EXPERIMENT #1: PUSH

tumblr_m91hjsrRtW1rtq215o9_500.gif

HOW TO PLAY:

• A datasheet of this week's exercises has been provided here. Each test subject will be asked to complete a single AMRAP set in each exercise *up to their current capability*.
    • AMRAP (As Many Repetitions As Possible) is defined as a the maximum reps completed *with good form* in a single set with minimal rest
    • For single limb variants, use whichever limb you like. Feel free to use Google sheets' "add note" feature to add notes to the spreadsheet
    • Partial reps are permitted FOR THE FINAL REP ONLY, however entering an AMRAP of 0 is not permitted. i.e. you may enter a score of 2.5 reps if you final rep was shallow or .5 reps if you only managed to go halfway in your first and final rep attempting an exercise, but you may not do 6 half reps and count those as a score of 3.
  • Do not feed the mantis-men.
  • If you have an injury that means you cannot do any of these exercises safely please contact your Guild Leaders for an alternative challenge for the week.
  • Do not taunt the mantis-men.
  • Each participant will be awarded with a complementary companion cube free of charge (while supplies last, restriction may apply, please allow 6-8 centuries for shipping).
  • Do not look at the mantis-men.
  • The scoring formula is based on how many exercises were attempted (with diminishing returns) and number of reps. The exact details of the formula are confidential, however, based on the experiment's results, the scoring formula for next week's experiment may be modified.
  • Up to 5 BONUS points will be awarded to any test subject who provides a link to a tutorial or example video for an exercise on the data sheet that does not yet have a video linked. This need not be your own video, so long as it is available for public usage. Please link it in this thread to claim your points.
  • This week's winners will receive a special prize.

Scores will be determined by the number and variety of exercises completed, and bonus points will be awarded for exceptional effort, so try as many as you can!

This mini-challenge lasts until SUNDAY 11:59PM EST... so get pushing!

>>Begin Now<<

companioncube2.gif

Normal Mini-Challenge Rules:

- Mini-challenges are not mandatory, feel free to ignore this one if you don't want to participate. Don't let mini-challenges hinder your own goals.

- If you're not sure how to register something, post it here.

- Keep it simple!

- Don't hurt yourself!

Assassins, remember to be safe and have fun!

• Like 8

ūüé™current challengeūüé™

challenge archive: 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

This challenge looks awesome. 

Typewriter Push-up video

Level 5 - Assassin

STR 7, DEX 13, STA 9, CON 15, WIS 11, CHA 4

Challenge #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

√Ę‚ā¨ŇďWe are funny creatures. We don't see the stars as they are, so why do we love them? They are not small gold objects, but endless fire.√Ę‚ā¨

- Henderson the Rain King, Saul Bellow

Knee pushup video! Let me know if the link doesn't work :) 

https://youtu.be/LiKfLE2K_DI

Calanthia Cobbin: Level 3 Hobbit Ranger

Rogue of Stick 'Em With The Pointy End! 

STR: 2.13 | INT: 2.37 | DEX: 4.25 | STA: 11.23 | CON: 11.88 | WIS: 8.72 | CHA: 5.81  

My Epic Quest | Current Challenge | Past Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th | Fitbit

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~JRR Tolkien

Also, just put in 100 wall pushups and now I can't move my arms. BUT I'm incredibly impressed with myself! :)

• Like 7

Calanthia Cobbin: Level 3 Hobbit Ranger

Rogue of Stick 'Em With The Pointy End! 

STR: 2.13 | INT: 2.37 | DEX: 4.25 | STA: 11.23 | CON: 11.88 | WIS: 8.72 | CHA: 5.81  

My Epic Quest | Current Challenge | Past Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th | Fitbit

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~JRR Tolkien

Just to clarify - this is not all in one go, correct? We can do standard pushups till our arms fall off today, and then do diamond pushups till our arms fall off tomorrow, etc. And it is AMRAP, so you can't accumulate reps in one exercise over the day, but you could try again later in the week if you think you can do better.

