HeatherAllyse: 2016 - Infected (Heather vs. Zombies)

StarRuby

Journal Entry: 1/04/2016

The outbreak was quick. 

People got sick before they really even knew what happened. Military bases were hit first, all that the governments could figure was that the zombie apocalypse was brought on by biological warfare. It was all very hush-hush; if you weren't in the brass then there was no way that you could know what would happen. Civilians who lived outside of the base were the ones who felt the worst of it. 

It only took a week before something bit me. 

---

Hello, lovelies! I'm back from a long, long hiatus and I'm ready to get back into the swing of things. New year, way to start fresh, right? I figured out how much I missed the Nerd Fitness community and, while having a huge conversation with the girlfriend, recommended the forums to her. 

So! It seemed a little silly for me to not do something that I very clearly love that does not take up terribly much of my time. 

The premise of my story arc for this challenge has to do with the lovely zombie game that I played with Eskcanta the last time that I did this. Basically, I am running this story like it is part of the zombie apocalypse. The new year started off in your standard biological warfare setting and the virus has spread throughout the area. The various challenges and goals will all be framed through this lens and will have a surviving the outbreak feeling. 

I am taking a brief step away from the standard high fantasy writing that I did in Phoenix Ascendant, though rest assured! I may post some fun stuff for my badass Dwarven Cleric/Adventurer self. It will just be bonus content.

And now! The goals: 

Fitness Goal: Persistence Predator: Walk for 30 minutes every day

I recently took a look at the ol' phone-based pedometer and found out that I do not do anything that even remotely resembles walking. Being outside in the sunshine makes me feel good, plus actually walking around really makes you feel like you accomplished something. (Even if that something is walking down your block and then walking back.) 

PASS:

A: All week (7 days)

B: 5x-6x per week

C: 3x-4x per week

D: 1x-2x per week

FAIL: No walking whatsoever. None. Zilch. Nada

Lifestyle Goal: People = meaty water bottles: drink 32 oz water daily

Okay, so water consumption is a big deal for me. When I stopped working in the office (which was both good and bad. My hair stopped falling out though! Yay me?) I stopped drinking as much water because I stopped drinking water when I was bored. So, I find that I spend my day in a near constant state of dehydrated. I gotta be nice to my innards. 

PASS:

A: Drink 32 oz water per day

B: Drink 31-24 oz per day

C: Drink 23-16 oz per day

D: Drink 15-1 oz per day

FAIL: Jeez, did you even drink water today? No water is a complete fail

Lifestyle Goal: Better than brains: Cook 4 meals at home per week

Has anyone been going through their budget before and found that they spend insane amounts of money on eating out? I do. Well, I did. I don't anymore because I'm a liiiiiittle broke right now. My at-home cooking has consisted of frozen pizzas and pudding (so... so much pudding o_o). Do you know how many calories are in an entire box of pudding? Do you know how easy it is to eat an entire box of pudding? In order to survive my brokeness with my waistline intact, I've concluded I want to start cooking. 

PASS:

A: Cook 4 meals at home per week

B: Cook 3 meals at home per week

C: Cook 2 meals at home per week

D: Cook 1 meal at home per week

FAIL: No meals at home? Seriously? Not even a frozen pizza?

caveat: If I am making a pre-made meal (like a microwave dinner or a frozen pizza) that counts as 1/4th of a meal. It fulfills the actual letter of the challenge, but not the spirit of the challenge. 

Personal Development Goal: Survivor Story: Journal every night

There is a lot of therapeudic benefit to journalling. It helps you get your feelings out and sometimes you need to work through what you are thinking and feeling on paper. While this is great and allows me to talk to my friends, there is also a benefit to having something personal that is just for yourself. I have so many cool journals that I love that I would love to actually get some use out of. So hopeful to actually get down to the business of writing and processing. 

PASS:

A: All week (7 days)

B: 5x-6x per week

C: 3x-4x per week

D: 1x-2x per week

FAIL: Not a single entry this week, sadness. 

