Sara Kingdom is the Patrician of Ankh-Monkpork

sarakingdom

I'm not very excited about another challenge with a vague set of Avatar gifs. I've been getting into Pratchett lately, and I've been considering a Discworld-themed challenge for next time... and just decided I was bored, and was going to do it this time and next time.

It is not hard to figure out who Discworld's most prominent aikido practitioner is, and this is good news for people with a certain fondness for intellectual rigor and ruling their own city-state absolutely, by which I mean me:

At which point, someone tried to slap Vetinari on the back. It happened with remarkable speed, and ended possibly even faster than it began, with Vetinari still seated in his chair, with his beer mug in one hand and the man's wrist gripped tightly at head height.

(Wrist grabs, timed interceptions, and alcohol consumption all seem to play heavily into aikido. You would not believe how many classes I've been to that contain the words, "So you're hanging out in a bar, minding your own business...") 

Lord_Vetinari.jpg

Yes, Lord Vetinari, former member of the Guild of Assassins and current Patrician of Ankh-Morpork, a man who rules the city under the maxim, "One Man, One Vote" - he is the man, and his is the vote. You'd think this makes him the villain of the piece, but as he seems to be just about the only person in Ankh-Morpork afflicted by things like a conscience or sense of public duty, that turns out to be surprisingly far from the truth.

It occurred to him that this was an extremely dangerous thing and he might probably have to have someone killed one day, although it would be with extreme reluctance. (On his part, that is. Their reluctance probably goes without saying.)

Yes, totally far from the truth.

"I'm sure no one could call me a despot, your reverence," said Lord Vetinari severely.

Hughnon Ridcully made a misjudged attempted to lighten the mood. "Not twice at any rate, ahahah."

Totally unclear how anyone could form that impression.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

By and large, this challenge is going to be similar to the one I had planned, with points accrued for beneficial things done - but also with four focused goals, most of which are small tweaks.

All Control Starts With the Self
And then you realized that power was a bauble. Any thug had power. The true prize was control. Lord Vetinari knew that. When heavy weights were balanced on the scales, the trick was to know where to place your thumb.

And all control started with the self.

I read Kelly McGonnigal's book on willpower recently, and there are a few good tie-ins for an NF challenge. There are some actions that studies show increase willpower, and meditation is one of them. Meditation is also a habit I want to make stronger for ADHD reasons. Time to turn my haphazard practice into an actual regular, accountable practice, so I can hit two birds with one stone. Five minutes a day, first thing in the morning after getting up. (Next challenge, this will transition to sleep. That's the next big target I need to hit.)

For the first week (week 2), "as soon as I sit down at the computer and see the reminder" will be close enough to "as soon as I get up".

If You Can Stand the Excitement
It was exasperating. He appeared to have no vice that anyone could discover. You'd have thought, with that pale, equine face, that he'd incline towards stuff with whips, needles and young women in dungeons. The other lords could have accepted that. Nothing wrong with whips and needles, in moderation. But the Patrician apparently spent his evenings studying reports and, on special occasions, if he could stand the excitement, playing chess.

I need some better time management on my work. I don't have a really good plan for this one yet - I need to identify a good keystone habit to work on this challenge.  My working days are not well-managed, and I've hit a bad patch here, so I need to put in some effort fixing it.

Know What's Going to Happen
A great many rulers, good and bad and quite often dead, know what happened; a rare few actually manage, by dint of much effort, to know what's happening. Lord Vetinari considered both types to lack ambition.

I've been too overwhelmed to make plans for certain future things I need to take care of. I'm going to start very small this challenge, and just log the days I spend some time on it, even if that's just sitting and planning for a few minutes.

Learn the Words
It was said that he would tolerate absolutely anything apart from anything that threatened the city (And mime artists. It was a strange aversion, but there you are. Anyone in baggy trousers and a white face who tried to ply their art anywhere within Ankh's crumbling walls would very quickly find themselves in a scorpion pit, on one wall of which was painted the advice: Learn The Words.)

Just a fun one, really. Duolingo. German. Learn the words.

• Like 7

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Oooh, a Pratchett one! It's totally on my list for things to set a challenge on, but then there weren't enough pretty pictures. But using quotes is actually a really cool idea! I once read all of his Discworld books in a month, and I had a massive headache by the end of it, and couldn't separate the book events, but it was great and I couldn't get enough of his writing! I love all the characters, but I have to say that Granny Weatherwax is probably my favourite.

