Raven Reboot: Korvida's Kicking it up a Notch

Korvida

Week 1 - Complete!  Wow that went by fast!  Here's what happened:

Diet

• Reduce coffee-with-cream drink at office to one per day, after that, consume only black coffee or herbal tea drinks
    • Successful on all days but Friday.  For whatever reason, I needed that second pick-me-up.  A-
  • Meet my Fitbit calorie intake goal 5 out of 7 days of the week (I have committed to a 500 cal/day deficit - on the other two days I will not eat more than I burn)
    • Success on the 5 of 7 days goal.. overdid it on Thursday and Sunday.  I wanted to do 7 out of 7 to make up for lack of exercise being sick, but oh well.  I'll say A for meeting this goal at least.

Fitness

• Meet my Fitbit activity goal of 5 active days per week (go for a 30+ min walk, use stationary bike 30+ minutes, cardio or yoga, etc)
    • Got 3 out of 5.  B -

Level Up Your Life

• Go to bed 10 minutes earlier each week
    • The fitbit does not lie... got to sleep before 11:30 3 of 7 days this week (might have been in bed before 11:30, but likely tossed and turned a lot and didn't sleep til late).  Argh.  C-

Well, this has been a so-so week.  Shaky start with the cold.  Getting healthier again.  Got on the scale this morning and was sad to see NO change in weight.  Might be because I was ill, or perhaps, as I suspect, my Fitbit app lets me eat too much.  I'm happy I'm not gaining weight, but I really want to see some progress, so I may have to start ignoring what it says I can eat and aiming for that scary low of 1300 calories per day (at a sedentary activity level, more if I'm active, of course).  I'll give it another week of following the recommended deficits based on what it thinks I burn, and if I again see no change, it'll be time to re-evaluate my food intake in conjunction with my fitness regimen.

• Like 3

Level: 3 Race: Human-Wood Elf Hybrid Class: Rebel

[STR - 1] [DEX - 1] [STA - 8] [CON - 7] [WIS - 13] [CHA - 3]

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Regardless of how your week started, you ended the week good!

Do you use a calorie counter with fitbit or do you input it directly? I have not directly added food to fitbit but I do use Myfitnesspal and it links them together.

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Do you use a calorie counter with fitbit or do you input it directly? I have not directly added food to fitbit but I do use Myfitnesspal and it links them together.

I use the fitbit calorie counter. I never really liked MFP so never really used it for more than a day. Don't ask why, it just didn't jive for me. I'm suspicious of my fitbit's accuracy since a person of my height and weight at sedentary activity levels has an estimated calorie burn of give or take 1700-1800 cal per day. I mean, if I do absolutely NOTHING all day, that is what the fitbit says I burn, which makes sense, but even on a very lightly active day where I do a lot of sitting at work it will often say I've burned upwards of 2000-2100 which seems very high to me. I can't imagine driving my car and prepping dinner/doing dishes burned an extra 300. Maybe it did. I am still definitely calibrating my body to the numbers I'm getting, but I'm glad to say I haven't gained any weight (big deal over Christmas lol) and I am starting to consistently see the lower end of my weight range on the scale (it fluctuates a lot) so I think I'm going in the right direction. Just need to add fitness back in there again!

• Like 2

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Not really challenge-related, but I need to celebrate this cooking achievement somewhere: 1 freaking awesome, not-stuck-to-the-damn-pan-again fritatta cooked perfectly in a badass cast iron skillet!  I can't even express the magnitude of the awesomeness for me, because I swear I can make non-stick sticky.  I can make butter stick to non-stick.  I'm a walking disaster in the kitchen when it comes to everything sticking to everything else.  Lol, that's exaggerating a tiny bit, but still.  So without further ado, check out this gorgeous and hella tasty accomplishment!

Kale and Potato Fritata with Chicken Sausage and Goat Cheese

• Like 2

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

That looks delicious and grats! I sometimes think the whole "non-stick" thing is a lie. :)

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Congrats on the first week! It definitely seems like a great win, and a great start!

You could call that a B+ or A average for week 1, which is amazing really! I think it goes to show that you picked good goals and you did really well trying to achieve them.

I think your positivity really helped with it all, which is wonderful, especially dealing with a cold during that week.

Nice work!

Also, nice work on the culinary prowess, the roast sounded amazing and that fritatta looks damn good! :P

Re: FitBit calorie counter, I think it comes up a bit high with the burn count too, but I don't think it is a lot really. I found when I first really started with my FitBit that it took a couple of weeks to really notice the start of the weight loss, and then it was pretty consistent from then onwards. So I wouldn't worry too much about it too much right now, if you focus on the calorie in vs out and endeavour to do your best you will definitely see results :)

Good luck for week 2! Hopefully you start feeling 100% very soon and you blast all your challenges out of the water this week!

