• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sagequeen

Chronomancing is a Thing

Hi there!

I met my husband in a video game 10 years ago and a thousand miles apart, and we're happily married with a son who loves gaming as much as we do. I'm also a book nerd and enjoy reading and writing fantasy fiction. I'm not big on TV; there are a few series I'll DVR and watch regularly, but I prefer to do more mentally engaging things. 

IRL, I work from home producing podcasts for successful online entrepreneurs. I make a respectable income and LOVE what I do. (I heard about NerdFitness when I edited an interview Steve did with one of my clients! Already pre-ordered the book.)

Life is good, except for one little thing.

I sit. All day.

I've already made some changes and I want to keep that momentum going. Here are my goals:

1. Get back to attending TKD classes 2-3 times weekly with my son. Do something physical for 30 minutes on the other days. I read an NF email that suggested strength training, so I'll start there. I did some weightlifting in high school, so it's not foreign to me.

2. Replace a diet soda with water each day. Increase the number replaced each week until I'm down to two diet sodas (can size) a day. Ultimately, eliminate terrible sugar substitutes and cut back on caffeine.

3. Continue to stick to my diet. I'm doing the iWatchBites app (a WW clone), and I've already lost 6 lbs. The most important part is that I'm changing the way I eat, not crash dieting. After four weeks, I'd like to have lost another 8 lbs.

And now for phase one of my EPIC quest. It's gotta be truly epic, so I've decided to become a chronomancer and create more time for myself.

For this first challenge, I will be going to bed and getting up earlier. It might not seem like a lot, but I'm a hardcore night owl. I lose roughly three hours a day that I can spend doing something more worthwhile and rewarding than staying up browsing weird and randomly fascinating internet sites.

Here's my motivation, the thing I need to record here so I remember WHY I'm doing it: 16 years of radio experience, broadcast quality sound design skills, years of voice acting, and wicked efficient audio production and organizational skills. I'm a total package when it comes to helping others launch and/or improve their podcasts, and I've got long term, happy clients to back that up, including one for whom I manage an 8 podcast network. (Begone, imposter syndrome!)

I'm ready to add consulting, and in some cases, done-for-you services for other podcasters. While I could easily take on another client or two, if I'm going to scale like I want, I need to start building habits that will provide the time I need to achieve that.

So!

Nice to meet you, and the pleasure is mine to find myself in such great company.

(I'll be joining you soon, fellow Monks.)

• Like 5

Welcome! I just started working from home 100% which is part of the reason I found nerd fitness. I don't want to become a blob that just sits in front of my computer! 

I also have a goal of waking up earlier consistently. Following along for support! :)

• Like 1

1. Not sure how I'm going to get in the 30 minutes yet. I'm thinking as long as I get up and move, that's better than nothing. Not ideal, but maybe I'll walk and jog in place while listening to audio before I edit it. Planning to hit TKD tomorrow evening since the C H/A repairman is coming at some point this afternoon.

2. Replacing a diet soda with water as we speak.

3. Avoided the siren call of the chocolate in the pantry and spent my points on healthier things like fruits and veggies and portion control.

Life: Went to bed and up this morning an hour earlier than normal.

Keeping the 'either you did it or you didn't' mentality. Must... ACHIEVE!

• Like 1

Solid motivation! You definitely know what you're doing. Don't forget to pop in on your fellow Rebels and create a support system for yourself. :)

• Like 2

HAD to post this update:

Holidays are a tough time to change eating habits. My goal for this holiday season simple: don't bother trying to lose weight. Just maintain what I lost.

Thrilled to say I did it - and then some!

I managed to enjoy myself with family and yummy food (in moderation). What's more, when I weighed in this morning, I had lost a pound without even trying! Sure, it was over a span of three weeks, but who cares? I conquered Christmas!

It's a little bit of proof to myself that crash dieting isn't the way. Having a mind shift toward a healthier and more thoughtful way of eating for the rest of my life is what really works.

*does a celebratory dance and wonders if that counts toward my 30 mins daily exercise*

• Like 6

I'm glad for your achievement with your diet quest and getting the results you wanted. Keep it up! :applouse:

As for sleeping, I have a similar issue, too. I get to deprive my myself of sleep because of browsing social networking sites with additional school related works that I need to accomplish. I know sleeping is a big part in having good health but I'm unsure if I could do an 8-hour sleep everyday because of school. :indecisiveness:

Anyways, kudos to you in achieving your quests everyday!! :redface: :redface: :redface:

• Like 1

1. Husband showed me some lifting stuff with his free weights. Sore.... ugh. Nothing I can't work out in TKD this evening. (Special bonus to doing martial arts as a student with my son: I can show him how to BE a respectful student, how to persevere, and understanding that being great takes practice. Special challenge in doing TKD with my son: trying to keep up with an 8 year old.)