Panda  

Hobbit | Drifter | Level 3

STR 6 | DEX 5 | STA 2 | CON 5 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Training | Challenge 1 2 3 4 | Epic Quest

Oooh, a Pratchett one! It's totally on my list for things to set a challenge on, but then there weren't enough pretty pictures. But using quotes is actually a really cool idea! I once read all of his Discworld books in a month, and I had a massive headache by the end of it, and couldn't separate the book events, but it was great and I couldn't get enough of his writing! I love all the characters, but I have to say that Granny Weatherwax is probably my favourite.

I have a small cache of pretty pictures, mostly from the Going Postal TV movie.  I'm rationing myself.  But the quotes will do for now.  (I might do Hogfather next December, too.  The effects are a little dated, but it's a genius book and it's hard to go wrong with Death dressed as Santa.)

I'm not reading them that quickly, because I'm using them for my bedtime reading, but I just did Unseen Academicals, Soul Music, and Hogfather in pretty quick succession.  I haven't read a lot of the witches books yet, but I understand from friends that Granny Weatherwax is basically the best character ever, in anything.

• Like 1

Nice. I like the look of this challenge. It's basically all life stuff, but that's okay. Those challenges, when successful, tend to put one in a way better place than they were before.

Yeah, it seemed like the time to push through some of these little life and setup tasks I wanted to get done was now, while I was largely on a recovery challenge.  So that's also partly why I pushed it up to this month - I'm hoping next month will have more physical challenge, and less, "geeze, can I even walk properly today".

Following, because Prachett books are awesome.  Also, the revamp on the goals looks good. 

Thanks!  I figured NF could use a little Pratchett love, and it's a bit of fun for a challenge that was struggling for a direction. :)

I'm completely oblivious with the Pratchett thing, but after reading your excerpts I am also extremely interested.

Great new challenge focus. Always a good decision to go with what motivates you. Boredom is indeed a bad life choice.

~Arrowan

Human, Adventurer 

Level 4

STR 9/ DEX 6/ STA 15/CON 8/WIS 16/CHA 7

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang 

except those that sang best." -Henry Van Dyke

I'm completely oblivious with the Pratchett thing, but after reading your excerpts I am also extremely interested.

Great new challenge focus. Always a good decision to go with what motivates you. Boredom is indeed a bad life choice.

Terry Pratchett's very worth reading, and I say that as someone who took some time to get into him and is far from his qualified to be his greatest advocate.  He's one of the modern fantasy greats, and an all-around very decent human being, by all accounts.  He wrote very humane, very wry humorous fantasy books, all set in the same world.  Some of them focus mainly on the old-fashioned wizard university in Ankh-Morpork, some on the police force and criminal underworld in Ankh-Morpork, some on a group of witches in another region, and some on the Grim Reaper and his granddaughter Susan.  At their best, they're really pretty profound about the inventiveness of humanity and about human nature, the good, the bad, and the gently ridiculous.

(Vetinari is going to look more openly cynical than the rest of the books, because he's the dangerous Machiavellian dictator. The joke is that he's also the most civilized, fair, incorruptible, and downright competent person around, and single-handedly keeps the city from descending into the total anarchy it richly deserves.)

• Like 1

Week 2: Day 1

"I see you're very comfortable here," said Vimes weakly.

"Never build a dungeon you wouldn't be happy to spend the night in yourself,' said the Patrician, laying out the food on the cloth. 'The world would be a happier place if more people remembered that."

Fitness Points

• +5 hours of sleep (not a life choice fail, though, so no penalty)
  • +2 liters of water
  • +5 ukemi
  • +5 meditation
  • +1 gentle injury exercise

Life Points

• +X All Control Starts With the Self (morning routine)
  • +0 If You Can Stand the Excitement (time management)
  • +0 Know What's Going to Happen (log planning)
  • +2 Learn the Words (Duolinguo)

Total: 20 points

• Like 3

Nice! Good luck with the updated goals. I know nothing of Pratchett, but I do know the name and that he was quite prolific. Is there a particular book to start with? Something considered his classic work? 

I like the level-up-your-life focus. I think I may do something like that eventually. I want to make some life/career changes and need to start taking steps toward that. Soon. 

Get well soon! 

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. - Calvin Coolidge (OG MOTIVATOR)

CURRENT CHALLENGE

I'm not reading them that quickly, because I'm using them for my bedtime reading, but I just did Unseen Academicals, Soul Music, and Hogfather in pretty quick succession.  I haven't read a lot of the witches books yet, but I understand from friends that Granny Weatherwax is basically the best character ever, in anything.

This. Truth. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Nice! Good luck with the updated goals. I know nothing of Pratchett, but I do know the name and that he was quite prolific. Is there a particular book to start with? Something considered his classic work?

I'm not an expert in Pratchetty things, so Chris or Girl-Meet-World or Urgan might have better answers for you, but my understanding is that Guards! Guards! is where people generally start saying he's really hit his stride and started turning out books everyone recommends.  So Guards! Guards! or Men at Arms, maybe?

I just read Hogfather for Christmas (it's his Christmas book), and it was amazingly good, one of the best things I've read in a few years, but I suspect it benefitted from knowing a little about the world, so I wouldn't start with it.   I also wouldn't start with his very earliest books, they're acquired tastes... a lot of people, me included, never acquired a taste for them.  (His first book or two are pretty shallow parodies of fantasy lit, and by the time he gets to Guards! Guards!, he's doing something a lot richer, a very convincing and well-written world built out of bits of myth and story and real-world history.)

• Like 2

I like the level-up-your-life focus. I think I may do something like that eventually. I want to make some life/career changes and need to start taking steps toward that. Soon. 

Get well soon! 

I'm not an expert in Pratchetty things, so Chris or Girl-Meet-World or Urgan might have better answers for you, but my understanding is that Guards! Guards! is where people generally start saying he's really hit his stride and started turning out books everyone recommends.  So Guards! Guards! or Men at Arms, maybe?

I just read Hogfather for Christmas (it's his Christmas book), and it was amazingly good, one of the best things I've read in a few years, but I suspect it benefitted from knowing a little about the world, so I wouldn't start with it.   I also wouldn't start with his very earliest books, they're acquired tastes... a lot of people, me included, never acquired a taste for them.  (His first book or two are pretty shallow parodies of fantasy lit, and by the time he gets to Guards! Guards!, he's doing something a lot richer, a very convincing and well-written world built out of bits of myth and story and real-world history.)

FWIW, I started with Going Postal and followed up with Pyramids. All the books following the witches, Making Money, Hogfather, and The Truth were particularly memorable. Postal, Money, and Truth all follow the premise of taking a decrepit institution and making it a thriving operation. Who does it is the great joke of the book. Lots of time with Vetinari, too, which is a bonus.  

• Like 1

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Is there a particular book to start with?

I would actually start with one of the spin off series, A Hat Full Of Sky, as its three books that I keep on revisiting. Other than that, going from the start is quite dry, I would agree. Monstrous Regiment is quite a good stand-alone, and I don't think you need much knowledge of the world. I just love his books for their satire and social commentary hidden in really good fictional writing. But the other recommendations are also really good, especially Hogfather.

• Like 1

Panda  

Hobbit | Drifter | Level 3

STR 6 | DEX 5 | STA 2 | CON 5 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Training | Challenge 1 2 3 4 | Epic Quest

FWIW, I started with Going Postal and followed up with Pyramids. All the books following the witches, Making Money, Hogfather, and The Truth were particularly memorable. Postal, Money, and Truth all follow the premise of taking a decrepit institution and making it a thriving operation. Who does it is the great joke of the book. Lots of time with Vetinari, too, which is a bonus.  

I have Going Postal coming from the library soon, but I'm halfway through the TV movie and it is amazeballs.  (It helps that I have a secret fondness for the post office and the telegraph system.)  I also really enjoyed most of Unseen Academicals, which seems to be a controversial one, because not everyone can get into the soccer element.  Vetinari is always a nice bonus in the Ankh-Morpork books.  Just a secondary character, but a very prominent one.

The books do all have some continuity, but seem to work really well as stand-alones, so you can probably dip in at will anywhere among the mid or later books.  At least, that's what I'm doing. :)

I have Going Postal coming from the library soon, but I'm halfway through the TV movie and it is amazeballs.  (It helps that I have a secret fondness for the post office and the telegraph system.)  I also really enjoyed most of Unseen Academicals, which seems to be a controversial one, because not everyone can get into the soccer element.  Vetinari is always a nice bonus in the Ankh-Morpork books.  Just a secondary character, but a very prominent one.

The books do all have some continuity, but seem to work really well as stand-alones, so you can probably dip in at will anywhere among the mid or later books.  At least, that's what I'm doing. :)

I liked Unseen Academicals in spite of the soccer...it didn't get in the way of the story for me. 

Truth. I feel no issues with advising newcomers to just grab whichever book strikes your fancy.

I would actually start with one of the spin off series, A Hat Full Of Sky, as its three books that I keep on revisiting. Other than that, going from the start is quite dry, I would agree. Monstrous Regiment is quite a good stand-alone, and I don't think you need much knowledge of the world. I just love his books for their satire and social commentary hidden in really good fictional writing. But the other recommendations are also really good, especially Hogfather.