• Like 1

- Uruk-Hai Rebel -

LEVEL 4

STR [3] | DEX [1] | STA [2] | CON [7] | WIS [7] | CHA [5]

Please follow me on my current quest: A Funeral Mist

The story so far: Chapter 1: Son of Sodom Arise | Chapter 2: A Testament ov Fire, Descend to Hell | Chapter 3: Only a Dragon's Force to Get Through Hell

Chapter 4: Mayhem Within the Trinity

To infinity and beyond!

\RADACT'S INTERNETS/

Week 2 - Complete!  Some ups and downs this week. Here's the breakdown (thankful for the fitbit data this week!)

Diet

• Reduce coffee-with-cream drink at office to one per day, after that, consume only black coffee or herbal tea drinks
    • Successful 4 of 7 days.  (I got some awesome gingerbread cookie tea and it just had to be enjoyed properly... lol) B-

• Meet my Fitbit calorie intake goal 5 out of 7 days of the week (I have committed to a 500 cal/day deficit - on the other two days I will not eat more than I burn)
    • Success on the 4 of 7 days goal.. overdid it on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. On 2 of the 4 days I was 50 cals over, which apparently is not a super big deal so I'm just going to roll with it.  Let's say this was a B+ category this week.

Fitness

• Meet my Fitbit activity goal of 5 active days per week (go for a 30+ min walk, use stationary bike 30+ minutes, cardio or yoga, etc)
    • Got 5 out of 5!  A+!

Level Up Your Life

• The fitbit does not lie... got to sleep before 11:30 3 of 7 days this week.  Argh.  (this one is really tough!! and technically this week it was supposed to be 11:20, and in that case it was 1 of 7 days...) I'm gonna have to say this is easily a D- if not an outright fail lol.

Well, my fitness success managed to drag me out of a full post-of-shame for Week 2 lol.  I definitely need to start getting to bed earlier.  Problem is, I luuurv sleeping in on weekends, so I've pretty much already sabotaged my sleep for tonight lol.  It is a vicious cycle.  An equally difficult, but likely more effective life goal would probably have been "Get up by 6 on weekdays and by 7 on weekends" lol.  I may have to try that one instead, next challenge.  But for now, onward!  I hope everyone out there in Rebel Land had a successful Week 2!!

• Like 1

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Awesome work!

Everything looks great for your midway point, and ever still your positivity is awesome to see :)

The sleep thing is hard one I think. I totally understand the weekend thing, wanting to sleep in, but skewing the cycle :/  but I think the important thing is that you are aware of it, and making an effort to still achieve it.

In some of my previous challenges I did reward myself for making mental changes with a quest. If I was making a conscious effort to change something, or do something, but I found I wasn't quite hitting the mark, I told my self that it was still a great change. I feel that the point of these challenges is to make and change habits, and the biggest thing is the mental challenge. If you are aware of what you are trying to do, and you are making an effort, you have already done all the hard work, and it is just that last bit of result that you are waiting on.

In short; you are trying, and you are aware of the goal, so even if you haven't got an A, you have done a great job on moulding your habit, and I praise you for that! :)

Certainly a good idea for your next challenge! If you want to focus on your sleeping habits then go for it.

Yeah the FitBit is a good motivator, and good to help visualise results and feel good about how you are going!

Onward indeed! Keep up the great work and good luck with Week 3!

• Like 2

- Uruk-Hai Rebel -

LEVEL 4

STR [3] | DEX [1] | STA [2] | CON [7] | WIS [7] | CHA [5]

Please follow me on my current quest: A Funeral Mist

The story so far: Chapter 1: Son of Sodom Arise | Chapter 2: A Testament ov Fire, Descend to Hell | Chapter 3: Only a Dragon's Force to Get Through Hell

Chapter 4: Mayhem Within the Trinity

To infinity and beyond!

\RADACT'S INTERNETS/

Phew!  This has been a pretty decent week so far, actually!  I won the fitbit workweek challenge (100k + steps, dayum!) and kept my calories in deficit all week, so there goes that 5 of 7 goal, kicked right out of the water!  Same as the exercise goal :) - time to pig out, right?!?! no? dang!  Well, I'm definitely going to enjoy my full calorie allowance today at least, if I feel like it.  Right now I've got some insanely delicious-smelling homemade granola in the oven.  Get this - Vanilla Almond Coconut Granola infused with Cream of Earl Grey tea.  Aw yess.  My stomach is rumbling it smells so good lol.

