• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ebon

Ebon - Round 1

Well, it's Jan. 4 already here in Oz, so I thought I'd get started and put my challenge up. This is the first one I've done, so I'm going to try to keep it simple. Feedback is welcome.

There are four goals to this challenge. It goes as follows:

1) I already train aikido weekly, but I find I need to build up a little bit of muscle so that I can train better. Thus my goal is to go to the gym twice a week.

2) I do eat dessert, but I shouldn't, and I really don't need it. Hence, my second goal is to not eat anything after dinner (except fruit).

3) On the subject of food, I rarely drink soft drink. I may as well cut it out. So my third goal is to avoid soft drinks.

4) Finally, to 'level up my life', I think I'd like to get journal-writing. My final goal is to write in my journal at least once each week.

I'll post in here to let myself (and anyone who's listening) know how it's going. Onwards!

• Like 2

Excellent goals :-) 

Do you have a grading scheme in mind for the dessert and soft drink avoidance?  Please note that considering a goal failed if you slip up once is not recommended.  Considering that an A is fine though.

What else do you like to do?

• Like 1

Another good grading scheme is the stepped expectation, so week 1 is more forgiving than week 4.  That can be a good one for food goals, they're the sort of habit that can respond well to gradual changes to shift your tastes with less reliance on willpower.

• Like 1

Yessssssss.

Another Strength-training aikidoka!

Like Teirin asked, you have a workout plan yet?  Are you using machines?  Dumb bells?  Free weights?  I started with free weights following Starting Strength, which worked really well for me.  Bit of a dense read, but worth it.

And yea, grading schemes are going to be super useful for getting started!  And taper goals and gradings are good, too, like Sara mentioned.  I started some of my early challenge with Have 5 piece of candy, then second week dropped it to 4, then three, yadda yadda ya.  It helped me.  But, if you're already low in the consuming category, might not help.

Welcome to NF!

• Like 1

Wait, aikido?  I missed the aikido!  OUR NUMBERS SWELL AND SOON THE MONASTERY WILL BE OURS TO RULE.  Oops, dreams of world domination are probably not good aikido.

• Like 1

Wait, aikido?  I missed the aikido!  OUR NUMBERS SWELL AND SOON THE MONASTERY WILL BE OURS TO RULE.  Oops, dreams of world domination are probably not good aikido.

No no no, it's not world domination.  It's world harmony.  Totally good aikido.

• Like 2

Looks good! You'll find as you get used to it that fruit is more than enough sweetness to take care of your needs. It'll take a little getting used to, but it's good.

Also, if you don't have a gym routine yet, kettlebells are a great strength tool for martial artists, I've found. I don't like the cultish following they have, but if you have access, they are a pretty great tool.

No no no, it's not world domination.  It's world harmony.  Totally good aikido.

That sounds totally legit.  What is aikido for, if not helping people blend into one on a global scale.  A hakama-wearing civil service could harmonize the shit out of things, on top of being super-stylish.

• Like 1

You'll find as you get used to it that fruit is more than enough sweetness to take care of your needs. It'll take a little getting used to, but it's good.

Yep, this.  And in a pinch, there's dried fruit.  Easy to overdo it, but it might be a good stepping stone while you're giving up dessert.  Also, if you look at old-fashioned food trends, for a long time there was a trend for a small serving of cheese, fresh fruit, and nuts for dessert.  High on useful nutrition and pretty damn satisfying.

Dessert is mostly a mental thing, I think.  And not necessarily a bad one, because there's a mental satisfaction component to meals, and making changes is easier when you're using that rather than fighting it.  It's not necessarily bad to have a small course of the meal to say, "yup, meal's over, let's linger for a minute and then get back to things".  There are many ways to do that, like a cup of coffee or something that's actually useful for your goals.  Figuring out how to use that makes it less of a big willpower thing.  Willpower is fickle.

• Like 1

Wow! There have been so many comments, and so quickly! I am touched.

