RisenPhoenix Refocuses on the Journey

RisenPhoenix

My partner is re-playing DA:O while he is on break. I've watched some of it. I understand the appeal, but it is not calling to me right now. Repetitive fight scenes get boring. I would love to get into a strategy/resource management game again. Running Ubuntu instead of Windows makes that harder. Having multiple other uses for my time makes it harder still. But I still fantasize about gaming. Some day I will have time again. Probably when I'm retired.

Level 59  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

Well I seem to have been hit by a bug of some kind.  Hacking up a lung, general apathy for significant movement, and really sore throat.  Sigh, and here I was, hoping my weekend would be productively relaxing.

So it's a good thing that Friday night after work I hit up the gym.  Workout, plus commentary, behind the spoiler to save space.

Squats:

45# x5

95# x5

125#x5

145# @ 5x3

Given how I felt on last Saturday, I was expecting these to be harder.  They weren't easy, but I could have probably pushed through it and jumped the weight to at least 155#.  Legs this morning seem fine so far, so cheers for that.

Bench:

45# x5

95# x5

115# x5

135# @ 5x3

Again, these I was expecting to be worse.  I'm still thinking it's a good thing I stuck these here with this weight, but who knows.  Maybe I could have gotten another 5 pounds on the bar.

Deads:

135# x5

155# x5 (Mixed Grip)

185# x5 (MG)

225# x5 (MG)

These worry me.  Not for the weight - I definitely could have upped it at least by another 20 pounds and been fine - but for my finger.  I stopped lifting when SFG kicked my hand and kinda broke it.  I'm starting to think it's less "Kinda broke" and more "Actually broke," or at least a hairline fracture that's not healing.  My left middle finger, between the knuckle and the first joint was screaming in pain.  Even when I switched to a mixed grip it was giving grief.  It didn't really bother me on the 185 or 225 pulls though, which is strange.  I don't know.  As much as I hate it, I may need to get straps to do deadlifts, if this keeps up.  Probably should go see my doctor about maybe getting an Xray or something....

So lifts are going okay.  Mint is fun.  Self care has been almost daily.  Only thing potentially missing for the week is I may not make 5 aikido classes this week if I still feel like crap in the morning.  We shall see.

Not a terrible start to the challenge, I think, though.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Well I seem to have been hit by a bug of some kind. Hacking up a lung, general apathy for significant movement, and really sore throat. Sigh, and here I was, hoping my weekend would be productively relaxing.

So it's a good thing that Friday night after work I hit up the gym. Workout, plus commentary, behind the spoiler to save space.

Squats:

45# x5

95# x5

125#x5

145# @ 5x3

Given how I felt on last Saturday, I was expecting these to be harder. They weren't easy, but I could have probably pushed through it and jumped the weight to at least 155#. Legs this morning seem fine so far, so cheers for that.

Bench:

45# x5

95# x5

115# x5

135# @ 5x3

Again, these I was expecting to be worse. I'm still thinking it's a good thing I stuck these here with this weight, but who knows. Maybe I could have gotten another 5 pounds on the bar.

Deads:

135# x5

155# x5 (Mixed Grip)

185# x5 (MG)

225# x5 (MG)

These worry me. Not for the weight - I definitely could have upped it at least by another 20 pounds and been fine - but for my finger. I stopped lifting when SFG kicked my hand and kinda broke it. I'm starting to think it's less "Kinda broke" and more "Actually broke," or at least a hairline fracture that's not healing. My left middle finger, between the knuckle and the first joint was screaming in pain. Even when I switched to a mixed grip it was giving grief. It didn't really bother me on the 185 or 225 pulls though, which is strange. I don't know. As much as I hate it, I may need to get straps to do deadlifts, if this keeps up. Probably should go see my doctor about maybe getting an Xray or something....

So lifts are going okay. Mint is fun. Self care has been almost daily. Only thing potentially missing for the week is I may not make 5 aikido classes this week if I still feel like crap in the morning. We shall see.

Not a terrible start to the challenge, I think, though.

Totally possibly me who brought the sickness and contaminated your house. Based on I started with the sore throat coughing Saturday last week. Whoops.

If the pain has persisted multiple weeks and isn't getting better and is interfering with life. Get it looked it. Don't hope it'll take care of itself.

Yeah, don't mess around with your hands, they're fiddly and a bitch to heal properly.

I third these wise people. Take care.

So, you're all correct.  I probably should have someone look at them closely.  But..... I was talking to our resident medical hobbit (ie: Cheechoe) and she mentioned that all they would do is send me to an Xray, which at best would show a slowly healing hairline fracture, and they would just say to tape it together.  Because really, the fingers function, it's just a matter of strength and sometimes a bit of stiffness. 

That being said, I'm probably scheduling a doctor's appointment for a totally different reason, and will ask about the fingers while I'm there.

