Alexandrite: Three Challenges To Go

Alexandrite

Counting down to the end of March, when I finish my current job assignment and the completed results will come to light!

tumblr_mv6bdelcAk1qbyxr0o1_400.gif

A.K.A - I'm pregnant (I build brains for a living!) and my due date is around March 25th! Let the preparations begin.

Challenge: Prepare for arrival of baby #3

Mind -

I've actually got a lot going on in this area right now, but the two main things that bring me peace/distraction from anxiety are focusing on my Bible time and WaniKani (Japanese Kanji SRS). I also have a book related to birthing in regards to the Christian woman's mindset that I have yet to read, so my goals around the Mind area are related to these.

1. Bible time each day, either on my own or with the hubby.

2. Knock out at least two levels on WaniKani (took me 18 days for the last one) by challenge end. It's set to constant notify on my mobile app, so hard to ignore.

3. Finish at least 1/3 of above-mentioned book by end of challenge.

Body -

Yeah... so did NOT do regular prenatal yoga this pregnancy at all like I did with the first two. My hard earned flexibility from doing yoga before I got pregnant is now gone and I feel aches and stiffness and body unhappiness a lot. Time to buckle down. 3 months WILL make a difference!

1. Prenatal yoga session each day, either a complete routine from the Internet or a required 30 min session of my own making.

Matter -

Somehow completely trivial but also important, I need to acquire baby-related gear and get my office/life in order after all our moving and before baby arrives. I currently use an old TV stand for a desk, half my office stuff isn't even unpacked, taxes are coming, we are sleeping on futons on the floor, and we don't have ANY baby gear. As in no clothes, no carseat. And no baby shower is going to happen because we just moved to a new area and I have no friends yet... at least I still have the Moby wrap from previous.

SO!

1. Create and organize an office area with desk in new house (to be done by half way point of challenge).

2. Have most/all needed tax documents by end of challenge (will file next challenge).

3. Acquire some better sleeping arrangements for kids so we can have our memory foam back, set up our bed stuff.

4. Purchase or receive needed car seat and clothing by end of this challenge in case of unforseen early baby arrival next challenge.

I think that's it for now. Each challenge from here will build on what I'm doing now, so it can only get better! I am so happy to be back!

Sent by my Navi-powered device!

• Like 2

Brain-Building Assassin, a.k.a Radical Domestic Jill-of-All-Trades

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Isaiah 40:30-31

Glad to see you, looking forward to your challenge.

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

hi! welcome back to the challenge forums!

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Hi! I missed you! can't wait to hear about stuff and things! xoxo

• Like 1

You aren't going to get the butt you want by sitting on the one you have.
Challenges: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10  • 11 â€¢ 12 • 13 • Current

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee

Hi everyone! Yaaaay!

Updated the first post with quick summaries and goals. I will probably do an every-few-days update or something unless I remember to do more, haha.

Yesterday I did accomplish Mind stuff no problem, but did not work on Body or Matter stuff. I did clean the spider crap out of two bedrooms though, and organized toys, etc.

Does anyone have good resources for prenatal yoga? I lost my DVD that I had for the previous two pregnancies.

• Like 1

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Truth time:

I just ate almost an entire bag of peanut M&Ms. In secret, hid from my kids during nap time.

I have a phone addiction issue. Well, more like I have a presence issue. I find it so much more productive and easy to be doing something on my phone than to be playing tea, drawing, or reading books to my kid over and over and over. It kills my brain sometimes, and I don't feel stimulated, so I turn to my phone for that access and stimulation. I hate having to be present without being 'busy!' ADHD anyone?

I'll be taking a one challenge break from FB, and Pinterest, and everything else. I just can't justify it anymore, my news feed is random snippets of ads, news, and other people's lives, and I miss important stuff anyway. I haven't even sent out New Year/we moved cards yet even though I purchased them from Groupon...

I fight anxiety related to giving birth in a hospital on a daily basis. My desire to distract and ignore this anxiety has led me to download emulators on my PC to play Harvest Moonvideo games again (which I haven't done in years), my kids have been watching a lot of Pokemon lately, and I also have been desiring games for the 3DS. It's spiraling out of control slowly.

