[SaffronTurtle] Goes Cold Turkey

SaffronTurtle

Hello everyone! Looking forward to another challenge with the crazy, wonderful guild that is the Assassins. Without further ado, mah challenge!

Epic Quest

Master my body and mind.

Quest 1 - Hydration

Drink a bottle of water first thing every morning. Bonus if it has lemon juice or apple cider vinegar in it. I don’t think this one will present too much difficulty; I’ll just have to remember to prep the night before. I’m saving what willpower I have for my other more difficult challenges.

Quest 2 – Maintain Exercise Habit

For the last 4 months, I have been working at this habit and I am quite happy with my progress (: I’ve got to say, being able to do casual pullups make me feel freakin’ badass. My workouts look like this currently, I will be upping it again tomorrow. I can’t wait to move onto harder exercises!

3 sets of:

LEGS    11 deep squats

PUSH   11 knee pushups

PULL    3 pullups & 8 negatives

CORE   55 second plank

Quest 3 – Cold Turkey Diet Change

Rules are simple.

1.     No lollies.

2.     No pizza.

3.     No chips.

4.     No ice cream.

Ah. Yes. Not a gradual shift in the right direction this one. I’m trying something new this challenge, it might not be successful but I will give it my best shot. I tried weaning off sugar last challenge and lo and behold I failed. A lot. Hence experimentation.

Life Quest – Gratitude Journal

This is the first step towards the mastering my mind part of my Epic Quest. Each night I will write down 3 things that I am grateful for in a journal. Although not officially part of my quest this will also give me an opportunity to improve my handwriting, I’ve always been a sucker for pretty fonts and I’d like to try mimic this:

a_left_handed_student_wrote_this_with_he

SO PRETTY.  

Measuring/tracking for this challenge will be as follows: Goals will be a SUCCESS if I did the things or a FAIL if I didn't.

A       28 successful days

B      > 25 successful days

C      > 21 successful days

E      (EPIC FAIL) <14 successful days

Fun Fact: As I was writing this my brother offered me a snickers bar. *whimpers* And so the challenge begins.

• Like 2

SaffronTurtle

Level 4 Bosmer Assassin

I | II | III | IV

*insert inspiration and witty quote here*

WEEK 1 SUMMARY

Quest 1 - Hydration                         7/7   
 Quest 2 - Maintain Exercise Habit      2/3   
 Quest 3 - Cold Turkey Diet Change    5/7   
 Life Quest - Gratitude Journal           7/7   

WEEK 2 SUMMARY

Quest 2 - Maintain Exercise Habit      3/3   
 Quest 3 - Cold Turkey Diet Change    5/7   

WEEK 3 SUMMARY

Quest 2 - Maintain Exercise Habit      4/4   
 Quest 3 - Cold Turkey Diet Change    7/7  

WEEK 4 SUMMARY

Quest 2 - Maintain Exercise Habit      3/3
 Quest 3 - Cold Turkey Diet Change    6/6  

CHALLENGE SUMMARY

Quest 1 - Hydration                        28/28          A 
 Quest 2 - Maintain Exercise Habit      12/13         B
 Quest 3 - Cold Turkey Diet Change    23/27         B
 Life Quest - Gratitude Journal           28/28         A

Which reminds me I didn't make any stats for this challenge...Oh well. Next time. They're not in my signature anyways.

I think I managed to do a good job this challenge, it was difficult because I was trying to establish 3 goals while experimenting with going cold turkey on removing bad foods. Probably a bad idea. Definitely a bad idea. But, I did learn things from it. 

1. I need some form of sugar to wean me off from what I normally have. Hence, I have made some paleo coconut chocolate fudge for when I really need a fix. 

2. Most or all of my successful habits, ie. the ones that have lasted for longer than the challenge I started them in, began as placeholders.  Like doing only 5x reps and building from there when I started exercising. So while I really want results now I have to be patient and simplify the habits to their most basic basic form. 

3. It is ok to adjust habits if things change or they are not well written/thought out.

4. Planning my meals is a big issue, not knowing what I am going to eat and trying to make sure I have the ingredients is important and something I have to work on. I need recipes, a shopping list and a plan.

