Queen Alice Becomes a Rebel

QueenAlice

Today is here! The first day of my first challenge! 

I have a battle log, here, that I have started that I will post my day-to-day thoughts in. So if you are interested in that, head on over there. I'll be posting challenge relevant updates here :)

Main Quest: Lose 10 lbs

This main quest may take a few challenges to accomplish. I only have a little weight to lose and I am hoping to build some muscle along the way. 

SMART Quests:

1. 30 Active Minutes per Day
  2. Start morning with a healthy breakfast (can be a smoothie, eggs, etc), not just a cup of coffee
  3. Sub 8 minute mile

Level Up: Get into a solid groove for work/life balance now that I will be 100% working from home

This level up has a lot of elements to it. For this first challenge, I would like to work on getting up consistently on work days between 6-6:15 AM. This will give me 1-2 hours of me time in the morning to get ready for the day, including any new fitness activities I use to reach my 30 active minutes per day.

• Like 1
"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." 

-- Red Queen, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

Hey Alice,

nice to meet another newbie with the same goal (we can work this eating in the morning thing out somehow ;)  ).

Following and will try to support :)

My NF-Character: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58102

Introduction Or How I started, Challenges: 1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; RESPAWN  ; 8 ;

Member of the League of Epicness, Hellfire Club!

...would like to be a Nac Mac Feggle ;)

Thanks for the support!

Alright, my current plan is to update this on Sundays or Mondays with a summary of how my week went, what goals I hit/missed. I even made a super nerdy spreadsheet. Who doesn't love a good spread sheet... and graphs. Oooo, graphs...

I finally got on the scale on Monday (it took a bit of convincing and a pep talk). The scale is daunting after the holiday binge! I'm definitely at my heaviest weight, but it really isn't too bad. I'm at 134.0 lbs on the nose. To give a reference point, I was between 117-120 lbs in high school when I was SUPER active (cheerleading 10 months out of the year). I generally don't get too hung up on a specific number, I'm more interested in how my body feels and my clothes fit. So that's my starting point.

I've done well for the first few days of the challenge. I'll give a more detailed update this weekend. Hope everyone is doing great!

• Like 1
"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." 

And on the third day (yesterday), I timed my mile.

Holy cow, guys... I ALMOST died. Seriously. Starting stamina is definitely a -10.

So dramatic, right? What was my time? 9 minutes and 53 seconds. Not too bad, I think, but maybe a sub 8 minute mile is a bit ambitious in the next few weeks. Hopefully I'm wrong... What was bad was how bad I was hurting when I finished.

pdl1l8q.png

I also did a round of Define: Upper Body from PiYo yesterday. I liked that it was only ~18 minutes and I can definitely feel the muscles I used this morning.

Alright dudes. That's my mile time starting point. Lets crush this!

• Like 1

Congratulations on getting a mile done!  Remember that it doesn't matter where you start but where you finish.

• Like 1

"Destiny is important, see, but people go wrong when they think it controls them. It's the other way around." - Terry Pratchett

Lift: 1 of 24                                             Eat Right: 1 of 42                              Stay Sane: 1 of 42   

Really good that you mastered that mile. If I translated the mile to kilometers correctly I find your time quite good for a start. And you will become better really fast for sure :)

• Like 1

Introduction Or How I started, Challenges: 1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; RESPAWN  ; 8 ;

Thanks for the support, everyone! 

I was pretty sore yesterday, so I took it a little easier on the exercise side of things, but still managed to get my 30 active minutes in. On to today!

• Like 1

And on the third day (yesterday), I timed my mile.

Holy cow, guys... I ALMOST died. Seriously. Starting stamina is definitely a -10.

So dramatic, right? What was my time? 9 minutes and 53 seconds. Not too bad, I think, but maybe a sub 8 minute mile is a bit ambitious in the next few weeks. Hopefully I'm wrong... What was bad was how bad I was hurting when I finished.

Sub-9 by end of January might be a more reasonable goal (shaving off about 15 seconds per week)?  Then aim for sub-8 in February?

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

First Week Update!

oAcv5Fv.png

My tracking spreadsheet

This week I lost 0.8 lbs. Definitely on the right track! I think losing ~ 0.5 to 1 lb a week is realistic for me. I don't have much weight to lose and I'm hopefully putting on a bit of muscle. This one gets an A for this week!

