Raven Reboot: Korvida's Kicking it up a Notch

Korvida

So I am back and doing my best to respawn since getting royally pwned by life a year and a bit ago.  To account for the absence I took myself down to level 1 (and adjusted my stat points accordingly). I'm restarting in the rebels since I don't feel that I can commit to any of the specific guilds just yet.  I will continue to eye up the Warrior guild however, as I felt most happy lifting heavy things and for the first time in ever I saw progress I was loving and I didn't care about the scale at all.  Maybe one day I will be able to make it back to that level of commitment, but baby steps, for now.

Since I left NF, my weight hasn't really changed, but my body composition sure has.  I've always had a 'base layer' of extra fat on my body that puts me into the overweight BMI category.  I would use that Cartman excuse "I have big bones" and that may be somewhat true, but facing facts I know I overeat and I would really like to burn off some of that fat.  I've read the paleo/weight lifter opinions that you need to strength train and eat lean proteins/veggies/fruits while avoiding grains and dairy to lose the fat and I totally respect that - but the intense paleo diet is too big of a commitment for me.  I keep some grains in my diet - the whole ones, while mostly omitting breads and baked goods.  Regardless, my current goals are calorie in vs. calorie out in nature as well as healthy foods in.  I'll work my way up to the more intense diet plans perhaps, but for now I know it's not sustainable for me and I need to aim for something more realistic.

I have always had good success with meal and fitness tracking when I was very determined to lose weight, but I found it easy to ignore my apps if I was feeling guilty about not living up to my goals. The most challenging part about having to enter all of your diet and fitness into a tracking app is that sometimes it's hard to know just how many calories you burned in a day (I don't know how far I walked or what my heart rate was) and many home made foods are tough to account for in terms of calories unless you enter all the ingredients separately and weigh/measure everything.  It gets tedious.  I wanted to try the Fitbit Charge HR to take some of the guesswork out of the calorie burn side of the equation.  I've been using it since the beginning of December and am proud to say I have been consistently logging my food intake again (though home made foods still pose a challenge).  Over the last month I have learned/confirmed a few things: my new job is resulting in me being more sedentary than ever before; I do not get enough sleep; I eat or want to eat much more than I burn in a day - even if it is nutritious food.

So, with all that in mind, I set for myself the following challenge:

Diet

• Reduce coffee-with-cream drink at office to one per day, after that, consume only black coffee or herbal tea drinks
  • Meet my Fitbit calorie intake goal 5 out of 7 days of the week (I have committed to a 500 cal/day deficit - on the other two days I will not eat more than I burn)

Fitness

• Meet my Fitbit activity goal of 5 active days per week (go for a 30+ min walk, use stationary bike 30+ minutes, cardio or yoga, etc)

Level Up Your Life

• Go to bed 10 minutes earlier each week

While these goals don't sound tough, I have been struggling on my own with them for some time - so hopefully some accountability will push me over the wall!

Happy New Year and good luck to everyone!!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

While this is unnecessary for the challenge, I'd like to celebrate some Past Achievements (things I'm already doing that I would like to continue):

Diet:

• Only sweeten coffee/tea with stevia instead of sugar, or do not use sweetener
  • Eating nutritious, whole foods - organic and local as much as possible
  • Increasing produce purchase from local farmer's market
  • Meticulous food intake entry into calorie tracker app

Level Up Your Life:

• Choosing a few new recipes per week from my Clean Eating and Power Foods cookbooks - trying new ways to keep my diet clean and healthy
  • Reading 1-2 books for pleasure per month (brand new library card - aw yeah!)

• Like 3

Level: 3 Race: Human-Wood Elf Hybrid Class: Rebel

[STR - 1] [DEX - 1] [STA - 8] [CON - 7] [WIS - 13] [CHA - 3]

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Glad to see another respawn! The coffee goal is tough, I cut back on it and I found myself feeling like I should have something in my hands, which creepily makes it like a cigarette habit.

