The Elinox Returns

elinox

For my 14th challenge, I'm going with The Mummy Returns theme because I love the character of Evie! She's an intelligent writer/librarian and scholar who is perfectly able to kick ass when necessary!

095a2ddd18953ad9248434e3242c68ff.jpg

Main Quest

To live a healthy and balanced life by exercising and trying to eat healthy.

My motivation

I've successfully dropped weight by counting calories so my diet will mostly be staying the same with 1200 calories per day M-F and then blow meals on the weekends. I've managed to put on some muscle in an effort to become stronger by weightlifting and I’ve discovered that I love lifting heavy things!

Smaller Quests

1.  The Scorpion King - Animal Flow

I want to focus more on my movement and endurance by being more mobile and conscious of how my body moves. Plus, I enjoyed this when I’ve done it before. I'm going to try for at least twice a week of practicing animal flow poses at home.

Scoring: x/8 weeks

Reward: +4 to DEX

2. Run from Imhotep - Running

In my 12th challenge, I worked on running and slowly building up to doing it longer. It was actually easier than I expected (or else I’m just that determined!). I don’t think I want a specific goal other than to simply run 2-3 times per week at the gym for more than 15 minutes.

Scoring: /12

Reward: +3 to STA & +2 to CON

3. I Am A Librarian - Editing

Now that I won NaNoWriMo, I need to edit my story before sending it off to a professional. I’m going to work on editing my story twice a week.

Scoring: /8

Reward: +2 to WIS

4. The Mummy Returns - Weights

No matter what else I do in my challenges here, I still always come back to lifting the heavy things. I like it, it makes me feel better about myself and it’s got practical, real-world purposes.

However, since I’m concerned that my heavy lifting has somehow injured my neck and my left shoulder, I’m easing up on the weights. I’m going to try for endurance this time instead of increasing the poundage.

I want to aim to do weightlifting 2-3 times per week.

Scoring: /4 weeks (1 point for going 2-3 times per 2 weeks)

Reward: +2 STR & +2 to CHA

MV5BMTcyNDU3Mzk0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzc3

• Like 1

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

I ran today for 15 minutes and I'm thinking that was too long! It's been over 8 weeks since my last run so now my legs hurt and I'm sure I'll be stiff tomorrow. It did feel good to get back to the gym after the holiday bustle though.

I also worked on my editing today. I got through about 10.5 pages.  

Running: 1/10

Editing: 1/8

• Like 1

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

I did weights today and felt simultaneously glad at being back at lifting heavy things and tired/sore at lifting heavy things. I also, after reading up about them on Thom Ulfhedinn's challenge, gave kettlebells a try for the first time. And I've got to say, they were cool! It felt great, and useful, to be swinging the little 10lb weight around. I may be adding in a new workout now!

Weights: 1/8

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

Evie was the best character in those movies!

Yes she is! :D

I ran for 15 minutes straight today at the gym and then I did some animal flow. I did crab, cougar, condor and rabbit.

Running: 2/10

Animal Flow: 1/8

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

I did weights again today and this time I added in kettlebell overhead presses too. I'm really liking them as they seem like actual useful weight movements.

I also edited 13 more pages of my story.

Weights: 2/8

Editing: 2/8

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

Great work trying out new things.  Kettlebells are fun.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

I did some modified animal flow today in my small office: gorilla swings, cougar, duck and crow.

Animal Flow: 2/8

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

I ran for 15 minutes and it still sucks. I also edited 12 pages of my story.

Running: 3/10

Editing: 3/8

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

I did animal flow today: cougar, crab and condor. I also lifted weights. 

Weights: 3/8

Animal Flow: 3/8

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

For me, running sucks right up until it doesn't.  Your mileage may vary. 

Great work getting creative and fitting in your Animal Flow wherever you can.  Do you recommend someone picking up the Animal Flow videos?

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/express/20-minute/animal-flow-workout

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/primal-workout-train-beast-look-beauty

https://gmb.io/animal-flow/

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

I've heard that about running, from runners, so either I haven't hit that time length yet where running stops sucking, or else (shockingly!) I'm NOT a runner. :P

I didn't use the Animal Flow videos, although I have seen his website. I purchased this book on the Kindle instead. I think it's similar, but it seems to be more for beginners and, let's be honest, it was cheaper. The poses in that book also seem to rely more on gentle poses where you can progress more slowly (there is a beginner, intermediate and advanced poses for most of the animals listed in the book) rather than his faster dance-like moves. The book I highly recommend!

• Like 2

Current Challenge: 

OK, I guess I should have first asked where you were getting your exercises.  Thanks for the link to the book.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

OK, I guess I should have first asked where you were getting your exercises.  Thanks for the link to the book.

Now that you mention it though, perhaps I should move onto more advanced Animal Flow. Although I'm leery of spending $50 on most anything. ;)

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

I ran for 15 minutes today and then did weights. I do not recommend this, as it sucked!  :playful:

Running: 4/10

Weights: 4/8

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

In college they had a saying about what to drink first, I never remember it though.  I think running before lifting is like that.

• Like 1

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

I should have mentioned that I didn't do leg weights after running. It was just arm weights of curls, kettle bell swings kettle bell presses and lateral raises. ;)

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

On Sunday, while at a spa for the day, I went to the gym and ran and then did weight lifting. I feel that on a day meant for entire relaxation, I did well. :D

Also, running on a treadmill while a video streams on the screen of a path in the woods is awesome and I wish more gyms had these expensive pieces of workout equipment!

Running: 5/10

Weights: 5/8

Current Challenge: 

I did animal flow today after biking at the gym. I did: condor, scorpion, rabbit and cougar.

Animal Flow: 4/8

Current Challenge: 

I edited 10 pages of my story today and did weights at the gym.

Weights: 6/8

Editing: 5/8

Current Challenge: 

I ran for 20 minutes straight today! And for the last minute, I was running running. Then I did animal flow: cougar, gorilla, duck and crow.

I also edited just under 10 pages too. 

Running: 6/10

Editing: 6/8

Animal Flow: 5/8

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

Twenty minutes of running is great, especially for someone who doesn't like running! 

• Like 1

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

I ran today for 15 minutes and then did animal flow. Poses included: condor, crab, crow (for longer than I've done before!) and wolf (my own pose).

Running: 7/10

Animal Flow: 6/8

Current Challenge: