Fonzico's Third Nerdiversary

Fonzico

While I know New Years Resolutions are, at best, poor goal setting form, and at worst, a self-defeating waste of time, boy I am I ever a sucker for a fresh start. It's totally arbitrary and illogical, but I figure that I might as well harness the excitement, eh?

I decided to look back on the last few New Years. Back in 2013, I started the year at 169 lbs. Right before my first NF challenge. Whoa. I've been doing this for 3 years. And while in those three years I have not quite had the revolutionary success that I dreamed of... well, I've started each New Year a little lighter than the previous one. 2014 was 158lbs. 2015 was 156. And I rang this year in at 153. It's not much, but it's in the right direction, at least! And I'd rather be flirting with the 140s than the 170s.

Of course, it's not all about the weight, now is it?

I've made some incredible friends on these boards.

I've fallen in love with Kettlebells, and my overall fitness level is so much improved.

I can definitely still do a chin up, and almost do a pull-up.

I freaking biked to work more days than I didn't last summer (after basically not using a bicycle since I was a child), and plan to beat that this year.

2015 wasn't the best year of my life. I lost my brother-in-law, and my Grandad. December ended on a particularly bad run, and depression and anxiety were edging in on me.

But I am turning this new leaf with a vengeance.

I want to be athletic. I want to be muscular. I want that incredibly adorable black skirt I bought to FIT. And goddamn it, this is the year.

Goals:

Workouts: Back to the usual schedule. Kettlebell classes start up again this week. I got a couple workouts in over the holidays, so at least I won't completely die this first week back.

Kettlebells 2x per week

Additional workouts 1x (NF Yoga)

A : 12pts B : 10pts C : 8pts D : 6 pts F : <6pts

Eat Good Food:

Mostly Paleo, if metrics fall in line, I'm likely doing ok.

1300-1800 calories Carbs: <100g, Protein: >80g

1 point per item per day. Target 18 points per week.

A : 72+pts B : 66pts C : 60pts D : 54pts F : <54pts

Pushup/Pullup Work: I wanna be a badass. And being able to do this stuff is a prerequisite, I'm pretty sure. I can do like... two, maybe three pushups in a row. Right now I can do one chin up, maybe two in a row when I'm feeling particularly beastly, but not regularly. I can barely do one pull up from standing (ie, not full extension).

3x per week:

4 sets of max pushups (start with regular, go to knees as needed)

3 sets of 10 eccentric pull ups. Continue with random chin ups and pull up as I pass the bar in the hallway.

A : 12pts B : 10pts C : 8pts D : 6 pts F : <6pts

Life Goal:

READ. I've been seriously missing out on reading lately. Part of it is that I'm just so awful at returning library books that I am scared to check them out in the first place. But I just straight up need to get better at that. My mother in law also has a pretty decent library that I have at my disposal. I usually just read books I've already read before to get me to fall asleep at night... and while I don't think there's anything wrong with re-reading, I'm a bit pathological about it. Therefore I'm stipulating that I need to read books that I haven't before. Once I get into a book, I won't have any problem reading it often, I just need to get one!

Read 5x per week. No time limits, no certain amount read, just do it.

A : 20pts B : 16pts C : 12pts D : 8pts F : <8pts

A'ight. Let us do this shit. 

• Like 7

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

I'll be following along. You suffered a lot of loss in 2015 and are giving yourself time to heal, keep doing that. Your challenge is full of win that will help.

Pushup/Pullup Work: I wanna be a badass. And being able to do this stuff is a prerequisite, I'm pretty sure. I can do like... two, maybe three pushups in a row. Right now I can do one chin up, maybe two in a row when I'm feeling particularly beastly, but not regularly. I can barely do one pull up from standing (ie, not full extension).

I got news for you. You are a badass. That was never the question. The question is how much more badass do you want to become in this 4WC?

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Happy New Year!!!  Following for all the badassness...  and for kettlebells.  Just decided on a whim today to do kettlebells for my workouts this 4wc. Woohoo!  I can't wait to hear what you read.  I love to read and never have enough ideas!

• Like 1

Rangering since Sept 2015

Echoed - you're *already* a badass, but I'll totally join you in the pull-up prereq. 

W00t!

• Like 2

Level 75 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

I'll be following along. You suffered a lot of loss in 2015 and are giving yourself time to heal, keep doing that. Your challenge is full of win that will help.

I got news for you. You are a badass. That was never the question. The question is how much more badass do you want to become in this 4WC?