I've been thinking of getting the fitbit, are they worth it?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For helping me stay accountable to my specific goals, I think the Fitbit Charge HR is worth it. I can't speak to the usefulness of the flex or one, which apparently can only track steps and sleep. I love that my Charge HR auto recognises my activities and corresponds my heart rate to how many calories I burned. It is not super accurate for counting floors climbed, and steps can get overestimated, so it is definitely not perfect. Regardless, for me it has been very helpful and I think if you're looking to track fitness, calories and sleep, it's great. For the more intense athlete, they would likely prefer the Surge.

Glad to see another respawn! The coffee goal is tough, I cut back on it and I found myself feeling like I should have something in my hands, which creepily makes it like a cigarette habit.

I've been thinking of getting the fitbit, are they worth it?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Level Up Your Life:

• Reading 1-2 books for pleasure per month (brand new library card - aw yeah!)

Always pumped to see people using their local library!  I tend to listen to audiobooks while I walk and do chores.  Does your library system have Overdrive?

BlueThunderBomb

Lvl 0 Yeti Rebel

Current Challenge

Quest the First: Bodyweight Exercises (3 times a week)

66.6%
66.6%

Quest the Second: Walk 2 miles (3 times a week)

75%
75%

Quest the Third: Track my calories every day

75%
75%

hi!

tough goals are all relative! you know what is challenging and realistic for you :) I also like my fitbit more than I thought I would. I got a flex as a gift a little over a year ago and was all like “do I really need this??†and now I have a cute etsy bracelet for it and never take it off

JcCX7nF.jpg

when I started tracking things, I remember people were telling me to get a food scale. and I thought it was just a little too involved. I finally gave in and I use it probably more than 5x/day! just a thought for maybe a future goal :D

Always pumped to see people using their local library!  I tend to listen to audiobooks while I walk and do chores.  Does your library system have Overdrive?

agreed! such an easy way to get free audiobooks from the library

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Why, yes, they totally do!!  I didn't even know what that was but I googled it and they sure do have Overdrive. I love audiobooks!! I love my library, too! I was a total library nerd kid growing up - it was the only place I felt safe during lunch hour in school - but during university with all those textbook readings I lost my way.  I am in awe of how much more public libraries offer these days and super proud to carry a card for mine!

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

hi!

tough goals are all relative! you know what is challenging and realistic for you :) I also like my fitbit more than I thought I would. I got a flex as a gift a little over a year ago and was all like “do I really need this??†and now I have a cute etsy bracelet for it and never take it off

JcCX7nF.jpg

when I started tracking things, I remember people were telling me to get a food scale. and I thought it was just a little too involved. I finally gave in and I use it probably more than 5x/day! just a thought for maybe a future goal :D

agreed! such an easy way to get free audiobooks from the library

Hahaha that meme is totally my life. If my battery starts dying I think "Ahhh gotta get in a workout now or it won't count and in an hour it will be too late!!" My little bracelet rules my life now, but it's good to have that nudge sometimes.  

I actually do have a scale and I go back and forth with using it.  I put it back on my kitchen counter to remind me to use it, and it comes in handy when I'm measuring out things like dried fruit and nuts to top my oatmeal so I don't get carried away etc.  Using it more frequently could definitely be a challenge goal! :)

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

So it is unlikely that I will be posting daily status updates on my challenge, but I figure I might as well start this off on the right foot, so lets see how Day 1 went:

Diet

• Reduce coffee-with-cream drink at office to one per day, after that, consume only black coffee or herbal tea drinks - COMPLETE - GRADE A!
  • Meet my Fitbit calorie intake goal 5 out of 7 days of the week (I have committed to a 500 cal/day deficit - on the other two days I will not eat more than I burn) - COMPLETED DAY 1 OF 5! - GRADE A!

Fitness

• Meet my Fitbit activity goal of 5 active days per week (go for a 30+ min walk, use stationary bike 30+ minutes, cardio or yoga, etc) - Whoops, best get on that tomorrow! - Grade: In Progress ;) 

Level Up Your Life

• Go to bed 10 minutes earlier each week (this translates to no later than 11:30 pm, losing a grade for every extra 10 mins...- I'm going to bed right now, I swear!!  Grade B 
  • Like 2

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

I think celebrating your past achievements is a great way to keep you motivated! Good luck on the challenge. :) 

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

New recipe success today! Had to share because I'm freaking loving my new pressure cooker. Kalua Pig. Make it. Eat it. Bask in the noms... I know I am :)

