yourself, maybe try to find a cup with a lid (if I'd had one I would have used it).

Hadn't thought of that. Could just use a water bottle, I have one that is shaped about like a glass. 

• Like 1

First full week of S&S has gone well. I did the full routine four times last week, and twice did just a short session of either swings or get-up drills because I was really exhausted.

I'm up to the full 10x10 swings, working my way from 35lb/16kg to the 24kg. The 16kg are one-handed, but the 24kg are mostly two-handed. My grip is not strong enough for more than a set or so of the one-handed swings with 24kg. A real kb with a rigid handle will likely help this, but either way, I'm working on it.

I'm working on my form with the TGUs, unweighted. I've been drilling them with my phone balanced on my fist, and especially drilling the "lift the hips" part. My shoulders are kind of wobbly on that transition, so I need to smooth this bit out. I'm working out in a small space, and on the descent, if I don't set my butt back down right next to my heel, where it started, I end up rolling into things. But I feel like I've got the hang of where my feet and hand need to be positioned to give me good leverage. 

It will be interesting to see your progress when you switch to a real bell, I bet everything will suddenly be so much easier. On the TGU, knowing where to place your hands is super helpful

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see your progress when you switch to a real bell, I bet everything will suddenly be so much easier. On the TGU, knowing where to place your hands is super helpful

My workout space is under construction, just plywood-type subflooring, so I attempted to mark the floor with appropriate hand and foot locations, to avoid punching the light fixture on the way up or rolling into something on the way down. But I need to scoot over when I switch sides, so the markings got all confusing. Oh well. I'm getting more accurate, but I still often end up partially under the weight bench on the way down.

I'm definitely getting a 50lb bell at the end of the month as my reward for doing S&S consistently. I found one for $55, but it is still kind of a big purchase for me. I am very enthusiastic about having a good rigid handle and a nice compact and well-balanced load. (Yay, iron! Yay, one-handed swings!) I'll be travelling most of February, so I am also motivated by not having to explain this duct-taped monster to the various nice yuppies I will be staying with. (*I* think it is awesome, but some people just don't appreciate DIY...)

I can probably afford to get one smaller bell in addition, if I'm really good about doing the routine consistently, but I keep dithering over what to get. I've been using about 20lbs for the mobility warmup, but I think I should switch to something lighter for the halos. It is occasionally tweaking my left shoulder a little. I'm not sure if the 20lb bell would be easier than a rock, due to reduced awkwardness and improved grip, or harder, because I'm currently holding the weight entirely between my hands, giving me better leverage. But I don't need to decide for another two weeks. Either way, I can use that one for getups for a bit, and then buy a 35lb later when I am smooth and confident with the smaller one. 

• Like 3

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #22 Weasel does 500 Pullups

Tried Snatching 24kg on Sunday. Got to 80 at 4:30, then the song ran out. No tears, slight blister on the callus line under the pinkie. Actively trying to not point the thumbs back.

You're making me want to get back into snatch tests. At my best that's where I was but it's been a while and I've lost alot of it.

• Like 2

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

Tried Snatching 24kg on Sunday. Got to 80 at 4:30, then the song ran out. No tears, slight blister on the callus line under the pinkie. Actively trying to not point the thumbs back.

You're making me want to get back into snatch tests. At my best that's where I was but it's been a while and I've lost alot of it.

You're both making me jealous, wish I could do 80 reps in a row with the 24kg x)

• Like 2

You're both making me jealous, wish I could do 80 reps in a row with the 24kg x)

It's multi hand switch, or mine was anyway. I tore the crap out of my hands from minutes 6-10 that time. 

That's why I quit snatching, I got tired of tears and I've never learned the GS snatch properly. That said, I've lost a lot my not practicing the snatch.

• Like 1

It's multi hand switch, or mine was anyway. I tore the crap out of my hands from minutes 6-10 that time. 

That's why I quit snatching, I got tired of tears and I've never learned the GS snatch properly. That said, I've lost a lot by not practicing the snatch.

It's odd, but my single or multi switch with 24kg are very close together, because it's not my grip that gives. I just dont have the strength-endurance for it :/

Usually people take about 2 months of 2x a week to get beyond tears. I never had the problem at all, perhaps because I started with no fitness and went easy. Or I went full out nerd on technique first, that could be it too ;)

• Like 1

It's odd, but my single or multi switch with 24kg are very close together, because it's not my grip that gives. I just dont have the strength-endurance for it :/

Usually people take about 2 months of 2x a week to get beyond tears. I never had the problem at all, perhaps because I started with no fitness and went easy. Or I went full out nerd on technique first, that could be it too ;)

When I did my ten minute test I was using an RKC style snatch and had been training for three or four years but I did 209 or so of them. Attempting GS snatches I don't recall my best but I think with a 24 it was around 50-60 per hand but I was getting a hand tear most weeks. I simply don't have the technique down and have never been around someone I can learn from.

• Like 1

When I did my ten minute test I was using an RKC style snatch and had been training for three or four years but I did 209 or so of them. Attempting GS snatches I don't recall my best but I think with a 24 it was around 50-60 per hand but I was getting a hand tear most weeks. I simply don't have the technique down and have never been around someone I can learn from.

It's possible to not tear even if technique is still lacking. It's just..... not letting it slide through your hand. It's not that hard. And if it is, then the kettlebell is too heavy to practice it properly.

• Like 1

Just don't fill it too full. I think 1/3 to 1/2 full is probably the sweet spot for enough weight and the weight doesn't go too high up the glass so it will stay balanced.

Practiced for about 15 minutes today (with a lidded glass) only partial success and many failures, so I switched to the shoe. The shoe drill was a breeze after that. Then did another glass attempt, and success! Couldn't do it again though.I'll try tomorrow. Now it is something to conquer.

• Like 2

Practiced for about 15 minutes today (with a lidded glass) only partial success and many failures, so I switched to the shoe. The shoe drill was a breeze after that. Then did another glass attempt, and success! Couldn't do it again though.I'll try tomorrow. Now it is something to conquer.

I know what you mean about the shoe being a breeze. It was SOOO nice to switch back to the shoe after the glass of water, I was almost going too fast. I bet it will be easier tomorrow. That seemed to be the way it always goes with me and the TGU's. If something is really tough one day, it's a lot easier the next.

Battle Log