Thanks Tank! I appreciate you checking in on me :)

Happy New Year!!! Following for all the badassness... and for kettlebells. Just decided on a whim today to do kettlebells for my workouts this 4wc. Woohoo! I can't wait to hear what you read. I love to read and never have enough ideas!

Yay for kettlebells! We will conquer the world with balls of iron. Haha pun totally not intended but it's amazing.

You are badass :) But nothing wrong with getting even more badass! o/

Ever thought of reading fan fiction? Unlimited free supply of new material.

I know I'm going to sound like a total snob, but I always just assumed fanfics were largely poorly written... I mean, I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but wading through the bad stuff sounds painful. I can't even stand the writing style of many published authors, I'm pretty picky. But maybe I'm totally off base here?

At any rate, it explains why I reread so much. I hate bringing home half a dozen books, and only finding two of them readable.

Echoed - you're *already* a badass, but I'll totally join you in the pull-up prereq.

W00t!

Yes! We will impress the masses and astound the haters with our pull up prowess.

Thank you for all the affirmations of badassery. Maybe I need to see myself that way more.

Anyways. Dayonedayonedayone!

Good food is packed for lunch and breakfast.

I did a decent KB workout at home yesterday, and classes start tomorrow.

And I'm going to try to get to the library tonight!

I will also try to get caught up with everyone's threads tonight! Good luck, all!

• Like 4

Level 20

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

Actually I'm the same type of super picky reader, yet I've found a lot of enjoyable fanfiction. Honestly, a lot of the fanfiction I've read is better than a lot of published work out there. Sorting through the bad stuff is not as hard as you might think, there is a big community that will do the work for you :D if you ever want a recommendation, just let me know which fandom.

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Happy Nerdiversary!  Tank is right... you are a badass, and I know you'll make 2016 sorry that 2015 dealt you a few raw deals!

• Like 2

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

I have a challenge for you. Every day, wake up and once you have enough legal stimulants in you to function, write the following in a journal: I embody Badrangerassery. Add to that any additional thoughts that may occur to you if you wish, but write those three words every day. You will begin to believe it, then you will live like it.

• Like 4

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Actually I'm the same type of super picky reader, yet I've found a lot of enjoyable fanfiction. Honestly, a lot of the fanfiction I've read is better than a lot of published work out there. Sorting through the bad stuff is not as hard as you might think, there is a big community that will do the work for you :D if you ever want a recommendation, just let me know which fandom.

Okay cool! I'm willing to give it a shot :)

Harry Potter would be my first inclination.. Hmm I will have to consider what else. I love Robin McKinley's worlds, but I don't know if she's popular enough to have that kind of following..

Happy Nerdiversary! Tank is right... you are a badass, and I know you'll make 2016 sorry that 2015 dealt you a few raw deals!

Thanks Rurik! I am going to try to live up to the ridiculous amount of faith you guys have in me [emoji14]

I have a challenge for you. Every day, wake up and once you have enough legal stimulants in you to function, write the following in a journal: I embody Badrangerassery. Add to that any additional thoughts that may occur to you if you wish, but write those three words every day. You will begin to believe it, then you will live like it.

Dude! I really like this. I accept your challenge. And also now I get to go buy a sweet journal [emoji14] What? No, of course I don't have several already that would do just fine. I have no idea what you're referring to.

Looking good Fonz

Matty! Are you challenging? Missed you, dude!
  • Like 4

Level 20

You've been inspiring me for a long time, super excited to be in the same guild with you now

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

You've been inspiring me for a long time, super excited to be in the same guild with you now

Yaaaay Rangering FTW! You can try to lure me back, to the mysterious and shadowy realms of assassinhood, if you want, but it might be a tough sell. You slumming it with the Rangers is awesome though, I'm stoked that you are here! Kettlebell greatness will be ouuuurs!
  • Like 1

Level 20

This is how I am ending Day One:

1a0be7509ac94f934fa8064250c2abcc.jpg

Epsom salt footbath: because today was so crazy busy (first day back since before Christmas) and I'm tired and sore.

Snacky-snack because I didn't eat enough... Due to busy day, breakfast was not a thing. I brought it with me, but didn't get a chance to eat until lunch.

I did drag my ass to the library, however, to get these books. The only author I'm familiar with is Lev Grossman - check him out if you haven't already! The other three were picked from one of the old NF book threads.

And tea, of course. That needs no explanation.

Also curious kitty. Who will probably cuddle with me while I soak and read :D

• Like 6

Level 20

I like the self care and the olives and salami.

• Like 1

I like the self care and the olives and salami.