I fell off the meal planning train a while ago with the move. We bought a ton of food at Costco and I have hit a wall on wanting to cook or even think about food (pregnancy related too).

Okay, that's it for now. I just needed to write this stuff down.

• Like 1

Maybe being able to talk to adults on NF will help a little?  I remember when the kids were small and I just needed to do something Adult-ish.  There were only so many Thomas the Tank Engine books or Care Bear movies I could take in one day.  :playful:

I don't have any ideas for the prenatal yoga because I took a class.  Any chance you can find a class (and the time to take it)? 

• Like 1

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

Maybe being able to talk to adults on NF will help a little? I remember when the kids were small and I just needed to do something Adult-ish. There were only so many Thomas the Tank Engine books or Care Bear movies I could take in one day. [emoji14]layful:

I don't have any ideas for the prenatal yoga because I took a class. Any chance you can find a class (and the time to take it)?

Thank you! Yes, it's a strange time when one craves adulting, haha.

I live in a rural town now and prenatal yoga class just doesn't happen here. Next town is two hours away. So we traded great services and access to being able to buy a house and having land, which will be nice once spring comes! In the meantime, I love my Internet access.

Being consistently present is such a hard thing. I'm struggling with it myself. One of the things I do is have a "you must do this first" chore before I can play with my phone. I can't have it during the day, so this really just applies to the evenings. So I have to do the dishes, pack what I can of my lunch, and pick out my clothes for the next day before I even sit on a couch. And then I have to eat dinner before I open Facebook. It helps when I feel like I've been productive first.

it's so hard, and adulating is not fun. I try to be very lavish with my self-praise when I do something I really didn't want to. I have several medical tests this month that I DO NOT WANT TO DO, but I am proud of myself for facing them. I have to call several other offices about paperwork for my life insurance, and I've stared at it every day. I have to call two of them this afternoon to have it off my plate. I make myself smaller, less scary goals, and then go crazy with the atta-girl when I actually do it. I focus on the relief I feel having it done, and that helps motivate me to do more things I am avoiding.

When I went through the very difficult purge of my closet I really just focused on the peace it would bring me. My closet would only be filled with things I love! It's going to be amazing! and then I made sure to enjoy and celebrate every small step I took towards that goal. I'm not 100% there yet, but I'm much closer than I was. And now, getting rid of clothes isn't nearly so traumatic for me (why is that such a thing!?)

So, think about how beautiful and amazing your office is going to be! you will have a great place to do productive work! And how awesome are your rooms going to be? your kids are going to love having a new space, and you are going to make it so great for them! Then as you get each of the parts done, stand back and really look at the work you've done, and take in the change. Feel the relief it brings you, and focus on enjoying the outcome :)

• Like 1

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee

Hi! Glad to see a fellow servant of the crabigator on here :D I've been stuck on a level for ages now because i got lazy with my lessons >.< Interested to see how this challenge works out for you. good luck!

Thank you!

Yeah, I took almost a year break from doing any WK, and almost had them reset my account after purchasing an annual membership (discount with Textfugu life membership in preparation for EtoEto).

But I sucked it up, took the SRS hit from not remembering anything, haha, and installed the mobile app by Alberto Cuda to help bump up consistency in practice. I'm only level 4 though. Let's see how far I get!

Good luck to your practice too!

• Like 1

Being consistently present is such a hard thing. I'm struggling with it myself. One of the things I do is have a "you must do this first" chore before I can play with my phone. I can't have it during the day, so this really just applies to the evenings. So I have to do the dishes, pack what I can of my lunch, and pick out my clothes for the next day before I even sit on a couch. And then I have to eat dinner before I open Facebook. It helps when I feel like I've been productive first.

it's so hard, and adulating is not fun. I try to be very lavish with my self-praise when I do something I really didn't want to. I have several medical tests this month that I DO NOT WANT TO DO, but I am proud of myself for facing them. I have to call several other offices about paperwork for my life insurance, and I've stared at it every day. I have to call two of them this afternoon to have it off my plate. I make myself smaller, less scary goals, and then go crazy with the atta-girl when I actually do it. I focus on the relief I feel having it done, and that helps motivate me to do more things I am avoiding.

