Oh nice! I just purchased a bag about that size but had been drooling over leather weekender bags :) Good job using the fabric you have! I'm a total fabric hoarder but in the next year I want to use all my fabrics to make things for myself and reduce my clutter. 

Ugh, yes. It's kind of a struggle... I TRY not to buy something if I have something similar! Plus now, and this is a blessing and a curse, ,y parents recently retired and closed their shop - my mom was a childrens wear designer, my dad ran the factory. Long story short, I took whatever fabric they had lying around that I thought I could use. Sooooo.... yeah. I've got a lot of stuff to get through. Probably have a yard sale this spring...

I'd love to see that formal top!

One of the main reasons I sew is because my body is shaped so wrong for current fashions (or fashions are all wrong, however you want to play that game).  Generally they are created for women whose torsos and hips are slim.  Mine are not.  I am small busted and hippy and tall, I have a short waist but a long lower torso, and longer than average legs.  So what that means is that stuff just fits wierd!!  Being able to sew my own garments has been a huge help.  It's also fun to go to thrift stores looking for fabrics.  Buy something that's a few sizes too big,. take it apart and then use the fabric for something else!

Buying clothes is the worst. For men, S/M/L/XL... it's just a bunch of rectangles in different sizes! But lady bits come in so many variables. If we can't tailor well to ourselves, it's just a crap shoot out there! Not that I totally blame the designers, there's just no way to make something work for every type of omen's bodies.

I'm going to do a muslin of a vintage vogue halter I may block the top from. (though in my craft room, muslin = old fat quarters lol.) Will post progress!! We shall see... I have so very much practice to do!

It's weird, I get better overall results if I draft my own patterns, but I don't really know good techniques for finishing with wovens/straight machine, so I'm trying to follow these commercial patterns to see how they suggest things, but it kinda just makes me mad! The instructions are crazy...

I've been working on a loveseat for a while, finally got the back and sides finished enough that I could do a dry fit and see the final form, yay! I'll take a good pic once I'm a little further and have a few more joints finished. The end is in sight. Just about every square inch of this thing is hand carved.

Here's where I was late last week:

87c9268e-f38d-4408-bf36-af8d04a45661_zps

I've got the back finished and top joints done, held together with clamps at the moment. All I have left to do is a few more joints (bottom of the back, front stretcher, make 'em, glue 'em, smooth 'em), make the seat support, then final sanding and finishing.

Its kind of a copy of a well known Danish modern design, though that version only came in full size sofa and chair, and only came in teak, walnut, or beech, and I'm making a loveseat and using cherry (some very unusual and highly figured pieces I came across).

But I'm planning on doing it all, which means I need to buy a sewing machine and some fabric, dig into some tutorials and youtube vids and learn to make box cushions. I picked the design because basic box cushions seemed to be the easiest into to upholstery. I think I've settled on a machine to get; a cheap(ish) basic Singer that is noted to be powerful enough for upholstery work. Running a sewing machine can't be THAT different than a bandsaw?

• Like 3

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Ya! Thank you! And good luck to you in your journey! May we all be sewing a few sizes down ;)

A weekender is a travel bag good for a few days away, this is the one I modeled the pattern after, but I'm putting in a zillion more pockets! Also, I would love this mustard color stuff, but I have a bolt of heavy denim I should use up, so blue it is.

How long does it take to make something like that?

I desparately need a new gym bag and can't find anything right. Maybe when I'm done with this loveseat I'll give something like that a try.

Need to figure out something that isn't an epic several month marathon to work on next.

• Like 1

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I've been working on a loveseat for a while, finally got the back and sides finished enough that I could do a dry fit and see the final form, yay! I'll take a good pic once I'm a little further and have a few more joints finished. The end is in sight. Just about every square inch of this thing is hand carved.

Here's where I was late last week:

87c9268e-f38d-4408-bf36-af8d04a45661_zps

I've got the back finished and top joints done, held together with clamps at the moment. All I have left to do is a few more joints (bottom of the back, front stretcher, make 'em, glue 'em, smooth 'em), make the seat support, then final sanding and finishing.

Its kind of a copy of a well known Danish modern design, though that version only came in full size sofa and chair, and only came in teak, walnut, or beech, and I'm making a loveseat and using cherry (some very unusual and highly figured pieces I came across).

But I'm planning on doing it all, which means I need to buy a sewing machine and some fabric, dig into some tutorials and youtube vids and learn to make box cushions. I picked the design because basic box cushions seemed to be the easiest into to upholstery. I think I've settled on a machine to get; a cheap(ish) basic Singer that is noted to be powerful enough for upholstery work. Running a sewing machine can't be THAT different than a bandsaw?

I love that you're doing all this and the carving by hand. It's also an attractive photo, too.

Yes, box cushions are the easiest. Buy a pattern at the fabric store, and look to simplicity first. Their pattern instructions are the most straightforward.

sent from my tiny particle accelerator

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

Update on the White Queen. I've assembled the inner strength layer (the colorful sections) and the outer layer (the pretty cream brocade). Next is making the somewhat boring lining layer, which is just a simple sage green twill.

acefc91f55224a5569c3759d3622688e.jpg

20cab1b86e551488f7c7c493c7a06d00.jpg

• Like 2

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

I pinned it to my dress form and padded out the hip so you can get a better idea.

Gorgeous!!!!!

Does anyone have any patterns they particularly like for a cell phone arm band? Fabric recommendations? I would love to use up some of these fat quarters I have lying around...

• Like 1

I don't but that's a great question!

Yeah, everything I'm seeing on pinterest seems to involve cutting up old athletic socks (yawn!) I guess I'll do some sketching and experimenting! I like the idea of a fabric strap with velcro instead of elastic, once that dent gets into my skin it takes hours to disappear!

• Like 1

Just a thought based on a question I posted in the women's forum - does anyone make their own workout gear? I could use some pants that aren't leggings.

Also - tried a temporary cell phone arm band solution - I hated the weight and lopsidedness on my arm so alas, I won't be exploring that bit of craft further.

I did just get some pretty outdoors fabric to make new seats and backs for a pair of directors chairs we have on the deck! Getting some outdoors thread today and will post updates :)

• Like 2

Read through a bunch of this but maybe I skipped it -anyone do mini landscapes? I saw someone did models for trains in this thread and that little house was awesome.  I'm trying to make an entire world.  I have a basic layout that I want to use but I might run into snags and have questions. I have some materials and ideas.  I'm going to be crafting on a big piece of particle-board as the world base.  I have some small acrylic paints (any info on brand/type in this regard would be helpful), and I'm going to be using cardboard, balsa, rocks, legos, some plastic ferns, some 'actual' miniature crafting things (like a roll of fake grass), and I'm going to be grabbing some cheap green spices.  I also don't know if this would work at all, but you know that fluffy lint that you take off of your drier when you clean the lint trap?  It looks like if I ripped that into smaller chunks and painted it, it could make random foliage.

I guess I'm just looking for any other tips/tricks/material ideas for what I'm doing since I'm just starting out. The world is going to have every type of terrain: mountains, snow, swamp, forest, desert, and some rivers (no idea what to do for water in this instance).

Currently, I'm only in my planning phase. I took the washer/drier room which was used as storage and shifted all of it into a small closet, basically freeing up 3/4 of a small room. I'll be making this my craft corner.

You can see the black on the side is the open door and my arms are open to show the dimension of the room. It's rectangular and this is the shorter width. Opposite end of me is the washer/drier.

I did the priming and 1 coat of paint already so within the next day or 2, it should be usable for working on projects.  I also left a big square on the wall unpainted because I got a tiny can of that chalkboard paint so I can have a big brainstorming board to jot down notes on.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Teros said:

Read through a bunch of this but maybe I skipped it -anyone do mini landscapes? I saw someone did models for trains in this thread and that little house was awesome.  I'm trying to make an entire world.  I have a basic layout that I want to use but I might run into snags and have questions. I have some materials and ideas.  I'm going to be crafting on a big piece of particle-board as the world base.  I have some small acrylic paints (any info on brand/type in this regard would be helpful), and I'm going to be using cardboard, balsa, rocks, legos, some plastic ferns, some 'actual' miniature crafting things (like a roll of fake grass), and I'm going to be grabbing some cheap green spices.  I also don't know if this would work at all, but you know that fluffy lint that you take off of your drier when you clean the lint trap?  It looks like if I ripped that into smaller chunks and painted it, it could make random foliage.

I guess I'm just looking for any other tips/tricks/material ideas for what I'm doing since I'm just starting out. The world is going to have every type of terrain: mountains, snow, swamp, forest, desert, and some rivers (no idea what to do for water in this instance).

Currently, I'm only in my planning phase. I took the washer/drier room which was used as storage and shifted all of it into a small closet, basically freeing up 3/4 of a small room. I'll be making this my craft corner.

arwfowebf974gt_zpsuatyizkb.jpg

You can see the black on the side is the open door and my arms are open to show the dimension of the room. It's rectangular and this is the shorter width. Opposite end of me is the washer/drier.

I did the priming and 1 coat of paint already so within the next day or 2, it should be usable for working on projects.  I also left a big square on the wall unpainted because I got a tiny can of that chalkboard paint so I can have a big brainstorming board to jot down notes on.

I cannot wait to see this! It sounds so cool!

• Like 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

I just found this post and have to sub. Some amazing projects completed or in progress guys!

I knit, crochet, paint and do random crafty things. I'm currently and VERY slowly finishing a Seattle themed scarf and then will start working on a mosaic mirror for my bathroom. 

• Like 2

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

This scarf has taken me way longer than it should. I'm about 70 rows to finishing it. Once I get it finished and blocked, I might might add a polar fleece lining to it. The edges curl a lot and if steam blocking doesn't help, I will try my hand at sewing on a lining. 

• Like 5

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

1 minute ago, Jonesy said:

This scarf has taken me way longer than it should. I'm about 70 rows to finishing it. Once I get it finished and blocked, I might might add a polar fleece lining to it. The edges curl a lot and if steam blocking doesn't help, I will try my hand at sewing on a lining. 

Oh my gosh that is so cool!!! And your stitches are so consistent! When I knit I get tense and it gets too tight lol

This is a very small knit (yarn and needles) so I had to be looser with the tension. Some of the bulkier or bigger needle knits do the same for me. Not that I get tense but I tend to pull things tighter.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 8:51 AM, Meredith said:

Just a thought based on a question I posted in the women's forum - does anyone make their own workout gear? I could use some pants that aren't leggings.

Also - tried a temporary cell phone arm band solution - I hated the weight and lopsidedness on my arm so alas, I won't be exploring that bit of craft further.

I did just get some pretty outdoors fabric to make new seats and backs for a pair of directors chairs we have on the deck! Getting some outdoors thread today and will post updates :)

I love wrap pants! Good for capoeira, tai chi, yoga (mostly) and bodyweight stuff.

• Like 2

Sylph Spellblade | Level 10 STR 5.2 | DEX 4.2 | STA 6.2 | CON 11.32 | WIS 6.75 | CHA 7.3

17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Battle Log

Epic Quest!

On 3/7/2016 at 9:56 PM, Waldo said:

How long does it take to make something like that?

I desparately need a new gym bag and can't find anything right. Maybe when I'm done with this loveseat I'll give something like that a try.

Need to figure out something that isn't an epic several month marathon to work on next.

Oh, not too long, I'd say start to finish it's a 3 - 8 hour job depending on your sewing and patterning! Hardest part is getting the right hardware. When I was still in the city there was an awesome place that had everything, but now I have to send away :( 

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 6:04 AM, Teros said:

I've got a tutorial that includes a product link! Ta-da!

• Like 3

Sylph Spellblade | Level 10 STR 5.2 | DEX 4.2 | STA 6.2 | CON 11.32 | WIS 6.75 | CHA 7.3

17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Battle Log

Epic Quest!

1 hour ago, everanything said:

I've got a tutorial that includes a product link! Ta-da!

Hrm.  I don't think I would use the first product, but one of those gels might be usable.  I have a gigantic board and since I'm not building up much, that means I can't build 'up' more water. Instead, maybe I should try and carve out a little bit of the board and use that gel to fill in the newly-cratered area?