On another note, I am totally fighting some cold that is going around, and I do not have the energy to work out today :(  on the upside, I'm betting I'll be getting to bed well before my regular bed time because I'm pretty darn tired.  And as far as I can tell, I met my calorie goal for the day while still being full of yummy yummy noms. I also did not go over my one cream-filled coffee/tea for the day at work.  Now to load up on immune boosters and try to sleep this illness out of my body :S

• Like 1

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Adding this from my phone so we'll see how it goes lol. These are my stats from yesterday. I am definitely sick today, but I got a better sleep so if I'm still feeling ick I will at least try to do my 30 min yoga video I've been meaning to try since Christmas lol. Happy Wednesday everyone :)

• Like 1

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

ugh nom nom paleo has been totally making me want a pressure cooker with all her awesome recipes. i'm actually in the market for a new crockpot so maybe i'll just do a pressure cooker instead... i can't justify both!

feel better soon!

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Hey!

Just wanted to drop in and say that I really like the goals you have set out, and your positivity. Definitely great to see!

Much the same I am getting back into NF after a year absent, so I can understand where you are coming from there to an extent.

The Charge HR is defintely great, and I will certainly be using mine to stay accountable!

It has been really good reading through and seeing the progress and positivity that you have had over the first couple of days, keep it up!

Feel better soon, nothing worse than being sick when trying to keep up a fitness regime, but you pulled something good and positive out of it which is, again, so awesome to see!

Good luck, I can see you are going to do well already though!

• Like 1

- Uruk-Hai Rebel -

LEVEL 4

STR [3] | DEX [1] | STA [2] | CON [7] | WIS [7] | CHA [5]

Please follow me on my current quest: A Funeral Mist

The story so far: Chapter 1: Son of Sodom Arise | Chapter 2: A Testament ov Fire, Descend to Hell | Chapter 3: Only a Dragon's Force to Get Through Hell

Chapter 4: Mayhem Within the Trinity

To infinity and beyond!

\RADACT'S INTERNETS/

ugh nom nom paleo has been totally making me want a pressure cooker with all her awesome recipes. i'm actually in the market for a new crockpot so maybe i'll just do a pressure cooker instead... i can't justify both!

feel better soon!

Instant Pot pressure cookers can slow cook too!! No need to compromise! :)

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Instant Pot pressure cookers can slow cook too!! No need to compromise! :)

so i immediately started researching them after commenting earlier and saw that they slow cook too. That's insane. I totally need one!

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

so i immediately started researching them after commenting earlier and saw that they slow cook too. That's insane. I totally need one!

If you are used to a big oval slow cooker, go for the 6 quart instant pot. I got the 5 quart and while it is great for 1-2 people, the bigger one is worth it for 2-4 I think. Keep in mind you don't always get to use the entire space in the cooker, for expanding or potentially frothy things like beans and peas, you can't fill it more than half full. Plus most recipes I've seen assume you have the big one lol. Just a heads up!

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

It has been really good reading through and seeing the progress and positivity that you have had over the first couple of days, keep it up!

Hi back! It's interesting that you noticed that I am very positive lol, I don't always think of myself that way, but I think this community has a way of bringing the best out of people! That's one of the reasons I kept meaning to come back! Thanks for the encouragement!

• Like 1

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Progress for today:

Diet: 

• 500 calorie deficit maintained
  • Only one drink with cream at the office, rest was herbal
  • A+!

Fitness:

• 30 min yoga video (it was more of a relaxation yoga so I don't really consider it fitness... but I'm sick so it's about all I can do) B for effort lol

Level Up Your Life:

• Oh I am so going to bed in less than half an hour.  A to the + lol

Stats Screenshot:

• Like 1

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Hi back! It's interesting that you noticed that I am very positive lol, I don't always think of myself that way, but I think this community has a way of bringing the best out of people! That's one of the reasons I kept meaning to come back! Thanks for the encouragement!

Haha, yeah I completely understand that. It has only been recently when a few people have mentioned that I have positive outlooks on things that I started to think of myself that way. But I can definitely say that everything I am reading seems very positive and definitely demonstrates progress.

Yeah, I must agree, the best thing about the community is how supportive it is, I think we can all agree that it is an important thing for all of us.