2. Water success! I was using the little flavor-squirts, but those also have fake sugar. Threw the flavoring away. Considering doing some athletic greens or something like that.

3. Yesterday's diet - right on target for intake. I'm in love with frozen red grapes for a desert treat. My mind says healthy and my mouth thinks cold=grape flavored shaved ice. I have a special 1 cup bowl so I don't eat too many.

Epic: Up at 7 the past two mornings, in bed before 11. More steps in the right direction.

• Like 1

It's a little bit of proof to myself that crash dieting isn't the way. Having a mind shift toward a healthier and more thoughtful way of eating for the rest of my life is what really works.

^^ This. You seem to have the right attitude, and judging by the wins on your thread so far your challenge is set to be pretty awesome :joyous:

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to Nerdfitness :-)

Keeping up with 8 year olds in a martial arts class is indeed a challenge.  Dancing totally counts as part of your activity, just keep it up.  Lots of loud music.

Your plan is very sensible and your thoughts on Christmas and crash dietting are spot on. 

I hope you'll come and check out the Monk's Courtyard and hang out with us, especially since you've already mentioned an interest!

• Like 1

@Teirin, I'd love to! See you there.

Updates:

1. Got a Fitbit today. When I can quantify things I understand them better, and can adjust. Sort of like a budget, but for consumption and exercise. Yay! Hitting another TKD class tonight.

2. I'm getting a head start on 2 waters a day, but not requiring it until next week. So yay!

3. Knocking it out of the park with my points counting. Haven't even used any of my weekly extras. Lots of lean means, veggies, fruits, and occasional carbs. Today? Pomegranate chicken with green beans. Mmmmmmm.

Epic quest: I, ahem... slept through my alarm and didn't get up until 7:30. But I got my son to school on time, so I'm counting it. Planning to work up to 6:30. I am also beginning to chunk out parts of my day to accomplish major things, then filling in the cracks with less pressing, smaller things. In effect, creating time.

Thank you ALL for your support!

• Like 2

*does a celebratory dance and wonders if that counts toward my 30 mins daily exercise*

This is a great thought! And OF COURSE dancing counts!!

I have a fitbit, I love it. It keeps me motivated to get up every once in awhile from my desk to "get my steps in!". My husband thinks I'm ridiculous because I do laps around our downstairs (which conveniently is a giant circle). If you use a computer a lot and are interested in a little reminder to get up and stretch/walk check out Time Out Free. You can set up a schedule of reminders to get up.

• Like 2

@QueenAlice

Thanks for the app tip - I'll check it out.

1. Was thrilled with the Fitbit to see how much I actually burn with an hour of TKD. I don't have free weights and just my husband's curl bar, so I snagged some resistance bands from Amazon, and they'll be delivered today. (Gotta love Amazon Prime.) On another note, I was not so thrilled to see my low, low step count. But hey - seeing reality is the first step to improving it. Pun intended, because I love bad puns. Exercise, check.

2. My husband and son have a habit of taking all the cold water from the fridge. I guess that's what you'd call a 'high quality problem.' I'll have to triple stock the fridge to avoid lukewarm water. Heh. First world problem. Water intake, check.

3. Hells yeah! My workout yesterday gained me extra calories/points, which I did NOT use. I'm hoping to hit my first weight milestone in the next few days. Changing the way I eat, check.

Epic quest: Changed tactics on waking up early. I had a safety net: one alarm for 6:30, and another at 7:00. In my sleep-addled morning state, I could reason that 7am is a perfectly acceptable time to wake up. It gives me a full hour to get my son to school.

WRONG!

I'm looking to create more time for myself, not 'just enough.' So I slashed through my safety net and turned off the 7am alarm. This morning I was up at 6:30. I didn't do much besides sip coffee and read emails, but I'm okay with that. For now. Filling that time with high quality activities is phase 2.

Also - thank you guys for all your kind words and support. Half the reason I log on to report is to see your comments, and you guys inspire me to comment on others' progress.

• Like 3

I just wanted to say thanks for encouraging me on my thread and good luck to you on all your goals!  Sounds like you are doing great so far!

We will slay the soda dragon! :peaceful: 

I also have a desk job where I sit most of the day.  I started using the fitbit and love it.  I'm trying not to use the phone or the messaging system for my coworkers, instead I get up and talk to them.  It's made a big difference on how long I sit at a time.  Also gives me some social time to break up the day, which never hurts.

• Like 1

Great work on the calorie front! Sounds like your TKD sessions are pretty intense.

