AthenaMM Stays Strong

AthenaMM

Your wt loss is going well.  I saw in your quests that you were not doing any diet changes this year.  Did you do any in the past that helped you lose wt?  If so, what kind?

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

LOL, I vote braver.I may try it when it's warmer. Right now the idea of accidentally dumping water on my already cold body is more bravery than I have, but in the spring, or maybe when we are in Hawaii.

I hadn't even thought about the temperature, but that's probably because I'm never cold during the workout. That's the one time of day that I have the ceiling fan on right now!

Lots of kickin azz going on here.  But you need to put a lock on your jar.

Thanks! No need for the lock though, it's working exactly the way I want it to. It's making me stop and think about whether a "splurge" is worth it or not, so the majority of the time I make healthier choices.

Your wt loss is going well.  I saw in your quests that you were not doing any diet changes this year.  Did you do any in the past that helped you lose wt?  If so, what kind?

There are several things that I've made into habits in previous challenges (and even before NF) that I'm still doing, they just aren't part of the current challenge. I'm tracking what I eat in MyFitnessPal, making sure I eat at least 6 fruits and veggies every day, avoiding processed food (unless I pull money from the jar!), only eating whole grain carbs and eating only until satisfied (not stuffed). When I'm doing the last four of those without fail I can get away with not tracking what I eat in MFP, but after the holidays I felt like I needed a little more accountability. If you were talking about my quests on my character/epic quest page, I haven't finished that yet. There may be some diet quests at some point on there. The truth is, I know what works best for me as far as diet goes and I've done pretty well turning them into habits. The only problem I have is that I got into a habit of splurging here and there over the holidays and I need to cut that one off.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

. If you were talking about my quests on my character/epic quest page, I haven't finished that yet.

"Quests" was a bad word choice.  I meant the goals (or whatever you called them) in the 1st post on this challenge.  I'm not into the character thingy so I haven't looked at any of those yet.  I figured you must have made some diet changes somewhere in the past and were just keeping what works and letting it keep working.  Already created the habits and letting them do their job.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

Day 7 - Sunday, January 15, 2016

Quest 1: Kettlebell rest day

Quest 2: This was supposed to be a rest day for this as well, but I wanted to do more push-ups for the mini. I tried to do another floor push-up but I couldn't. My triceps are normal today, but my chest is a little tired from doing the knee push-ups and table push-ups yesterday. Also, like an idiot, I did my AMRAP for table push-ups this morning instead of trying the floor push-up first. I did do another run at the wall push-ups and managed to do more than I did earlier in the week. This means that I'm ahead one session of this quest so I can take an extra rest day next week. I may take tomorrow off. It wouldn't hurt to rest up some, plus that way I don't do anything to make me sore before I know what the next mini is!

Quest 3: I have around 3,500 steps right now, but that's more than enough to average 10,000 for the week.

Life Quest: Hubby is off all day on Sunday so no reading during lunch. 

I put $1 in the jar today. We went out to eat for lunch today and decided to have Mexican food. I made good, healthy choices, but I did have chips and salsa. I took $2 out of the jar for the chips, but it was DEFINITELY worth it.

• Like 1

Battle Log

"Quests" was a bad word choice.  I meant the goals (or whatever you called them) in the 1st post on this challenge.  I'm not into the character thingy so I haven't looked at any of those yet.  I figured you must have made some diet changes somewhere in the past and were just keeping what works and letting it keep working.  Already created the habits and letting them do their job.

I thought that was what you meant when I started typing my answer, but after I was done I remembered the character thingy so I thought I'd cover all the bases! And that's exactly what I'm doing. I discovered along the way that I can't be too strict with myself when it comes to diet or I just end up "rebelling". It works best if I make sure I fill up on real, healthy food for the most part without stressing about the specifics.

Battle Log

Week 1 Summary

Quest 1: I did all 5 of my kettlebell workouts. I haven't made any new progress, but I have gotten back to where I was before the holidays. I'm on track for this quest.

Quest 2: I actually did this 7 days this week instead of 6, so I'm ahead right now. I'll probably take tomorrow off though. I'm on track for this quest.

Quest 3: If I didn't get any more steps tonight, my average for the week would be 10,571 steps. This one seemed to go particularly well this week. I didn't even have to walk around my livingroom to finish getting my steps except for last night. And I would have had enough steps for the average even if I hadn't gotten those last steps last night. I'm on track for this quest.

