AthenaMM Stays Strong

AthenaMM

I'm laughing.  Can't get much nerdier than light saber training.  I can't believe that even exits.  Sounds fun but so unbelievably nerdy.  Can someone say they are a light saber instructor w/ a straight face?

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Have fun at the book signing. And lightsaber training-that is awesome. I think that is the one Tank is going to. He's going to one in Texas anyway, though I guess Texas is pretty big. :rapture:

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Yes, it is the one I went to. We stood next to each other during light saber training but didn't realize we are both on the boards till we both got on facebook after the fact. Hey Athena, I'm following along.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Yes, it is the one I went to. We stood next to each other during light saber training but didn't realize we are both on the boards till we both got on facebook after the fact. Hey Athena, I'm following along.

bummer that is wasn't until after the fact. I didn't notice that Athena was going until evening your time, or I would have told you to look for her. Though I have no idea of her real name-so that may not have helped :redface-new:

• Like 2

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I'm laughing.  Can't get much nerdier than light saber training.  I can't believe that even exits.  Sounds fun but so unbelievably nerdy.  Can someone say they are a light saber instructor w/ a straight face?

Laugh all you want, but when we meet up and have a lightsaber battle, I'm going to kick your butt!  :playful:   And the guy is actually licensed by Disney to teach lightsaber stuff. It was really cool!

Have fun at the book signing. And lightsaber training-that is awesome. I think that is the one Tank is going to. He's going to one in Texas anyway, though I guess Texas is pretty big. :rapture:

It was awesome! I read your comment in my email AFTER the book signing and then found Tank and his picture on Facebook. We'll be ready next time though.

Hey Tank! I found your (GIGANTIC) thread and am following along as well!

bummer that is wasn't until after the fact. I didn't notice that Athena was going until evening your time, or I would have told you to look for her. Though I have no idea of her real name-so that may not have helped :redface-new:

Yeah, it was definitely tough to figure out who people were. When we first got there it was definitely a room full of introverts with everyone standing there talking to who they came with or no one at all and not mingling AT ALL. We loosened up by the end though. And for the record, my real name is Michelle. (Tank, I forgot and followed all the Nerd Fitness facebook stuff with my incognito facebook account, so ignore the name on there.)

It was really great and I had an AWESOME time! It's definitely made me consider some new things when it comes to working out. I haven't made any decisions yet, but I would really like to take some cool classes somewhere. My core has been a little sore since the lightsaber training, so it was actually a pretty decent workout.

I did get my book signed and I got a picture with Steve. I turned it into a comic book thing with some app to make it cooler.

med_gallery_39458_2012_199023.jpg

• Like 2

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

Day 12 - Friday, January 15, 2016

Quest 1: I did a 23 min. kettlebell workout today. I shortened the workout because I was short on time today.

1 set of warm-up - 5 prying goblet squats (8kg), 5 3 sec bridges, 5 halos (8kg).   

5 sets of 10 two handed swings with 16 kg.  I rested less between sets to shorten the workout.

3 sets of the first 2/3 of a TGU on each side with 8kg. I rested less between sets as well.

2 sets of full TGU on each side with the shoe. 

S&S Stretches

Quest 2: I worked on planks for 5 min today. I had to shorten the duration of my planks at the beginning of this challenge. I had lost some progress since I hadn't worked on them in a while. I'm almost back to where I was though. I can do one plank as long I was able to before (60 sec), but I can't do another one that long even after resting.

Quest 3: I got 11,878 steps. I had around 8,500 when I went to the book signing. It was a pretty active book signing!

Life Quest: I didn't read any of the book today.

I put $2 in the jar today but took out $2 for candy.

Day 13 - Saturday, January 16, 2016

This wasn't a good day. I woke up with my allergies completely kicking my ass. It didn't seem to matter how much medication I took it didn't get better and I couldn't shake a sinus headache. Because of this I took it easy and postponed my kettlebell workout and my 5 min work until tomorrow.

Quest 1: Rest day

Quest 2: Rest day

Quest 3: I did get 10,100 steps today though, which is enough to let me average 10,000 steps even if I don't get many tomorrow.

Life Quest: I didn't read any of the book today. I should have since I was taking it easy, but I didn't.

I put nothing in the jar today, but I also didn't take anything out.

Day 14 - Sunday, January 17, 2016

I felt much better today. My allergies are still acting up some, but the headache is gone and I did without the medicine for the most part.

Quest 1: I did a 32 min. kettlebell workout today. 

3 sets of warm-up - 5 prying goblet squats (8kg), 5 3 sec bridges, 5 halos (8kg).   

5 sets of 10 two handed swings with 16 kg.  Fitbit finally seems to be registering my heartrate at least somewhat accurately which made it easier to rest the correct amount between sets.

4 sets of the first 2/3 of a TGU on each side with 8kg. These seemed easier and my arm was more stable.

S&S Stretches

Quest 2: I worked on pull-ups for 5 min today. I got VERY close to doing an actual assisted pull-up (apparently I'm not ever going to buy a heftier band). I got the top of the bar even with my lower lip. Of course I could only do that once. After that I pulled myself up as high as I could a few more times. Once I'd rested I did hangs and then one more set of attempted assisted pull-ups.

