annyshay

Shrimp squats always confuse me so much (although probably they would confuse shrimps even more...) It seems there's a massive mobility block when I get down past halfway.... not a terrible issue for pistol squats but a complete blocker for shrimp squats. Do you find that strength or mobility is the blocking feature that is stopping you from being able to descend further?

Next time you eat with the colleague, maybe hunt your food and eat it raw without using your hands like a real baby T-rex?

• Like 2

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

@Dan - Hmm you do need some quad flexibility for shrimp squats but I'd think you're fine. Maybe try to get into the bottom position on the floor and work your way up instead? 

Thanks Mad-but-Wise Hatter, I just managed my first two shrimp squats within 30 seconds of reading your post :)

• Like 3

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Noooo, you have to wait on your light! :nightmare: I love reading about how you are taking control of your cravings and learning to mindfully eat, and whenever you don't (like the pastry) you just acknowledge it and move on.

Thanks, EG!  I am hoping that getting my mind in a good place and habits will work much better than all the yoyo shenanigans of my past.

Shrimp squats always confuse me so much (although probably they would confuse shrimps even more...) It seems there's a massive mobility block when I get down past halfway.... not a terrible issue for pistol squats but a complete blocker for shrimp squats. Do you find that strength or mobility is the blocking feature that is stopping you from being able to descend further?

Next time you eat with the colleague, maybe hunt your food and eat it raw without using your hands like a real baby T-rex?

Truthfully, I think the biggest block for me is actually balance at this point.  My ankles are like, WTH.

Mwahahahahaha.  Civilized society is overrated.

awkward-eating-beast.gif

@Dan - Hmm you do need some quad flexibility for shrimp squats but I'd think you're fine. Maybe try to get into the bottom position on the floor and work your way up instead? 

What are your thoughts on putting a yoga block down for a target, O Wise One?

Thanks Mad-but-Wise Hatter, I just managed my first two shrimp squats within 30 seconds of reading your post :)

Damn Dan.  Props!

• Like 3

Love as thou wilt.

So, here is a cool craving experiment we tried at home.  My daughter got an EEG brainwaves headband for Xmas (son did as well because my kids take after their Nerd Mom).  It records different brainwaves and shows how focused you are or how meditative.  DD put it on and then took out a piece of her favorite candy.  We watch the monitor and her focus and meditation shot up to 100% with the very first bite.  (Was pretty funny).  The readings stayed at 100% for bites 2 and 3 then dropped to 60% on bite 4. She finished the chocolate and never got her readings back up past 60%.  I had heard that the first 2-3 bites of something were all the body/brain needed to satisfy a craving but I didn't really believe it or understand how anyone would know that.  Now I get it!  Something to think about when a craving hits.  Maybe take a pastry and cut it in half then let yourself enjoy 3 perfect bites and move on.

• Like 7

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

So, here is a cool craving experiment we tried at home.  My daughter got an EEG brainwaves headband for Xmas (son did as well because my kids take after their Nerd Mom).  It records different brainwaves and shows how focused you are or how meditative.  DD put it on and then took out a piece of her favorite candy.  We watch the monitor and her focus and meditation shot up to 100% with the very first bite.  (Was pretty funny).  The readings stayed at 100% for bites 2 and 3 then dropped to 60% on bite 4. She finished the chocolate and never got her readings back up past 60%.  I had heard that the first 2-3 bites of something were all the body/brain needed to satisfy a craving but I didn't really believe it or understand how anyone would know that.  Now I get it!  Something to think about when a craving hits.  Maybe take a pastry and cut it in half then let yourself enjoy 3 perfect bites and move on.

Oooooh... that is awesome.  Science for the win.  Adds to list of experiments.  ;)

Annyshay.  Mindful Hobbit.  For science!

a-fine-day-for-science%2B%25281%2529.png

• Like 4

Love as thou wilt.

Day 6

Nourishing Eating - no screens, pastry as above (thanks for all the new possible approaches, friends), did NOT buy chocolate at the grocery store (wiiiiiiin), enjoyed one glass of wine after dinner

Eating the Moment Experiment #4 - Texture of food.  I paid attention at breakfast to all the textures in my usual breakfast (2 fried eggs and hash of potatoes, onions, and peppers).  My eggs were a bit more done than I prefer with a chalky consistency to the first yoke.  The second yoke had more of the gelatinous ooze that I really love.  The hash was super delightful today with the squashy mouthfeel that I enjoy and the charred bits that give it a nice crunch on the outside.  Omnomnom.  I love my home breakfasts so much that getting potatoes out at brunch is less enjoyable anymore.  I haz home brunch skillz.