Life Quest: I forgot this a couple of days, but I've set up a reminder so I shouldn't have a problem again. The book has caught my attention now, so I'm looking forward to when it's time to read more of it. I'm not quite a quarter of the way through the book, but I don't think I'll have trouble finishing it in the next 3 weeks.

• Like 2

Battle Log

Day 8 - Monday, January 11, 2016

Quest 1: I did a 33 min. kettlebell workout today.

3 sets of warm-up - 5 prying goblet squats (8kg), 5 3 sec bridges, 5 halos (8kg).   

5 sets of 10 two handed swings with 16 kg.  

3 sets of the first 2/3 of a TGU on each side with 8kg. I progressed to going all the way to the upright kneeling position and back down again with these. I think I would have been able to do 5 sets of these, but I'd worn out my forearms earlier in the day peeling and mashing 10lbs of potatoes. I almost pushed through it and did 5 sets anyway, but then I remembered being sore all week last week and I'd like to avoid that this week.

2 sets of full TGU on each side with the shoe. My arms were worn out by this point so I just did enough to have 5 sets total.

S&S Stretches

Quest 2: I did skip this today, since I have an extra one from last week.

Quest 3: I got 11,751 steps, so I'm off to a good start.

Life Quest: I read more of The 4% Universe during lunch.

I put $1 in the jar today and did not take any out.

Day 9 - Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Quest 1: I did a 34 min. kettlebell workout today.

3 sets of warm-up - 5 prying goblet squats (8kg), 5 3 sec bridges, 5 halos (8kg).   

3 sets of the first 2/3 of a TGU on each side with 8kg. My forearms were sore so I stuck with only 3 sets.

2 sets of full TGU on each side with the shoe. This probably worked out to more than 2 sets since my arms were so tired I kept dropping the shoe and having to do parts over and over again.

S&S Stretches

Quest 2: I worked on planks for 5 min today. I decided that would be easiest on my arms and I only worked on planks once last week.

Quest 3: I have over 10,000 steps at this point. I'll have to up my game for the rest of the week if I want to be lazy on Sunday. (I finished the day with 10,690 steps)

Life Quest: Hubby was off today so I didn't read any of the book.

I put $2 in the jar today and did not take any out.

• Like 2

Battle Log

Athena "gets sh@t done" again.  Way to stay consistent.

Thanks!

Awesome job so far this challenge Athena. Love the reading diversification goal.

I'm enjoying it too. It isn't so much that I don't like to read other things, I just never take the time.

Awesome Athena. Also I didn't mention it last time, but I really love the idea with your jar. It just makes it more tangible. <3

How did you decide what goes on the list of foods you have to pay for? Like mostly sugary treats, or also other high calorie or calorie dense things?

Thanks! I decided I wanted to keep it simple, so rather than listing all the things I shouldn't eat I stuck with the things that have a "snowballing" effect and make me want to keep eating. It's mostly junk food like pizza, candy, chips, etc.

Cool that you can do TGU to kneeling now. Peeling 10 lbs of potatoes? That's a lot of potatoes! Was that for dinner?

Thanks, I was pretty proud of myself on the TGU. No, not even my mashed potato loving hubby can eat that much! I make up a big batch of mashed potatoes and then freeze them in meal sized amounts. That way I only have to go through the effort every 2 or 3 months. I like to cook, but some things are just too much effort for a weeknight.

Battle Log

Day 10 - Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Quest 1: I did a 33 min. kettlebell workout today.

4 sets of the first 2/3 of a TGU on each side with 8kg. Forearms are better, but still a little sore.

2 sets of full TGU on each side with the shoe. These went much better than yesterday

S&S Stretches

Quest 2: I worked on pull-ups for 5 min today. I still haven't managed an assisted pull-up, in fact I seemed to be farther away today. I did attempted assisted pull-ups and hangs. My grip DEFINITELY needs some work.

Quest 3: I have close to 11,000 steps today and it's earlier than it usually is when I post so I'll be over 11,000 for the day. I still probably need to kick it up a little for the rest of the week. (finished with 11,205)

Life Quest: Instead of reading the book I've been reading (The 4% Universe), I started the NerdFitness book. It's good so far. I should still be able to finish a book by the end of the month.

I put $2 in the jar today and did not take any out.

Battle Log

Thanks!

I'm enjoying it too. It isn't so much that I don't like to read other things, I just never take the time.

