• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Craynon

Any cavers on here?

I did some back in college. Mostly in the ozarks. Mostly tied to biological investigations. Would love to get back into it.

I'm not familiar with US geography, so I just looked the area up and it seems as if there are some amazing caves in the area! The caves here in the UK can be very good, but vary a lot in their quality based on local geology

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

I have only done some caving in Southern Indiana, and that was 20 years ago. It was fun, but not something I could get in to on a regular basis due to geography.

I'm not familiar with US geography, so I just looked the area up and it seems as if there are some amazing caves in the area! The caves here in the UK can be very good, but vary a lot in their quality based on local geology

Some of the best in the country. The area is mostly limestone, so it lends itself to caves very nicely and it also tends to make some very nice formations. But ithe is the same here with the cages in geography. The Quachita mountains just south of the Ozarks have different stone and no caves.

I use to go to one cave in the area every year or two. But my brother-in-law was the one that knew how to navigate it. So I haven't gone since he passed away. The cave is pretty easy to access and not very complicated so there are a lot of people that go in there and don't take care of the cave. The last time I was there there was a soup can left in there and the mold was as tall as my knee. It kind of deterred me from going again anyway. That room smelled horrible and it was really disappointing it was over something so dumb.

Some of the best in the country. The area is mostly limestone, so it lends itself to caves very nicely and it also tends to make some very nice formations. But ithe is the same here with the cages in geography. The Quachita mountains just south of the Ozarks have different stone and no caves.

The caves here in the UK are also limestone, but they can still vary a lot depending on tectonic movement and other factors

I use to go to one cave in the area every year or two. But my brother-in-law was the one that knew how to navigate it. So I haven't gone since he passed away. The cave is pretty easy to access and not very complicated so there are a lot of people that go in there and don't take care of the cave. The last time I was there there was a soup can left in there and the mold was as tall as my knee. It kind of deterred me from going again anyway. That room smelled horrible and it was really disappointing it was over something so dumb.

"Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints"

Many of the most popular (noncommercial) caves here in the UK have locked entrances to prevent that kind of mistreatment, it's really sad to see it when it happens.

kill nothing but time.

I used to do a fair amount in southern Indiana when I knew a guy in into it more.  One drought year we even got off map into what was probably virgin cave.  Thought we were going to die in there at the time.  Haven't been in 20 years despite living the last 10 on the Karst formation between SE Missouri and southern tip of Indiana.  

• Like 1

kill nothing but time.

I used to do a fair amount in southern Indiana when I knew a guy in into it more.  One drought year we even got off map into what was probably virgin cave.  Thought we were going to die in there at the time.  Haven't been in 20 years despite living the last 10 on the Karst formation between SE Missouri and southern tip of Indiana.  

Wow, I'd love to be able to explore some virgin caves! My uncle used to enjoy cave cartography, so I'm hoping much further down the line I'll be able to try it myself

I'm going caving again next weekend having not been since November, which should be good :)

• Like 2