Quothy Starts Fresh

QuothTheDragon

*waves awkwardly* So, I didn't disappear completely, just got too crazed and busy and had no mental space for doing challenge stuff. Or communicating. That burnout sucked ass.

I'm pretty excited for the new challenge format and length. It should eliminate that weird lagginess that happens in week 3-4 in the six week format. I'm also recovered from burnout due to the lovely 17 days off work I had. I absconded to FL and had lots and lots of mimosas, among other things. Somehow, I haven't gained weight (go figure).

In the spirit of the new challenge style and new year, I want to start with a realistic look at where I am and where I want to be on 1/1/17. (I gagged a little typing that. I'm in no way ready for the thought of 2017)

How I got here: (it's long and there may have been ninjas cutting onions around)

I've been on NF for almost two years, though my journey really started in January 2014. Two years ago, I was just under 240 lbs, unhappy with how I looked and felt, and had piss-poor self esteem. I had a limited social circle that mainly consisted of friends of the few close friends I had. If one of those core friendships went away, I would lose a huge chunk of my social life. I had quite a bit of social anxiety when it came to making new friends. I was always scared they would suddenly see how weird or different I was and hurt me somehow.

I really wasn't secure in anything. I felt helpless about my weight, my eating, my routine, my friends, my love life, my wardrobe. You get the idea. It wasn't pretty. And I don't think I truly realized how bad it was. I hit the first of many 'enough is enough' points on my journey around the beginning of 2014. I started counting calories. I started reading NF articles. I started running. 

When I joined the forums in April 2014, I had lost 6-7 lbs and was fairly proud of myself. I had recently stood up for myself at work and asked for (and received!) a raise that allowed me to join a dojo I had had my eye on for 3-4 years. I found the Monks. And I started chipping away at things.

I lost more weight. I made myself step out of comfort zones. I met Nerds in real life and did something I never thought I could (Spartan Sprint).

I was still struggling to really build habits. But I kept chipping away at it. Then, I finally recognized and got diagnosed and treated for my ADHD. The pace picked up a bit. I forgave myself for not 'meeting expectations'. I accepted who I was. I started loving myself.

I still don't have a perfect system in place. I need to work on that. But I weigh almost 40 lbs less than I did back then. I happier with myself than I ever have been. I more mentally healthy than I've been in a long time. I went to an amusement park and didn't feel self-conscious about my body when strapping myself into a ride. I wore a swimsuit around someone I may or may not have more than friendly feelings for.

My body isn't perfect. I'm not perfect. But I'm working to become a better me every day.

tl;dr: I've kicked ass and become a way happier person over the past two years.

Where I'm going:

A year from now, I want to be damn proud of my physical accomplishments. I want be much closer to my goal weight, maybe I'll even meet it. I want to feel strong, confident, and secure in my own skin. I want to be able to buy cute clothes without worrying about how they drape over my stomach. I want a pair of jeans that aren't both too tight in the waist and too loose in the leg. 

I want to get in touch with my emotions a bit more and be more emotionally available. I want to be a better pianist. I want to be able to hold at least a small conversation in Japanese. I want to get a tattoo. 

And this is just the stuff directly under my control. If things go the way I hope they do, I just might have a very special someone to share all of these accomplishments with. (god damn onion-cutting ninjas! I'm just a mess today.) If they don't go that way, I'll be okay, eventually (though it may sting to reflect on next year).

Resulting SMART goals for 2016:

1. I will lose 30 lbs by 12/31/16 through healthier diet and exercise choices.
  2. I will be able to do 1 pull up by 12/31/16 through a combination of building of upper body strength and weight loss.
  3. I will handle stress and emotional 'overflows' better by writing a weekly reflection for a total of 52 by 12/31/16. (These will not necessarily be shared or even saved, but they must be written)
  4. I will practice piano for at least 15 minutes a day, 6 days a week for a grand total of >312 practice sessions/78 hours of practice by 12/31/16.