And we are supposed to do all of the variations that we possible can, yes? Even if wall pushups are "too easy" we can still do 100 and that counts.

Okay, never mind the clarification, it is obvious that yes, this is the case. Got it.

Also, I will be really delighted if the scoring formulas for these are sometimes are scaled to whichever is the hardest one you can do. But not always, because then you aren't motivated to try the harder ones. SNEAKY EXPERIMENTATION!

• Like 1

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #22 Weasel does 500 Pullups

Why not pike push-ups? :D

• Like 3

Raptron, alot assassin

67 | 66 | 65 | 64 | 63 | 62 | 61 | 60 | 59 | 58 | 57 | 56 | 55 | 54 | 53 | 52 | 51 | 50 | 49 | 48 | 47 | 46 | 45 | 44 | 43 | 42 | 41 | 40 | 39 | 38 | 37 | 36 | 35 | 34 | 33 | 32 | 31 | 30 | 29 | 28 | 27 | 26 | 25 | 24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Yessssss putting this on my schedule for Thursday!!!!

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 56 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

A few clarifying notes:

Bonus points will be awarded only to the first person to link a video.  Only videos for exercises listed in the progression count (sorry, raptron, maybe pike push-ups next time ;) ).  For uneven variants, just like single limb variants, one rep is down and then up again.  If you do both sides (for typewriter push-ups as an example), that's two reps.  An AMRAP means you do as many reps as you can do IN ONE GO.  You can't stack that number by taking a break and then adding reps - you can try again at a later time and beat your old record, though.  Retry as many times as you like and list your best AMRAP.  You can try variants that are too easy for you if you like and yes the points still count.  Scoring, as I said, is going to be malleable as the challenge progresses.  "Experiment" is an accurate description of what we are doing here, for more reasons than just the challenge theme. ;)  The format of some of 2016's activities will be based on what we see here.

Bonus points will be added later.  Work continues to eat my brain, so expect most updates in the afternoons/evening US time.  Thanks for your patience. :love_heart:

• Like 6

ūüé™current challengeūüé™

challenge archive: 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Ohhh, my bad. I thought those variations had been added in after the linkage. Thanks for the deets, darling. <3

Raptron, alot assassin

67 | 66 | 65 | 64 | 63 | 62 | 61 | 60 | 59 | 58 | 57 | 56 | 55 | 54 | 53 | 52 | 51 | 50 | 49 | 48 | 47 | 46 | 45 | 44 | 43 | 42 | 41 | 40 | 39 | 38 | 37 | 36 | 35 | 34 | 33 | 32 | 31 | 30 | 29 | 28 | 27 | 26 | 25 | 24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

one arm push-ups!

is that all of them?

off to collect my table push-ups...

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40 | reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Retry as many times as you like and list your best AMRAP.  You can try variants that are too easy for you if you like and yes the points still count.  Scoring, as I said, is going to be malleable as the challenge progresses.  "Experiment" is an accurate description of what we are doing here, for more reasons than just the challenge theme. ;)

That's what I was going to ask next. :)

Experiments like this must be the type where you hit the "volunteers" with a baseball bat until they behave as your hypothesis proposes. ;)

• Like 2

Level 4 Human Assassin/Monk
Str 11 | Dex 10 | Sta 2 | Con 6 | Wis 8 | Cha 4
Intro - Challenges: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

LOL, this is going to be FUN!

• Like 2

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

I had to google 'typewriter pushup'.

giphy.gif

I'm gonna start on these toniiiight~~

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 56 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

Also, just put in 100 wall pushups and now I can't move my arms. BUT I'm incredibly impressed with myself! :)

I definitely would have crapped out at 50 if I hadn't seen this post! You inspired me to do 100.

Also, those typewriters are brutal. I managed 2 each on the left and right. So I'm hoping that counts as 4.

And congratulations, starsapart, for tempting me to try a one armed pushup. NOPE! Still not even close. But you don't know until you fall on your face trying.

• Like 10

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #22 Weasel does 500 Pullups