I've heard great things about the Tiffany Aching books and about Monstrous Regiment, but I'm not sure they're where I'd recommend a guy get into the series.  Greatly beloved by Pratchett fans (including the men), but I think it's a tough sell to hand a guy the spinoff YA books about a teenage witch as their first introduction. :)  I'm guessing Action is probably a Night Watch kind of guy, followed maybe by Death or Moist von Lipwig.

(I am so looking forward to Monstrous Regiment.  It's not YA about a teenage witch, but what an amazing premise.)

• Like 1

I've heard great things about the Tiffany Aching books and about Monstrous Regiment, but I'm not sure they're where I'd recommend a guy get into the series.  Greatly beloved by Pratchett fans (including the men), but I think it's a tough sell to hand a guy the spinoff YA books about a teenage witch as their first introduction. :)  I'm guessing Action is probably a Night Watch kind of guy, followed maybe by Death or Moist von Lipwig.

(I am so looking forward to Monstrous Regiment.  It's not YA about a teenage witch, but what an amazing premise.)

I'd find it to be a follow-up to the books he wrote previously about the witches. Helps establish what Tiffany's getting into anyway, lol. Yeah, those were all great....are you seeing a trend yet?? Dry start on the first two books...READ ALL THE OTHERS. Then the drier books.  

I liked Unseen Academicals in spite of the soccer...it didn't get in the way of the story for me. 

Yeah, it was very much using it as a way to talk about the social pressures on the working class.  It was a very sharp book.  There was a very small thread of the Nutt subplot I wasn't sure about, but I think it was sorted out correctly in the end.

• Like 2

I love the Pratchett theme. The Patrician is a fine character to emulate.

For reading order, it helps to think of the Discworld book as several different series set in the same world. Some characters show up in books outside their main series (like Death). Within each series it helps to read in chronological order. The first books are:

• City Watch - Guards, Guards!
  • Death - Mort
  • Witches - Equal Rites
  • Tiffany Aching - Wee Free Men (the YA novels)
  • Rincewind - The Colour of Magic (first book of the whole set, but not a good place to start)

I've read most but not all of them. I'm saving the remaining ones for when I need something to cheer me up. I highly recommend the audiobooks. Some of the jokes depend on hearing the dialog.

Level 54  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

For reading order, it helps to think of the Discworld book as several different series set in the same world. Some characters show up in books outside their main series (like Death). Within each series it helps to read in chronological order. The first books are:

• City Watch - Guards, Guards!
  • Death - Mort
  • Witches - Equal Rites
  • Tiffany Aching - Wee Free Men (the YA novels)
  • Rincewind - The Colour of Magic (first book of the whole set, but not a good place to start)
I've read most but not all of them. I'm saving the remaining ones for when I need something to cheer me up. I highly recommend the audiobooks. Some of the jokes depend on hearing the dialog.

The audiobooks definitely helped me get into Pratchett.  I struggled with my first few books and put him aside to try again one day, and the audio made the difference.  And it probably does get in the habit of hearing his writing aloud when you read it, because there is some wordplay in there that depends on the sound.  ("He didn't administer a reign of terror, just the occasional light shower.")

I think you're right on it being helpful to view them as series.  He eases people gently into the continuity for each book, but I can't swear that Mort and Soul Music didn't help me appreciate Hogfather, because purely by accident I did read those in order.  (Though, actually, getting a sense of the chaos of Ankh-Morpork helped for Hogfather, too, because it helps understand how skewed that book actually is.)

I think there might be another series in there in the later books, a series about the civic institutions of Ankh-Morpork, like the university, the post office, the working class neighborhoods.  They're not Night Watch books and they're not quite standalones like Monstrous Regiment, but you get a lot of Ridcully and Moist and how the city runs.

I am annoyingly congested, after having just got over being sick a couple of weeks ago.  I don't think I'm coming down with anything, but, grrrrr, the winter congestion.  I'm trying to drink ALL the fluids to get rid of it.  It also made meditation a misery, but I did it.  Not at the right time, though, so no Patrician point for that one.

Also, I got in a little ukemi practice, for those keeping an eye on me after last week's basic ukemi fail.  Not quite enough padding on that carpet, I'm going to need to work up to longer ukemi periods.  I think my knobbly bits will start getting used to that surface, the more I do it.  Still pretty good instincts, though impatience is not my friend when I'm doing back rolls.  Rush it, and I have a sloppy roll.

• Like 1

Breakfalling/rolling on floating-plank flooring is an...interesting proposal. These things are challenges we must address, even if that address is to say "you'll get used to it"...lol. I'm very interested to hear about your progress. 

• Like 1