Now, onto the challenge!

The 4 week format allows for tinier goals, so I'm definitely taking advantage of that. I've found that I don't do so well with larger goals as I struggle with breaking them down in attainable steps. 

Mission #1: Daily Fruits & Veggies

I'm going to start small and obtainable with this one. I have to eat one serving of fruit and one serving of veggie every day. It's not my end goal, but it's a good step since I suck at that whole consistency thing right now.

Mission #2: Karate

There was a reason I didn't mention karate in my goals for the year. Quite frankly, the dojo I go to is irritating the hell out of me. Between burn out, work, prepping for vacation, and vacation, I didn't really manage to go to more than a couple classes. I refuse to beat myself up over it. Life happens. The dojo sent out concerned emails to students who missed classes at the end of the year. They got a little holier-than-thou (it was more of a 'You MUST come to classes or you aren't getting all the benefit you can, which is MORE than just physical' than a 'Hey, are you okay? Just wanted to check in and I hope we see you soon!'). Plus, there was more religion injected in. 

I get it, the people running it are Christian. That's cool. I really don't care what they do or don't do out of the dojo. What I do care about is that I sometimes have to listen to how we need to 'think about what happens after we die' or about how Christ and karate go hand in hand. And I don't even live in the Bible Belt. Is it out of line to say that, as I pay money to go there and learn, I shouldn't have to hear about that?

Until I make a decision one way or another, I'll keep attending classes.

Mission #3: Change It Up

So, there's a nearby gym I've been keeping an eye on for a while. They're running a special for new sign ups (no contract!) right now and I'm intrigued. This place has both the cardio stuff and free weights/ropes/etc. It looks a lot like a CrossFit gym without being CrossFit. I've been intrigued by focusing on weights instead of running, so I want to give it a try. I'm planning on checking it out today or tomorrow and going from there.

Life MIssion: Cleaning Routine

Anyone else see that daily/weekly/monthly/yearly cleaning calendar going around recently? I really, really liked that idea. And the daily part will help with building good habits. I don't want to follow the exact calendar I saw though, so I'm going to create my own tonight or tomorrow, post it on here, and start. 

That's about it for now. Now, to write my grocery list since my entire fridge needs restocked x.x

spiritedaway-chihiro-stairs.gif

Me post-vacation

• Like 2

Wandering Monk

Starting Weight: 238 Current Weight: 189.2 Goal Weight: 150

PRs

Mile: 12:49 (11/1/14) 5K: 44:07 (3/13/16)

Hey there! You have a cool start and I am gonna jump in with you on this journey.

Sounds like you have accomplished A LOT and are wanting to build on it. That is awesome. 

Any other karate or martial arts places that may be a better fit? Or is this the only game in town? 

Welcome back and good luck with everything! Let's start 2016 in style! 

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. - Calvin Coolidge (OG MOTIVATOR)

CURRENT CHALLENGE

I love your challenges, they are so full of getting useful shit done.  I aspire to have challenges as good as yours.

Your dojo, man.  That's pretty heavy-handed.  I wouldn't even feel totally good about the guilt-tripping email, let alone the religious instruction.  It's their dojo and they can teach what they want for the people who dig that sort of thing, but it's totally not out of line to not want that from a dojo.  Religion is not an important karate skill (although the reverse may be true for some), so you didn't sign up with a karate school in order to be better at someone's religion.  I'd consider it a bit of an imposition, to be honest, like taking advantage of the educational relationship we'd agreed to have.  But there must be customers who want Christian karate with a religious component, so that's meant for their target customers.  Which... is not you. I'd chalk that one up to "not the right dojo environment for me", and go find a dojo where everyone leaves their private business with their street shoes when they get on the mat.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I hear you. You don't go to dojo for religious instruction. You go for martial instruction, and I guess it comes down to whether the quality of instruction outweighs the annoyance of having to deal with people playing missionary rather than martial artist. This is also the same school that gave you some trouble a while back over body issues, right? If so, a change-up may be what you need.

