I came. I left. And i return again!

thatBrownCat here!

My story

I created an account here in late 2013/early 2014. 

I created a lot of big promises, which I never fulfilled. 

But I realized it's nice to be in a community with like-minded people-- you're pushed to keep up with them. You become more accountable to yourself. That's why I decided to post here again.

I've been out of shape for the past few months. Everything I've gained when I started to work out in late 2013? It's all gone. 

I stopped going to the gym. I've skipped on doing the simple bodyweight exercises. 

Though for the past week, I've been making little changes in my life - using the stairs more. Helping lift the heavy stuff around the house. I switch my phone/internet off so that I can enjoy the world outside my little room.

I'm 5'4''.my current weight is 54 kg (it's my heaviest). Some people say: "Why do you want to work out? Your body's ok!"

And you know what? Deep inside, I can't tell them that I want to really want to remove the fat around my lower abdomen. I've always had belly fat. I don't drink nor smoke, but I would love to experience how it feels not to be saddled with belly fat. Isn't that good to wish for that?

Plus, watching Ninja Warrior encourages me to go for "functional strength". I'd really want to have a body that will help me in real life. Not just to "look good".

My battle plan

Right now, my plan is simple.

My workout for the week is scheduled like this:

1st day- Run (using Zombies Run App)

2nd Day- Bodyweight exercises at home (pushups, squats, kettlebell swings, kettlebell rows, lifting a pot in lieu of a barbell for deadlifts, planks, hanging on my pull up bar, door knob pull ups

3rd day- stretches

4th day- rest

5th day- run

6th day- bodyweight exercises

7th day- streches

My diet

- drink 1L- 2L a day instead of soda

-refuse soda or caffeinated products, as much as possible

-less rice, 

-eat 2 eggs a day

-learn how to cook

-learn delicious vegetable recipes

-drink 2 glasses of milk daily.

thanks for reading!

• Like 1

Some people say: "Why do you want to work out? Your body's ok!"

Why do 'some people' care what you do if it's in the name of self-improvement?

Good to have you back.  I laughed a bit at "learn to cook" as a goal.  Not sure how you quantify that, but it's a good one to have. :)

• Like 1

Lvl 4 Mystical Taoist Priest

"All teachings are mere references. The true experience is living your own life. Then, even the holiest of words are only words." - Ming-Dao Deng

Challenge #1 2 3 4

Hello, fellow feline! Welcome back!

Good on you for getting back in the saddle! The simple way is the best way. Making it too complicated just saps motivation. Oh, those people who say ''you don't need to do XYZ because you're fine''. Who do they think they are to dictate what you should or shouldn't do? It's your body, it's your decision. You go and transform yourself!

We'll be here to cheer you on if you need it!

Go! Go! Go! cheer10.gif

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Why do 'some people' care what you do if it's in the name of self-improvement?

Good to have you back.  I laughed a bit at "learn to cook" as a goal.  Not sure how you quantify that, but it's a good one to have. :)

Because some people love to give unsolicited opinions? 

ooh, you're right! I should rephrase that to make it quantifiable:

- learn how to hold a knife to cut, slice & dice food

- learn how to control the file to fry, saute and steam food

thank you for your comment!

Hello, fellow feline! Welcome back!

Good on you for getting back in the saddle! The simple way is the best way. Making it too complicated just saps motivation. Oh, those people who say ''you don't need to do XYZ because you're fine''. Who do they think they are to dictate what you should or shouldn't do? It's your body, it's your decision. You go and transform yourself!

We'll be here to cheer you on if you need it!

Go! Go! Go! cheer10.gif

thank you too fellow feline!

yes, I guess they're just expressing their opinions! Opinions are free to give after all, right?

And yes, it is my body. I have control over what I do with it (as long as its safe and healthy).

thank you for the support!

Opinions are one thing, but... I suppose those comments come after you tell them your plans? Then it's not just an opinion they're voicing. They're invalidating you. They probably don't realize that's what they're doing, but there it is all the same.

Imagine this scenario:

You: I want to become a lawyer!

Them: You don't need to do that. You make enough money.

See what I mean? It would be weird if somebody shot down your ambitions for a new career based on the assumption that you just wanted to make more money. In fact it would be a passive aggressive way of calling you greedy. That's what they're doing in regards to your fitness project. They assume it comes from vanity or insecurity. So they're either calling you vain, or trying to assuage your insecurity when your motivation can be neither.

I would suggest, if you hear someone making such a comment, to reply thus:

Them: You look fine!

You: Well, I want to look great! So there! 

Or something like that. :D

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Opinions are one thing, but... I suppose those comments come after you tell them your plans? Then it's not just an opinion they're voicing. They're invalidating you. They probably don't realize that's what they're doing, but there it is all the same.

Imagine this scenario:

You: I want to become a lawyer!

Them: You don't need to do that. You make enough money.

See what I mean? It would be weird if somebody shot down your ambitions for a new career based on the assumption that you just wanted to make more money. In fact it would be a passive aggressive way of calling you greedy. That's what they're doing in regards to your fitness project. They assume it comes from vanity or insecurity. So they're either calling you vain, or trying to assuage your insecurity when your motivation can be neither.

I would suggest, if you hear someone making such a comment, to reply thus:

Them: You look fine!

You: Well, I want to look great! So there! 

Or something like that. :D

Invalidation. 

That's an interesting point, now that you mentioned it!

My fitness goal isn't the only one being invalidated. 

Like this one:

Me: "I'm selling coffee and biscuits to augment my income."

Them: "what? But you come from a rich family!"

They assume I'm rich because my mother is the head of a government agency, but experience and a couple of financial bloggers like Mr. Money Mustache have made me realize that to be rich/wealthy does not equal income).

The truth is, I like to sell because I like the feeling! I came from a background where almost everything was handed to me on a silver platter. Sure, there were moments where I had to work hard for something, but most of the time, it wasn't. 

That sort of upbringing doesn't cultivate in you the confidence you see in people who will really push for what they want. 

Selling was a really big thing for me. I wasn't sure if people would buy what I had to offer (like biscuits and coffee at work), heck I was too shy to tell my officemates that I sold food!

Nowadays, I feel better and a little more confident than before. 

Though I've had a handful of friends who are more supportive and therapeutic!