• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
brendaisbored

Brenda's Journal

So, I'm joining in. I'll admit, it's a little intimidating to do this. I'm not just a few pounds away from where I need to be; 28 days isn't going to solve my problem and putting it all out there is embarrassing. However, I've come a long way already (80 lbs down, 140 to go). I have to own up to the fact I got myself here and now I'm working my way on getting out of this lifestyle.

I haven't been home since reading the blog post so a photo and full measurements will follow.

My goals for the month:

1. Lose 8 pounds

2. Workout at least three times a week (doing the

twice a week)

I know I can't currently complete the full circuit. I'll post after my first one exactly how much I can do. I want to improve (and possible even complete the full workout) by the end of the month.

Current weight: 296.5

While I haven't been posting here, I have been keeping a paper journal. It's easier for me to jot down my info in there and put it here when I have a minute. For working as a web geek for an ecommerce company, I have surprising little free time online.

Tuesday 3/2:

Measurements

Weight 297.2

Waist: 54

Hips: 59

Bicep: 16.5

Thigh: 26 3/4

No working out but I spent the day at a shoot so a lot of moving equipment and such instead of being behind a desk.

A photo of where I'm starting. It isn't pretty:

Posted Image

Wednesday 3/3: Weight 297

Did the Beginner Body Weight Circuit and it officialy kicked my ass. I couldn't get through the whole thing.

What I did do: (first circuit, second circuit)

Squats: 10,10

Push ups: 5,5

Lunges: 10,8

Rows: 10,10 (although I think I need something heavier...all I had handy was a bowling pin)

Plank: 5,7

Jumping Jacks: 15,8

Clearly I have a long way to go. Walking down stairs was/is painful after that work out so I obviously don't use certain muscle groups nearly enough.

I'll do it again on Saturday, trying to do one more of each in both circuits. Hopefully by the end of the month I can start even doing the third circuit. By the end I had completely run out of gas. They were the most pathetic jumping jacks I've ever seen.

Today 3/4: Weight 296.6

I'll be doing cardio for 40 minutes tonight after work. Going out to the midnight release of Alice in Wonderland in 3D with a group of friends. Will avoid the movie popcorn & candy which won't be too hard since I don't want to spend $30+ to see a movie anyway.

Hey Brenda!

First of all, congrats on your previous success...don't look at it like you need to get everything done in 28 days, just look at these 28 days as a way for you to really hold yourself accountable (along with the 40+ people around you on these boards).

You're doing great, and you're absolutely on the right path. Take it one day at a time, and just try to be better today than you were yesterday.

We're pulling for ya.

-Steve

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, I really appreciate it :)

I didn't get to work out as much as I'd hoped on Thursday (only got 20 minutes in) but at least I did something. Friday was a bust work out wise but I did eat well.

Saturday I did The Workout (yes, it's now on my list of things that deserves capital letters) and was able to improve upon my previous numbers for the most part.

What I did: (first circuit, second circuit)

Squats: 11,11

Push ups: 6,6

Lunges: 12,10

Rows: 10,10 (moved up to my amp, which was slightly heavier)

Plank: 8,5

Jumping Jacks: 11,15

Unlike Wednesday when I did this, I was able to walk down stairs without feeling like my legs were going to give out, so that has to be an improvement.

Sunday was a day off. My friend surprised me with BBQ from my favorite restaurant which I spread out over two meals instead of one, but it's still not the best choice for nutrition. However, it was dang good. :)

It seems I've become the unofficial workout motivator at work. I was telling a couple of coworkers about The Workout and we decided to post a little note with things you can do to get the blood pumping (http://twitpic.com/16rpvk). I've now had to demonstrate the different parts several times. So, while not truly working out yesterday, I ran through it (slowly and partially) at least twice yesterday.

This morning I got on the scale and it read 298. Not happy about that. However, I took my measurements today and they've mostly gone down so I guess I can't really complain.

Waist: 53

Hips: 58.5

Bicep: 15.75

Thigh: 28

I also did The Workout this morning:

Squats: 12,12

Push ups: 7,7

Lunges: 12,12

Rows: 10,10 (Finally got a real weight, 15 lb kettlebell)

Plank: 8,8

Jumping Jacks: 15,15

Although, I don't think I'll be able to increase next time. I could barely get off the floor after the last plank and the jumping jacks were more like pathetic zombie shuffles.

So, weight hasn't done anything good...but I feel better and clothes are looser. I have to keep that in perspective and not let the scale get me down. I really want to break out of the 290's before the end of the month though.

Thanks Suse, I'm feeling positive about this whole process, so hopefully I'll get there :)

I haven't been working out exactly, although Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights I went for a bike ride. It was a lot of fun, I haven't been on a bike in at least 5 years. It was great to be able ride for a while again. My roommate strapped on his roller blades and we rode around the neighborhood for at least 20 minutes each night.

Unfortunately, it's supposed to rain all day today so no bike ride. However, I told my roommate about The Workout and he thinks a great idea so we have tentative plans tomorrow morning to run though it together. I'm not sure how I feel about it since he's in fairly decent shape and I'm, well, not. But, having someone to work out with will definitely make sure I don't skip out on it.

The scale read 295 this morning. Moving in the right direction again. Tomorrow I'll measure and see how it's going.

Worked out this morning, although my roommate bailed on me. It's okay though, I feel a little like an idiot when working out since I can barely do the darn thing.

Today's workout:

Squats: 13,13

Push ups: 8,8

Lunges: 12,12

Rows: 10,10

Plank: 8,8

Jumping Jacks: 16,16

Weighed in at 295.2 today. Hope the scale will go down tomorrow.

Feeling okay after the workout, I'm going to try a new one tomorrow in addition to this one. Today will be spent in front of a computer catching up on work and then heading out with a friend to play some Magic. Yay for being a geek. :)

Checking in for the day:

Weight 293.9

Waist: 52

Hips: 57.5

Bicep: 16

Thigh: 28

Today's workout:

Squats: 14,14

Push ups: 9,9

Lunges: 12,12 (trying to get my form right on these, I don't think I'm doing them properly)

Rows: 10,10

Plank: 8,9

Jumping Jacks: 17,17

Randomly ran into one of my best friends from high school whom I haven't seen in almost a year and he was shocked at the difference. I have to admit, it's nice to hear. It's such a slow transition that I sometimes forget how far I've already come.

I also had one of those light bulb moments that make you see your life from a different viewpoint.

The Biggest Loser is doing a casting call about 15 minutes from my house. I had been planning on going. I mean, I'm a fat girl that needs to lose weight. Why not try to win money while doing it. Seeing the before and after photos of the contestants makes me want that. I want to be healthy, I want to have a great after photo.

But the other night I was thinking about it and it occurred to me that if I got on the show, I'd be away from friends and family for several months. While I'd get to my goal weight a lot faster, I'd also miss out on a lot more.

I feel secure enough in my current weight loss that I don't NEED to be isolated from Real Life to get to my end goal.

That's when the light bulb went on.

I'm going to get there. This journey, while a long long road, will take me where I want to go. I'm doing this. I'm no longer at the bottom of my health crisis with no way out. I see an end. And while I'm on my way, I'll continue to live and love life.

I wish I could say I've continued to lose a lot of weight and perform at 100% of what I wanted to last week.

Alas, I can not.

Today's weight: 296.8

Call it a speed bump, bout of depression, Real Life getting in the way or whatever...I just kinda sucked last week. I rode my bike several times (and just bought a new one yesterday) and worked out on Saturday. However, it seems my calorie intake was bad.

The worst part is, I can only pick out two days that I ate poorly; Friday and Sunday. And by poorly, they weren't even that bad. For example: Friday I had a banana and granola bar for breakfast, salad for lunch, cottage cheese for a snack and then a turkey burger and fries (bad part) for dinner.

Part of me wonders if I'd been eating too few calories earlier in the week so when I did eat poorly, my body hung on to everything.

So this week I've decided to attempt two things: track every single thing I consume & try to eat as close to Paleo as I can.

I'll be using the Sparkpeople app on my phone as it's with me 24/7; so no excuses for forgetting to write something down. I've been interested in Paleo eating for a while. My plan had been to ease into it which is what I need to do for the long run. However, this week I want to keep the idea of fresh/healthy food in the front of my mind all the time. I've been eating fairly healthy for a while now, but I think sticking closer to that food list will help me eliminate some things I may not even realize have been creeping into my diet. I'll see how this week goes and decide from there just how hard of a transition it will be. If it's a huge divergence from what I normally consume, I'll step back and slowly work my way into it.

I wish I could say I've continued to lose a lot of weight and perform at 100% of what I wanted to last week.

Alas, I can not.

Today's weight: 296.8

Call it a speed bump, bout of depression, Real Life getting in the way or whatever...I just kinda sucked last week. I rode my bike several times (and just bought a new one yesterday) and worked out on Saturday. However, it seems my calorie intake was bad.

The worst part is, I can only pick out two days that I ate poorly; Friday and Sunday. And by poorly, they weren't even that bad. For example: Friday I had a banana and granola bar for breakfast, salad for lunch, cottage cheese for a snack and then a turkey burger and fries (bad part) for dinner.

Part of me wonders if I'd been eating too few calories earlier in the week so when I did eat poorly, my body hung on to everything.

So this week I've decided to attempt two things: track every single thing I consume & try to eat as close to Paleo as I can.

I'll be using the Sparkpeople app on my phone as it's with me 24/7; so no excuses for forgetting to write something down. I've been interested in Paleo eating for a while. My plan had been to ease into it which is what I need to do for the long run. However, this week I want to keep the idea of fresh/healthy food in the front of my mind all the time. I've been eating fairly healthy for a while now, but I think sticking closer to that food list will help me eliminate some things I may not even realize have been creeping into my diet. I'll see how this week goes and decide from there just how hard of a transition it will be. If it's a huge divergence from what I normally consume, I'll step back and slowly work my way into it.

Stick with it Brenda! You can absolutely do this.

-Steve

yes brenda, I second Steve. I was going to post on your journal today as its been a while and I wondered how you were going. So remember there are people out here in never-never land who are hopeful for your progress.

I too am going to start eating paleo (primal) and I'm sort of doing it a little bit now but with cheats. I've noticed some weight loss which is good but I've still got my jelly belly. But I'm convinced giving up the grains and sugars is the answer.

Keep posting.

Sign in to follow this