Anyway. You've been using the Rebellion to help you get what you want out of life, and you know how to do that. I think your plans look good, and I hope these steps you take get you closer to where you want to be one year from now.

Hey there! You have a cool start and I am gonna jump in with you on this journey.

Sounds like you have accomplished A LOT and are wanting to build on it. That is awesome. 

Any other karate or martial arts places that may be a better fit? Or is this the only game in town? 

Welcome back and good luck with everything! Let's start 2016 in style! 

Aww thanks! It doesn't feel like it sometimes (a lot of the time...), so I write these reflections to remind me how far I've come. There's definitely a ton of martial arts places, but that was the only one in my state in that particular style of karate :/ 

I may end up taking a short hiatus from monk-ing next challenge while searching for a new style.

I love your challenges, they are so full of getting useful shit done.  I aspire to have challenges as good as yours.

Your dojo, man.  That's pretty heavy-handed.  I wouldn't even feel totally good about the guilt-tripping email, let alone the religious instruction.  It's their dojo and they can teach what they want for the people who dig that sort of thing, but it's totally not out of line to not want that from a dojo.  Religion is not an important karate skill (although the reverse may be true for some), so you didn't sign up with a karate school in order to be better at someone's religion.  I'd consider it a bit of an imposition, to be honest, like taking advantage of the educational relationship we'd agreed to have.  But there must be customers who want Christian karate with a religious component, so that's meant for their target customers.  Which... is not you. I'd chalk that one up to "not the right dojo environment for me", and go find a dojo where everyone leaves their private business with their street shoes when they get on the mat.

Oh, you have no idea. I think going on vacation made me realize how effed up the whole thing really is. As Kishi alluded to, last year, there was an incident where I was pulled aside and asked to wear a tshirt under my gi because cleavage showed when I bent over...

They tend to recruit people into class from religious homeschooling and churches. I think anyone who isn't religious just doesn't hang around long, so there isn't much balance.

I hear you. You don't go to dojo for religious instruction. You go for martial instruction, and I guess it comes down to whether the quality of instruction outweighs the annoyance of having to deal with people playing missionary rather than martial artist. This is also the same school that gave you some trouble a while back over body issues, right? If so, a change-up may be what you need.

Anyway. You've been using the Rebellion to help you get what you want out of life, and you know how to do that. I think your plans look good, and I hope these steps you take get you closer to where you want to be one year from now.

It is the same school. Sensei also had a chat with us once that sorta implied that coming to Christ is an important part of earning your black belt. My only thought was if not being Christian would mean that I would never earn my black belt. Ugh.

Oh, they also started doing 'character packets' for adults that are a requirement for grading. I get doing it for kids, but adults don't need their hand held through character improvement. I think they're trying to turn it into a dojo-church. 

I'm going to email them today and just use financial considerations as my reasoning. I don't feel like getting into it with them.

In other news, I just ate a giant navel orange for my fruit today. It was way more work than I realized it would be XD

I also stopped by the gym last night. It was a true no contract $15/mo deal. Very, very different from the last gym I belonged to. It's also very much like a Crossfit place equipment-wise, which made me happy. They have a whole area dedicated to functional training :)

The coolest part is that one of the trainers there does 2 free, no-obligation sessions with a ton of different options afterward. So I have one of those scheduled for tomorrow! I don't know if I'll continue with it (at least prior to the new job if/when it ever starts), but he also does boot camps and group classes. The personal training sessions also cover what you eat for a week too, which is both tempting and not. Tempting because it takes the mental work out of it, not because I want flexibility. We'll see after tomorrow.

This challenge is going pretty well so far :)

Wandering Monk

PRs

WOW.  That sounds a hell of a lot like a baptism requirement for getting your black belt.  Honestly, that sounds like a place that's going to be a problem for you, as you rank higher and higher.  They're probably going to shut you out of leadership and teaching roles as you become senior for not being in line with the dojo values, and might not even rank you properly.

The gym sounds awesome, though!  And any day with a navel orange is a pretty good day, IMO.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Whoooo, Quothy!  I was hoping you'd turn back up!  (I mean, I've been quietly stalking you on facebook, but not the same!)

Yea, that dojo sounds bonkers.  I've heard of places that felt like karate involved too much "Eastern Mysticism" and decided they would sub that out with *Insert preferred brand of Jesus here,* which is kind of terrifying, if you ask me.  But yea, if they are pushing things that hard, best to get out while you can.  And while I kind of understand the character packets for gradings.... yea, adults have actual work we have to contend with, and don't need more homework associated with our hobbies.  Granted, yes, I feel there should be some character traits associated with grading (particularly at the higher ranks), but those shouldn't be seen with a homework assignment - the instructor should be able to see them from regular attendance and behavior on the mat.

*Ahem*

Anywho.  Totally jealous of your gym.  I wish I had something like that near by.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Yikes, that t-shirt story is crazy! I suppose a school like that works for some folks, but maybe not for you. Would you be open to a new style in another gym? BJJ? Muay Thai? Quoth Kwon Do? 

The new gym sounds great. Good luck with the trainer sessions! If I had the money, I would love to use a personal trainer once a week. 

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. - Calvin Coolidge (OG MOTIVATOR)

CURRENT CHALLENGE

WOW.  That sounds a hell of a lot like a baptism requirement for getting your black belt.  Honestly, that sounds like a place that's going to be a problem for you, as you rank higher and higher.  They're probably going to shut you out of leadership and teaching roles as you become senior for not being in line with the dojo values, and might not even rank you properly.

The gym sounds awesome, though!  And any day with a navel orange is a pretty good day, IMO.

Yup. It reallllllly rubbed me the wrong way. You hit the nail on the head with how they shut people out though. I used to help out with kids classes, but I got sick every 2 weeks when school started. I just couldn't do it anymore for my own health. I've been asked several times since then if I would be willing to help out again too. And I'm already borderline not ranked properly, which is also frustrating. I tend to help people at or slightly above my level with things like kata sequences and all. Very frustrating.

Whoooo, Quothy!  I was hoping you'd turn back up!  (I mean, I've been quietly stalking you on facebook, but not the same!)

Yea, that dojo sounds bonkers.  I've heard of places that felt like karate involved too much "Eastern Mysticism" and decided they would sub that out with *Insert preferred brand of Jesus here,* which is kind of terrifying, if you ask me.  But yea, if they are pushing things that hard, best to get out while you can.  And while I kind of understand the character packets for gradings.... yea, adults have actual work we have to contend with, and don't need more homework associated with our hobbies.  Granted, yes, I feel there should be some character traits associated with grading (particularly at the higher ranks), but those shouldn't be seen with a homework assignment - the instructor should be able to see them from regular attendance and behavior on the mat.

*Ahem*

Anywho.  Totally jealous of your gym.  I wish I had something like that near by.

I stalk Nerds on facebook too :P I realllllllly needed the time off away from everything to recharge and relax. I actually forgot what not being tense and on edge constantly felt like. 

I'm with you that even adults should gain character development from studying martial arts, but the character packets just seemed condescending to me. They were activities that you had to do for two weeks one at a time to 'develop your spiritual fruit'. Yeah. If the instructor isn't paying enough attention to see if you're improving in character after years of studying under them, they aren't a very good instructor.

I'm so damn excited for this gym :D

Yikes, that t-shirt story is crazy! I suppose a school like that works for some folks, but maybe not for you. Would you be open to a new style in another gym? BJJ? Muay Thai? Quoth Kwon Do? 

The new gym sounds great. Good luck with the trainer sessions! If I had the money, I would love to use a personal trainer once a week. 

There's actually a gym the trainer I chatted with goes to that does MMA, BJJ, Muay Thai, and Boxing. For now, I can't pick any of those up due to finances (unless the new job finally sets a start date. Sigh.) Style-wise...I have no idea. I really liked what I was doing :/  I'll have to try a few out and see what I like.

• Like 1

Wandering Monk

PRs

Sucks to have to change from something you liked.  But it's not forever, you can return to it some day when you have better options.  There are silver linings there, if you look hard enough.  I guess this is just when you start picking up your supplemental art. :)

[ your entire starting post]

:love_heart: :love_heart: :love_heart: :love_heart: :love_heart: :love_heart: :love_heart: :love_heart:

Lots of wisdom and self acceptance there.  Absolutely wonderful. 

I hope you can find a dojo you're more comfortable with because, yeah, that does not sound like it's a good fit for you.  The gym sounds great to try!!

are there any piano pieces that really inspire you to practice?

Clementine oranges are much less work if they're available in your area.  And so very very tasty.

Florida and mimosas is an excellent R&R plan :-D

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Two things:

one, hot damn, that gym sounds amazing. $15/month and a Crossfit-style equipment spread? You can't find deals like that. Na mean?

two, as I recall it, you were a Goju practitioner. Okay. Out of all the MMA-style options that were listed, Muay Thai will be the closest in terms of body mechanics and technique. Definitely not the same - it's probably going to be rougher practice, and they'll emphasize working more from a clinch range as opposed to true striking, but. That's assuming you can't find other karate places around where you are doing what you do.

Anyway, best of luck. This'll all shake out, just you wait and see.

Sucks to have to change from something you liked.  But it's not forever, you can return to it some day when you have better options.  There are silver linings there, if you look hard enough.  I guess this is just when you start picking up your supplemental art. :)

A supplemental art is a great way to think about it :)  I could also look into transitioning into another Okinawan karate eventually (if there are any around). 

[ your entire starting post]

:love_heart: :love_heart: :love_heart: :love_heart: :love_heart: :love_heart: :love_heart: :love_heart:

Lots of wisdom and self acceptance there.  Absolutely wonderful. 

I hope you can find a dojo you're more comfortable with because, yeah, that does not sound like it's a good fit for you.  The gym sounds great to try!!

are there any piano pieces that really inspire you to practice?

Clementine oranges are much less work if they're available in your area.  And so very very tasty.

Florida and mimosas is an excellent R&R plan :-D

I feel like I'm this wise person all the sudden and I don't know where it all came from XD

Well, mostly wise. Some things in life still confuse the hell out of me.

I would have gotten clementines, but I didn't see them till I was in line haha. These navel oranges though...so much work. I managed to cut myself with a plastic knife :/

Two things:

one, hot damn, that gym sounds amazing. $15/month and a Crossfit-style equipment spread? You can't find deals like that. Na mean?

two, as I recall it, you were a Goju practitioner. Okay. Out of all the MMA-style options that were listed, Muay Thai will be the closest in terms of body mechanics and technique. Definitely not the same - it's probably going to be rougher practice, and they'll emphasize working more from a clinch range as opposed to true striking, but. That's assuming you can't find other karate places around where you are doing what you do.

Anyway, best of luck. This'll all shake out, just you wait and see.

This gym is badass! It's usually $30/month, but the special this week is $15 with $15 down. They have boxes to jump on and more free weights than machines <3  There's quite a few figure competitors and athletes that use it too. And, even better, they have that warm, welcoming vibe for everyone, not an intimidating one.

I'm going to keep Muay Thai in mind, as it does sound the most interesting out of the MMA-style stuff. I'm also going to keep my eye out for any Okinawan-based styles.

So, let's see about challenge stuff:

Daily Fruit & Veggie: Check and check! Orange in the morning and made a big batch of brussel sprouts and bacon that was supposed to have leftovers...and didn't >>

Karate: I've decided what to do, but haven't actually emailed them yet >>  That should happen today or tomorrow.

Change It Up: I signed up for the gym and have the free consult with the trainer tonight at 6!

Cleaning Routine: Uhh...I should work on this today. My apartment needs it badly.

• Like 1

Wandering Monk

PRs

All this looks great! Nice job! 

Good luck with the school switch. I think if you shop around you'll find something you'll like eventually. And even if the style isn't ideal, if you get good people around you, it could make up for it. I think having a good community is really important, at least for me. 

Nice job! 

CURRENT CHALLENGE

How's things going for you? Found a new school? 

CURRENT CHALLENGE

All this looks great! Nice job! 

Good luck with the school switch. I think if you shop around you'll find something you'll like eventually. And even if the style isn't ideal, if you get good people around you, it could make up for it. I think having a good community is really important, at least for me. 

Nice job! 

How's things going for you? Found a new school? 

No new school, but the gym is fucking fantastic. I've had DOMS all weekend @.@ I had my two consults with the trainer and I'm definitely going to move forward with working with him once or twice a month. He took time to find out my goals and what I'm interested in, then explained how we'll get there. And explained all the equipment and workouts. As in, here's how to do a bench press with the barbell, here's what to do if you can't make it up and don't have a spotter, etc.

The fruit/veggie thing has been going fairly well. I think I missed 2 fruit days and 3 veggie days last week though, so I definitely have room for improvement :)

I'll post a bit of a longer update tomorrow cause today is a bit crazy.

• Like 2

Wandering Monk

PRs

Hey nice job with the trainer! Something like that can make a big difference! That idea of getting support from someone can help keep us on track.k 

Glad to hear things are going well! Looking forward to the update. 

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Well, as someone who trains others, I'm really glad that you managed to get the chance to work with what sounds like a good trainer.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your goals for this place? I mean, are you looking to get good at the Big Three, or are you taking up powerlifts, or what?

Really, I want to work on losing weight/getting stronger. I may spend a challenge or two outside the guild, but I'll always be a Monk. I'm going to take time and focus on what I really want out of martial arts before choosing a new one.

I don't know if it'll be straight lifting or what. Ultimately, I want to do Spartan-y stuff, so I guess that's more Ranger-y? (Such an eloquent sentence, that)

Hey nice job with the trainer! Something like that can make a big difference! That idea of getting support from someone can help keep us on track.k 

Glad to hear things are going well! Looking forward to the update. 

Exactly! It's nice to find someone that truly cares about your progress. It also helps to have someone to teach you how to do lifts and not hurt yourself >>

So, I have big news, guys. Drumroll, please!

As of this morning, I'm officially a proud member of motherfucking Onederland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's right, I've done it! I weighed in this morning at 199.6 lbs! I cried a bit, all super happy tears :)

• Like 2

Wandering Monk

PRs

No new school, but the gym is fucking fantastic. I've had DOMS all weekend @.@ I had my two consults with the trainer and I'm definitely going to move forward with working with him once or twice a month. He took time to find out my goals and what I'm interested in, then explained how we'll get there. And explained all the equipment and workouts. As in, here's how to do a bench press with the barbell, here's what to do if you can't make it up and don't have a spotter, etc.

I really need to find a trainer, I think.  I just lack the gym facilities to find one that would be halfway decent. 

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Really, I want to work on losing weight/getting stronger. I may spend a challenge or two outside the guild, but I'll always be a Monk. I'm going to take time and focus on what I really want out of martial arts before choosing a new one.

I don't know if it'll be straight lifting or what. Ultimately, I want to do Spartan-y stuff, so I guess that's more Ranger-y? (Such an eloquent sentence, that)

Exactly! It's nice to find someone that truly cares about your progress. It also helps to have someone to teach you how to do lifts and not hurt yourself >>

So, I have big news, guys. Drumroll, please!