But you hate the books, tea and cat?! [emoji14] hehe it was a very satisfying ritual, I must say.

Awe thanks :)

I don't think I will but it's going to be quiet at work over the next week or two so I will be checking up on ya!

Ah, too bad, but it's good to see you around nonetheless!
  • Like 1

Level 20

Week One Day One:

Workout: None scheduled

Food: Calories: 1531  Carbs: 78g  Protein: 83g

Pushups/Pullups: Nothing to see here.

Reading: Yes!

I kind of hate it when I can't check all the boxes on Day One :P I suppose I could have done the Pushup/Pullup work, but I figured since we often do pushups in KB class, it made more sense to line it up with that. 

I'm so ready to get back to KB class tonight though! 

• Like 4

Level 20

But you hate the books, tea and cat?! [emoji14] hehe it was a very satisfying ritual, I must say.

Ah, too bad, but it's good to see you around nonetheless!

I was hungry and tired when I saw your pic, not bored, thirsty and wanting to pet something ;)

Good job on day one.

• Like 1

Week One Day Two:

Workout: Kettlebells!

Food: Calories: 2008 Carbs: 89g Protein: 121g

Pushups/Pullups: Push up work in class

Reading: Yes! Enjoying the Ursula LeGuin book I got.

Oh man, it felt so good to go to KBs again! At home is just not the same. I'm super glad I did do that home session on Sunday though, as it seems to have fended off the worst of the DOMS.

The instructors took pity on us for once though, and let us stretch for nearly 15 minutes, rather than the 5 we usually get.

Calories were high... And I still felt like I could have eaten more. I'm not going to stress about it on a workout day though. Metrics were otherwise in line.

I'm going to do the pull up work today! I am counting class as working on push ups, since we did 5 sets, but it was not very good bench mark setting, as the sets were mixed in with a ladder. Probably the same deal on Thursday, so I'll do a proper one on Saturday for progress measuring purposes :D

Overall, a good day two.

• Like 3

Level 20

Keep at it, Fonzico.  Keep up the self-care and positive self-talk.  Make that To Do list and stick to it.  Keep chipping away and the results will follow!

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Okay cool! I'm willing to give it a shot :)

Harry Potter would be my first inclination.. Hmm I will have to consider what else. I love Robin McKinley's worlds, but I don't know if she's popular enough to have that kind of following..

You could amuse yourself with good HP fanfic for at least 2 years ;)

The most popular HP fanfic is HPMOR, which is an alternative universe where Harry grew up to be a real science nerd and the world is more interesting in a smart way. When I had my boyfriend read it he had tears of laughter on occasion :) The plot meanders a little bit, but the twists and turns plus story telling skills are pretty brilliant. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5782108/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Methods-of-Rationality

Another that I recommended to some other nerds is the story of Alexdra Quick, a witch born in america just after the war in the original books ended. It's basically another series of books. There are flaws, but the overall writing skill is good enough to be very enjoyable if you like exploring the options of a magical world and it's politics. 

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3964606/1/Alexandra-Quick-and-the-Thorn-Circle

• Like 2

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Keep at it, Fonzico. Keep up the self-care and positive self-talk. Make that To Do list and stick to it. Keep chipping away and the results will follow!

Sometimes that chipping away feels like infinitesimal flakes... But it'll add up eventually nevertheless! Thanks for the support, Rurik.

You could amuse yourself with good HP fanfic for at least 2 years ;)

The most popular HP fanfic is HPMOR, which is an alternative universe where Harry grew up to be a real science nerd and the world is more interesting in a smart way. When I had my boyfriend read it he had tears of laughter on occasion :) The plot meanders a little bit, but the twists and turns plus story telling skills are pretty brilliant. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5782108/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Methods-of-Rationality

Another that I recommended to some other nerds is the story of Alexdra Quick, a witch born in america just after the war in the original books ended. It's basically another series of books. There are flaws, but the overall writing skill is good enough to be very enjoyable if you like exploring the options of a magical world and it's politics.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3964606/1/Alexandra-Quick-and-the-Thorn-Circle

Awesome thanks! Haha and I figured that would be a pretty rich vein to mine!

Level 20

So I just had the loveliest lunch hour. I ate with a couple ladies, one whom I know and one new acquaintance. After we ate one suggested we go for a walk, which I would have done in any case, but it was nice to have company :) then they suggested we have a quick mediation - there's a room for this purpose on campus, which I knew about, but never worked up my 20 seconds of courage to check it out. So we went, closed our eyes and breathed for 5 minutes before going back to work.

So nice!

• Like 4

Level 20