Waanie starts halfway

Waanie

After being away from this forum for a month or so, I came back battered and sore. My achilles tendon is injured, I'm close to depression again and I don't feel very well in general, so it's time to start working on that again ;).

In the long term, I want to be healthy, a good climber and strong enough for things like moving without having to worry about my body. I love exercise, climbing and yoga-like movements in particular :).

This challenge is going to be a short one for me, so I'm going to focus on recovery and trying out new things. I can't climb (or cycle there) with an injured achilles, which makes for an ideal time to experiment with upper body strength.

Missions for this challenge

1. Injury recovery: strengthen my calves with calf raise progressions every day. Start with just flexing and stretching feet while sitting, go for 3x15 without pain.

2. Fun: complete the 7 day bad yogi challenge of Erin Motz. I've already done the first 3 days, so 4 to go! Make substitutions when my heel hurts.

3. Strength: do random sets of pull ups and push ups throughout the day (grease the groove) for a total of 75 pull ups and 300 push ups this challenge (ca. 5/20 per day)

4. Food: eat a meal with legumes every week. 2016 is the year of the bean, and they are delicious and healthy. I should eat them more!

That's it for now, we'll see if my steps are small enough this time around ;).

• Like 3

Hooray, a new challenge! So many questions:

Having an injury is no fun, especially one in an area which is used for so many things. Did something traumatic happen to cause the injury or did it just develop slowly? I was curious if pushups feel OK since it seems like the foot position might put a lot of stress on your heal.

Is there anything we can do to assist in battling the almost depression?

And finally, are you going to post your legume recipes for stealing purposes?

• Like 1

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Hooray, a new challenge! So many questions:

Having an injury is no fun, especially one in an area which is used for so many things. Did something traumatic happen to cause the injury or did it just develop slowly? I was curious if pushups feel OK since it seems like the foot position might put a lot of stress on your heal.

Is there anything we can do to assist in battling the almost depression?

And finally, are you going to post your legume recipes for stealing purposes?

Thanks for checking in :). My injury developed over the course of a few weeks, so not traumatic, but also not slowly. I just wanted to get into a proper deep squat too badly, and stretched too agressively. Now I pay the price ;).

Push ups are totally fine for my heel, especially because I lean forward further than most people do. I now mostly only wear socks inside, so my weight automatically slides forward otherwise. They're fun, and I can do sets of 4-5 of them without feeling it.

I'll post the links of this week's legume recipes later tonight :). Whether or not you steal them is up to you xD.

Week 2, day 6 update

Injury rehab: yesterday I could get through 9+4 point/flex cycles with my feet, and today I could do the full 3x15 cycles without pain. If walking won't cause me troubles tomorrow, I'll start adding in a resistance band in the last set :).

Yoga: nothing yet.

Grease the groove: I'm now at 9 pull ups and 34 push ups, a great start :).

Legumes: this morning I had baked beans for breakfast, see this recipe. We had some of the beans left over from dinner a few weeks ago, and today it tasted great again :). It's basically mixed beans in homemade tomato sauce, which is totally awesome. Also, earlier this week I made a kidney bean-carrot stew, see this translated recipe. It's one of my go to weekday recipes, since it's simple, filling and tasty :). For next week, I've planned 2 meals with legumes. What they are, you'll see then ;).

All in all a good start of the challenge. The mini-workouts of 1-2 pull ups or 4-5 push ups really help keeping me sane. Not being able to move around freely does nit help my mood at all ;). Today I solved that by baking and cooking more than I normally do, but I can't do that forever. So if anyone knows some other kind of mini exercise that does not tax the calves, please let me know! I'll stock up on books on Monday again, so that I'll not be as bored as I'm now ;).

• Like 2

I've been loving on white kidney beans for months now!

Have you considered/do you know about ladders for pull/push-ups? 1 rep, short rest, 2 reps, rest, 3 rest, 1, r, 2, r, 3...

I have never heard of white kidney beans, but they sound tasty. Many kinds of beans are still considered exotic here, although the supermarkets get more and more varieties nowadays. Brown, white and fava beans are still cheaper, but kidney beans, black beans, lentils, etc. are now also available :).

About the ladders: I have heard of them, vut chose to not do them because I want to keep my sets extremely easy. Maybe I can plan them in and have a rest day afterwards though ;).

• Like 1

Never considered white kidney beans to be exotic! They also go by the name Cannelini beans...I usually make them into English style baked beans.

I've heard of those! I think they are available at some supermarkets, but I'm not sure ;).

Today I had lentils with brussel sprouts, sweet potato and apple for dinner:

03ea2b19d1b9e653fbbde9d9760fed87.jpg

The recipe can be found here.

The push ups and pull ups are getting too much, my arms feel pretty fatigued. I'll keep the numbers low for now and might adapt my goals tomorrow. Alternatively, I might start doing negative pull ups and incline push ups, but I'm afraid those are not that useful.

My heel is much better already, I have not felt the pain at all yesterday and today :). I did cycle to work and back, so it's not as if I totally rested today ;).