• Like 1

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Ok, I've been very naughty!  (Well, more like busy and tired, but no matter).  This is Week 3's (belated) summary:

Diet

• Successful 3 of 7 days.  (Bit of a tough week) C+
    • Success on the 4 of 7 days goal.. technically.  This goal is a bit of a bust - I will elaborate in my Week 4 post. (Grade changed to IP for In Progress lol)

Fitness

• Got 5 out of 5! Nailed it!!  A+! (Very proud of this aspect of the challenge --> being part of a fitbit challenge group has been awesome motivation)

Level Up Your Life

• The fitbit does not lie... got to sleep before 11:10 2 of 7 days this week.  Argh. If I want to commit to a healthy life I really need to get real about this issue.  It's probably even more important than weight loss since being tired pretty much sabotages everything else I try to do right because I am such a zombie all day.  Damn being a night owl! D-

Ok so this post was pretty late... the Week 4 post will be coming shortly and I will summarize a major conclusion I have come to about the fitbit's limitations and how I have planned to mitigate them for the next challenge.  Hope everyone is still kicking ass and taking names at the tail end of this challenge!

• Like 1

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Wait, what??  Today is the last day of this challenge?  Well, heck.  Might as well wrap it up then I guess.  

Here is what happened during this last week: 

Diet

• Successful 3 of 7 days.  (I slacked...) C+
    • This goal is a complete bust, and that is ok.  We live and learn, and the fitbit was definitely an experiment for me.  As it turns out, the fitbit is poorly calibrated to my actual calorie burn (this is becoming widely documented, just google 'fitbit is making me fat') and it was saying I could eat way more than I should have and still lead me to believe I had stayed within my target deficit of -500 cal/day.  I'm not saying this is true for everyone, but I am not new to the calorie deficit weight loss strategy and have had very good success with food tracking in the past, so I am quite sure this tracker is just way out of wack.  I'm a mostly sedentary desk worker and I shouldn't be eating ~2000 cal per day to lose weight.  That's just silly.  But oh man do I love good food, so I let the app lull me into a false sense of security.  Well, I'm awake now, and I really want to wear those jeans I haven't worn since summer, so Fitbit calorie burn readings, you are banished from my app screen!!  I have reset the app to a manual calorie limit of 1280 and will only consider properly registered 'workouts' (walking, running, elliptical, sports, aerobics) as loggable calorie burn over and above that limit. However, removing the cal in vs cal out functionality from the Fitbit app really limits its helpfulness for me, so I decided to try MyFitnessPal (but oh gawd, how I hate ads and really don't want to pay for premium...) to log my foods, since I can delete erroneous calorie burn entries from the daily diary page.  Phew.  That was a long-winded update, but nevertheless, there it is.  I'm looking forward to seeing how my augmentations work out for February's challenge! (I feel like I deserve at least a B final grade for my tracking diligence... even if I did allow myself to be fooled, lol)

Fitness

• Rough week - 2 of 5 so far (I give myself until Sunday, and I will be trying to get in my last two days then... so let's go with A-)

Level Up Your Life

• The fitbit does not lie... got to sleep before 11:00 1 of 7 days this week.  Argh.  Full on F.  Will have to revisit this issue from a different approach to try to improve my sleep records!

So overall I feel like I probably averaged something like a C+ for this challenge.  I'm not super motivated to go and actually work out the final grade, but my instincts tell me it was not a smashing success.  I think the biggest achievement was the fitness (for the most part).  I got battered by life a little bit over the last month, but I did pretty well on that front.  The Fitbit is definitely not a perfect device, and I will say I am sad that it is not reliable or useful for tracking calories even remotely accurately.  However, it still has tons of value in terms of motivation, and I like seeing my steps and sleep.  I still think the heart rate monitor works just fine for my needs, and the fact that it auto-recognises exercises is helpful to me.  I take the time the Fitbit recorded and enter it into MFP (which usually gives a lower and more realistic calorie burn, especially for walking, I'm noticing) and I can still use the fitbit to help me keep track of how much I actually did.  The device still has plenty of value, and perhaps the company is working hard as I write this to fix the calorie issues, who knows!  Anyway, it's ok Fitbit, I forgive you ;) lol.  Congrats to everyone who made it to the end of their challenges successfully and see you in February!!!!

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Wrap up post:

After giving it some thought, I decided this challenge is level-up worthy.  I finished it, and I learned some stuff, and I improved - that sounds like leveling up to me!  

In reality, my main goal for this challenge was not really to lose weight, since I knew I was using something experimental for me. I really wanted to rebuild some habits I'd let go of, such as nutrition tracking, NF challenge participation, and getting as much movement into a day as I could.  A lot went right.  I maintained the tracking habits I wanted to rebuild.  I got active.  I went back to the drawing board and readjusted my nutrition goals and changed my data entry platform.  I think I will do better next challenge and actually see results, now that I've shaken off the hypnotic effect of the "zone meter" in the fitbit app for calorie burn (which in reality is a GREAT idea, if it worked for me).  See everyone in February!

• Like 3

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal