Plazmotic's Battle Log: CRYOGEN TERMINATED

Tau Ceti 2016-X is a barren and soulless planet, but beneath its cold and alien surface I can see great potential. Right now all I have is my wits to survive, looks like I’ll have to implement a conditioning program in order to fight the many perils that await. I’ve already integrated most of the regiment recommended by Mission Control: no soda pop, no takeout food, daily consumption of fruits and vegetables. Still, there’s room for improvement. I need to develop an activity routine quickly to combat the gravitational decrease, focusing on muscle growth and strength training.

Now that I’m awake, my co-pilot Lieutenant Jenkins is around to distract me with complex statistical analysis, long briefings from Command, and the unhealthiest rations we were left with. Seriously, breakfast sausage? Ew. We’ve also had to ingratiate ourselves to the local population by participating in their holy feasts. Needless to say, I’ve got a long way to go before I’m in good enough condition to climb Arjuna Mons in 4 revs. Wish me luck, I’m going to need it!

• Like 1
[PLAZMOTIC STATUS LOG 198116.01.15 TYPE-A]

Meant to log a supplemental report last night but things have been a little hectic. Lt. Jenkins had a bug up his butt and kept snapping at me the moment he came back from repairing the craft's navigational lens. Then he got fixated on filing some statistical reports to Mission Control, which we needed to do together. Didn't have time to initiate the strength training protocol or the mood to enjoy five minutes in the VR simulator, which is disappointing.

Thankfully, I did manage to go through the cargo hold and secure all the ingredients I needed to create a personalized detoxification digestive. Cracked open the brand new nutritive materializer when Jenkins was still out and now I have my first capsule ready to go. I also replaced my morning caffiene booster with a herbal derivitive!

Tonight, I am taking the shuttle up to 2016-X-Coledge to rendezvous with Captain Brandene; she's requested my assistance in scouting for a new home base up there on that moon. It's a two day mission, Jenkins has plans to test all the craft's exhaust ports while I'm gone. Looking forward to a lot of trekking around in my space suit with my best bud from our training days. :)

• Like 1

[PLAZMOTIC STATUS LOG 198116.01.18 TYPE-A]

Apologies to Mission Control for my lack of reports, I'll try to be more diligent in the future.

The rendezvous with Captain Brandene went excellently in some ways, poorly in others. From a purely psychological standpoint, it was a thousand times more effective than a whole day in the VR simulator. Nothing beats real human interaction, and it was great to catch up with a friend. We only covered one of 2016-X-Coledge's quadrants searching for a suitable home base but it was significant ground to cover; despite using Cpt. Brandene's rover we still had a lot of walking to do, approximately 4 hours worth. That much movement in a higher gravity was a great workout for my otherwise unused muscles. On the negative side of things, none of the sites we visited ended up being viable home bases. Brandene's last comm to me was despondent and I'm trying to keep her optimism up.

Unfortunately, I've been ill for the last two days. The longer you've been in space, the longer merely sharing the same air as another human will destroy your immune system. Likely a digestive parasite, as I shared Cpt. Brandene's rations. I've been unable to move or stand much without feeling nauseous or wracked with stomach cramps. Needless to say, this throws a wrench in my conditioning regiment. Jenkins has been phenomenal in picking up the slack now that I'm out of commission. He's out for the day, gathering the necessary data for both of our planetary risk metrics. 

Trying to take my own advice to remain optimistic, I'll recover soon enough. 

• Like 1

[PLAZMOTIC STATUS LOG 198116.01.20 TYPE-A]

I finally seem to be recovering from my illness, I’d say that I’m at 80% normal capacity. Dietary modifications are going extremely well. My training regimen is much more of a struggle, as I have yet to meet either of my activity requirements. I keep getting bogged down by craft maintenance, or I’ll completed 3 experiments for Mission Control and their response is: “Great, here’s 5 more.â€

Just realized that Mission Control sent me a portable VR helmet as part of the annual restocking initiative a couple weeks ago, maybe I can take that with me to the engine room or cockpit next time while I’m doing repairs, spice up the mundane duties with some very necessary training.

• Like 1

[PLAZMOTIC STATUS LOG 198116.01.22 TYPE-A]

Experiencing some periodic gastrointestinal discomfort and nausea this morning. Have sent a blood sample back to Mission Control for review and diagnosis.

