• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Craynon

Alternatives to pasta in the UK?

Hi! I'm looking for good alternatives to pasta, as I love pasta dishes but want to cut (or at least have the option of cutting) the carbs!

The reason I mention UK, as I know spaghetti squash is popular, but I've never seen them for sale here!

I did see a mention of using julienned courgettes (zucchini) instead, anyone tried this?

Any tips would be appreciated :D

Great, thank you! I'll need to get myself either a julienne peeler or a spiralizer I think! The zoodles look most similar to spaghetti short of spaghetti squash to me, but I like sweet potatoes so I'll try those too at some point!

Marks and Spencer and Tesco do spiralised vegetables, which can be used instead of pasta. Or you could just buy a spiraliser.

Please remember that calories are what make you lose or gain weight, cutting carbs is just one way to get there.

If I'm planning on gaining weight, should I just not bother cutting them out? I saw on the Academy page Steve said he sticks to a paleo diet but drinks a gallon of milk a day to bulk?

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Why are you cutting carbs if you want to gain weight?

That's a good point, I think I was confusing why carbs were being cut for some people in a paleo diet with why grains were being cut. I'm broadly aware of my nutritional needs, but I probably need to do a lot more reading!

I'm going to stick with a mostly paleo diet for now and monitor how my body reacts. I'm not starting any strength training or workouts until the end of the month after my current exams, so will assess then whether I need to be increasing my intake of calories. I'm also not as skinny as I was, thanks to numerous Christmas meals with different groups, so not too concerned about that yet.

Plus, I really like most of the paleo recipes I've seen or cooked so far, so I'm broadening my experience in the kitchen too: I've never cooked so many veggies before!!

That's a good point, I think I was confusing why carbs were being cut for some people in a paleo diet with why grains were being cut. I'm broadly aware of my nutritional needs, but I probably need to do a lot more reading!

I'm going to stick with a mostly paleo diet for now and monitor how my body reacts. I'm not starting any strength training or workouts until the end of the month after my current exams, so will assess then whether I need to be increasing my intake of calories. I'm also not as skinny as I was, thanks to numerous Christmas meals with different groups, so not too concerned about that yet.

Plus, I really like most of the paleo recipes I've seen or cooked so far, so I'm broadening my experience in the kitchen too: I've never cooked so many veggies before!!

Veggies are good. Veggies are awesome. Definitely eat more veggies.

A lot of people recommend Paleo plus rice or oats, if you're aiming for a Paleo-ish diet but to gain weight. Both are grains but less reactive than wheat. Personally, I wouldn't go with GOMAD given the havoc that lactose plays with my digestive tract, but other people are fine with it.

I'm not Paleo. I like beans. I eat rice. I squeeze in sugary treats. I do however advocate a diet that is based on lots of vegetables, adequate protein and a carbohydrate intake which is proportionate to your activity level and weight goals.

Veggies are good. Veggies are awesome. Definitely eat more veggies.

Will do on the veg front!

A lot of people recommend Paleo plus rice or oats, if you're aiming for a Paleo-ish diet but to gain weight. Both are grains but less reactive than wheat. Personally, I wouldn't go with GOMAD given the havoc that lactose plays with my digestive tract, but other people are fine with it.

I've always been fine with lactose, but having said that I've never tried drinking a gallon of milk a day! I will definitely bear in mind bringing in more rice, not such a big fan of oats personally!

Thanks for the advice :) Everyone here is so helpful!

• Like 1

To answer original question, as a way to increase your veg intake, brocolli stalks can be spiralised, courgettes are a great one.

Also try cauliflower rice (literally blend raw cauliflower until it resembles cous cous texture.  Great to have with any curry, chili, etc.

You can also make it into a pizza base, google it for a recipe.

• Like 1