As regards the work-out: I recently went to the gym just before starting this challenge and I had an intro session that cam free with the membership. It's important to note that that was the first time I've ever been in a gym, so it was daunting, but since then I've been and I've really been enjoying it. The guy went well overtime (which was really nice of him), and he gave me two 'days' that I can use for workouts. There are a number of machines as well as free weights. I can post what they are if anybody is interested.

All this talk of dried fruit and nuts and stuff sounds really yum. I am thinking of being lenient on myself and letting myself get away with low-fat yoghurt or something in exceptional cases, but I'm trying to give up the whole habit so we'll see how it goes. The main difficulty I am facing with dessert is that I do tend to have friends over in the evenings, and they come with their own foods. I'm doing OK thus far. It's a good trial, I think. Soft drink is going fine.

As regards 'grading' myself: I like the idea of making each week less forgiving, so I'll give myself 3 'slip ups' in week 1 (across any goals), 2 in week 2, 1 in week 3, and none in week 4.

Sounds like you picked a good gym.  Congrats on taking the leap of going in!  You are quite welcome to post the workouts if you want to.

Having people over who bring their own food does make it more complicated.  maybe some treat-type veggies as well?  Sugar snap peas, peppers?

One week down, and three to go. So far it's Ebon - 1, Challenge - 0.

This week, I did successfully gym. My arms are still sore from last time (but in a good way, I promise)!

I avoided dessert... most of the time. I forgot once, but the rest of the week I did well.

I had no soft drink.

I also wrote in my journal.

That makes 1 slip-up, across all of my targets. That's under par for this week and means I'm set to go on to the next round!

• Like 1

Okay! Time to update! I realise I'm a few days behind in this, but it's been quite hectic 'round here.

I didn't do too well last week, so I'm knocking my overall grade for this challenge down from an A to a B. Although I kept my end of the bargain with journalling, I didn't uphold the gym (in part because the nurse at the Red Cross did poorly on my vein; it will heal, but I couldn't do any heavy lifting for a few days) and I ate some stuff after dinner that I shouldn't have (it's hard when your girlfriend's mom puts food in front of you).

But hey; this challenge wouldn't be a challenge if it didn't challenge me. So this week, I resolved to crack down on it and really get myself into gear. I can slip up once this week before my grade drops.

Things are more complicated this week, though. Yesterday I've had to have a foot operation and I can't walk for a few weeks. I've put my gym membership on hold so I'm not wasting money and am going to spend the rest of this challenge in respite.

Ebon! you cry. How are you going to do this challenge now? Well, fellow monks, fear not. See, I'm going to be cracking down on my eating habits and accelerating that part of my Grand Plan. My first goal (which was 'go to gym twice a week') is now becoming 'Don't snack for morning tea. You don't need it'.

As with the 'dessert', particularly healthy things such as fruit (I know it's not all healthy, but I intend to cut down on it in the next challenge), sugar-free jelly, yoghurt, and nuts are OK if I'm hungry. So far, I've succeeded in this vision for the past two days. Onward!

• Like 2

Hey, man, you gotta do what you gotta do. If you have parts that need to get fixed, then putting weight on them or training them could be pretty detrimental. You have the right idea with focusing down on the diet and making that just airtight and bullet proof.

Enjoy the time off and eat well. If you find yourself in a position to eat unhealthily, make sure the next thing you eat is healthy to make up for it. Live well!

• Like 1

Okay. First, I apologise for not getting back and posting up here. It's been hectic over the last few days. However, here goes:

I've finished my challenge, and I'm happy enough to award myself a C. The last week didn't go perfect, but I did OK in the end.

I'm not going to jump onto the next challenge right away. Rather, I'm going to take the opportunity to really perfect the goals I set this time 'round and let my foot heal up. Next time - the March challenge - I should be up and ready to take on my next opponents.

Cheers, and thanks for all the support ^____^