I continue to shirk my activity directives. At this rate, I’ll be in very sad shape to climb Arjuna Mons indeed. Knowing that I am the kind of person who responds better to external motivation rather than internal motivation (hence why Mission Control values my obedience), I am trying to find a partner in accountability. Lt. Jenkins would obviously be my first choice, but he views the Arjuna Mons recon as optional and doesn’t quite see the value in my conditioning program. Plus, did I mention the breakfast sausage rations? Ew.

On my last mission, at the Epsilon Indi system, I rendezvoused frequently with Captain Yeng and her husband, and they were relentless in maximizing their conditioning sequence, going even beyond the recommendations of Mission Control (but within parameters, of course.) I miss that level of dedication, although I resented it at the time. My sister, Admiral Rama, recently discontinued her patrol of the Tau Ceti clusters and has taken up a leisurely post around Pollux C, and with all the free time she has I am hoping we can hold each other accountable for our respective conditioning regimes. She is, unfortunately, not a relentless type. We may make each other lazier. But it’s worth a shot. She’s visiting me at the end of this rev (yes, her craft has FTL, lucky girl) and hopefully we can hash something out.

• Like 1

[PLAZMOTIC STATUS LOG 198116.01.25 TYPE-A]

Yesterday Jenkins decided to visit the local alien tribe, so I went with him. When we had first arrived on Tau Ceti 2016-X, the chief (in a gesture of goodwill), made Jenkins a sort of “honorary son†which means that he has honorary parents and sisters, plus an honorary nephew. The nephew’s just a little pod-creature right now, hasn’t sprouted his wings or talons yet, so he’s utterly adorable albeit a bit of a troublemaker.

Anyway, we visited to locals yesterday, specifically to see Jenkins’ “nephewâ€. Unbeknownst to us, his nephew was extremely ill. Poor thing was whimpering and screeching with pain, violently expelling a pale pink liquid from his snout, and had no appetite. We tried using a few items from our medpacks to help, but nothing worked. The chief said this sort of condition was common amongst his people and that we shouldn’t be worried.

Exo-bio-pathology is not my specialty, so I’m hoping that whatever they had does not cross species. Jenkins and I are feeling fine, no nausea or lack of appetite, we should be out of the woods.

After we came back from visiting the locals, we rendezvoused with Admiral Rama. Her acclimatization regime is more intense than mine but she admitted that she often puts more priority on her objectives from Mission Control. We’ve promised to keep in touch regarding making conditioning one of our top priorities.

In other news, I injured my dominant wrist late last week and it’s been getting progressively worse over the last few days. I bio-scanned my right hand and arm and sent the analysis to Mission Control, who recommended I take a break from any regiments that require lifting, focusing instead on core body movements.

[PLAZMOTIC STATUS LOG 198116.01.29 TYPE-A]

Do you know how hard life becomes for your average homo sapiens when she can’t use the thumb on her dominant hand? Life is hard and opposable thumbs are crucial. I can’t lift heavy objects with my right hand, grasping tools is difficult, argh. This is what I get for trying to carry four bags of soil samples in one hand from the shuttle to the storage bay. Trying my best to use my left hand for general use instead. Still waiting on Mission Control’s recommendations. I’m thinking a thermal pack might come in handy.

Dietary conditioning is moving along at a great pace. I’ve hit half a rev without caffeinetious stimulants! The herbal derivative isn’t quite the same but it sure tastes great. And I’m continuing to make great use of the nutritive materializer to create capsules chock full of vegetable and fruit supplements.

Still having issues getting active onboard the craft. I’ve been spending way too much time in the VR room lately, killing time and brain cells while I run through battle simulations. I don’t even need to practice battle sims! I’m a scientist, a non-combat member of the Space Corps. And yet, it’s fun to pretend. But it’s a distraction I need to quit, if only I knew how.

[PLAZMOTIC STATUS LOG 198116.02.04 TYPE-A]

New rev, new me.

I received new conditioning directives from Mission Control, rev 2 adjustments. And I’ve been able to perform according to specifications so far! Granted, I am only 3 days into rev 2, so there’s no telling how long my motivation will last. On the plus side, Admiral Rama has actually kept up her side of the accountability bargain and periodically sends me holos of her sweaty face doing laps in her heavy-grav training pod. It’s definitely good to have someone to talk to about variations in conditioning regimes.