Nourishing Movement - IS2w2d3

Warm Up

Three circuits of ze following with 2 minutes rest in between:
Broad Jumps - smooth & solid x2, snappy & solid (excellent form!)
3/4 Shrimp Squat - rough & challenging, broken & challenging, rough & challenging
Push Up - smooth & solid x3
Halfway Bridge - smooth & solid x3
Chin Up (Jump, Hold, Negative) - smooth & solid x3
Inverted Press (I seem to have lost the most momentum here... or am already frying my push muscles with the mini and stuffs) -
feet up variation - rough & challenging
head to floor variation - broken & max effort
weight to front variation - rough & challenging
Tuck L-sit - rough & challenging x3
Hollow Body Series - smooth & solid x3

Really proud of this workout in particular.  I mindfully pushed my boundaries and found where I can level up (shrimp squats, L-sits) and where I'm not ready yet (chin ups, inverted press).  Next week, we get down to business.  Excellent!

Nourishing Sleep - bright lights of the computer in the morning, napped in the afternoon after meditating, screens off at 8pm... slept for 11 hours  :D

Keeping Track - yup yup, plan for weekly wrap up later today

• Like 5

Love as thou wilt.

WEEKLY WRAP UP

Goal The First = Nourishing Eating

• Eating the Moment Experiments - 4/5 currently

• No screens while eating - 19/21 currently

Goal the Second = Nourishing Movement

• GMB IS workouts - 4/4

• Lindy hop, yoga (Deep Release for the Shoulders and Neck)

Goal the Third = Nourishing Sleep

• 30 minutes of light in AM - 7/7

• electronics off at 8:00 - 6/7 currently

Life Goal = Keeping Track

• "Red Book" spreadsheet - 7/7

• Weekly Review - 1/1

LESSONS LEARNED

• Doctor’s lounge is an eating trigger

• Always be batman

• I like to move it, move it

• Sweet, sweet sleep

TO BE IMPROVED

• More tea, less sweets

• Patiently awaiting my light

• Stop comparing current IS performance to where I ended before vacation

• No capes?

NEXT WEEK

Monday:  IS2w3d1 - Strength and Power Circuit

Tuesday: IS2w3d2 - Strength and Endurance Supersets

Wednesday: IS2w3d3 - Active Recovery = Lindy Hop Lesson

Thursday: IS2w3d4 - Strength and Power Circuit

Friday: IS2w3d5 - Strength and Endurance Supersets

• deadline for work conference submission

Saturday: IS2w3d6 - Acitve Recovery = TBD

Sunday: REST DAY

Adulting:

• grocery shopping/get quarters

• laundry (including bed linens)

• budget

• book flights (work conference and Uganda!)

14e10f6d736ae92b2d8dfa7130d14b08.jpg

• Like 4

Love as thou wilt.

I can't believe they sent your light back!

Otherwise there are so many gains and goals met and situations where you were just awesome, I can't single them out. I think you had a great! week1. I like how you describe your eating experiments, makes me wonder about my food textures, mood, feelings...
Way to go, li'l Hobbit! :loyal:

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

Most productive of hobbitses.

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Day 7

Nourishing Eating - no screens... can't remember my experiment.  Sorry!  I fail.

Nourishing Movement - "rest day" did a ton of push up variations for the mini (note to self... you are not Nymeria... this is NOT rest)

Nourishing Sleep - lights in the morning, no electronics after 8pm

Keeping Track - close enough!

• Like 5

Love as thou wilt.

Awesome! I really like your food experiments, even though I'm now jonesing for some hash of potatoes and runny yolks.. Omg..

Always a good plan ;)  Glad you're enjoying.

I can't believe they sent your light back!

Otherwise there are so many gains and goals met and situations where you were just awesome, I can't single them out. I think you had a great! week1. I like how you describe your eating experiments, makes me wonder about my food textures, mood, feelings...

Way to go, li'l Hobbit! :loyal:

Right?  Outrage!  Share your thoughts about food experiments?  It makes me think new thoughts too.

Awesome first week!

Many thanks!

LOL @Always be Batman. :)

What are you going to do in Uganda? Not quite your average Joe travel destination!

Life lessons.

I am neither average, nor a Joe.  Sorry, yes Uganda is actually for work more than travel.  I'n FINALLY getting to go do some of my doctoring and research abroad.  More details as plans come, heh.

Very amazing first week and you summarized it nicely! 

Yay!

Great first week! Good work!