Totally possibly me who brought the sickness and contaminated your house. Based on I started with the sore throat coughing Saturday last week. Whoops.

WHY DID YOU GET ME SICK.

Seriously.  Hacking up a lung, sinuses hate me, I have the croakiest voice ever.  I'm feeling like crap.  Long live NyQuil/DayQuil.  Also the fact that this hellhole of a job at least has unlimited sick time.  (Because scientists are extra notorious for refusing to stop mid-multiday experiments for silly things like personal health.)

Okay, week 1 wrap up:

1) The Art: 4/5 classes attended.

Okay, I don't feel bad about missing this one.  Normally I go to Saturday and/or Sunday classes, but this sickness has me wiped out.  Getting flipped upside down when sinuses are acting up is not fun.  So I stayed home and ate and tried to be a bit productive.  The last bit didn't work too much - best I can say is I got a hair cut, got grocery shopping done, and found a few jobs to apply for at some point in the near future.  The last one was a battle, too.  Neither here nor there.

I'd love to say that I'll get all the classes in this week.  But I'm still feeling sick, and I have Company coming in Tuesday night for a week.  So who knows what my schedule will look like.

2) The Bar: One session in.

As above, got my lifts in at least.  Felt good to hold the bar again. Since Gains seems to be stalking my thread a bit, I should probably use the opportunity to post form videos...

3) The Coin: Using Mint like a Boss

Got this one out of the way early.  And I love it.  So many graphs and trends and analysis tools.  I already threw up goals of paying off my student loans (in 2 years, give or take) and saving up a 6 month emergency fund.  The current issue I'm having is the emergency fund and the student loans are kind of diachotomous.  And I think I need to prioritize the emergency fund for the near future.  We shall see how things look come the end of the month with using Mint and if I can scrape up some decent half-way point for them.

4) The Self: 6/7 Self care things.

Okay, so this weekend kind of was not a super recharge weekend, because I was sick.  But for the week, selfcare was pretty good, except on Wednesday, when things went to shit.  And on Thursday, I felt it.  Really badly.  Also had a friend tell me yesterday that he knows how I am (read: understands my introversion and how it usually works), and that it had been even more extreme/bad lately.  Which makes him the second person to notice a behavior change in me.  So I need more self care.  I just am stubborn about the next steps.

So, this week will prove interesting.  Company starting Tuesday night.   Visiting my parents this weekend.  But I have a long weekend, going from Friday (hopefully) until Tuesday.  Hoping it will give me some much needed energy.

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

So, you're all correct.  I probably should have someone look at them closely.  But..... I was talking to our resident medical hobbit (ie: Cheechoe) and she mentioned that all they would do is send me to an Xray, which at best would show a slowly healing hairline fracture, and they would just say to tape it together.  Because really, the fingers function, it's just a matter of strength and sometimes a bit of stiffness. 

Dude. How do you and I keep getting the same injuries? The hip flexor and the hand (and both of our hands injured by a training partner!). Are we actually the same person or something?

No wait, can't be, because we were in the same room at the same time and didn't annihilate one another like anti-particles, so... :D

• Like 1

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

Dude. How do you and I keep getting the same injuries? The hip flexor and the hand (and both of our hands injured by a training partner!). Are we actually the same person or something?

No wait, can't be, because we were in the same room at the same time and didn't annihilate one another like anti-particles, so... :D

He is not my training partner.  He was just some asshole sleeping in my office.

• Like 1

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

Long live NyQuil/DayQuil.  Also the fact that this hellhole of a job at least has unlimited sick time.  (Because scientists are extra notorious for refusing to stop mid-multiday experiments for silly things like personal health.)

...yay?

Other than the sicks throwing a wrench in the works, sounds like you had a strong Week 1. Week 2 may be cranking it up a notch!

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Day 1, Week 2.

I grumped my way through most of the day.  I will say, that good news dropped a bit - my company bonus came in.  I got a bonus of ~4%, which before taxes could front an entire month's worth of expenses for me (yes, I live more or less on half my salary - and less, if you take out if I had to pay my student loan minimum).  So that will pretty much all go into savings, to add to the emergency fund.  Best case scenario is I don't get a new job, and don't need all that money tucked away - and then use it to pay off one of my smaller loans.  Worst case scenario is I straight up quit my job and live off my emergency fund for a few months while I full-time look for something.  Either way, mo' money, mo' better.  Though I may actually buy myself a new Kindle with some of the money.  A bit of Treat Yo Self in there.

No aikido last night, because still sick.  It's up in the air if I'll actually go to class tonight.  I feel somewhat better, but I'm still hacking up a lung now and again, and my sinuses aren't super duper better.

Thus, self care was super important last night.

Got home, played some Dragon Age (also decided to skip playing Awakening and just go right to DA 2 from the end of this one, though it's still a few more hours to go), made a tasty dinner (pulled pork cooking all day?  yes please), and then watched The Expanse.  The Expanse as a show finally has me hooked.  Not shockingly, it's involved the Roci crew finally behaving like a crew, rather than people out to get one another.  The show is incredibly well put together, and the storylines are similar-but-different enough from the book that I'm curious to see where they go.  Like Game of Throne, it'll be a case of "Same story, different path," and with the exception of the Roci crew gripes I have, they've been doing it very well.  So that's nice.

Then I read book 2 of The Expanse series (Caliban's War - who's Caliban?  No idea yet).  I started Saturday and I'm 20% done already.  Went to bed early, slept fairly well.... until 2AM.  Tossed, turned, and then decided to break out my philosophy book for a while.  Read for 40 minutes until I feel back asleep. 

Now to survive today.  I'm actually feeling pretty solid, aside from the cold, sinuses, and hacking of a lung.  Progress.

• Like 2

You really, really should.  Especially if you're a fan of Firefly.

I will say, they start a bit slow, both the first and second book.  But they pick up like crazy.

Okay, gonna brave aikido.  Just one class, see how I feel.  Hopefully not dead, is the answer.

But it'll be good to feel the mat under my feet again.  After not being on it almost a whole week.

I swear, I'm not an addict.

• Like 3

But it'll be good to feel the mat under my back again.  After not being on it almost a whole week.

FTFY.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Hey man, I'm considering driving 30 miles north and back in the snow for lightsaber class tonight. Who says we're not addicts? :tongue:

Oi, drive safe!  My usual instructor tonight lives in NH these days, and bailed out of teaching because he didn't want to drive in that storm!

FTFY.

Truth.

Speaking of class.

Oh my gods, so good to be there.

Now, the class itself was kind of mundane.  Sensei has some favorite classes he likes to do, and this one is one of his classic ones.  Clearly I still have a long way in aikido and can learn stuff in this class, but it wasn't like anything thrown at me was a shock.

That being said, I got to see TWO members of the dojo who I have not seen in a long, long while.  I think it was last challenge I mentioned I'm having a hard time finding people at my currently level who are both capable of taking the ukemi I need and are willing to let me experiment, play, and try different movements.  It just so happens these two people are at my level, can take the ukemi, and are more than willing to let me experiment (and not get away with cheating).  So today, I had a blast getting to see friends who I hadn't seen in an age AND got to go decently hard for the 45 minutes of technical work we did.  It was great.  It once again reinforced how much I feel like the dojo is home, and how comfortable I am there and with the people who are members.  Yea, we're not a big "Go out for drinks after class" crowd.  But inside the dojo, it doesn't really matter.  We all clearly care about one another and how the other is faring in life.  For introvert me, this is a nigh-perfect environment.

In any case, it was a good night.  I definitely was feeling the effects of the cold, so I'm glad I only did one class.  Might do tomorrow's class, but that's still up in the air.  But I could if I wanted.  And Thursday, a friend is teaching a class, and I think it's his first class he's ever taught.  So I told him I would come to that.  Because he is another guy who I learn a whole lot from when we work together. (He, like my grading partner, has something like 12-15 years of experience in aikido, but only recently got his shodan, because of that whole pesky "raising children and having a family" thing.  Upside?  His entire family practices aikido, all enjoy it, and are all fantastically fun to work with.)

So.  Today was good.  Today was very, very good.

• Like 2

That's what we did emergency fund/loan wise. We have an emergency fund number in mind, and extra monies go to that until it's at that point, then loans get a boost on payoff speed after that occurs. After the baby, we upped that fund amount and are back to boosting it, but should finally be back to loan payoff in a few months as our triple paycheck month should get us to that new goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Yay Aikido and good days. Perhaps that is redundant... 

As an additional funny story from last night...

So I'm advanced enough at this point that a lot of my instructors don't have large, glaring things to tell me.  A lot of them are offering polishing comments, which all boil down to "Do aikido better."  More circles, more hip, lower center, the things that will take me a lifetime to maybe finally get down into my system.  Now, I just enjoy having things pointed out so I can focus on them more and see if I can get better.  As a result, a quip of mine to my instructors is now "Okay.  So basically just do aikido."  I have yet to see it not illicit at least a smirk. (At least on the people I use it on, including Sensei himself.)  So last night, Sensei was teaching, and I gave that quip.

I had been working with my grading partner (where I got to experience his first hakama trip!  It was adorable.  I laughed.  Totally at him.), and kind of relayed that sentiment.

"Yea, I'm just trying to do aikido," I said.

"Oh, it's taken you this long to do that?" he replied.

"Well, no.  I've been trying to do it for a while.  I just know enough now that I can actually act on it a bit."

"Ahhhh.  Yes."