Thanks! I decided I wanted to keep it simple, so rather than listing all the things I shouldn't eat I stuck with the things that have a "snowballing" effect and make me want to keep eating. It's mostly junk food like pizza, candy, chips, etc.

Thanks, I was pretty proud of myself on the TGU. No, not even my mashed potato loving hubby can eat that much! I make up a big batch of mashed potatoes and then freeze them in meal sized amounts. That way I only have to go through the effort every 2 or 3 months. I like to cook, but some things are just too much effort for a weeknight.

clever, I didn't know you could freeze mashed potatoes

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

You seem to like to read.  Ever listen to books on tape (or CD's these days.  I really like listening to non-fiction when I drive.  I once listened to "the rise and fall of the 3rd reich" which was about 12hrs long.  Probably listened to about 20 non fiction books.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

I like to read too, but I don't always even make time to read the genre I love. For me, reading is more of a summer thing (I love to lay outside and read in the sun, preferably in a reclining pool chair where there is cool fresh water to undo some of the summer sun's heat). My genre is definitely fantasy, although occasionally I get wild and throw in some Sci-fi or Mystery. I haven't read much in the past 3-4 months, but I just went to the library yesterday and picked up Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson.

I admire people with the mental fortitude to read non-fiction. Even moreso the people who spend their leisure time drawing inspiration from books in the "self-help" genre (can't think if there is a better name for that genre).

Anyway... awesome reading goal

• Like 1

Level 14 -- Yeti Ranger -- STR 30.25 | DEX 12.00 | STA 21.00 | CON 14.75 | WIS 18.00 | CHA 7.50

Current Challenge -- Previous Challenges -- My Epic Quest -- Album of Holding -- About Me

clever, I didn't know you could freeze mashed potatoes

Yep. They seem watery when you first thaw them, but once you heat them up (preferably on the stove) they thicken back up. And bonus, they are never lumpy after they've been frozen.

You seem to like to read.  Ever listen to books on tape (or CD's these days.  I really like listening to non-fiction when I drive.  I once listened to "the rise and fall of the 3rd reich" which was about 12hrs long.  Probably listened to about 20 non fiction books.

Yes I love to listen to audiobooks as well. Again I stick with popular fiction though. I've had a subscription to Audible for about 15 years now and I like to stick with authors and genres that I know I like so I don't "waste" my credits on something I might not enjoy. I listen to audiobooks while I clean house or do laundry. I occasionally listen while I walk, but otherwise I don't do well exercising while I listen. Hubby and I always listen to books on the long drive home for Christmas as well.

I like to read too, but I don't always even make time to read the genre I love. For me, reading is more of a summer thing (I love to lay outside and read in the sun, preferably in a reclining pool chair where there is cool fresh water to undo some of the summer sun's heat). My genre is definitely fantasy, although occasionally I get wild and throw in some Sci-fi or Mystery. I haven't read much in the past 3-4 months, but I just went to the library yesterday and picked up Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson.

I admire people with the mental fortitude to read non-fiction. Even moreso the people who spend their leisure time drawing inspiration from books in the "self-help" genre (can't think if there is a better name for that genre).

Anyway... awesome reading goal

Thanks! Honestly as long as I find the plot or topic interesting I can read and enjoy any kind of book, fiction or non-fiction. In fact, I was enjoying the NerdFitness book so much today that I finally started walking around while reading it because I needed to get some steps in and I didn't want to stop reading.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Day 11 - Thursday, January 14, 2016

Quest 1:Today was a kettlebell rest day

Quest 2: I worked on push-ups for 5 min today. I did 1 floor push-up again, but the rest were incline push-ups from different places.

Quest 3: I have over 12,000 steps at this point. That might be enough that I don't need any extra for the rest of the week. I finished with 12,364.

Life Quest: I read the NerdFitness book for a while today. It's pretty entertaining! 

I put $1 in the jar today and did not take any out.

Tomorrow night I'm going to the NerdFitness book tour thing in Austin. There will be lightsaber training after the signing, etc. I'm pretty excited!

• Like 2

Battle Log

What is the NF book tour? Haven't heard of that.

Steve Kamb (the NerdFitness guy) wrote a book and he's doing a book tour. At each stop they are doing something cool that's available in that city. Apparently we have a Parkour gym that has lightsaber training, so that's what they're doing here.

Battle Log