When I went through the very difficult purge of my closet I really just focused on the peace it would bring me. My closet would only be filled with things I love! It's going to be amazing! and then I made sure to enjoy and celebrate every small step I took towards that goal. I'm not 100% there yet, but I'm much closer than I was. And now, getting rid of clothes isn't nearly so traumatic for me (why is that such a thing!?)

So, think about how beautiful and amazing your office is going to be! you will have a great place to do productive work! And how awesome are your rooms going to be? your kids are going to love having a new space, and you are going to make it so great for them! Then as you get each of the parts done, stand back and really look at the work you've done, and take in the change. Feel the relief it brings you, and focus on enjoying the outcome :)

This is exactly what's going on - I just don't give myself enough credit for the awesome stuff I do get done and end up having really high days and really low days without consistency. My husband tries to complement me on stuff, but he just doesn't see everything I do, and honestly he shouldn't. I need to celebrate my victories myself and enjoy the results.

And I removed FB yesterday and am doing more with the kids today to just get stuff done and include them!

• Like 1

Day 2:

Mind and Matter stuff, but still no Body work...

Day 3:

Same thing. I just didn't make time or space for Body.

Today, I got the book, Redeeming Childbirth, from the trailer, cleaned the house up a bit, and continued laundry with our new-to-us machines we got last weekend.

We have made a promise to not buy anything new if we can help it. We've taken a bath when it comes to buying furniture and having to sell it later. We want to pay off debt this year so we're going to stick to used stuff and second hand, still very good. And we love the stories people have with their items, it makes it feel more homey.

I had a great talk with my husband last night about my NF goals and he felt they were spot on for what I need right now. I pulled out a Japanese dictionary/encyclopedia, one in Japanese made for Japanese elementary school kids, and I plan on practicing some translating here and there.

Now off to eat more food. I'm so hungry all the time, haha.

• Like 2

Day 4: More of the same. I didn't do anything different than what my normal routine allows. I get house cleaning stuff done in the morning, chores, etc. My kids and I watch one or two Pokemon episodes online while I rest since I get worn out after all that. We eat probably four meals a day, and snacks, haha. And then in the afternoon I usually do computer work or zone out. I know this would be the ideal time to do the yoga. I don't even walk regularly and my husband has told me to start walking circuits in the house. I could probably get a pedometer app on my phone so I know I've walked a mile or something...

I think the most difficult thing right now is sleeping well. I'm so uncomfortable when I sleep. We bought a nice Otis futon mattress that we thought would be great, but it's a full size and we need more room for my pregnant self to stretch and move. Plus it's a futon mattress designed more for back sleeping (great support) but I'm third trimester and not allowed to sleep on my back now so I get horrible pressure point soreness in my hip and shoulder, and related numbness/aches. I'm thinking about contacting the company and seeing what they suggest. I guess it would be fine if we had to buy something else but I don't want to admit defeat just yet.

This weekend is more organizing and unpacking. Dr. Focker is arranging our first date night with a new babysitter and my mom anxiety kicked in so hard I couldn't even talk about it. Well! Need to figure out a way for me to override the pregnancy overdrive on these things, lol.

• Like 1

I had to share this in the Scullery because it was amazing. I'm so glad my husband suggested I try using what we had, cottage cheese, instead of buying yogurt:

Oh my. I've never posted anything in here, but this is too good a discovery not to share. Just created this and made it up and every family member in the house devoured it.

Peach Pie Smoothie

About 2 cups ice or less

1/2 cup milk? Adjust to preference

1 banana

2 good dashes of cinnamon or more

1 cup or more of cottage cheese

1-2 cups peaches (we used jar peaches)

Blend and enjoy! You can make it as thick or drinkable as needed, mine came out drinkable.

The cottage cheese, why is this not a thing yet?!?!?! It is so good and so full of protein, I won't ever have trouble now. Goodbye protein powders! Hello delicious creamy shakes! Great with granola, etc.

FYI: If you decide to go crazy and add avocado, like I did when I made this two days ago, use only very ripe avos or you get a bad aftertaste.

• Like 1

Day 5, typical, no Body work. BUT! I asked for encouragement from Dr. Focker (the husband) and he volunteered to do it with me every morning. Yessssss!

We will probably start either tomorrow or Monday. Need to find a routine I like so he can do it with me. Totally more motivated now!

I've been tired all day today because I went overboard on vacuuming and cleaning house yesterday. Wanted to get things ready for unpacking the trailer today. What actually happened today? Dr. Focker and I spent time talking about the bible and life, I got a long hot shower alone, and he took the kids on errands so I had an hour of absolute quiet to relax in. Of course, I ended up brushing the dog out (miniature schnauzer had matted fur, poor thing) and playing a game a bit, but hey I did feel relaxed.

Date night as scheduled tonight for a two hour trial run at the girl's house, since she is 12. We are bringing a movie with us and hoping their house is prepared for toddler onslaught.

• Like 1

How is the morning body work going? That's really great that your husband is willing to work with you on this! I hope that is helping you get motivated. I know I wish I had done more physical activity when I was pregnant. I actually had JUST started working out when I found out I was expecting, but I was the highest weight of my adult life. I fell off that wagon - hard. I only gained 30 lbs, but I was already 212 lbs before hand. I barely walked, let alone exercised! I am sure that my labor would have been much easier, and I would have felt much better, if I had just kept up my exercise. 

A long hot shower alone is the best! Luckily I get up before my daughter, so I get to enjoy some quiet time in the mornings. Alone time is so important, and I think our men really forget that. I had to just start taking my own time, but it's been a huge help to my mental state.

How was date night? I keep forgetting one of my friends has a daughter who babysits. I really need to take her up on that more often. My mom watches my daughter probably 2x a month so we can go out alone, but it might be good to do it more.

• Like 1

Date night went great. It was two hours of blissful, uninterrupted, adult conversation, with delicious ribeye steak and button mushrooms and restaurant hopping for dessert to find pie. I really pretty much over-ate, haha, and felt like a round ball all night. But it was so good. And Dr.Focker had waited until that time to bring up some pretty heavy conversation stuff that we needed to talk about (the old job wants me to take a contract with them!) and being on a date helped me manage my anxiety better. He also got a clearer understanding of how I felt. Ah, communication.

I tried both Sunday and Monday to motivate myself up out of bed for yoga with him in the morning around 6am. It didn't work. My body is demanding more sleep and doesn't want to give up that hour. Plus our son has never slept in all that well. So he's been waking us up at 6am or earlier on a regular basis or trying to sneak downstairs to join Dr. Focker as he gets ready for work. Our house rule is 'not until the sun rises' but it really doesn't work all that well. Our kids are still sleeping upstairs with us, we feel they are too young to be in their own rooms yet. So it's all a season (since I'm pregnant) and it won't be permanent. I just have to find something that works. I also wake up ravenously hungry so eating is my first agenda over yoga, haha.

My plan is to go downstairs once these munchkins fall asleep (putting them down for nap right now) and turn on 30 min of yoga somewhere to do before I reward myself with something. I can at least commit to that. And yes, my labor would be so much easier if I stay active. Not walking at all right now because it is so cold outside. I don't want to set myself up for failure.

Anyway, I'm the only one that can change my habits for good. Been doing the Mind stuff, and been slowly chipping away at the Matter goals. It's just easier to do that kind of stuff for me.

• Like 3

Okay, made it through the first video on this page, the alleviate back pain one. http://prenatalyogacenter.com/free-online-videos/

I'll be honest, I truly miss my instructor back in Morro Bay. She taught and practiced a slower, restorative yoga that I found perfect for listening and following my body's needs with, and I have a hard time doing that with regular paced yoga (like in the video). I'll be doing more searching for restorative prenatal yoga or contacting her for some recommendations. I also realized that if I did her regular warmup and cool down routines that with videos like this it would make for 30+ minutes, so that's good!

Here's to a new start. My body got happy doing yoga again, though I'm very sore and stiff from not moving frequently enough. This just shows me how important it is to do now, every day.