Quest 3: I have around 3,000 steps at the moment, but it's still pretty early. That's already enough that I've averaged over 10,000 for the week. I finished with 3,520 steps.

Life Quest: I didn't read any of the book today.

I put $2 in the jar today and did not take any out.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Week 2 Summary

Quest 1: I got in all 5 of my kettlebell workouts. I shifted them around a little, but that will work out better for next week anyway, because I'm going to be gone most of the day on Wednesday and it will be easier if that is my rest day.

Quest 2: I worked on either planks, pull-ups or push-ups 5 times this week but I had an extra one last week. That means I'm exactly on target.

Quest 3: If I didn't get any more steps tonight, my average for the week would be 10,126 steps. This one was a little bit more of a struggle this week than it was last week, but I did it.

Life Quest: I switched books and didn't read a couple of days this week. I still think I'll manage though. One of the days that I read the new book, I got caught up in it and read for a lot longer than I'd intended. A couple more days like that I'll probably be finished.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Sounds like a good weekend. I'm glad your headache went away, they really stink. I believe we traded some blows during Chaos.

Thanks, Tank! And we definitely fought during Chaos. That was a particularly fun part of the class!

Sounds like a good week.

I get sinus headaches, too...they are miserable. Glad you're feeling better.

Thanks!

Awesome week 2 summary.  Thats the kind of thing that gets me motivated.

Glad to help!

• Like 1

Battle Log

Day 15 - Monday, January 18, 2016

Quest 1: I did a 35 min. kettlebell workout today.

3 sets of warm-up - 5 prying goblet squats (8kg), 5 3 sec bridges, 5 halos (8kg).   

5 sets of 10 two handed swings with 16 kg.  

5 sets of the first 2/3 of a TGU on each side with 8kg. Forearms weren't screaming after the 4th set, so I decided to go for the 5th.

S&S Stretches

Quest 2: I worked on push-ups for 5 min today. I'm disappointed in my lack of progress here. Actually I don't seem to be making much progress in the push-ups or the pull-ups. Maybe I've worked on them enough that I can concentrate on just one of them for a few days in a row without major DOMs. It will need to be the pull-ups this week with the mini.

Quest 3: It was a major grocery trip day so I got LOTS of steps. I finished the day with 14,643 steps. A very good start to the week.

Life Quest: I read a good bit of the NerdFitness book today. I'm almost halfway through the book, so I don't think I'll have a problem finishing it.

I put $2 in the jar today and did not take any out.

Day 16 - Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Quest 1: I did a 37 min. kettlebell workout today. This entire workout seemed particularly hard today, even the warm-up. I think it's probably a good thing that I'm taking a rest day tomorrow.

5 sets of the first 2/3 of a TGU on each side with 8kg. I considered not doing the 5th set here but since I am resting tomorrow, I went for it.

S&S Stretches

Quest 2: I worked on pull-ups for 5 min today. I attempted negatives and discovered that I can sort of do 1 and then I don't really lower myself, so much as fall. I'm not actually falling off the bar, but it is definitely not a controlled descent. After that I just did hangs.

Quest 3: I have over 10,000 steps at this point. I finished with 10,276.

Life Quest: Hubby was off work today so no reading during lunch.

I put $2 in the jar today and did not take any out. (I made a tasty smoothie with peanut butter and cocoa powder when I started craving chocolate today)

• Like 3

Battle Log

I love smoothies with cocoa powder! Over 14,000 steps, that is a big shopping trip. You are making awesome progress with the kettlebells. 5 2/3 TGU is awesome. Soon you will be doing a full TGU

• Like 1

What are you gonna do with all that cash in the jar at the end of the challenge?

I haven't totally decided, but I think I'm going to use to pay for some cool exercise classes. Another couple of options are to finally take the archery lessons I talked about last year or try a climbing gym.

I love smoothies with cocoa powder! Over 14,000 steps, that is a big shopping trip. You are making awesome progress with the kettlebells. 5 2/3 TGU is awesome. Soon you will be doing a full TGU

The smoothie was very tasty and had a lot of protein too, so it was a much better choice than the candy I wanted. I had over 10,000 steps when I got back from the shopping trip and that was only 2 pm. I had to go to 4 different stores (1 grocery, 1 hobby store, 1 pet store and Target) so it was definitely a MASSIVE shopping trip. The weighted TGU's went GREAT today. I definitely think it will be soon when I try for a full one.

Great job on exercise.

"2 sets of full TGU on each side with the shoe."

What does this mean?  

When you're still learning to do the Turkish Get Ups (and sometimes later to work on form) you do them while balancing a shoe on your fist, instead of holding a kettlebell. It definitely teaches you balance, which becomes very important when you're holding a KB over your head.

Battle Log

Day 17 - Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Quest 1: Kettlebell rest day

Quest 2: I worked on pull-ups for 5 min today. I did hangs and attempted the assisted ones again. My shoulders and arms were a little sore from yesterday so I wasn't surprised that I couldn't even get as high as I did the other day

Quest 3: I finished with 10,753 steps. I probably need to get close to this for the rest of the week to have a lazy Sunday.