As of this morning, I'm officially a proud member of motherfucking Onederland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's right, I've done it! I weighed in this morning at 199.6 lbs! I cried a bit, all super happy tears :)

AWESOME! Great job!!! That must be an awesome feeling. I hope your stay in Onederland is a long and amazing thing. I am high-fiving you through the internet! Or fist bumping, whichever method of celebration you prefer. And you have found a cool trainer it sounds like as well. Man, what a day! Keep it up! And CELEBRATE of course! 

CURRENT CHALLENGE

I really need to find a trainer, I think.  I just lack the gym facilities to find one that would be halfway decent. 

Do you have a Powerhouse near you? That's what I'm using, but I don't know if it's awesomeness is the norm or if it's this location.

If I'm identifying them right, I'm pretty sure they have lat least 4 squat racks. It's badass.

AWESOME! Great job!!! That must be an awesome feeling. I hope your stay in Onederland is a long and amazing thing. I am high-fiving you through the internet! Or fist bumping, whichever method of celebration you prefer. And you have found a cool trainer it sounds like as well. Man, what a day! Keep it up! And CELEBRATE of course! 

It feels soooooo good! I feel lighter mentally today, it's crazy. It's like a switch has flipped in my brain and suddenly I have all this headspace to deal with other shit in my life. Go figure. It really brings home the point that losing weight doesn't solve your problems, you still have to deal with those (though it may make it slightly easier).

See, I had a few issues dealing with jerkbrain/anxiety beast from Sunday till yesterday. Depending on which term I'm using, the analogy and visuals change. I put the details in the spoiler tag for anyone who wants to read them.

Jerkbrain throws childish tantrums over dumb shit. It's a beautiful sunny day with bright blue skies and you're sitting their enjoying the warmth. Then one cloud shows up, no where near the sun. Jerkbrain throws itself to the ground, flailing and sobbing and yelling how the day is RUINED!!!1!. It's an amusing visual :)

Anxiety beast must be slayed. I tend to use this one when I have that nasty impending doom feeling in the pit of my stomach. When a tiger stalks you, it won't attack if it sees your eyes. You have to turn and face the monster to defeat it. It takes guts, but that nasty doom feeling will just keep getting worse otherwise.

Ultimately, they're both like a boggart. You have to turn it into something funny and defeat it with laughter. Laughter is letting go of what's making you anxious.

Feel free to steal if it helps you :)  I don't claim it helps with GAD or anything (my anxiety is centered around a few topics and stems from life stuff and ADHD), but it's what works for me.

The good news is I've defeated the anxiety beast and the jerk brain (I had both this time). Now, I'm removed from it enough to really look at the root of what gets me into that state. And I'm going to try to tackle it. I'm going to replace my cleaning goal with this and do the cleaning one next month. So, new life mission is The Inner Demon Boss Fight. I really do feel like it's a boss fight. But this is something that will hold me back from progressing in a few areas of life until it's handled. So I'm going for it.

Phew...that was a bit long. 

Otherwise, I got my veggie in Monday and both fruit and veggie yesterday. So that's going well. And I'll be back in the gym after work today :)

• Like 2

Wandering Monk

PRs

Again, congrats on the big life win! I think you're right in that losing weight doesn't solve all our problems, but it can make things easier. I kinda feel that way about money. I don't enough now, but even if I did I wouldn't change too much as a person, but it would make life a lot easier. If I win that powerball I will throw a huge NF Monk party though! 

I hear you about the anxiety, it's something I have had to deal with my entire life and at times been pretty damn severe. Like anything, there's good times and worse times, but we make it. Making progress on life stuff is a great way of keeping it at bay and it sounds like you have good strategies dealing with everything. 

Good job with everything! And enjoy those veggies! 

CURRENT CHALLENGE

How are things going with you? I hope you had a nice weekend and did some fun things with your recent arrival to onederland! 

CURRENT CHALLENGE