SMART Quests:

1. 30 Active Minutes per Day - Check! 
  2. Start morning with a healthy breakfast (can be a smoothie, eggs, etc), not just a cup of coffee - Check!
  3. Sub 8 minute mile Improve mile time by 30-60 seconds - This one I'm going to slightly modify to sub 9 minute mile. I probably should have done a pretest before setting this goal. I think a better goal would be to "improve my mile time by between 30-60 seconds". So that's what I'm going to adjust this goal to.

Level Up: Get into a solid groove for work/life balance now that I will be 100% working from home: Wake up before 6:15 AM on weekdays - Check!

Week Progress Summary:

I'm going to give myself full credit for all my quests this week.

I hope everyone else had a great first week!!

• Like 2

Sub-9 by end of January might be a more reasonable goal (shaving off about 15 seconds per week)?  Then aim for sub-8 in February?

Thanks for this suggestion! I modified my quest to be a bit more realistic and used your guidelines.

• Like 1

I am down for the count right now. I woke up sick Tuesday morning and have just been miserable since. I still have managed to get up early and start my day as well as get my 30 active minutes, but yesterday healthy breakfast (healthy ANYTHING) completely went out the window. All I wanted was a PB&J for breakfast and then pizza for dinner. Hopefully I can kick this cold soon. Luckily I made a giant pot of chicken broth on Monday so I have been drinking a few cups of that each day.

On top of being sick, both David Bowie AND Alan Rickman died this week. Both were significant parts of my childhood/teen years :(

It's been a trying week, hopefully next week will be better. Hope everyone else is having a better week!

Week 2 (+ a few days) Update

A28Ji8K.png

My tracking spreadsheet

I'm down 1 lb so far, it's going to just be a slow steady thing I hope. I'm reasonably happy with this quest's progress.

SMART Quests:

1. 30 Active Minutes per Day Yeah... not so much. I've been sick for the past 8 or 9 days. Lame excuse I know, but I'm finally on the up and up, so I'm ready to turn this one around!
  2. Start morning with a healthy breakfast (can be a smoothie, eggs, etc), not just a cup of coffee - For the most part, Check! I was traveling on business and missed one morning. I still ate breakfast that morning, it just wasn't what I would describe as healthy.
  3. Sub 8 minute mile Improve mile time by 30-60 seconds - I haven't timed myself for the mile this week. I may be back to my original starting point because I couldn't run while I was sick. We shall see!

Level Up: Get into a solid groove for work/life balance now that I will be 100% working from home: Wake up before 6:15 AM on weekdays - Check!

Week Progress Summary:

This week was a bit rough because I was pretty sick. I still was able to hit most of my goals, so I'm going to give myself a pass but needs improvement. On to the next week!!

• Like 1

You rocked that week even though you were ill (which isn't just a excuse but should be taken seriously, especially when your doing sports) so congratulation on that :D

• Like 1

Challenge 1 Report Card

8rT5JsZ.png?1

My tracking spreadsheet

I lost 1.5 lbs during the challenge. I would have preferred at least 2 lbs, but I think this is good progress. I don't have much weight to lose, so it will be a long process.

SMART Quests:

1. 30 Active Minutes per Day I did OK here. I hit my 30+ minutes of activity ~58% of the time. This definitely needs improvement.
  2. Start morning with a healthy breakfast (can be a smoothie, eggs, etc), not just a cup of coffee - I rocked this quest.  I only missed one morning.
  3. Sub 8 minute mile Improve mile time by 30-60 seconds This quest fell entirely on its face. I got sick during the second week with what I thought was just a cold but turned out to be a respiratory infection. That does NOT pair well with running. I went for a run during week 3 and couldn't stop coughing for the rest of the day. I'm going to give myself an incomplete on this one and pick it up in a later challenge.

Level Up: Get into a solid groove for work/life balance now that I will be 100% working from home: Wake up before 6:15 AM on weekdays - This one I am super excited about. I got up before 6:15 EVERY weekday of the challenge! Every morning just gets easier and easier and I am settling into a bit of a morning routine which is what I was really looking to start with this level up quest. Huge success!

On to the next challenge, kids!

• Like 1