No worries, anytime!

Keep up the good work, looks like you have just logged an A+ average for the day, very nice! :D

• Like 1

- Uruk-Hai Rebel -

LEVEL 4

The story so far: Chapter 1: Son of Sodom Arise | Chapter 2: A Testament ov Fire, Descend to Hell | Chapter 3: Only a Dragon's Force to Get Through Hell

To infinity and beyond!

\RADACT'S INTERNETS/

Yesterday's results:

Diet:

Successful moderation regarding high calorie beverages at the office.

Illness was messing with my appetite. Barely ate all day, then I was famished in the evening. Will post stats later, but it looks like my deficit was around 200 cal... Still in line with the weekly goal.

Fitness:

30 min yoga done early in the morning

Level up your life:

Well, I passed out at 7 pm and woke up around 9, which messed up my bedtime and I didn't really get back to sleep till after midnight... Not quite a fail, but not ideal either. Napping is a cruel mistress lol.

I think I'm on the upswing and beating this cold at least... Lots of rest over the weekend will help I'm sure.

• Like 1

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Well it sounds like it was quite a positive result, even despite the set back from being sick.

You have started off the year with a really great week :)

Haha, napping surely is indeed!

It's great to hear you are feeling on the up, and kicking that cold.

Enjoy the weekend and the resting, and feel better!

• Like 1

- Uruk-Hai Rebel -

LEVEL 4

To infinity and beyond!

\RADACT'S INTERNETS/

So when I looked at my fitbit results, I apparently made my 500 cal deficit for the day yesterday, so woot on that!  Must have been all the trips up and down the stairs to the laundry machines..

Winter Saturdays tend to be cozy inside days for me.  It is currently -18 C outside (-27 C with windchill) and I just said to heck with that. I slept in, read a bit of my book, and then, as I tend to do, I took to my kitchen to try out some new recipes (and try to use up whatever is in my fridge that I've been neglecting before it spoils). I finished off the last of my Kalua Pig on Friday, so today I pulled out a chunk of beef pot roast and decided to experiment with my Instant Pot.  Last time I used a recipe that came with the pot for beef and I wasn't totally excited by the results.  Beef is a tough one for me.  I love the flavour, but it's usually the texture that gets me.  So rarely is it enjoyable, and beef that is too tough, sinewy, dry, etc is just a waste of good cow.  I hate wasting good cow.  So I took a page out of the Kalua Pig recipe and stabby-stabbed a bunch of garlic cloves into my roast (whether or not this works out, it was for the greater good as my garlic was starting to sprout and needed to get used ASAP).  I went totally off script for this one and decided to rely on my culinary senses this time, for better or worse (my skillset is comprised of 10th and 11th grade cooking class and binge-watching Master Chef and Hells Kitchen... I digress...).  I kept it simple anyhow, and sauteed some red onion (that I rescued from the evil clutches of early-onset mold) with a tablespoon(ish, heavy on the ish) of butter (heck yes). The Instant Pot I own (basic model) isn't great at temperature regulation in saute mode and it is really easy to burn stuff to the bottom of the pot, so I doused the onions with wine as needed. Once it was all nice and soft, I browned the roast on all sides, seasoned it with a bunch of pepper and a bit of salt, poured the rest of the wine in and tossed in a couple carrots and sticks of celery for good measure. Put the lid on, sealed it up and now we wait.  I'm about 10 minutes away from finding out the results of my experiment (with baked potatoes right behind it) so hopefully it all works out!  

On a cooking side note, I also tried cooking spaghetti squash in my pressure cooker for the first time and it worked great!! I can't believe I've been baking them all this time! It feels like I'd been bashing nails with a rock all that time and someone handed me a hammer.  Night and day!

Still got a raggedy cough so I'm not attempting anything cardio-related until that clears up.  Fitness goals are essentially pooched for the week, but that's life.  As a counter-measure, I'll do my best to keep the calorie deficit going all 7 days this week.  No cream for my coffee when I'm not at the office, so that's an easy one to beat on weekends.  We'll see if the noisy neighbours partying downstairs and across the hall will let me get to bed before 11:30.  Probably not lol. Ah well. Onward :)

• Like 2

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal