• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ebm1224

beware - this question is about poop

well the title sorta says it all. i've been eating a paleo diet for about 3-4 weeks now and, recently, have had some "evacuation issues."

the rundown

friday night: dinner at a cuban place where i had a shredded flank steak dish and plantain chips and salad

saturday breakfast: sausage, scrambled eggs with peppers and onions

maybe an hour or two after breakfast i had to use the bathroom. and it was like "whoosh." i proceeded to feel a little icky the rest of the weekend.

i'm not sure if it was something in the cuban food or maybe the eggs?

i had chalked it up to one of those things until today.

tuesday dinner: london broil, hamburger, brocolli, sweet potato fries

tuesday nighttime snack: crasins and dried apricots

this morning i woke up and about 30 minutes later ...."whoosh."

went to work and got the "whoosh" feeling again but nothing really productive happened there.

i brought the leftover london broil and sweet potato fries with me for lunch. ate that and, sure enough, 30 minutes later..."whoosh."

at this point, i'm assuming the weekend thing is unrelated to this even though the symptoms are similar.

i was wondering if too much fat could be the cause. i know everyone is different but has anyone had a similiar experience? any advice to fix it?

thanks!

a funny anecdote to make me feel less weird about posting about my bowel habits on a public forum: a friend of mine was diagnosed with crohn's back in high school and she went in for surgery. a couple friends and i drove to see her at which point we also met her doctor who was checking in with her. he told us that, at his office, he has several copies of "everybody poops" in his waiting room...just in case anyone felt shy about talking about such things :)

i'm offended by this thread...

No you're not, you love it, it's why you clicked.

ebm, you're not the only one who has seen issues. I've been stricter with it more recently and lets just say there have been lack of solidity issues. I imagine the body takes awhile to adjust?

Em. first my kids loved everybody poops!

Second, if you have been eating more natural fats and fewer polyunsaturated vegetable seed oils then when you actually eat them (fried plantains were probably not cooked in lard or if they were they were cooked in hydrogenated lard) and what did you fry the sweet potato fries in?

My husband, whenever he eats fried food out (at home I fry in tallow or pastured lard or butter) when he comes home, he Whooshes too...

I would think that is it. Eggs can cause gas but I have never had an evacuation issue with them. I will say though that sometimes it is the tiniest thing causing the issue. I had to go through a mini-elimination diet a few weeks back because after dinner every night I spent at least 3 times on the pot...turned out it was my latest batch of sauerkraut. it was VERY strong (i used too much whey in the process) and over a tablespoon of it made me poop. After taking that out of my diet i was fine and the new batch is perfect.

Best of luck!

sweet potatos were cooked in extra virgin olive oil but that's what i use for everything. i did put some chili seasoning in the burgers and on the fries...can seasoning do that? ah well. thanks for the advice, yall!

I have a suggestion! This worked for me as I had some of the same issues going paleo -

Get a probiotic supplement.

Those little gut bugs solved my problem. Give it a try if you aren't already using them.

Eating lots of fat makes your intestines all slippery and things should move lots quicker. Protein and other gaseous foods (such as eggs/broccoli/cabbage) give you lots of (you guessed it!)...gas. My experience with eating less grains and eating more fats and proteins is that food moves much quicker and faster through my system.

I actually just started my version of the Atkin's Fat Fast and fully expect to have exciting visits in the bathroom.

I have a different question about poop, but I thought I would post it in the same thread because...I don't know, just because.

I noticed I am actually going less...still going every day, but smaller volume. I've upped my calories to about 1500 from 1200 and just think that seems...weird. I thought eat more = poop more?

Also I second probiotics. They're good for ya - it's got electrolytes! (not really)

ebm and MirGSS

going from a high fiber diet to a high protein diet could cause intestinal issues...

taking time to adjust could be the answer....

any change from a US diet to something else will stir up the little buggers in your gut.

ebm, I wonder if YOU HAD a bug...from the meal over the weekend...and it still is whooshing? I don't know how long you've been doing paleo.

MirGSS - are you getting enough water?

headed to the frig to take my probiotics!

this may not fit in this thread...but for MirGSS - the amount of water recommended for weight loss (fat burning) is .5oz per pound of body weight.

For me, that's unbelievable...for you, 8 - 8oz cups may be enough.

At least you can check the math.

I am leery of the whole government instructions for 8- 8oz cups a day...I'm leery of any government instructions on dietary needs...just so you know my position!

They're good for ya - it's got electrolytes! (not really)

Is that an Idiocracy reference?

Anyway to address the OP: you said you get that wooshy feeling just half an hour after you eat? If that's so, then I don't think it's the food itself that might be causing the runs...maybe it's how you're eating it, or how much you're drinking with the food? If I eat really quickly I often take in a lot of air and that makes me feel bloated and gross - so could eating more slowly or drinking more water with the meal help at all?

Is that an Idiocracy reference?

Maaaaaaybeeeee....

And back to the OP's issue, I have had some weird stuff happen like that pretty soon after eating. I realize it's been a couple days since you posted - feeling any better?

For all problems concerning #2's.....psyllium husk. It's like an all encompassing equalizer. 2 tablespoons at night (even better if you add some athletic greens to it) and you'll be good to go. Just give it a day or so after you start to feel the effects.

hey all, thanks for the wisdom - sorry i haven't checked back in though i have been reading the comments.

to let you know where things are: feeling pretty good lately (knock on wood). things still haven't really returned to the solidity that i'm used to...but the whooshing has stopped. maybe a few minor instances...but they weren't like that "zomg!" feeling...just sorta...gotta go. i did make londonbroil again this week and ate it with no problem. i cooked it much more fully this time so perhaps the rawness was the issue. i've stayed away from eggs since that last unpleasantness (though i did have some chopped up in a salad for lunch today). i think i'll try them again this weekend. i have a feeling it was just a passing stomach issue and not really something i ate.

so...things are ok in the poop department. not stellar. but ok. tonight i'm going to start adding non-paleo foods back into my diet to see how i feel.

thanks again for all the advice!

Is psyllium husk like a grain though since it's a "husk?" I'm just wondering because I'm working on cutting out all the grains but the paleo-ish diet is causing some GI changes and I added psyllium back in but the bottle has a big picture on the front that sure looks a lot like wheat or any other grain. Hmmm?! Anybody know?