5. In future, if I skip a day it's still a pass if I don't miss the next day. If I skip and make up for it the next day twice or more I start losing points.

I'm going to finish up my next challenge and start a new thread today (I didn't realise we didn't have a break between challenges, oops). Thank you for being so amazing and supportive this challenge, you guys are seriously the best. I look forward to stalking your threads next challenge!!

SaffronTurtle

Level 4 Bosmer Assassin

I | II | III | IV

Rules are simple.

1.     No lollies.

2.     No pizza.

3.     No chips.

4.     No ice cream.

Ah. Yes. Not a gradual shift in the right direction this one. I’m trying something new this challenge, it might not be successful but I will give it my best shot. I tried weaning off sugar last challenge and lo and behold I failed. A lot. Hence experimentation.

I like the specifics of your diet change.  Too often I see "eat less sugar" or something like that for a quest.  Eat less sugar if very subjective and hard to measure.  You listed specific items (probably your biggest weaknesses?) so if you eat them you fail, if you don't you pass.  I like focusing on specific items and then building from there.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Hello peelout! You were correct in your assumption that these foods are my cryptonite ;) If I can make it my new normal to not eat these guys I will be well on my way to where I want to be. It's day three and it's already challenging my self-control, but every time that I get the urge to eat some and I don't, I do a happy dance of success. Woo! Thanks for dropping by!

• Like 2

SaffronTurtle

Level 4 Bosmer Assassin

I | II | III | IV

[DAY 1] January 4th

Quest 1 - Hydration                         Success

Quest 2 - Maintain Exercise Habit      N/A

Quest 3 - Cold Turkey Diet Change    Success

Life Quest - Gratitude Journal           Success

[DAY 2] January 5th

Quest 1 - Hydration                         Success

Quest 2 - Maintain Exercise Habit      Success

[DAY 3] January 6th

Quest 2 - Maintain Exercise Habit      N/A

[DAY 4] January 7th

Quest 3 - Cold Turkey Diet Change    FAIL

Ahem. So apart from an unexpected work function which required I eat pizza and soft drink I think I've done pretty damn good so far! I will try to update daily instead of dreaded clumps like this :)

EDITED: Because *grumble grumble* Nerd Fitness didn't like my table format.

• Like 3

SaffronTurtle

Level 4 Bosmer Assassin

I | II | III | IV

I will try to update daily instead of dreaded clumps like this :)

I like the clumps.  Looking at a summary shows how you did over an extended time.  When its one at a time, you can fail everyother day bit it doesn't stand out like it does in a clump.

Oops. Lollies are candies and sweets, aka death by sugar! That's what we call them in Australia. What are they called where you come from?

In America, we call candies and sweets ... candy and sweets.  Australians have cool names for a lot of things.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

[DAY 5] January 8th
 Life Quest - Gratitude Journal            Success

Today (well yesterday really) went rather well. I spent most of the day learning Latin, I really want to get in some time before uni starts and I get super busy. I've got about a month left and I'm really missing the routine and the people. Not the stress though. Double edged sword that.

• Like 1

SaffronTurtle

Level 4 Bosmer Assassin

I | II | III | IV

Love the challenge and goals! I like how they are success or failures so it takes that wiggle room out of it. It's also perfectly placed a month out from you going back to uni so you can (hopefully) cement those habits before heading back into stressville. 

Just curious - coming from an ignorant American, when does uni end for you guys? We usually start right about now and have the semester end during the end of April or early May, how does it work in Australia?

• Like 2

Fallaces sunt rerum species et hominum spes fallunt.

Just curious - coming from an ignorant American, when does uni end for you guys? We usually start right about now and have the semester end during the end of April or early May, how does it work in Australia?

Hello! Do you study? For us in Australia, Semester 1 begins late February and ends late June with a 1 week mid-semester break halfway in the middle. Between semesters we have a month off then Semester 2 starts late august and ends mid-November. But I guess that would also vary a bit between universities. 

Forgive my curiosity but I have always wanted to ask, what is it like to be an American university student? There is this big stereotype in movies conjuring up images of living off of noodles, beer-pong and fraternities, what is it really like?

SaffronTurtle

Level 4 Bosmer Assassin

I | II | III | IV

[DAY 6] January 9th
 Quest 2 - Maintain Exercise Habit      FAIL
 Quest 3 - Cold Turkey Diet Change    FAIL

[DAY 7] January 10th
 Quest 2 - Maintain Exercise Habit      Success (makeup for saturday, the whole, don't miss two days in a row)

[DAY 8] January 11th

I feel like I should explain Saturday, I failed ALOT, but tis ok. I woke up late and had to drive my Dad to my grandparents as my grandma just got out of hospital after a heart related emergency, I lunch while out before remembering I wasn't meant to be having sugar. I was going to do my exercises in the afternoon but I basically passed out as soon as I got home and didn't wake up until 10:30 that night. It is safe to say I was pretty drained. SO I made sure the next day was perfect to not screw up my habits too much. 

Tomorrow I have a super-early start, catching a 7:30 train into the city to volunteer at a book convention which means a 6:00 wake up if I want to exercise and get ready. That's a far cry from where I am now in fixing my sleep patterns, but I really don't want to miss another day. Hello caffeine, it's been a while. Finals was it? Yes. That sounds about right.

• Like 2

SaffronTurtle

Level 4 Bosmer Assassin

I | II | III | IV

Hello! Do you study? For us in Australia, Semester 1 begins late February and ends late June with a 1 week mid-semester break halfway in the middle. Between semesters we have a month off then Semester 2 starts late august and ends mid-November. But I guess that would also vary a bit between universities. 

Forgive my curiosity but I have always wanted to ask, what is it like to be an American university student? There is this big stereotype in movies conjuring up images of living off of noodles, beer-pong and fraternities, what is it really like?

I do! Well... I did - I just graduated in December. Thanks for clarifying! I'm fascinated by the ways different countries do things and think it's weird I don't know more. 

Never apologize for being curious! Are you kidding me? I love asking and answering questions!  

Okay - so the stereotypes are right *to a degree*. All of that - beer pong, frat parties, sororities, and yes, even ramen noodles are part of the culture. BUT only as much as you want to participate. I barely went to "ragers" and while I did play beer pong it was maybe once or twice and that's it. There is a lot more libraries, books, papers, and studying than any of the other stuff. I guess if you belong to a frat or sorority it might be different because you are exposed to more opportunities for parties, mixers, etc. 

I guess what I am trying to say is that it really depends - on the school, on the person, and on how dedicated to your studies you are. If you spend all your time partying, you'll likely fail your classes and get kicked out. 

On the other hand - living off of ramen noodles is probably pretty accurate. I was lucky and had living situations where I didn't have to worry about food, but because our college tuition is out of hand expensive, people try to save money by eating a lot of junk that is really cheap aka: ramen noodles. 

Hope that clarifies a bit! :)

• Like 2

A gratitude journal! How interesting! I might have to start doing something like this for myself, though more for the reason that I'll have a list of things that have made me happy in the past to look at when I'm feeling a bit depressed. Thanks for the idea!

• Like 1

Maeghaan | Assassin

EQ Level 2 | NF Level 4

I started a blog: The Cognitive Itch
"Even in these chains, you can't stop me"

Weight loss goal: Drop from 247 to 160

36%
36%

I do! Well... I did - I just graduated in December. Thanks for clarifying! I'm fascinated by the ways different countries do things and think it's weird I don't know more. 

Never apologize for being curious! Are you kidding me? I love asking and answering questions!  

Okay - so the stereotypes are right *to a degree*. All of that - beer pong, frat parties, sororities, and yes, even ramen noodles are part of the culture. BUT only as much as you want to participate. I barely went to "ragers" and while I did play beer pong it was maybe once or twice and that's it. There is a lot more libraries, books, papers, and studying than any of the other stuff. I guess if you belong to a frat or sorority it might be different because you are exposed to more opportunities for parties, mixers, etc. 