Are you flying to Uganda? Wow! When?

Yes.  Not sure yet?!  Right around Easter?  (March 28th).  Stupid work has been so busy I can't get my other work done... ;)

Most productive of hobbitses.

Awww, thanks!  Sure doesn't feel like it this week, but I do try.

• Like 4

Love as thou wilt.

Great first week! Love your wrap up, and how you wrote out what you achieved, and what you needed to improve on. And of course, there is no question on this:

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Day 8

No but seriously.  Work.  Calm down.  All the busy paperwork shenanigans this week.  Took me almost 12 hours to do all the bare minimum tasks.  :(

Nourishing Eating - screen at lunch because work was nuuuuuts, but I don't think it counts, all other meals screen free

Eating the Moment - Experiment #1 - Strangely enough, one of the next things in the book was about trying to make it a habit to really experience and savor the first bite of food.  It broke it down into the following seven steps:

1) Decide what bit you want to eat

2) Physically manipulate ze food

3) Place food in mouth

4) Taste

5) Chew

6) Swallow

7) Pause

Simple, but not easy.  I could definitely remember to do all the steps in order on the first bite, however the rest of each meal these started to bleed into each other, especially 4-7.  I would try to notice that and start fresh.  Interesting and probably a practice I will want to continue with.

Nourishing Movement - IS2w3d1 - Strength and Power Circuit

Three time through this circuit, 2 minutes rest between.

Broad Jumps - smooth & solid x3
Shrimp Squat (yoga block) - rough & challenging x3
Chin Up (Jump, Hold, Neg) - smooth & solid x3
Tuck L-sit - rough & challenging x3

Jogging in place - 1 min on, 1 min off x3

Trying to up my progressions is hard, but I think I'll get there.  I like the yoga block as a mark of depth... but it makes the coordination even harder.  I'll give it another day before I decide yay or nay.

Nourishing Sleep - lights in the morning, electronics off at 8:09 - close enough since I had less than a half hour of time that I wasn't working (whine whine whine)

Keeping Track - started recording data for the experiential happiness PvP (will sort and report later)

- on track

As much as I whine about my job, I truly love what I do.  Today was a great example of the awesome sorts of patients I get to meet every day.  That said, less paperwork would be nice.  ;)

• Like 6

Love as thou wilt.

Day 9

Nourishing Eating - no screens, too many cookies, but not hungry for dinner so just having some bone broth *shrug*

Eating the Moment - Experiment #2 - Annyshay walks into the physician lounge (site of free hobbit pastries).  Annyshay makes tea and then walks over to the pastries.  She looks at them and asks herself "Annyshay? Do you want to try to take one bite of any of these."  No!  "Then we're not having any."  And then Annyshay walked away!

Sadly, Annyshay will never think this about free cookies, especially when lunch is delayed until 2:30 because of reasons.  Still, progress.

Nourishing Movement - IS2w3d2 - Strength and Endurance Supersets

Had some serious push up DOMS this morning as well as IDONTWANNAs.  So I did it this evening - fueled by cookies.  ;)

Warm Up

Inverted Press into Push Up then 2 minutes rest
(all smooth & solid x3)

Hollow Body Series into Half Bridge then 2 minutes rest
(HBS - smooth & solid x2, Half Bridge - rough & solid, smooth & challenging, smooth & solid)

Repeat whole thing three times.

Then jump rope for 1 minute, rest for 1 minute x3

Nourishing Sleep - still no fancy lamp but I spent a lot of time with my phone blaring into my eyes this morning, will turn off electronics at 8pm

Keeping Track - hard to keep up on happiness notations today, but everything else is working out well

I hope I can catch up on life some more tomorrow.  Also, it is for realz Minneasota winter lately.  Negative numbers FTW (-6 deg F this morning)!

• Like 4

Love as thou wilt.

W.r.t. food experiments, what hit me was that certain food textures compliment other food stuffs, example all the food on your plate shouldn't be soft foods, there must be a change, and then what tastes do you put together. Breakfast this morning were baked eggs, with grilled mushrooms and haloumi cheese. The cheese I just fried in butter, but I added Cajun spice to the mushrooms, and those two together with the eggs, was just yummy together! Or grilled chicken with a bit of orange juice (sauce), and then making broccoli with that.

Awesome that you walked away from the Dangerous Doctors' Lounge! Practice a bit more on the cookies :nevreness:.

Eish going to Uganda! I assume whom ever organises it have security measures, etc. in place, otherwise they won't get people willing to help? Best of luck and that is such a commitment from you :loyal:

• Like 2

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."