Firestorm Still Sparking!

naarasleijona

I'm not out for the count yet!

Lots of things learned from the last challenge.   I'm trying to mentally shift gears this time around.   This time, it's all about habit forming.

These are my goals for this challenge:

Fitness: Every morning - no matter how tired or whatever excuse, I've got to get dressed in my workout clothes.    This is all part of a habit building exercise for me.  Last challenge I used so many excuses for why I didn't want to exercise, and December basically fell completely apart.  I've realized that my perception of my life's responsibilities has me way stressed out, and exercise is usually one of the first things to go because it's both such a mental and physical effort. 

I'm taking this week by week, so this first week.  My only fitness goal is to wake up and get dressed like I'm going to exercise.  The idea is that will at least trigger something - even if it's just stretching.   This whole hiding in bed so that  I don't have to face the world isn't working for me because it just makes me feel even shittier.  I LIKE when I exercise.  I usually feel better physically and mentally during the day - if I can just get over that hump of convincing myself to get out of bed... my day is so much better.  So all my focus is going to be on this weak spot.  If I don't commit to anything else, it shouldn't be so hard.... right?  If I happen to start exercising - so much the better, but not required.  

So...Baby steps.  1. - get my ass out of bed in the morning, and show up for the party.

#2:  Diet: Eat like a human being.   Habit-wise, I think I have a pretty good handle on the breakfast and lunch thing, but I always fall apart after getting home from work.  My goal is to make a real meal when I get home from work (still sticking to the gluten free and vegan thing).  I want to break my habit of walking in the door and walking straight to the fridge to stuff my face.  I'm going to focus on walking in the door, and getting myself psyched up to make some really tasty, nutritious, healthy food.  The recipes will be simple to start - hell I might even make the same thing every night for a week if it makes it easier for me.  But the point  is that I'm trying to bypass the usual destructive habit I have when I arrive home.  

I'm not going to try to make something different each night, or lay out enough food to feed an army for Sunday brunch.  I just want to use my kitchen, use my tools, combine some good health ingredients....  Hell it doesn't even have to be a full meal - as long as I'm creating the habit of cooking food that doesn't come out of a package or straight from the fridge.  (Peanut butter scoops do not count as a meal ;) ).

I'm not going to count calories for this first week. We'll see how it goes for the following weeks. 

And that is all I really feel like putting on the table right now.  I've got my son's soccer season starting up this week, and this is my last semester of IT classes to get my certificate.  Essentially I'm going to be mentally and emotionally slammed for the next few months.  I've watched myself over the last challenges fall apart because I try to take on too much and make everything perfect.  This challenge is not about doing everything all the time - I need to restructure my foundations first.  

:)  R

• Like 2

I'm taking this week by week, so this first week.  My only fitness goal is to wake up and get dressed like I'm going to exercise.  The idea is that will at least trigger something - even if it's just stretching.   This whole hiding in bed so that  I don't have to face the world isn't working for me because it just makes me feel even shittier.  I LIKE when I exercise.  I usually feel better physically and mentally during the day - if I can just get over that hump of convincing myself to get out of bed... my day is so much better.  So all my focus is going to be on this weak spot.  If I don't commit to anything else, it shouldn't be so hard.... right?  If I happen to start exercising - so much the better, but not required. 

Build those habit foundations!  Working out every morning is quite ambitious, but if you stick to it I bet you'll succeed.  Your action plan is already miles ahead.  You got this!

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Well, I don't know if it's ironic, but the sure as hell is ridiculous. First day... Out of the gates. The morning went fine. I got dressed, even did a workout (not my best workout ever, but it was more than nothing).

Buuutttt. The afternoon threw me for a loop. My son has soccer practice tomorrow. The first one after a long break. He of course needs indoor shoes. I have no money because I spent everything for the holidays. Had to ask the hubby to pay for them. He did not want to pay higher prices at the local sports store (there is a point to this I swear). Long story shortened we ended up driving to a town 40 minutes away after work to save about $10. I didn't get home until 7:00 (after having to stop by the grocery store so the boys would have something for breakfast). ... I wasn't really hungry, but the LAST thing I wanted to do was anything remotely responsible once I got home. My emotional state was like a blister: sore , irritated, and needing to relieve some pressure.