Life Quest: No reading today

I put $1 in the jar today and did not take any out.

Day 18 - Thursday, January 21, 2016

Quest 1: I did a 34 min kettlebell workout. I haven't felt very well today and I almost skipped this. I decided to try anyway. At first I just felt too tired and I shortened the warm-up. The swings and TGU's didn't feel as hard though, and by the time I was done I felt a lot better.

2 sets of warm-up - 5 prying goblet squats (8kg), 5 3 sec bridges, 5 halos (8kg).   

5 sets of the first 2/3 of a TGU on each side with 8kg. These felt really good today. My arms seemed a lot more stable than they have been and the stabilizing muscles weren't nearly as sore when I was done.

2 sets of full TGU's on each side with the shoe. 

S&S Stretches

Quest 2: I worked on planks for 5 min today. My arms and shoulders are still a little sore so I thought I'd give them a break.

Quest 3: I have over 10,000 steps at this point. I finished with 10,434 steps.

Life Quest: I read the NF book for a little while today.

I put $2 in the jar today and did not take any out. Honestly I didn't have much of an appetite today though so this wasn't very hard.

• Like 2

Battle Log

I'm really liking this dollar jar idea.  I've got to use that sometime.  I have a feeling once the money gets above a certain threshold, it could be a fixation to not remove money which will work to drive the desired habit.  Sort of like losing wt.  Once the wt starts dropping consisistently, you become fixated on keeping it dropping, which drives skipping snacks.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

I'm really liking this dollar jar idea.  I've got to use that sometime.  I have a feeling once the money gets above a certain threshold, it could be a fixation to not remove money which will work to drive the desired habit.  Sort of like losing wt.  Once the wt starts dropping consisistently, you become fixated on keeping it dropping, which drives skipping snacks.

It probably depends on your mindset. To me it's less painful to take money out now because it looks like there is so much in there. I mostly haven't been taking any out this week because I haven't felt all that great and my appetite is pretty low. It does look pretty awesome to see them sitting there though. I can't remember if I mentioned that the savings money goes into another jar that sits there next to my jar. The savings jar is looking pretty sad, but my jar looks awesome!

Battle Log

Day 19 - Friday, January 22, 2016

Quest 1: I did a 28 min kettlebell workout. I'm still not feeling great and this time it stuck with me through the whole workout. The whole thing seemed really hard and I just wanted it to be over. I shortened the warm-up and the TGU's.

2 sets of warm-up - 5 prying goblet squats (8kg), 5 3 sec bridges, 5 halos (8kg).   

3 sets of the first 2/3 of a TGU on each side with 8kg. 

3 sets of full TGU's on each side with the shoe. 

S&S Stretches

Quest 2: I worked on pull-ups today for 5 min. I did hangs.

Quest 3: I finished with 10,802 steps. I think that's enough extra that I only need 10,000 steps tomorrow.

Life Quest: I read the NF book for a while today.

I put $2 in the jar today and did not take any out. Not hungry again so no big deal.

Day 20 - Saturday, January 23, 2016

Quest 1: I did a 35 min kettlebell workout. I'm finally feeling better and did the full workout. I even experimented with a one handed swing with each arm. Definitely need to go back and reread that part of S&S and watch some videos. I also think I'll have to start with my 8kg on those. My hands just barely wrap around the handle of the 16kg and it didn't feel like I had a good enough grip.

5 sets of the first 2/3 of a TGU on each side with 8kg. I didn't feel as good with these as I did on Thursday. My arms seemed a little shaky.

2 sets of full TGU's on each side with the shoe. 

S&S Stretches

Quest 2: I worked on pull-ups today for 5 min. I did hangs again but for the very first time I was actually able to bend my elbows a little. I might actually being making some progress!

Quest 3: I have over 11,500 steps at this point. No problems being lazy tomorrow! I finished the day with 11,714 steps.

Life Quest: I read a good bit of the NF book today. I'm almost 3/4 of the way through it so this is going well.

I put $2 in the jar today, but I took out $1 for a small square of chocolate. It was yummy and worth it!

• Like 1

Battle Log

Glad you are feeling better. I think one of the hardest things with the one handed is the grip. I did get  a block of chalk to rub on my hands to help. Really don't want one to go flying out of my hands.  I also do farmer carries with the bells as a good way to strengthen my grip.The hangs should help with your grip too.

• Like 1

I'm glad you're feeling better. It can be hard to put in a decent effort when you're feeling puny. On the pull-ups: IMO, any progress is to be celebrated. A pull-up bar is on my list of equipment to buy, but I need to shed some weight before I torture my old shoulders like that.

I actually prefer 1 handed swings, but with lighter weight, of course. Before S&S, I followed along with Andrea DuCane or Tracy Reifkind's videos. Tracy has a great idea for hand care and blister prevention that I have used: sock sleeves.

http://tracysfoodandthought.blogspot.com/2013/12/sock-sleeves-gloves-hand-care-over-hump.html

• Like 1