Yoga and Strength Training: Druid seeks...

So I am wondering if there is someone out there who is working on the same or similar goals for this Jan. Challenge?

I am working on weight training exercises and strengthening exercises. I am looking for a Accountabilibuddies and I'd like to help you out as well.

I love yoga but have fallen out of regular practice. My goal is to do yoga and stretches several times a week. I also want to work on the strengthening my muscles, especially my legs and arms. I want to be successful with my goals. I think I need to someone to encourage me and check in. Then I will kick my butt into gear. 

• Like 1

Hi Absolutezoe, I am not participating in this challenge, but I am in it for the long haul (battle log). ;)

I am doing strength training as well (currently following the 8 week GMB program Integral Strength), which has me working on that 3 - 6 days a week (depending on which week I'm on - starting with week 1 right now).

I have taken a break from yoga for a bit (didn't make it to classes regularly), but it wouldn't hurt if I practiced regularly at home until I can make it back to classes in spring...

What kind of yoga practice do you do? Do you have any favourite videos to follow or do you make up your own practice?

I would also like build a habit of regular stretching / mobility work (mostly hips and legs at the moment, I think), but I could use someone to remind me of that. :)

Is there anything specific we could help you with to keep you accountable and "kick your butt into gear"? :)

How are you doing so far this week? 

• Like 2

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

I am a Ranger who is new to Lifting & Yoga (I started doing both last challenge on Nov 1st 2015 after having not done either in the first 29 years of my life...) For more info, follow the link in my sig to my 5th & current challenge. If you have any questions, let me know. I am doing 10-20 minutes of yoga every evening before bed and lifting 3x a week following the Stronglifts 5x5 program. But I have started doing lots of reading & youtubing about what programs I will eventually want to transition into in a few challenges. There's lots of pretty graphs & charts & spreadsheets (hidden inside spoilers) in my challenge. Hope I can help inspire :-)

• Like 1

Level 14 -- Yeti Ranger -- STR 30.25 | DEX 12.00 | STA 21.00 | CON 14.75 | WIS 18.00 | CHA 7.50

Current Challenge -- Previous Challenges -- My Epic Quest -- Album of Holding -- About Me

It's been quite the journey...

I used to go Ashtanga classes. But a few years ago I sustained injuries, I tore my rotator cuff and had severe soft tissue damage in my left knee. Since both injuries are on the same side of my body, it makes yoga more difficult. Things got so much better after I went to Physical Therapy. And I went from barely being able to stand for more than 15 min, but now I can dance, go on long hikes and have started getting back into yoga!!

It was scary for a while. And I feel so blessed that my body is starting to get back to normal. And I want to continue that flow.

Right now I do Hatha yoga. I like Hatha because it is gentle and I am working on deepen my stretches. I am listening to my body and trying to start slow and build up to heavier weights, when it comes to strength training. 

--I must say, I am very excited to know that so many other people are working on similar exercise goals. And I've found the people on NF to be extremely supportive and awesome overall.    :peaceful:

Hi Absolutezoe, I am not participating in this challenge, but I am in it for the long haul (battle log). ;)

I am doing strength training as well (currently following the 8 week GMB program Integral Strength), which has me working on that 3 - 6 days a week (depending on which week I'm on - starting with week 1 right now).

I have taken a break from yoga for a bit (didn't make it to classes regularly), but it wouldn't hurt if I practiced regularly at home until I can make it back to classes in spring...

What kind of yoga practice do you do? Do you have any favourite videos to follow or do you make up your own practice?

I would also like build a habit of regular stretching / mobility work (mostly hips and legs at the moment, I think), but I could use someone to remind me of that. :)

Is there anything specific we could help you with to keep you accountable and "kick your butt into gear"? :)

How are you doing so far this week? 

Thanks for sharing your battle log, I was able to read some of it. I looked up GMB fitness and I checked out a video on Elements. Here: https://gmb.io/e/ I assume that is what you are talking about on your log? I am so glad you shared the info, I am excited about this... It looks like a fulfilling challenge.

I've just started looking at it and it is amazing. I would like to be able to have that command over my body to be able to do those amazing movements. They make headstands look effortless!

While I'm pretty new to regular yoga, stretching in general and weightlifting are old hats (got up to 2.5xBW Deadlift, which I don't think is too shabby for a guy who isn't a powerlifter).  I've been working primarily with bodyweight strength/endurance as I seem to be able to keep a higher volume of overall work up that way, and I'm more concerned with martial arts and flexibility than improving strength further.  My spouse is very into yoga, and she's had me doing Vinyasa classes 4 days a week (and keeping them going is part of my 1st challenge.)  It's been eye-opening to say the least.

Count me in as an accountabilibuddy or a complainabouthowstiffbuddy. :)

• Like 1

Lvl 4 Mystical Taoist Priest

"All teachings are mere references. The true experience is living your own life. Then, even the holiest of words are only words." - Ming-Dao Deng

Challenge #1 2 3 4

Thanks for sharing your battle log, I was able to read some of it. I looked up GMB fitness and I checked out a video on Elements. Here: https://gmb.io/e/ I assume that is what you are talking about on your log? I am so glad you shared the info, I am excited about this... It looks like a fulfilling challenge.

I've just started looking at it and it is amazing. I would like to be able to have that command over my body to be able to do those amazing movements. They make headstands look effortless!

The folks at GMB are an amazing bunch of people, and I really like the programs they come up with. They work very well for me. 

I have beared, monkeyed and froggered through two rounds of Elements so far, and while I am currently following another programs, I'll surely come back to Elements again. :) 

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

While I'm pretty new to regular yoga, stretching in general and weightlifting are old hats (got up to 2.5xBW Deadlift, which I don't think is too shabby for a guy who isn't a powerlifter).  I've been working primarily with bodyweight strength/endurance as I seem to be able to keep a higher volume of overall work up that way, and I'm more concerned with martial arts and flexibility than improving strength further.  My spouse is very into yoga, and she's had me doing Vinyasa classes 4 days a week (and keeping them going is part of my 1st challenge.)  It's been eye-opening to say the least.

Count me in as an accountabilibuddy or a complainabouthowstiffbuddy. :)

Hi there thanks for offering to be an accountabilibuddy (I need that) and I will take you up on the complainabouthowstiffbuddy part! lol 

Your spouse is getting you to do Vinyasa 4 days a week! That sounds great. Yoga can be challenging when one is first starting out. Or it can be tough to get back into gear when one has been away from it for a decent amount of time like me. How are you liking the classes thus far?

Weight lifting is something I will need to start with baby steps...mostly I want it for strength training. It'd be nice for me to have shiny muscles, but not the goal.

Deadlifting is no joke. That's very impressive.

• Like 1

How are you liking the classes thus far?

I'm loving them.  They're challenging, and oftentimes very hard to do after my normal routines, but I've learned that I can modify the flow to work for my needs day by day.  All in all, it's been a very good learning experience.  

Lvl 4 Mystical Taoist Priest

"All teachings are mere references. The true experience is living your own life. Then, even the holiest of words are only words." - Ming-Dao Deng

Challenge #1 2 3 4