My nutritive capsules are starting to become a bit of a chore; they’ve never tasted very good and my taste buds are finally catching up to the fact that they’re being tricked. But I’ve received some random comms from old team members (Captain Wong and Captain Bradislav) who told me they’re on the same regiment, and they dislike the capsules just as much, but rules from Mission Control are rules from Mission Control. Cpt. Wong’s exact words were “suck it up and take your medicineâ€, hah.

I formally registered my expedition to Arjuna Mons with Mission Control yesterday. There’s no backing out now. I also decided to up the ante by sending comms to my old α-base, telling them about my expedition and inviting anyone up for the challenge to join me. I got three responses back already, the usual suspects. Corporals Tam, Pass, and Campino are in, hoping more trickle in as the day nears closer.

Otherwise I’m in good physical condition. Jenkins has been in good spirits, as have I. Here’s to hoping rev 2 is the one to set the standard.

[PLAZMOTIC STATUS LOG 198117.02.15 TYPE-AB]

Good to know my logs were not wiped. Cyclecount 198116 turned out to be one catastrophic system crash after another. I lost main power and my backup generator, then the ventilation recyclers failed and I nearly died due to exospore infection. I had to cancel the Arjuna Mons mission because of it, then Mission Control sent me for neural reconditioning to deal with the mental fallout.

Anyway, here's to Cyclecount 198117. Me and Lt. Jenkins chose a new mission that relocated us from Tau Ceti to the Andromedae sector, which is a short shuttle ride to Epsilon Indi, so I've been grav training with Captain Yeng a couple times. I'm back to rev 1 all over again but that's okay.

My biggest challenge right now is to get back on the dietary conditioning platform outlined by Mission Control. Jenkins has been a terrible influence on me, I think he even put my nutritive materializer in the cargo hold to make room for a shiny new G.R.I.L. (Gastronomic Reconstituted Indigenous Labourer). But I've also been lethargic regarding my physical state... the exospore infection really did a number on me. The neural reconditioning isn't complete yet and I don't think it will be for some time. I just have to be patient and strong, I guess.

• Plazmotic changed the title to Plazmotic's Battle Log: CRYOGEN TERMINATED

[PLAZMOTIC STATUS LOG 198117.02.27 TYPE-A]

My reconditioning has been going better than expected! Even Jenkins seems on board; I’ve been putting effort into maintaining an old ZG Hydropon module, which means fresh nutritives every day as long as I make time to sterilize the goods, and as long as I pick the nutritives that Jenkins likes he’ll pop a couple as well.

It’s been great training with Yeng, I’ve actually told Mission Control to formally designate her as my observer, in case they need additional details surrounding my recovery process. She’s always been a bit more accepting of exobiotic tools and practices, and recommends some strange protocols to aid in my recovery. Although I’ve always been more on the rigorous, tech-based side, I’ve seen her morphology change before my eyes due to these interstellar practices, and I’ve seen Jenkins’ alien tribe on Tau Ceti 2016-X do amazing things as well. So I reached out to an old alien friend I met on Rigil Kentaurus, back when I was still under apprenticeship at the Academy, and asked her advice on regenerative and healing protocols common to her people. Ksharolc was familiar with the exobiotic recommendations Yeng made to me, and as always her empath prowess put me at ease.

-

Last subrev I had the good fortune to witness a flyby of the Arc Ship Daxat. Since I’m a former resident, Captain Parna invited myself and Jenkins to rendezvous and dock to take part in their annual Solta festivities. I’d forgotten how busy an Arc Ship can be, especially one like Daxat that’s protected under “homestead” status. Nutritives, Hydropons, and GRILs as far as the mind’s eye can see! Not to mention they’ve perfected the cultivation of hoochferns… Jenkins wouldn’t let me near the controls by the time we were ready to return to our synchronous orbit.

But anyway. I reconnoiter with Yeng in 600 snaps, hopefully I’ll be able to keep up with her.

[PLAZMOTIC STATUS LOG 198117.02.27 TYPE-A]

I wanted to take a moment and review some points regarding the activity aspect of my reconditioning regimen over the last couple subrevs.

Feels like every ship system possible that could experience deficiencies had deficiencies. There was a neutrino storm from a nearby pulsar that tore part of the technetium plating from the hull, and before a local engineer could visit we had a vacuum breach. Then Mission Control issued a recall on the shuttle’s gravitational dampeners, so I had to head cloudside to Saffar Andromedae for a service boost.

