Help with a program

swe

Hej everyone!

I'm going to ask a question that a lot of people are gonna think is really dumb but might make sense after I've explained myself.

Does anybody have any experience with good programs without squats and deadlift?

I moved to a new city 4 months ago and fell off the wagon when i started work. Long hours and a lot of restaurant food. Now I wanna get back in it. Problem is I only have one gym near me and it has just ONE squat rack. 

Even when I get there early in the morning, half the time there is somebody else using it and it gets really frustrating either waiting or asking to jump in all the time. So a 5x5 like I used to do is hard to do regularly.

I know some people will say find another gym but there isn't one near me or my office and I know that the best way for me to actually regularly go to the gym and get back in shape is stick to the one that is close to my place. 

So i'm wondering if anybody here has good suggestions. Preferably somebody in a similar situation who has actually used a program without squatting and deadlifts. There must be programs for people with back problems or bad gyms, right? It can be a program of anywhere between 3-6 days a week. 

Thanks so much for any help.

Today I will do what others won't, so that tomorrow I can do what others can't

Battle Log - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/43243-swes-path-fun-change/

What are your goals? How much time do you have each lifting day? What's your experience with weights?

You can still do most barbell-based programs without a squat rack, with some modifications. Depending on how heavy your lifts are, some exercises can be done with the fixed-weight curling bars if you have a paucity of barbells.

1. You don't need a rack for deadlifts. Just a barbell and plates. Take the bar from the bench press station and deadlift. If there is only one barbell (horror of horrors!) use DBs or the fixed-weight bars and do deadlifts or one-legged deadlifts. 

2. For squats, substitute in other lifts: clean the barbell and do front squats, use DBs and do lunges, use a DB and do goblet squats, do shrimp squats or pistol squats or sissy squats, DB or BW step-ups.

If you absolutely positively can't squat or deadlift, find other substitution exercises that have the same general benefit: good mornings, GHR, back extensions, hip thrusts, the above mentioned squat substitutions. Something is better than nothing even if it's not a straight up 5x5.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply!

As for your questions:

1. Goal is to first cut a bit cause I've gained some fat but in the long run I'm wanting to bulk up to roughly 80kg and aim for roughly 8-10% bf.

2. mon-fri I have 45 minutes every morning easiliy. Could make it an hour tops. Weekends I have time but if I see friends or if i travel I can't make it so ideally I'd like a program where I hit the gym mon-fri

3. I used to work out a lot and got to a point where I was at an intermediate level on most compound lifts when it came to how much I lifted compared to my bodyweight.Now I've lost a lot of strength though so I would say I should start from scratcha as a beginner. I have experience and I am good when it comes to form but I'm really weak at the moment.

Well there is a bench press at my gym but not really any space where I can use the barbell to deadlift. Sadly the squat rack is the only place. It's a cheap gym and I'd much rather pay more for a better one but like I wrote above I work a lot of hours and I know that if I pick a gym that takes me 15-20 minutes to get to I'm gonna have a hard time keeping it up it the long run. 

If you had to pick a few exercises to swap out deadlifts and squats entirely what would you pick? I don't want to do 10 exercises and be at the gym for too long because that's not sustainable for me but I also don't want to pick the wrong ones and end up causing imbalances.

Battle Log - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/43243-swes-path-fun-change/

I'd probably pick a quad dominant movement, a glute or hamstring dominant movement and a back extension.

So something like

Front squats (either with DBs or a BB)

Long-stride DB or BW lunges (or high step ups)

Back hyper extension

or

DB lunges (can be ham dominant, glute dominant or relatively balanced, depending on your individual levers and how large of steps you take)

Goblet squats

Good mornings (be careful with these as it's easy to do them VERY wrong)

ExRx (http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html) has a great exercise directory that I use a lot when I'm trying to find exercise substitutes for similar muscle groups.

45-mins isn't a lot of time to do heavy full body all the time. Especially if you're wanting to go every day/almost every day, you might be better off working into a split, with a specific focus each day. If you're coming back from re-beginner status, it's not ideal, but the program you do is better than the program you don't, right? I like Push/Pull/Legs myself. It works well either as a three day plan, with every other day as rest, or as a six day plan, doing it twice in a week with one day rest, depending on your own individual time/recovery constraints.

Awesome thank you!

Never seen the goblet squat before but I youtubed it and that looks brilliant. Looks a lot more comfortable on the form than holding a DB in each arm like i've seen some people do for DB squats. 

I'll definitely incorporate these and whenever the squat rack is free I'll do some squats and deadlifts as well. 

And yes I agree I won't do full body like 5x5 because given that I'm adding more exercises I won't really have the time. Thanks again for your help.

Leg press and Lunges if you cant squat. Good mornings are good for the lower back. The Problem with not squatting is that you're not just missing out on hitting those muscles, but you're missing out on the Testosterone and HGH benefits as well. Studies have shown that a good squat workout increases the production of both hormones more than any other exercise excluding HIIT sprints. 

Leg press and Lunges if you cant squat. Good mornings are good for the lower back. The Problem with not squatting is that you're not just missing out on hitting those muscles, but you're missing out on the Testosterone and HGH benefits as well. Studies have shown that a good squat workout increases the production of both hormones more than any other exercise excluding HIIT sprints. 

The increase in T and HGH are actually pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

And other studies have not shown that, and the squat specific benefit has been debunked over and over.

Either way the pulse is tiny and short lived, not nearly strong enough to have any effect on muscle growth.  The effect of either is small anyway, insulin is the most anabolic hormone (HGH esp is not really much of a muscle grower).

Your comment is frequently repeated by the Church of Squatâ„¢ but outside of that echo chamber noone agrees, including science.  This isn't to say that squats are bad though.

But, there are a lot of big dudes and pro athletes that don't squat.  The idea that they are absolutely vital to making progress (even optimal progress) is hogwash.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

And other studies have not shown that, and the squat specific benefit has been debunked over and over.

Either way the pulse is tiny and short lived, not nearly strong enough to have any effect on muscle growth.  The effect of either is small anyway, insulin is the most anabolic hormone (HGH esp is not really much of a muscle grower).

Your comment is frequently repeated by the Church of Squatâ„¢ but outside of that echo chamber noone agrees, including science.  This isn't to say that squats are bad though.

But, there are a lot of big dudes and pro athletes that don't squat.  The idea that they are absolutely vital to making progress (even optimal progress) is hogwash.

Poorly designed studies on untrained populations hold little weight against guys squatting four or more times their bodyweight.

For every big dude and pro athlete that doesn't, there are most likely dozens that do. Obviously I can't speak for every sport, but in those I have been able to see, (basketball, rugby, american football), squats are an integral party of their off-season training where strength is a priority.

Now, I'll concede that some people paint the squat as the holy grail, which it isn't. At the same time, exercises like the squat and the deadlift don't garner their reputation by accident. They are very good movements with a very powerful crossover to both strength and size that has been proven time and time again in the trenches by athletes, powerlifters and physique competitors.

"No-one tells a T-Rex when to go to sleep".

- Jim Wendler