REWARD SYSTEM: 

Just like in school, we are grading this on the 4.0 system. No challenge has more weight than the other, so we are going to be working on the cumulative GPA on this. I'm also going to give myself a stat upgrade at the end of this challenge, but the upgrade will be listed later because I don't know what will be worth what. 

4.00: CONGRATS! You busted tail and can now go buy the big fancy FitBit you had your eye since the room mate got one. Equivalent to $100. 

3.50-3.99: Cash reward of $75 bucks to do with as you see fit. Maaaaybe put it away for vacation? Maybe buy some more books? Who knows what you can do, but it's  aaaall yours

3.49-3.00: Cash reward of $60 bucks to do with as you see fit. 

2.99-2.50: Okay homegirl, you tried. Cash reward of $50 to do with as you see fit.

2.49-2.00: You gave it a good try! Cash reward of $30 + $20 of fancy food items

1.99-1.00: Just the $20 in fancy food items. You tried a little, but you really didn't give it a good faith effort. 

0.99-0.00: You... uh... get a ribbon for participation?

• Like 3

-S t a r . R u b y -

"I AM AN ETERNAL FLAME, BABY!"

heatherallyse

str: 1, dex: 1, sta: 1, con: 3.5, wis: 3.0, cha: 1.5

Challenge Chapter I : Exit, Blerch : Chapter II : Enter, Self : Chapter III : Phoenix Ascendant 

Challenge Zombie Arc: 2016 - Infected : Infected, Part II : Typhoid Ruby (Infected, pt II continued)

Hey, look! It's the completely awesome Battle Log I keep neglecting!

Awesome challenge!

For me, drinking only water was really difficult as I was addicted to mio (liquid water flavors) and had actually convinced myself that those were good for me as I was still drinking water. I broke that habit pretty quickly and actually enjoy just plain water now, but if you really need some flavor, I'd suggest putting fruit in water. 

Anyway, can't wait to read what happens next! 

• Like 1

Weight Loss. 195lbs -> 135lbs (60lbs target loss)

0%
0%
@SomeGuyFromScotland - Thank yoooou! I can't wait to get to your thread and see how you did today. Knock it out of the park!

@Sylvaa - I feel both loved and menaced by that threat, LOL! Anyway, iut is super crazy how much we spend on eating out. I had not looked into batch cooking, but I did do a little quick googling and I think it is something that could really help me out. I think I like the portion control aspect of this, which is good. I only know how to cook for an army, so my portions are a liiiiiiittle skewed. 

@WritingWeaver - Sometimes, I throw cucumbers in the water when I want to feel fancy. I can't quite taste a lot of the flavor, but it does make it feel... crisp? I don't know. Cucumbery. It tastes cucumbery. 

I'm going out for my walk soon, but! as a brief update- 

Waiting for my phone to charge so I can rock out to some music while I walk. Tempted to go in on a Spotify premium account but I juuuuuust can't convince myself to spend the money so I can listen to songs in whatever order I want. So, headphones go in and walking time is drawing nigh. WALK ON!

16 oz down and 16 more to go! I forgot that I hadn't had anything to drink all day that wasn't carbonated or orange juice, and as it turns out I was pretty thirsty. I got this thing in the bag. 16 more ounces before bed time? No sweat!

Lifestyle Goal: Better than brains: Cook 4 meals at home per week

Didn't happen today. I didn't really eat much but I haven't been awake for terribly long? Anyway, I've got a few more changes to make an A on this part of the challenge. I've got lettuce in the fridge so tomorrow my house might be salad central. 

Personal Development Goal: Survivor Story: Journal every night

I journalled! Well, I wrote last night going into this morning. I look forward to writing tonight, too. As it turns out, I have a lot of feels. All of the feels. 

