Cooking +1! Making udon... with leftovers?!

I can't believe I pulled this off...

My 3rd quest for this month is to make a meal for 3 people with heavy dietary restrictions. I'd completed this week's quest on Tuesday with a ginger chicken chili (no nightshades), and had made a broth using the bones from the chicken.

Sooooooooooo tonight I'd had a random thought about udon (and who doesn't?) and yesterday the Dragon (ie husband) had roasted chicken/carrots/brussel sprouts that were A. really tasty and B. hadn't gotten very soft, so we tossed those in with some extra chicken, let it boil, added the udon and

O_O OMG....

The broth had all the spices from the chili (ginger/clove/rosemary/oregano/black pepper) plus Josh's spices from yesterday (rosemary/olive oil/roasted garlic) - and it is amazing. And we still have some left over and I'm very excited to bring it to work tomorrow for lunch when the veggies will be even softer :D

Which would make 3 separate uses of leftovers and I don't even LIKE leftovers o.o

And then I stumbled onto how to make udon and I'm wondering if I can experiment with different types of flours. Maybe I've made an udon monster... oh well, back to playing Undertale XD

• Like 2

If you have an Asian or international grocery in your area you can find them in the frozen section very inexpensively. If not, the recipe for making them is surprisingly easy, and the kneading can act as a mini workout ;D In a pinch, I think Trader Joe's has the Annie Chung brand of instant noodles, there's an udon version that's not bad and they're $1 a piece :3

I just cheat and use spaghetti when I want noodles and broth.  It's noodles and broth, you don't need to make a big tzimmes out of it. ;)

p.s.  if you're into homebrewed ramen, get some miso and bonito flakes and kombu, all of which store well, and you've got nearly instant broth base (dashi and miso) whenever you want it. 

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.