• Like 3

Good job getting in some yoga and working on finding what works for you.  I remember how tired I was when I was pregnant.  It is a whole body and mind kind of tired.  Also nice to hear that you and good Dr. had a fun date night. :)  Talking about serious stuff is always better with pie.

tumblr_n1870alfkU1r7omuyo2_250.gif

• Like 1

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

Reporting at the tail end of a very busy and overwhelming day:

I woke up determined to be productive, or apparently my pregnancy hormones made me irked enough at the house that I took on lots of tidying. Breakfast pancakes made (rare for me), kitchen got cleaned, living room picked up, upstairs bedrooms tidied, and laundry restarted. All before 9am. Got kids dressed and ready, myself same, and out the door by 9:50. Dropped off hugs and work stuff to Dr. Focker that he forgot, then drove to the next town 15 minutes away for a mommy group called Doodlebugs. It was fun meeting all these other moms, some I had met before at the library reading time, and they had huge craft tables with toddlers/kids going crazy on paint, glue, and noodles. Running, screaming, good times.

After it was rush back home for sammies with Dr. Focker for lunch, then rush to the hospital clinic for my OB appt. This is honestly where things started going really south. I was already tired, and the kids were close to nap time, and you add a medical appt with lots of tempting devices and gadgets... my son threw a screaming fit after he lost the privilege to hold the doppler. Because he hit his sister with it, of course. And while the doctor was trying to ask me questions.

I've never had vaccinations during pregnancy but was talked into getting DTAP for the whooping cough protection because it is now protocol for all pregnant women delivering in hospitals in OR. I would add this to my 'laundry list' of why I am not enjoying the hospital/mainstream medical, BUT yesterday we discovered that the midwife in the area has multiple legal infractions over the years, probably lost her license, and has a cease and desist in WA state. She's also been involved in a sketchy-long labor that ended in stillbirth. So yeah, I think it being rural and everything, we are totally okay with just going with what the Lord has provided for us.

Anyway~ I had to talk to three different women in billing after the appointment, and the kids and I were totally not working well together. AND FOR THE LOVE OF MOTHERS EVERYWHERE, stop offering suckers or having candy on your desks people!!! Agh, it was just bad. Everyone over indulges my children when we go places, like some Santa at Christmastime, it drives me nuts. So a fight with my son at every office for this reason. I even had graham crackers with me but they weren't good enough, haha.

We finally made it home, where I practically had to drag my screaming son upstairs for nap. Both children promptly fell asleep, and I cried to Dr. Focker over the phone about everything AND the ridiculousness of trying to get detailed billing statements from the hospital for my services or even get a simple letter stating estimates. He convinced me to take a nap as well, and I slept until almost 5pm. Yes, it felt good.

I don't regret missing out on yoga, or not working on anything for Matter or really Mind (except WaniKani). Today, I did too much, I know. And now, my arm hurts from the shot and I'm going to rest the remainder of the night.

See you tomorrow!

• Like 1

I'm sorry you had such a bad day yesterday. I hope today is better for you. i just can't even imagine the horror of taking two kids to an OB appointment. You seriously should get a metal for surviving that.

I ended up delivering at a hospital with a Midwife and a Doula. My doula was also a birth photographer. So all around, I liked that setup. Although to be honest, the midwife could have done a better job. She was OK. Really the doula was the best part of the experience for me. The doctor/midwife was there to make sure things were OK and to catch the baby ;) You might consider something like that, it might be helpful for you. If I had to rely on my midwife and husband to get me through... well I'm not entirely sure I would have made it. There was all kinds of drama I didn't know about until after the fact, like my labor stalling and the baby getting distressed.

We both came out OK, but then the midwife took FOREVER stitching me up. I was seriously annoyed. But they let me waive the eye ointment and some of the immediate shots, and they let me wait to cut the umbilical cord until the placenta had stopped flowing (is that the right word? pulsing sounds icky). I was able to breastfeed right away and they let me bond with her for a while before they took her off to do their thing. My husband got to go with for that. I got out of there within one day, but STILL got Strep B like a week later (sigh). Stupid hospitals.

Much love to you, I know you have a lot going on. You just have to do what you can do :)

• Like 1