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

Challenge Chapter I : Exit, Blerch : Chapter II : Enter, Self : Chapter III : Phoenix Ascendant 

Challenge Zombie Arc: 2016 - Infected : Infected, Part II : Typhoid Ruby (Infected, pt II continued)

good luck!

Level: 15 Race: Human Class: Adventurer (Sailor Senshi/Aes Sedai)

STR: 14    DEX: 12    STA: 16   CON: 28   WIS: 26    CHA: 15 

(unspent points: 6? challenges worth)

Weight Loss Progress (SW 12/5/15 272)

Mini-Goal: Get back down to my low 152.2 - SW 6/1/17 170.4 - CW 6/10/17: 166.6

regained the last few months - back on track losing in June

My Battle Log|My NF Character Sheet

Challenges:

1/16-2/16-3/16-4/16-5/16-6/16-7/16-8/16-9/16-11/16-12/16-1/17-2/17-

Second entry:

I live outside of an airforce base. When I was little, I remember my mother telling me that we lived close enough to the base that, if a nuke ever dropped, we would be incinerated immediately because we were at ground zero. I guess I was a morbid kid because I thought that was pretty comforting. I moved back to my home town after college and a brief stint of couch surfing across the state. 

It was weird, once the city started crawling with zombies I thought that the national guard would show up. The gates to the base locked up soon enough, highways were congested with cars.

Then carwrecks. 

Then abandoned vehicles. 

People decided it was easier to walk than it was to deal with the gridlock. It was all standard fare for a zombie story, I guess, except I guess I make a pretty crappy hero if I'm getting bitten in the first chapter, right? No heroic tale, no great big sacrifice. No, I got bit because I was headed to a freaking McDonald's. 

People raided the grocery stores pretty early on. The only things that I could find when I snuck through were K-cups and dishwashing detergent. I figured the McDonald's was a pretty safe haven, on account of that rumor that a hamburger from there doesn't rot for twenty years. Urban legend, sure, but I figured it was worth a shot. Whatever crazy meat paste they used for McNuggets must have been able to survive the apocalypse, right?

Apparently, I wasn't the only person with the idea. I came across a couple other survivors- a couple of guys from the apartment complex nearby. I don't remember their names, I don't think I remembered to ask. There was enough food to share, I figured, so we headed back to the freezer. The two of them wouldn't quit talking- something about quarantine zones as far as the next town over- and their yammering made it a little hard for me to hear the  groan from inside the walk in. 

I opened the door, and was immediately accosted by the night manager of the restaurant. I won't go into the details of what she looked like, but lemme just say- she resembled some of the raw incredients of a quarter pounder. I thought she was going for my throat, and I managed to push her away enough that her teeth just sunk into my shoulder. It should have taken a chunk out of me- I watched an episode of Deadliest Warrior that said a zombie bite was about like being bitten by a rottweiler. They weren't kidding. 

Except...

There wasn't ripping. There wasn't tearing. There wasn't anything like that. The night manager bit me like a displeased toddler would. Yeah, a displeased toddler that drew blood and made me feel pretty dang dizzy, but a toddler none the less. Once my blood hit her tongue the zombie shrieked.

She backed away. 

Chased the other two guys out of the McDonald's. I didn't stick around to see what happened, I guess I should have, but I didn't. Even if I figured I was doomed from the bite, I didn't want to bleed out in a McDonald's. I went home. It takes seven days for the virus to really take hold. Seven days before you're gone and it takes over. Seven days until you're just another one of the walking dead. 

There was just one thing I couldn't figure out- why didn't she eat me? I'm not fast. I'm not particularly strong. I'm not super endurance woman over here, I'm just... me. So why did that zombie shriek like my blood was battery acid?

Anyway, I knew I couldn't stay at home for long. If I was going to turn into a zombie, I wasn't going to do it moping around my hometown. I grabbed my journal and whatever I could fit in my bag- food, water, whatevers. I started moving. I needed to find a new shelter, maybe a group of other recently-infected to run with. 

I guess that catches us up, for the most part. 

--------------

UPDATE:

The room mate went and walked with me! We moved around the Best Buy and the Target for about an hour and a half, so I figure we did an actual 30-45 minutes worth of walking. 

Water, ACHIEVED!

Today's scores:

Fitness Goal: Persistence Predator: A

Lifestyle Goal: People = meaty water bottles: A

Lifestyle Goal: Better than brains: No meal Monday. 0/7

Personal Development Goal: Survivor Story: A
  • Like 2

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

I am also digging the story. 

Glad to see you are keeping up with the walking and water!

I also understand cooking for an army (to be fair, I HAVE an army - of teenagers!). As soon as I find them, I'll be tagging people who batch cook here on the forums. If nothing else, you might get some normal ideas for food.

Hey lovelies! 

So, I got up this morning and my alternator doesn't work in the car I'm borrowing. Sad times abound, so I am carless and will get to get by on the kindness of my room mate and the dubious and largely useless public transit system in Oklahoma City. I'm sure I actually did walk around for thirty minutes at some point, but I didn't devote the actual time that I would have liked. 

I did, however, actually drink my water on time instead of chugging it right at the wire. 

I went to my room mate's parents' house and we played card games (Hand and Foot- which is actually stupidly fun if you want to learn to play. It requires multiple decks of playing cards, though, so be aware.) Her mom cooked us a pretty awesome dinner, and it was good times to be had by all. 

I am a super sleepy panda, so I am posting my scores for today and crawling into bed. I was up stupidly late last night, so I'm gonna watch Markiplier play video games and get into bed before midnight. I'm gonna try and write a little bit more of the story, and will post it ASAP. 

Today's scores:
Fitness Goal: Persistence Predator: missed today, sorry lovelies. 1/7
Lifestyle Goal: Better than brains: No meal Tuesday- it's a little complicated, though, because I didn't eat out for dinner. Somebody else actually cooked dinner because I went to their house. Asparagus and chicken casserole- don't knock it 'til you tried it. 0/7
  • Like 2

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

Taking hiccups in your stride is a worthwhile ZombieApocalypse skill in my books, now you've got more information to better shape tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entry: 01/05/2016

I borrowed my neighbor's car. She has a minivan- well, she had a minivan, she was zombie food pretty dang quick on account of a bad knee slowing her down. I can't say that I really knew her that well, only that I don't feel terribly bad going into a dead person's house and taking their car keys. 

The potential collapse of society kind of brings out my inner asshole. 

I would say that this is going to bite me in the ass later, but I figure I'll be the one doing the ass-biting in about six days. Anyway, I'll keep writing later. I'm going to see if the mom-wagon can get me to the edge of town via city streets. 

----

I turn the key in the ignition, hearing the car roar to life as only a minivan with a bad muffler can. I take a quick look to the radio dial. She's got satelite radio- Ms. McKinney always had those irritating political banners out in her front yard every time there was some election. It didn't even matter whose it was; Ms. McKinney didn't pick a political affiliation. I just sort of figure that she collected the things because she thought they were cool or whatever. 

I used to see four different news papers lined up outside of her front door- New York Times. Washington Post. Wallstreet Journal. USA Today. Didn't matter what it was, she read it. Or lined a bird cage with it; what a woman does with her own newspapers is her business. My stomach sinks as I reach to dial through her presets. It's more intimate than I would like; I'm stealing this poor dead woman's car and now I'm pawing through her music library. Except it isn't a music library, it's a list of talk radio shows. 

Maybe they'll say how bad it is, I think to myself. 

The hum of the idling engine draws the concern of a few undead members of the local Elks lodge. They shamble my way and although they aren't fast like the McDonald's night manager was I have a good feeling that they could impede the escape of a moving minivan. I pull out of her driveway and start my way around the neighborhood. I wanted to see if the national news was covering this, if anyone knew what was happening. We were only a week and some change into this, surely the entire country can't go to crap in under two weeks. 

CNN was playing soundbites about how Nancy Grace was angry about 'Making a Murderer' on Netflix. 

"So, Nancy, um, why- what part of the car story doesn't wash-"

I changed the station. 

"It doesn't take a brain-erm- rocket scientist to look at what's happening America right now and see that people are very, very angry," says an ever-so-falsely-irritated young man. 

"No shit," I tell him (this is why I don't listen to talk radio, I'm one of those irritating people that replies to prerecorded messages.) "I'm kinda pissed too."

"We see it in our political campaigns, we see it in our protest movements, and we see it in those once-in-a-generation conversations we're having-"

"No, really? I thought the baby boomers had to kill zombies uphill both ways to get to school," I grumble. 

"About race and gender and national identity. So we got together with NBC news and put together a survey about how angry Americans actually-"

I went through six different satellite presets, and not one of the national news stations were saying anything.

All the local stations were playing was static. 

• Like 2

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

True facts: in the last zombie post I made, I actually went and found soundbites from Sirius radio and used them to recreate the dialogue happening. (with the exception, of course, of the parts about baby boomers and zombies. I know you guys didn't actually have to kill zombies up hill both ways to go to school... even if that would have been seriously cool. I'd like to be known as a member of Generation Zombie Slayer.) 

• Like 1

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

All the local stations were playing was static.

Chills :)

• Like 1
An update!

Hello, lovelies. I fell off the face of the planet briefly, partially because busy and partially because headache. Not a figurative headache, either, but a literal headache that I wasn't sure if it was a migraine but light was painful and sound sucked and- 

okay. It was prooooobably a migraine. So! Let's give you all the run down, shall we?

SCORES FROM 01/06/2016

Fitness Goal: Persistence Predator: Guess who walked an HOUR around the grocery store? This chick! 2/7

Lifestyle Goal: Better than brains: We ate at home today, go me! 1/7

SCORES FROM 01/07/2016

Fitness Goal: Persistence Predator: Ehhhhh, not so much with the walking today. I went and saw Star Wars with the room mate and then promptly went to bed because headache won the day. 2/7

Lifestyle Goal: Better than brains: Another meal at home! 2/7

SCORES FROM 01/08/2016

Fitness Goal: Persistence Predator: I was a lazy. As it turns out, this challenge is harder than I had anticipated. I'm not actually getting out and moving like I thought I would. This week is really showing me that I have to build a walk into my day and not go "Eh, I'll walk whenever I have time." 2/7

Lifestyle Goal: People = meaty water bottles: Ehhhhh, not so much today. C

Lifestyle Goal: Better than brains: I ate breakfast? But breakfast consisted of cereal and some orange juice. I'm gonna call this good, since it wasn't a frozen meal but I really need to bring my A game. 3/7

AS FOR THE STORY...

I spent most of today giving reviews of poetry for a friend who teaches creative writing to high school students. I exhausted my brain trying to give constructive criticism that wouldn't crush someone. The kiddos are doing good, though! I'm finding that the students' quality of writing is good enough that anything I was doing really felt like nitpicking. Overall, satisfying... but it did take a lot out of me and has me in poetryville and not zombieland. 

• Like 3

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

Good to see you back :)

• Like 1
Hello, lovelies!

I drank a glass of water to start the day off and then spent the rest of the morning/afternoon lazing about in bed desperately trying to avoid the outdoors because it has snowed and, while I would love to go outside and walk, it's cooooooold and I don't waaaaaannaaaaaaaaa. 

I really need to figure out an appropriate substition for being outside since I'm sans-car and can't get to a place to walk indoors without walking a lot outdoors. 

It's super lame. Really, I could just woman up and brave the cold but, again, it's cold and I don't wanna. 

• Like 2

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

How are you going friend? Not fallen to the bite I hope?

*slinks back*

I haven't forgotten you!

Here's a brief info drop from the last time I checked in: 

SCORES FROM 01/09/2016

Fitness Goal: Persistence Predator: Walky walky! 3/7

Lifestyle Goal: Better than brains: I had breakfast? I think that counts 4/7

Personal Development Goal: Survivor Story: F, oops. 

TOTALS FROM THE WEEK

(adjusting based on 6 days and not 7 because Iiiiii want to start my weeks on Sunday)

LAST WEEK's GRADE: 81% total success rate

Fitness Goal: Persistence Predator: 50% completion

Lifestyle Goal: People = meaty water bottles: 91% completion

Lifestyle Goal: Better than brains: 4 meals completed: 100% completion

Personal Development Goal: Survivor Story: 83% completion

Thoughts:

Last week, I spent a lot of time focusing on getting the basic stuff done. Yeah, I remembered water (usually). What I'm finding is that a lot of my sleeping habits are actually impacting my ability to finish the challenges in a coherent and feasible fashion. I've been waking up between 3:00 PM and 6:00 PM every day (not good) and going to bed around 2:00 AM or 3:00 AM. I know why this is happening, so I need to really improve my sleep hygiene because right now? My sleep hygiene is pretty dang nasty. It is the equivalent of the perpetually smelly kid from 3rd grade. 

Not bueno. SO! There might be an addition to this challenge that will really get me up and moving. I'll try to check in more because, when I'm checking in, I get happy little positivity boosts (like more people reading my stuff, which makes me a happy camper.) 

Anyway! I'm gonna work on my post getting into the rest of this week and (hopefully!) add another installment to the story. I showed the girlfriend and was informed that, if I did not finish writing this story, that she would break up with me. And would not resume dating me until the story was complete. I laughed, but I figure I should actually finish a project I start. 

ONWARD! TO WEEK TWO!
  • Like 1

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

SCORES FROM 01/10/2016
Fitness Goal: Persistence Predator: I believe that I was a lump of lump-ness that day. F
Lifestyle Goal: People = meaty water bottles: C
Lifestyle Goal: Better than brains: SANDWICHES! YEAH SANDWICHES! 1/7

SCORES FROM 01/11/2016
Fitness Goal: Persistence Predator: We went to PetsMart (PetSmart?), the pet store. Picked up hay for the guinea pig and walked around for thirty minutes because the room mate and I needed time off our collective butts: A
Lifestyle Goal: People = meaty water bottles: THREE GIANT GLASSES OF WATER AT WAFFLE HOUSE: A
Lifestyle Goal: Better than brains: Oatmeal happened. It isn't a good home cooked meal, but I didn't eat out for breakfast: 2/7

SCORES FROM 01/12/2016 (AKA: the day I did nothing)
Fitness Goal: Persistence Predator: Noooothiiiiing. I didn't even try. :( F
Lifestyle Goal: People = meaty water bottles: I had a glass of water before bed with medicine. D
Lifestyle Goal: Better than brains: Mwahahaha! I did eat oatmeal, though. Oatmeal, you are saving my day. 3/7
Personal Development Goal: Survivor Story: Actually wrote a pretty positive entry, too! A

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

AND FINALLY WE ARE AT TODAY! TODAY IS HAPPENING!

Fitness Goal: Persistence Predator:

Again, it was one of those days that I didn't wake up for awhile so I actually missed the sunshiney part of the day. When I miss sunshine, I miss walking around time. That is also part of the issue. So, there wasn't any big walking today, but the amount that I have walked (15 minutes here, 10 minutes there) has added up to 30 minutes of walking. I would like to actually go out and get on the trails since we have a pretty nice little four mile path in one of the parks. Halfway through it there is a mountain biking trail, which would be great for some off road exploration. 

Lifestyle Goal: People = meaty water bottles:

Did you know that they make flavored water? It's carbonated flavored water that has, like, nothing in it. No sugars, to sodium, just... water. All I can figure is that it must be sweetened and flavored with things that have no caloric value, so I don't quite know what to call it. It's this stuff: 

e468ecd82b619b7babc26d98cda10de2.jpg

Can you guys weigh in on what you think? Is this stuff water or is it considered a non-water beverage? I have no idea what it is because it's delicious and isn't quite like those additives you can put in water. I know Perrier is still water, and I drink the ever loving crap out of that. It's pretty much the best stuff ever (because guess who loves mineral water?)

With this stuff being water, I've met my goal. Without it? I'm still 16oz behind

Lifestyle Goal: Better than brains:

Guess what I ate today?

No, it wasn't oatmeal. It was meatloaf! I actually made a sit down delicious dinner tonight! This was what I was wanting to do when I started this challenge. Yeah, I've eeked by on some technicalities this last week and a half, but this? This is where it gets good. I made a meatloaf and (even with hearty portions) we had a pretty good dinner tonight and will have a pretty dang fantastic lunch tomorrow. Meatloaf + fresh green beans. Good times! 4/7

Personal Development Goal: Survivor Story: I haven't written my journal for today. I usually write in it before I go to bed, so I will update this thread when I finish the entry tonight. 

SCORES FROM 01/13/2016 as of 10:30 PM

Fitness Goal: Persistence Predator: I tried, but I didn't really do a full 30 minutes. Half credit: C

Lifestyle Goal: People = meaty water bottles: A (with the Clear American) or a C (without) 

Lifestyle Goal: Better than brains: Meatloaf tiiiiiime! 4/7

Personal Development Goal: Survivor Story: Pending an update tonight

• Like 3

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

"Shit." 

I could have said a number of things that were more vulgar, but the droll of static across the speakers was enough to be a drain on my nerves and a drain on ny ire I could really feel at that point. I wanted to be angry. I wanted to curse and scream and throw things and talk about how unfair all of this is, as though the end of the world had personally offended me... but I couldn't. I can't. It just feels selfish. I'm beyond saving in, what, six days? Five? Something about that static on the local channels made me think. 

My inner conspiracy theorist seethed. It didn't have too much time to seethe, though, because soon enough the sound of someone screaming hit my ears. 

Now, I'm not above stealing someone's car who is already dead. That is just economical, it isn't like they're going to need it once they've shuffled off this mortal coil. What I can't abide by, though, is hearing people when they are in need and not doing anything about it. I've heard a lot of screaming since this all started, and some part of me has gotten good at differentiating between the sounds. When someone is scared, it sounds different than when they are in pain. I've become a voracious consumer of sound. 

If this person wasn't in pain, but they were going to be in a bit. 

"Dang it," I muttered as I shut off the van. I hastily felt around in the back seat before finding a tire iron. I piled my uneasy self out of the car and followed the sound towards the backyard. With the back gate open, I barreled inside with tire iron in hand. It was a neat, manicured little yard with a tree house and a tire swing and a sand box. If it weren't for the fact that two zombies were trying to yank some teenager out of the tree I'd say it was downright quaint. 

I took a charge at one of the zombies, swinging the tire iron hard at the head of the convenience store worker that was working on getting his dinner. I swung again and again, each time making a sickening crack against his skull until, finally, there was enough damage that he could no longer stand. 

It was loud, violent, and bloody. 

I took a second to look at the remaining threat- an old man wearing a bathrobe and missing an arm. He stood at the base of the tree, clawing for the young survivor with his remaining good limb. I was invisible to him. The other hadn't even turned around when I started pounding his skull in. 

"Why isn't it attacking you?!" the girl asked in a terrified voice. 

"Don't know," I readied the tire iron for another swing, "and I don't care."

The creature's head made a sickening crunch once the swing connected with its head. This was going to be a long day.
  • Like 1

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

Note to self (and others): don't read heather's zombie story when you're walking home by yourself in the dark, lest you screech like a wounded banshee when a nice old man putting out his garbage says hello

• Like 2