I guess what I am trying to say is that it really depends - on the school, on the person, and on how dedicated to your studies you are. If you spend all your time partying, you'll likely fail your classes and get kicked out. 

On the other hand - living off of ramen noodles is probably pretty accurate. I was lucky and had living situations where I didn't have to worry about food, but because our college tuition is out of hand expensive, people try to save money by eating a lot of junk that is really cheap aka: ramen noodles. 

Hope that clarifies a bit!  :)

It is similar in Australia, and in the rest of the world I suspect, that your experience depends on how much you participate, your financial situation, commitment to study, housing etc like you said. So interesting! 

giphy.gif

Do you have to pay for your courses upfront?

• Like 1

SaffronTurtle

Level 4 Bosmer Assassin

I | II | III | IV

A gratitude journal! How interesting! I might have to start doing something like this for myself, though more for the reason that I'll have a list of things that have made me happy in the past to look at when I'm feeling a bit depressed. Thanks for the idea!

Hey Maeghaan! One day I mean to do up this thing I had recommended to me where I wrote down all my achievements and strengths and proud moments so that I could refer to them whenever I'm feeling insecure. Even doing this gratitude journal makes me more aware of things I can be happy about! It's priceless really imo.

• Like 2

SaffronTurtle

Level 4 Bosmer Assassin

I | II | III | IV

[DAY 9] January 12th
 Quest 3 - Cold Turkey Diet Change    FAIL    (cookies at bookfest happened) 

[DAY 10] January 13th

Quest 3 - Cold Turkey Diet Change   Success

[DAY 11] January 14th

Quest 3 - Cold Turkey Diet Change    Success

Second day helping set up Bookfest, which is the charity book convention I was talking about, another super early start but I still managed to get up and exercise. Not my usual number of sets, because I knew I would be working out all day lifting heavy stacks of books around but still needed to maintain the habit.

Oh! I found a book I had been searching for for years! It has a retail price of $114.00 AUS and really difficult to find so I was blown away with surprise when I found a copy tucked away and for $12 and in really good condition. What a good find I say!

• Like 1

SaffronTurtle

Level 4 Bosmer Assassin

I | II | III | IV

The psychology behind gratitude journals is incredible. Actually writing down three things you are thankful for is almost as powerful as taking anti-depressants, which is just amazing to me. 

Here is a great video that explains it! Brian Sexton is a PhD from Duke and while it is geared towards the medical community, it is not very noticeable. 

https://www.midmichigan.org/quality-safety/3-good-things/ 

• Like 2

It is similar in Australia, and in the rest of the world I suspect, that your experience depends on how much you participate, your financial situation, commitment to study, housing etc like you said. So interesting! 

giphy.gif

Do you have to pay for your courses upfront?

Makes sense (love the gif!!). We do have to pay for them upfront. We have some support in that we can get loans (both private and from the government) that allow us to pay for it over time, but then we can end up paying twice the actual cost of the tuition due to the interest accrued. It would be better to pay upfront in cash but considering I had to pay $36,000 for ONE semester - yeah, that wasn't happening. 

• Like 2

The psychology behind gratitude journals is incredible. Actually writing down three things you are thankful for is almost as powerful as taking anti-depressants, which is just amazing to me. 

Here is a great video that explains it! Brian Sexton is a PhD from Duke and while it is geared towards the medical community, it is not very noticeable. 

https://www.midmichi...3-good-things/ 

I hadn't actually bothered to look extensively into the science of gratitude until now, it really is quite fascinating! I think I will have a look tomorrow to see if there are any TED talks on the topic.

Makes sense (love the gif!!). We do have to pay for them upfront. We have some support in that we can get loans (both private and from the government) that allow us to pay for it over time, but then we can end up paying twice the actual cost of the tuition due to the interest accrued. It would be better to pay upfront in cash but considering I had to pay $36,000 for ONE semester - yeah, that wasn't happening. 

Ouch, and I thought my uni tuition fees were bad. What course are you doing?

• Like 1

SaffronTurtle

Level 4 Bosmer Assassin

I | II | III | IV