I feel your pain with the early mornings, I'm naturally a night owl, with early mornings enforced by little ones. Carving out that extra time for yourself should really help, and its important you are taking your time to get used to it (vague pun intended) before using it for anything too taxing

Keep it up!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Epic quest: Changed tactics on waking up early. I had a safety net: one alarm for 6:30, and another at 7:00. In my sleep-addled morning state, I could reason that 7am is a perfectly acceptable time to wake up. It gives me a full hour to get my son to school.

WRONG!

I'm looking to create more time for myself, not 'just enough.' So I slashed through my safety net and turned off the 7am alarm. This morning I was up at 6:30. I didn't do much besides sip coffee and read emails, but I'm okay with that. For now. Filling that time with high quality activities is phase 2.

Well stated. This is my mission, too. Good job acknowledging that and implementing a new alarm system :)

• Like 1

Time for a summary of the past few days:

1. Exercise: Took off Sunday because. :) Yesterday was TKD (hour and a half of moderate intensity), and my resistance bands came in the mail. I'll use them on days I don't have TKD.

2. Water: I met my goal or replacing one diet soda a week last week, and yesterday marked the first day I'm replacing two of them. Odd observation: the more active I am, the less I like the flavor of the soda. I've noticed this before and hope to capitalize on this.

3. Food: Mkay. Pie and ice cream. Yes, my points allow for it and the extra moving around adds more points I can eat, but if I'm going to be 100% honest with myself, I overate this weekend. Back on the wagon today.

Eating to live, not living to eat.

Still, I am making better food choices at mealtime in the way of vegetables>gravy. Not a total flop.

Epic quest: Weekends are my sleep-in days. That's just how it is. I was up this morning at 6:45. Yay!

1. Exercise: Tonight is TKD! Yesterday was tough - busy days are a challenge, but as a client of mine said about writing, you'll have time for something when you MAKE time for it. Chronomancy.

2. Water: two!

3. Diet: I avoided the leftover key lime pie yesterday. That was a win.

EPIC: Gah. I overslept! I was still up before 7:30, so I made up for it by using my new free time to do something I love, and have never done in the morning - writing.

It was terrible, first draft quality, but I did it. And I see potential in it. Just need to work out that mental muscle. I can do more pushups this week than I did last; I'll write better quality stuff next week than I did this week.

SIDE NOTE: began reading Steve's new book last night. I am SUCH an Underpants Gnome. >.<

1. Worked my BUTT off yesterday. Literally, I hope. Today I did resistance band stuff. Yeah - I'm not totally sure I'm doing it right, but I figure I can learn as I go. The most important thing is to start doing it.

2. Unless cherry vanilla ginger ale counts as water... sigh. I didn't get my two waters in. Going to do better tomorrow.

3. Diet... yeeeeah. Being stuck in the car for hours can be tough. I had a not so great dinner. But hey, this is life, and stuff happens. I ate a very good breakfast and lunch, so I'm not going to knock myself too hard. Plus, that key lime pie is still in the freezer. Uneaten.

EPIC: BAH. I'm going to have to put my alarm across the room. The bed is SOOOOO warm and comfy in the morning... But, I was still up before 7:30a. Not the 6:30 I wanted, but the alarm strategy will help.

About to dive into Level Up Your Life again!

How's everything going?

Awesome - my husband's birthday was yesterday and I managed to get him what is probably the best gift ever. I usually suck at gifts.

It was wrapped in *diabolical duct tape* wrapping paper and came inside a REAL wooden crate, branded with the words Man Crates. He had to pry it open with a mini-crowbar. He said 'I don't even care what's in it - this is already awesome.' Lol!

Inside was a Himalayan salt block grilling setup, which - to my surprise - he'd been wanting but didn't tell me.

Gave myself a free meal pass and took him out to eat. A nice surprise for me, too: I'm used to smaller portions now, and my brain was comparing the size of the meal I ordered to what I TRULY need to be satisfied. The fridge is full of leftovers.

Note - satisfied, not full.

We did a lot of walking around, so I counted that as my exercise.

Good times, thank you for asking!   :)

• Like 1

That is awesome!! Did you do the duct tape wrap yourself or did it come like that? I wrapped christmas presents in obnoxious colored duct tape one year. I thought it was hllarious, but I was the only one.

That is awesome!! Did you do the duct tape wrap yourself or did it come like that? I wrapped christmas presents in obnoxious colored duct tape one year. I thought it was hllarious, but I was the only one.

I had the option to add the duct tape when I purchased it online. :)

But I'm already thinking about the family Christmas next year... I'm the worst gift picker/wrapper EVER. It's hard to mess up duct tape. Just put more duct tape on it.

Hey! Maybe I'll go Inception and gift rolls of duct tape wrapped in duct tape wrapping paper.

• Like 1