"Besides," I continue. "Some asshole (read: My Grading Partner) seems to think I'm supposed to have a blackbelt in two years or something.  The Jerk."

"Oh, most definitely," was his reply.

I laughed.  And then tossed him across the room.

That's what we did emergency fund/loan wise. We have an emergency fund number in mind, and extra monies go to that until it's at that point, then loans get a boost on payoff speed after that occurs. After the baby, we upped that fund amount and are back to boosting it, but should finally be back to loan payoff in a few months as our triple paycheck month should get us to that new goal.

Yea, that's what I'm heavily thinking I'm doing.  I just have a weird relationship with my student loans.  I really want them gone.  No throwing money at them is a huge anxiety source for me, because I honestly do pretty damn well for a late 20-something bachelor.

Recently (read: last night as I was thumbing through Steve's book and my drive to work this morning), I've realized that mentality is inhibiting a lot of things.  A lot of my experience-driven epic quests are pretty much opposed against me using my funds for student loans.  Blacksmithing class?  Money that could be spent on loans.  Buy a decent camera and learn how to take good photography?  Decent cameras cost too much, let alone decent editing software.  Travel? Ha!  Hell, even paying for aikido seminars makes me cringe, and I love aikido.  So that mentality needs to shift. 

And on that note, I also realize time is a big issue I have.  I do not want to compromise my time on the mat practicing aikido.  Which means things like "take a class" or "learn a new skill" get sidelined, because I'd rather be on the mat.  Not that I feel that's a bad thing, but sometimes I do want to spread my wings more and do some other things.  Pretty much, I wish I had a Time Turner, so I don't have to skimp on getting my hours and skills up on the mat, but also get to experience some new things. 

If I was closer to getting my black belt, I feel like I'd be more inclined to branch out a bit more.  But I feel like I have such a long way to go, that I don't want to spare any time.  Which is stupid, since a black belt ultimately means nothing.  Hm.  That's an interesting thought to follow down that I just realized. 

Hey guys, I made a breakthrough mid post!

• Like 2

"Yea, I'm just trying to do aikido,"

In the style of all things worth doing, you're now through the beginner stuff and can start learning.

In that vein, a lot of the stuff that NF and Steve promote are not about mastery but about novelty. I think its great to keep a little novelty in life but it's really worthwhile to practice mastery of one or a few things. With that in mind, I'd really recommend you keep your mat time. Just make sure that when you go in, you know what you're trying to do and not simply going through the motions. Leave the novelty for other aspects of your life.

• Like 3

Barbarian of the Battle Logs

Battle Log

Yea, that's what I'm heavily thinking I'm doing.  I just have a weird relationship with my student loans.  I really want them gone.  No throwing money at them is a huge anxiety source for me, because I honestly do pretty damn well for a late 20-something bachelor.

Recently (read: last night as I was thumbing through Steve's book and my drive to work this morning), I've realized that mentality is inhibiting a lot of things.  A lot of my experience-driven epic quests are pretty much opposed against me using my funds for student loans.  Blacksmithing class?  Money that could be spent on loans.  Buy a decent camera and learn how to take good photography?  Decent cameras cost too much, let alone decent editing software.  Travel? Ha!  Hell, even paying for aikido seminars makes me cringe, and I love aikido.  So that mentality needs to shift. 

And on that note, I also realize time is a big issue I have.  I do not want to compromise my time on the mat practicing aikido.  Which means things like "take a class" or "learn a new skill" get sidelined, because I'd rather be on the mat.  Not that I feel that's a bad thing, but sometimes I do want to spread my wings more and do some other things.  Pretty much, I wish I had a Time Turner, so I don't have to skimp on getting my hours and skills up on the mat, but also get to experience some new things. 

If I was closer to getting my black belt, I feel like I'd be more inclined to branch out a bit more.  But I feel like I have such a long way to go, that I don't want to spare any time.  Which is stupid, since a black belt ultimately means nothing.  Hm.  That's an interesting thought to follow down that I just realized. 

Hey guys, I made a breakthrough mid post!

Breakthroughs seem to come at really weird times. I had one this morning while reading about someone else's tangentially related problem. And just had one of those "oh...I think I get it now" moments XD

On the student loan/money thing, I have to say that I'm kind of the opposite in philosophy. Debt sucks, especially student loans, but they aren't something that I can tackle instantly (unless I win the powerball tonight :P). I look at it from a mental/emotional cost in addition to the financial cost.The emotional cost that would come with extreme buckling down isn't worth it for me.

Good luck with balancing the aikido-ing and trying new stuff! Seems like this challenge is going really well for you :)

• Like 1

Wandering Monk

Starting Weight: 238 Current Weight: 189.2 Goal Weight: 150

PRs

Mile: 12:49 (11/1/14) 5K: 44:07 (3/13/16)