• Like 3

Today I had lentils with brussel sprouts, sweet potato and apple for dinner:

03ea2b19d1b9e653fbbde9d9760fed87.jpg

Looks good!

Incline push-ups are still useful, they just the amount of weight you're effectively pushing...which sounds like what you need for now. And maybe keep the pull-ups to singles for now rather than trying for a double? Doing negatives if you're already feeling fatigued is going to drain you further. Another thing to consider, are you getting in enough protein?

• Like 1

Werewolf Druid | Lvl 2

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

Character Sheet (work in progress)

My Current Challenge

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

It's time to toss the dice.

So if anyone knows some other kind of mini exercise that does not tax the calves, please let me know!

How about leg raises (or progressions of leg raises) on your pullup bar?

Really glad to hear that your foot is improving and that you've been able to cycle a little. I know how much you use the bicycle to get around and limits on that would be no fun at all.

• Like 1

tinkerer

Looks good!

Incline push-ups are still useful, they just the amount of weight you're effectively pushing...which sounds like what you need for now. And maybe keep the pull-ups to singles for now rather than trying for a double? Doing negatives if you're already feeling fatigued is going to drain you further. Another thing to consider, are you getting in enough protein?

Thanks :). I'm  on the low side protein-wise, that's also a reason why I want to add legumes to my diet. I'm trying to add more, but it's a struggle. Most sources of protein are either expensive or not easily snackable ;). Yesterday and today I took it slow with the exercise, and at least my arms are smaller again ;). It's insane how much they can swell from just a little exercise.

Oh, that is some tasty-looking food. How did you prepare the Brussels sprouts?

Thanks, it was very tasty indeed! I parboiled the sprouts and sweet potato for 5 minutes, and then sauteed them on high fire for  a few minutes. Boiling for 4 minutes would have been better, but at least the sprouts still had some texture left ;).

How about leg raises (or progressions of leg raises) on your pullup bar?

Really glad to hear that your foot is improving and that you've been able to cycle a little. I know how much you use the bicycle to get around and limits on that would be no fun at all.

Leg raises sound cool :). My hip flexors are quite weak, so leg raises are very useful. My pull up bar is slightly too low, but even without full range of motion they are nice :).

My heel is almost better! A certain pair of winter shoes really made it worse yesterday, and those were also the shoes I was wearing when the pain started. I can do calf raises again, and walking and cycling is not a problem anymore :). Rest is great, and apparently I interfered early enough that it did not take too long. If I won't have pain in the next few days, I'm going to try to climb again this Sunday :D.

• Like 2

Thanks :). I'm  on the low side protein-wise, that's also a reason why I want to add legumes to my diet. I'm trying to add more, but it's a struggle. Most sources of protein are either expensive or not easily snackable ;). Yesterday and today I took it slow with the exercise, and at least my arms are smaller again ;). It's insane how much they can swell from just a little exercise.

I'm assuming dairy and eggs are a no go? Ever consider supplementing with some protein powder. Mixing unflavored pea and rice proteins isn't too bad tasting. But then I don't know where "here" is for you, so might not be as easy to get where you are I suppose.

• Like 1

Werewolf Druid | Lvl 2

My Current Challenge

Eggs and dairy are fine for me, just like meat. I have 200ml milk with my oats every morning, and usually 150-200ml yoghurt or "vla" (milk with cornstarch, not unlike custard) for dessert. However, even then I usually get stuck around 60-80g protein a day, which is 1-1.3g/kg. I'm considering buying protein powder (although I have no idea where), since I never really manage to adapt my eating pattern to incorporate more protein. Nuts and pre-cooked meat are expensive, uncooked meat and eggs are quite an effort ;).

In other words, I have done my calf raises every day, and my numbers are increasing every day :). I feel confident I'll be able to climb Sunday. Today I'll fly to England for work, so we'll see how much exercise I'll be able to do, if at all ;).

• Like 1

Ah, I got the impression that maybe you were vegetarian or some such derivative. 1-1.3g/kg sounds pretty okay for what you're doing I think.  Protein powders I usually buy online (favorite is Now brand unflavored Whey Isolate...bland and milky). Maybe cooking meat and eggs might be a good challenge down the road!

Hope climbing goes well!

• Like 1

Werewolf Druid | Lvl 2

My Current Challenge

Leg raises sound cool :). My hip flexors are quite weak, so leg raises are very useful. My pull up bar is slightly too low, but even without full range of motion they are nice :).

My heel is almost better! A certain pair of winter shoes really made it worse yesterday, and those were also the shoes I was wearing when the pain started. I can do calf raises again, and walking and cycling is not a problem anymore :). Rest is great, and apparently I interfered early enough that it did not take too long. If I won't have pain in the next few days, I'm going to try to climb again this Sunday :D.

I have the same issue with my pullup bar and just start from wherever I can. It seems to work OK (translation - leg raises are still hard to perform :)).

Hooray for climbing on Sunday!

• Like 1

tinkerer

Ah, I got the impression that maybe you were vegetarian or some such derivative. 1-1.3g/kg sounds pretty okay for what you're doing I think.  Protein powders I usually buy online (favorite is Now brand unflavored Whey Isolate...bland and milky). Maybe cooking meat and eggs might be a good challenge down the road!

Hope climbing goes well!

Thanks :). I do love my meat, although I cook vegetarian usually 1-2 times a week. Cooking with meat is not a problem for me, although I usually prefer the taste of fatty meat over lean meat. It just tastes more like meat ;). I'm trying to add more protein to my lunch (so meat and cheese on my sandwiches instead of chocolate sprinkles or vegetables), since that's the easiest meal to improve on. I might make healthy lunches a goal for next challenge.Thanks for your opinion about the protein needs, I will then mainly keep my current diet and slowly change my lunches to what I "should" eat, keeping the rest the same.

I have the same issue with my pullup bar and just start from wherever I can. It seems to work OK (translation - leg raises are still hard to perform :)).

Hooray for climbing on Sunday!

Thanks :). Since my hip flexors are the main muscles to be trained during leg raises, they are hard enough indeed ;). Holding an L-hang is also quite challenging for me!

Glad to hear that your heel is feeling better!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Week 3 report

Injury recovery: Done! I can do 3x15 calf raises on two feet, and I can climb, walk and cycle again without pain. I will continue strengthening my calves, but I'm essentially done for this goal.

Yoga: day 4 (hips & hamstrings) and day 5 (backbends & wheel) done!

Strength: grease the groove is not suitable for me. I'll stop with this misison, since my arms and shoulders were always sore when doing this. Also, I can climb again, so it's not necessary anymore to do a lot of strength work on the side.

Legumes: Yes! I've already shared a picture and recipe of the lentil and brussel sprout dish, but I've also made a beans, zucchini & feta dish on Wednesday (where the translation says coin, they mean mint), see the picture below. Lastly, I ate beans with my breakfast in England on Friday.

BmLG43A.jpg?3

I also climbed yesterday :). It did not go well, I fell out of the wall in routes that should be easy for me, but oh well. I did enjoy myself and totally loved climbing again. I got some remarks that even though I have beautiful upper body muscles, I should use my legs more ;). I know I should use them more, but they are not really strong enough at the moment. A two-armed pull up feels so much easier than a pistol squat :tongue:.

This week I'll take a week off work, since I got very tired from going to England. I went shopping for a rosemary plant at the garden center, and also bought the most glorious cat cushion of all time:

kCKaW4H.jpg?1

Even though she does not look happy in the picture, my cat seems to really enjoy it :).

• Like 3

Who in their right mind wouldn't enjoy that!

I don't know, I wouldn't want to be eaten by a giant Garfield ;).

Slowly but surely I'm getting more energy again. Where I wouldn't have been able to work yesterday and the day before that, today I feel like I can actually think again. I already got groceries for the next few days before 9AM this morning, and I feel ready to do something real today. I wanted to cycle to the mill in a village close by for flour, but it will probably rain this afternoon, so no flour for me. It's cool that some of the villages have the specialized shops, I'm cycling more in my holiday than in a regular week :).

My calves are also getting stronger, I can do 3x10 leg raises on each leg now :). When I'm at 3x15, the next step is to find an elevated surface for my calf raises.

Today, my muscles are very sore for some unknown reason. I mean, yesterday's yoga (upper body strength) was not that bad, and I don't remember working my lats. I hope climbing tonight will go well, despite the soreness ;).

• Like 3

I find that stairs aren't a bad place to do calf raises (as long as you use the bottom step at least).

I agree. However, my stairs are not in my apartment, but outside. I prefer to do calf raises without shoes, so I have to be a little creative ;).  A big stack of books seems to work well enough for now :).

Yesterday I completed Erin Motz's 7 day challenge with yoga for a better butt as last video. I really like her videos, nice and down to earth.

Furthermore, the Aldi close to my place sells dried lentils and beans, so yesterday I had home-made dhal (lentil soup) with sweet potato mash for dinner. Today I made hummus from dried chickpeas, which tastes so much better than hummus made out of canned chickpeas :). I now love sweet potato mash and the combination cucumber/hummus, I've never had those before!

I did not climb yesterday because it rained, and today the weather is great again, so today is a much better day to cycle 25km ;).

• Like 1

I did not climb yesterday because it rained, and today the weather is great again, so today is a much better day to cycle 25km ;).

Does that mean you get to go climbing today!? I'm glad to hear that you are getting your energy back and able to enjoy some cycling and cooking delicious sounding meals. I'm going to have to try the dried chickpeas for making hummus. We've attempted hummus in the past and found it to be much less tastey that what we could buy. Perhaps you've unlocked the secret there!

• Like 1

tinkerer

Hi Waanie!  Sorry I've been mia, but I'm glad to see all you're amazing progress :)  

• Like 1

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

Epic Quest: No fancy name yet