Thank god for leftovers. I had made one of my favorite meals yesterday (spiced chickpea wraps), and had enough to heat up for dinner when I got home tonight.

Was the scenario ideal? Not to my standards. But I feel like I avoided the most of my emotional eating. I tried to concentrate on the fact that it was a healthy meal, as opposed to the grab and shove of my usual post-work routine. I sat down at the kitchen table, browsed a new cookbook while I ate. Who knows where the rest of my family was, but that is a challenge for another day. I even cleaned up the kitchen when I was done. I'm giving myself some kudos for moving in the right direction, at least. ;)

Given that something always seems to deviate from the plan, I'm contemplating doing some prep work for tomorrow's lunch and dinner. I figure that having as much as possible ready to go will help deal with that daunting feeling of having to start from the scratch when I'm the most tired.

The day is done. I'm happy with the results.... I'm calling it a good Monday :)

R

Awesomeness in the morning:

My son, who is 9 yrs old, has seen me working out in the mornings and running on the treadmill over the past few months.  Every now and again, he's been asking questions: why am I doing this? what exercises am I doing? etc.... He's got this thing for Captain America.  He's "small." He's going to be one of those guys with a very wiry build when he's older, and he's constantly asking how people get muscles.

Anyway, last night he asked me to wake him up when I got up.  He ran on the treadmill this morning (The little bugger could run for hours without losing his breath), and he did push-ups and planks.  The whole point of me writing about this is that it feels really good to be a source of motivation for my son.  My parents certainly never set any kind of example for me - I just fell into soccer and field hockey as a kid and really enjoyed it.  But to help my kids see that exercising is an important part of just -living.... that is really cool - and it inspires me to keep going.

:)  R

Ugh! Can a girl get a break?

As noted, the morning was great. I probably should have done something more vigorous, but I only did some stretching this morning. Last challenge, I became very aware that I was trying to be great at everything, and when things fell apart...so did I. If this challenge is about habits, I'm trying to keep my focus on that. I want to be the kind of person that starts their day with some kind of exercise or something physical. I don't want to even have to think about it. I want it to be just one of those things I do, like brushing my teeth, or checking my email. So right now it doesn't matter to me if I'm not maxing my potential. (The fact that I keep on having to tell myself that, shows me that it does irk me at least a bit, but I'm sticking to the plan this week).

Anywhoo, the afternoon was a disaster. I lost my work keys while out doing my errands for work, so instead of going home to make myself dinner, I spent an extra hour driving around town trying to locate my keys. I finally gave up, and two seconds later my son found them under the driver's seat! This kind of thing is so typical. My mornings are great, but something always happens in the afternoon that throws my plans to hell. I guess it makes sense in a way, I mean every other part of my day is pretty structured, so there is bound to be a time where everything else has to get squeezed in or addressed. I didn't plan on losing my keys, but I think it's symptomatic of my tendency to multitask (I was getting the mail, and talking on the phone at the same time....).

To add icing to the cake, I forgot my cookbook at work and had a moment of frozen panic as I saw my whole evening fall apart in my minds eye. BUT I regrouped rather quickly, and found my recipe on line. Made my dinner, and managed to clean up before we had to leave for soccer practice. So in the end, everything turned out just fine. There was just a lot of stress that wasn't necessary.

My son asked me today what a misadventure was. We decided that it's an adventure where everything goes wrong but it turns out o.k. in the end.

That word pretty much sums up the second half of my day. At least it wasn't boring! ;)

Yay another good day :).

My son was a bit upset this morning because he fell back asleep after his alarm went of. It threw him off of his plans for his workout, but I managed to calm him down and help him realize that he still had a lot of options. If there is anything I've learned over these challenges, it's that when things don't go your way or as planned, you make do, or find another way. It was pleasantly reaffirming to be able to share that with him. For myself, I managed to get dressed despite the cold, and even did a workout. I'm thinking about sleeping in my yoga pants tonight just so I don't have to go through the torture of putting on cold clothes.

I wasn't particularly hungry when I got home, but I made dinner after switching to the comfy clothes :). I've been noticing over the last few days (because I started cooking more even before the challenge started), that I'm not as ravenously hungry during certain parts of the day as I have been in the past. I don't know if it's because I'm less stressed, or if it's a difference of eating real food as opposed to packaged stuff. I'm curious to know if the trend is going to continue.

Dinner was o.k. A sweet potato fried rice. Not quite the flavor I was expecting because it certainly wasn't your typical fried rice from the Chinese takeout, sweeter and subtler than I would have chosen.... But still good.

So I'm already noticing some obstacles to the first part of my challenge.

1. Fatigue -  I stayed up until after midnight last night reading.  It was hard to put the book down, and I read until I was exhausted.  That means I got less than 5 hours of sleep and it definitely made things more difficult this morning.  There are other times where my brain just won't turn off.  I keep on thinking about things and situations and it keeps me tossing and turning far later into the night than when I go to bed.    Both are stress related issues.  I read to escape, and I have trouble mentally or emotionally letting go of things that are bothering me.   Haven't quite come up with a solution of how to deal with either of those yet, but at least I know it's happening.

2.  The frickin' cold!   Honestly, how to people live in Canada or Alaska?  I love being all cozy and under the blankets and watching the wind and snow blow through the trees outside my window, but I'm not a big fan of having cold feet and hands in the morning - especially when I'm getting dressed.  And I'm one of those people who is a walking ice-pack.  My hands take about and hour and a half to warm up in bed, and half a second to go into deep freeze as soon as I get up.  (I sleep with a down comforter and a wool blanket in July - even if it's 90 degrees out). My whole body tenses up when it's cold in the morning, and it isn't a sensation that I look forward to.  Cold fresh air is great! - if I have 5 layers of clothes on to keep me warm, but yeah, I'd rather skip the strip-down in frigid air.      I've thought about sleeping in my workout clothes.  They can be a bit restrictive though.  Maybe I can put them under my pillow? - or set a timer on a heat pad to start warming them up in the morning.  I think slippers for the cold bathroom floor are a must.  - yeah, I know - first world problems and all that.  I'm just trying to eliminate as many stupid excuses as I can.  I'm curious to know if a space heater would help.....

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be more than happy to listen.  (Moving some place warmer is logistically and financially prohibitive at the moment.  The idea has crossed my mind :) ).  

In the end:

Obstacles are not insurmountable, and I can learn to live with them.  I just want to beat them to a pulp with superior intellect and righteous fortitude before they get the better of me. ;)

:) R

• Like 1

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be more than happy to listen.  (Moving some place warmer is logistically and financially prohibitive at the moment.  The idea has crossed my mind :) ).  

In the end:

Obstacles are not insurmountable, and I can learn to live with them.  I just want to beat them to a pulp with superior intellect and righteous fortitude before they get the better of me. ;)

1.  Start reading earlier so that you're comfortable and in bed/sleep mode at a better time?

2.  All you can really do with regionalized cold is adapt.  Um, more sweaters?

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

I have a 9-year-old, too, but I'm too nervous to let her use the treadmill. Maybe I should.  :onthego:

Sounds like things are coming along. You have a really good attitude about things! *thumbs up*

When he first started doing it, I watched him like a hawk. He seems coordinated enough to handle it. It still makes me a little nervous, but he's shown that he can use it responsibly. Gotta let those little birds fly, right?

So I forgot that my son had what they call "community work" after school today. In terms of my challenge goal, that meant getting home two hours later than I had been hoping. Looking to the future, that means every Thursday night for the rest of the school year :{

I think I need to redefine my idea of a normal afternoon, and just plan on getting home at 7 instead of 5. It's the way things seem to be working out ;). At least, that's been the case for 3 out of 4 days so far.

It was kind of a mixed blessing. I happened to have recently brought my spinning wheel and some wool to the office in order to work with a colleague who will be teaching some of the kids at school. I haven't done any spinning in a while, so it was nice to be able to have nothing better to do than crank out some yarn :). If I work on it every Thursday, I should be able to eliminate another one of those unfinished projects that have been hanging over my head. It's going to be a perfect yarn for a short cape or hood - natural grey, and rustic.:) I'm hoping to have my ranger "costume" finished by the end of this summer. A hand-spun, woven cape or hood would be a nice addition. :)

Tonight's dinner was what my boys affectionally like to call Taco Barf. Looks awful, but tastes divine :). Mashed black beans, chunky salsa, avocado chunks, homemade taco seasoning and green onions...scooped with some corn chips. Yum! I was only a little hungry when I got home, and actually on the happyish side. I didn't feel like I was needing to seek any relief from my day. It was a nice sensation :)

G'night and happy challenging everyone! :)

1.  Start reading earlier so that you're comfortable and in bed/sleep mode at a better time?

2.  All you can really do with regionalized cold is adapt.  Um, more sweaters?

I'm a child of two librarians (one turned book seller). If I could, I'd read in my sleep. I've gone so far as to call in sick just so I could read for a day ( I think that was when one of the new Harry Potter books was released) :) :). No, as far as reading goes, I think I just have to suck it up and be a grown up and send myself to bed ;). ...That one more chapeter is just so tempting though!

Sweaters are one of the best inventions ever! Especially cashmere. Totally makes winter that much better. I asked the hubby if we could put a gas fireplace in the bed room, but he didn't go for it. So I'm trying socks by the bedside tonight. I can't stand sleeping in them, but if I put them on first thing, I'm hoping it'll help ;)

Slept in as late as I could this morning. I wore my workout clothes all day, but never made it to the treadmill. Still, a goal is a goal,so I'm checking the day as done. No cooking. I had enough leftovers. Otherwise I had a thoroughly enjoyable day of doing nothing responsible. I worked on one of my unfinished projects, and did a jigsaw puzzle. Hopefully I'll remember the sensation when things get crazy with my upcoming classes! ;)

Sleep in days are the best days, especially when you follow up with an utter lack of responsibility.  That's my kind of day, Raven!

Sounds like you mastered some productivity later, though, even if you dodged the responsibility.  That particular art... well, I haven't mastered it the same as you.  ;)

• Like 1

Another delightful day. I got up when I was ready to get out of bed. Surprisingly it was earlier than I would have thought. I did some yoga this morning, and then proceeded to enjoy a British film festival (DVD style), made a tie dye shirt, and finished knitting a sock.... and most importantly, snuggled with the dog :). A lot.

Food wasn't my strong point today. I didn't eat very healthy. I'm not letting it get to me down though.

I enjoyed the company of my family and even of myself. Every time I started to hear myself commenting that I should be doing something more productive, or responsible, I reminded myself that there was plenty of time for getting it done during the work week. As a result it's been one of the nicest weekends I've had in quite a while. I actually feel more in control than I have felt for quite some time. You see, usually my weekends are crammed with pushing myself to get things done, and catching up with everything that didn't get done during the week. It's an impossible mission. I typically feel a huge amount of guilt for not taking care of everything, and I end up being even more stressed by Monday.

I decided to try something different this weekend, and I do believe I like the result! ;)

Ahhh, and so it begins.

My IT classes start tonight.  I've got just enough time to get home after work, make a quick dinner and then head off to class.

I've just had a lovely conversation with the hubby regarding numerous amounts of bills we have to pay, and reflections that neither of us have had a significant raise in about 8 years.  We've always been able to live within our means, but each year just gets tighter and tighter..... Fun! Fun!  

The rest of the week is going to be really busy too.....  I'm going to have to be very careful about food and dinner.  I can feel the urge to stress eat already.  It's tempting to think about ordering out for lunch :(.  That's why I'm writing now - diversionary tactic! ;)

Did my workout this morning.  My son decided that he needed to sleep in, so it was a quiet morning, but nice :)

Monday, when I got home I immediately nashed on peanut butter and crackers until the pasta cooked. I gave myself a couple of points for at least cooking something.

So yesterday I got up and dressed. Did stretching but not more than that as fa as activity goes. The afternoon was not so great goal wise. I just snacked.

This morning, work is on a two hour delay, so I've got time to make my lunch. Thinking about yesterday, I feel like I haven't found a strong enough incentive for a better eating habit when I get home. Intellectually I have good incentives. I just can't seem to nail down the craving I need to help override my desire to immediately eat something when I walk in the door.

I watched it yesterday. I had absolutely great intentions even as I pulled up into the garage. The second I walked in the door all I wanted to do was dump my backpack and head straight to the fridge/ pantry. Knowing that was going on, I made myself go upstairs and change out of work clothes, and I sat in the living room and read. So that was good, but later when I was truly hungry, I had zero motivation to make anything. I can't even remember what I snacked on, but I don't think it was remotely healthy.

I have to find that trigger that motivates me to want to cook/ make something. Grrrr! ;)

Anywhoo, I got up this morning and did my workout. I REALLY need to work on my chin-ups. Those suckers kill me! I can tell they'll get better if I keep working at it, but I have to work at it consistently...

It's nice to start the day on an up-note :)

When it's really cold out, I wear mountaineering socks around the house.  They stay on better and keep my feet warmer than slippers.

As for food, there's the standard "make big batches ahead of time and freeze/store in individual portions for snacking or meal-time" advice.  But in all honesty I don't know how many people who give that advice are actually taking it themselves. :)

When it's really cold out, I wear mountaineering socks around the house.  They stay on better and keep my feet warmer than slippers.

As for food, there's the standard "make big batches ahead of time and freeze/store in individual portions for snacking or meal-time" advice.  But in all honesty I don't know how many people who give that advice are actually taking it themselves. :)

Socks were definitely needed this morning.  First snow of the year.  :)  At least the cold seems justified now.   

I took your advice and made a quadruple batch of a dressing for a dish that I make often enough.  I don't think it should go bad.  I had the extra time this morning, and it certainly relieves the stress of having to do everything when I get home.  :)  Thanks for the reminder! I also picked up some grapes during lunch and plan on divvying out portions when I get home today.  I know eating a lot of fruit is not ideal, but it's better than junk food ;).

• Like 1

First snow of the year!  Yay!  Happy Dance :). We had a two hour delay for school.  I love slow snow mornings.  I still got up at 5 and did my workout, but I didn't have to rush around and get ready and eat breakfast...and help my boys get ready.  The house was quiet while everyone else slept in.  My stress levels took a major nose dive as soon as I realized I had plenty of time to get everything done and enjoy the morning.  :)

Work at the school is pretty much a waste of a day on a delay.  By the time we get in, it's already almost time for lunch.  I've been doing my homework (it's related to work, so they let me study here), and I've planned out some of my meals for the week (that was on breaks between reading mind-numbing, gawd-afwul,dry IT textbooks) (Shhh, don't tell anyone, but I find most of the stuff pretty interesting.  These authors just need to take a few writing or communication classes).  

After two days of not so great dinners, I'm looking forward to tonight's dinner.  And I even should have plenty of time to relax and eat before I leave for class tonight.  :)

• Like 1

Super sleepy this morning.  Wednesday is a 5 am to 11pm day.  Getting up this morning was a bitch!  I only had 6 hours of sleep.   I'm glad it isn't a workout day, and the stretching felt really good (and needed), but I'm really tired right now.  The room where I do my workouts and stretching is the coldest room in the house in the winter (the one above the garage).  I think the cold actually helped me get moving, but it was still rough to wake up.   I think Thursdays are going to be recoup days - I'm just going to go home after work and sleep!

I made dinner when I got home yesterday - super yummy.  I still feel like I'm rushing through things when I sit down to eat, mostly because my family is off elsewhere doing their own thing.  Without anyone to talk to, I just sit there and eat, and it only takes a couple of minutes.  Maybe after my classes are over I'll work a goal for eating family meals together into one of my challenges.  I know I don't have the brain power to tackle that mountain right now.  ;)

On a tangent.  My husband tried my food last night and actually liked it.  Said he would eat it again.  So I consider that a plus.  Even if I could get him to eat with me a little more often that would be nice :).  Granted he made himself a plate and went to eat in the living room while watching TV, but I'll take any progress I can get.  At least he wasn't eating a bowl of cereal... again. 

After I got home from class - that need-to-eat trigger kicked in as soon as  I walked in the door.  It's total weirdness. I'm not hungry at all the second before, but something triggers a Pavlovian reaction as soon as I get home.  I ate a handful of grapes, told myself to get my *hit together and went to bed.  :)  

Now  I just have to make it through the rest of the day without falling asleep at my desk.....

:)

• Like 1

Yesterday afternoon:  Got home, ate healthy food, went to bed at 6:30.... :)

Man, did I need that sleep!  10.5 hrs.  Was still a little groggy this morning, but nothing more than the usual.  

Made the mistake of stepping on the scale this morning.  Yesterday I was 147, this morning the *ucker said I  was at 151.  I need to chuck that piece of !%$#^$# out the window.  I've tried hiding it, but my husband still wants it around.  I KNOW it isn't about the weight, but still, it's an emotional roller coaster ride I don't need:  Happy, happy if it's going in the right direction.  End of the world apocalypse if it goes in the wrong direction.  I knew this would happen if I stopped counting my calories.  But I'm staying strong with my focus for this challenge - it's about building good habits of being physically active, and eating healthy food. Each workout brings small improvements and THAT is what I want. (not a number on a scale).  GDMF%($%*$# scale... grumble, grumble) ;)

It's so hard to try to rewire my thought habits!!!!  

Anyway.  I told the scale to "bite me".  My workout was good this morning.  Put a little more focus on form for my lunges and my legs felt like jelly for the next 30 minutes or so.  Walking down stairs to breakfast was fun :)  I haven't had any issues with my tendinitis or muscle cramps for a while, so that's good.

Tangent: I've been spending my free time looking for good vegan casserole recipes.  I still have a hard time shaking the idea that meals should be square (meat, milk, fruit & vegetable, bread & cereal.... does anyone remember those days before the food pyramid). (god, I'm old!),  Anyway.  So many vegan recipes seem to be bowl or salad oriented.  I've gone without meat for a long time, so I don't need a slab of something on my plate, but when you start to remove cheese and dairy, all those dishes that are glued together with eggs and or cheese disappear.   That pretty much leaves just grains and veggies.  - a lot of them!  I love the flavors,  but I still feel like I should be having some kind of "dish".   I assume I'll get over it eventually... it's just.... different.

Back to work..... :) 

• Like 1

So yesterday afternoon was a total wipe out. My son had left a few Reece's pieces on the countertop, and it went downhill from there. Peanut butter, grapes, cheese nips, cheese sticks, a little bit of scrambles eggs (that my son didn't finish for dinner). I didn't eat much of everything, but I just couldn't mentally commit to making an actual dish. That feeling of it being Friday, and being done with work and not wanting to do *hit kicked in. Oh well... Moving on....

I've got a training at the national gallery today. It's a full day of driving into DC and walking around all day. I know I'm going to be tired at the end of it. I find it amazing that a day of walking slowly around and looking at pictures can be so tiring! I've decided to go minimalist Just bringing my phone, ID, and credit card in my back pocket. I'll buy lunch at the gallery. It will cost a fortune, but I've done it before, and at least I know they've got healthy stuff.

I did stretching this morning. Maybe someday I'll turn the habit into official yoga or something, but for this challenge I'm just content to get up and commit to being healthy in some way. My glutes are tight, which I consider a good thing. I apparently gave them a bit of work yesterday ;).

It's all good :)