This left me zero time to train with Captain Yeng. Fortunately, Jenkins and I were running the full length of the ship in order to get our repairs in place and diagnostics confirmed. Plus when I was cloudside for the shuttle service, I ran into an old friend from my Sigset years, who is under a reconditioning regimen as well, so we took a short tour of Saffar Andro-Metro and its high tech facilities, which was enough to log in the required activity metrics with Mission Control.

Things are back on track now, I’m planning to rendezvous with Cpt. Yeng in 0800. Hopefully. Mission Control has issued a system wide warning that a nanocluster swarm will be passing through our sector in the next couple subrevs, AGAIN. Here’s to hoping our aging shuttle and ship can handle it.

[PLAZMOTIC STATUS LOG 198117.03.20 TYPE-A]

I don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned it, but our new assignment at α-Andromedae means that we’re constantly surrounded by Gatotherians. Personally I kinda love the fuzzy little critters. They hunt down swarms of troublesome moonrats, plus it’s fun to watch as they cavort out in the vac. They’ve never wrecked any part of our ship, all they do is snooze in the warmth of our stellar arrays. :)

• Like 1

[[LOG THREAD REBOOT]]

As much as I loved the format of this log thread, it takes a lot of mental energy when most of the time I just want to plainly talk about my food and exercise challenges or other off-topic but related issues. So, going to switch it up for now and Keep It Real going forward.

• Like 1

Was poking around looking to see if you had a challenge thread this time and found this instead. Post a notice when/if you start a challenge?  

• Like 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

12 hours ago, Severine said:

Was poking around looking to see if you had a challenge thread this time and found this instead. Post a notice when/if you start a challenge?  

I know I want to do the next challenge, but I’m at a loss on what goals I should have. I’m eating okay and exercising a bit. I know I need to push my limits a bit, but I feel like doing so will lead to my inevitable failure of the challenge.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Plazmotic said:

I know I want to do the next challenge, but I’m at a loss on what goals I should have. I’m eating okay and exercising a bit. I know I need to push my limits a bit, but I feel like doing so will lead to my inevitable failure of the challenge.

There are a couple strategies that come to mind. First, if you're not sure that your existing habits are 100% solidified, there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing your next challenge with the goal of maintaining your current routine. It's so much better to make slower but consistent progress than to be someone who manages epic feats, and then collapses and regresses, and then restarts. Take it from someone who is in that second group, and trying to bust into the first group :D

If you want to be more daring, add slightly more challenging goals...but still, keep it manageable. Like if you're taking 7000 steps per day, aim for 8000. Pick one small thing to eliminate from your diet but don't try to overhaul everything. 

You could even do a hybrid approach. Like have your main goal to stay consistent on what you're doing now, but add an optional stretch goal - something you'll try for if you feel able, something that'd be nice to do, but won't consider it a failure if you don't. A lot of people do stuff like that.

Maybe start by making a list of what you'd like your ideal routine to look like, and picking the most attainable looking thing on the list and thinking about how to start making it a habit?

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Now that I've released myself from the tyranny of semi-narrative fiction, I think this thread is going to be a place to rant about my lady problems. Wheeeeee LET'S GO.

TMI to follow...

Spoiler

I'm on day freaking 36 of my cycle and I've just about had it with my goddamn hormones. They are definitely not behaving as expected. All signs this month strongly point to estrogen dominance with androgen excess; my temp didn't spike during ovulation, long-ass luteal phase, painful ovulation, lackluster libido. I have had enough with my useless OB-GYN and am asking my family doc on Monday to refer me to a different OB-GYN (a young lady at that) that specializes in fertility issues. Wednesday I start up acupuncture again, which I'm looking forward to. Still haven't gotten in the habit of BBT charting; I am too damn tired in the morning to take my temperature and write it down!

2 hours ago, Severine said:

if you're not sure that your existing habits are 100% solidified, there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing your next challenge with the goal of maintaining your current routine.

Yeah, I feel like they haven't been converted into real habits yet, like given the slightest permission I'd just slide right back to my old ways. Maybe this will be a maintenance challenge with bonus goals.

• Like 1

TMI again...

Spoiler

Day 37, cycle is still ongoing. I know I’m not pregnant because I took a test on the weekend that came up fully negative. This has happened before, where for NO GOOD REASON by body decides one week of PMS isn’t enough, TWO WEEKS IT IS. I should just get back on the Estrosmart pills, that shit fixed my cycle real good last time (28 day cycle = very yes) but my ND said it shouldn’t be taken past ovulation.

Dammit, uterus, just bleed already!

• Like 1

Y'ALL, WHAT THE FUCK, I am 5 weeks pregnant.

Spoiler

Obviously I'm SUPER HAPPY but wat. I was NOT expecting to be. I haven't felt more nauseous than usual either, just regular PMS-y feels. Misjudged that I guess. I took a pregnancy test on the 16th and it was negative, so I ended up stopping my prenatal pills and drinking a shit-ton of wine, ugh. Worried I have already messed things up by doing so.

To be honest I don't feel optimistic right now; even if I'm pregnant I know there's something wonky with my hormones still, so that has to be addressed regardless if I don't want to miscarry again. Thankfully I have an appointment with my family doctor today, hoping she will give me some guidance. Also seeing my naturopath on Wednesday, she has been awesome and will be so happy to know. I am basically pregnant thanks to her haha. 

Bonus: me and my husband just booked a trip to Lisbon... and I can't drink alcohol anymore. GODDAMMIT.

Anyways in summary I AM SO GLAD but also TERRIFIED this will not work out AGAIN. Aaaaah so freaked out...

• Like 1

Congrats! And good luck. I have no advice other than to say you should relax about the wine (a zillion women before you have done the same or worse and their kids were fine) and take good care of yourself. And my fingers are crossed for the pregnancy. So many people have miscarriages as I'm sure you know, so try not to be discouraged. Many women miscarry and then go on to have a healthy pregnancy. And if this time isn't the time, you can try again - the fact that you're still conceiving is proof of that.

Good luck getting the hormone stuff sorted. Can you see an obstetric endocrinologist? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Severine said:

Can you see an obstetric endocrinologist? 

Maybe. My GP set me up for some blood tests that I’m going to get done tomorrow, if everything checks out maybe I won’t need a specialist. And for some reason this time around my GP seems waaaaaay more detail oriented regarding my care. I think it might be because between this pregnancy and my last one, she had a baby of her own, LOL.

• Like 1

Stuff is happening. (Preggo talk)

Spoiler

1.       Saw my naturopath on Wednesday for a quick appointment. She basically took up most of the time repping midwives, LOL. I also got some good info from her that the new OB my family doc referred me to is a C-section machine, yikes. She suggested two other OBs in my region who would be good, and she also suggested two midwife organizations nearby.

2.       Got some blood and urine tests done. Hopefully they turn out okay. No news is good news.

3.       Remember when I was saying that I feel so good that I wonder that something might be wrong? Well apparently feeling bad ALSO makes me wonder that something might be wrong, LOL. Stupid brain, catastrophizing everything. But yeah, been feeling crampy and cold today, with some bright red spotting (but not a lot). But my boobs hurt more today than yesterday, so yay? IDK y’all.

Yesterday I was telling my husband about how I've got to choose between OB or midwife for primary care, and when he asked me what I preferred I was like: even though I have so many health professionals caring for me, every time I'm done all I can think is "what I actually need is a therapist". :P I feel like a patient-shaped blob in the regular healthcare industry. My ND makes me feel more cared for, so I'm thinking the midwife route would appeal to my desire to have real discussions with the people in charge of my health. But if this new NEW OB is as good as they say, might just go with her, since I'm so comfortable with the established medical care profession.

5 minutes ago, Plazmotic said:

Remember when I was saying that I feel so good that I wonder that something might be wrong? Well apparently feeling bad ALSO makes me wonder that something might be wrong, LOL. Stupid brain, catastrophizing everything.

Apparently Queen Latifah said that "overthinking is just another form of fear." Seems like wisdom to me. It certainly resonated with me when I heard it anyway, since a lot of my overthinking is a result of trying to do everything perfectly so nothing bad happens. 

And there's certainly plenty to be nervous about when it comes to pregnancy...but there's also a limit to how much you can control. Try to let go of the stuff that's out of your hands, as much as you can!

Anyway I don't have kids so I try to never give pregnancy advice. All I'll say is don't be afraid to ask questions and demand details about exactly what your birth process will be like, and don't let people pressure you!

• Like 1