Does this happen often to anyone during meditation

I've noticed when I'm doing meditation (guided through headspace/calm or unguided using the calm app timer) that my head drops on it's own and my chin touches my chest.

I usually try to focus on counting my breathing as it's the easiest meditation method for me.

does this happen to anyone during their meditations?  Is this supposed to happen? I'm not sleeping, I'm still aware of the guided meditation but I don't straighten my head or neck up since I'm still in the middle of my sessions.

I started meditation about 2-3 weeks ago due to a 20 minutes a day challenge at least twice a week from RALLY a similar site to this one provided by my health insurance provider UHC.  They also want me to do 10 minutes of stretching at least twice a week. I usually try to at least do both of these on weekends as I work two jobs.

Please advise and any comments welcome.

We Live for the One, We Die For the One - Ranger Slogan from Babylon 5

We can do this - Hertasi Motto from Mercedes Lackey Valdemar Series (and my motto for the character i created per Steve's recent email

Allons-y - Catchphrase for the Tenth Doctor

Purchased Nerd Fitness Yoga Basic 1/25/16

Link to my NF Character - https://www.nerdfitness.com/level-up/my-character/  Warning lengthy story, mostly based on me.in reality

Shidohari: Level 3 Human Rebel

Stats:

STR - 2/ DEX - 6/ CON - 5/ STA - 5/ WIS - 5

Waist (measured right below belly button) 42.25 inches.  Hips 44.5 inches taken 2/8/15

Goal Weight 185

90%
90%

I wouldn't advise sitting with your head bent down because your neck will get sore.  If your head drops, just raise it.  There's no law saying you have to pretend you're a statue while you meditate.  The idea of stillness is to minimize distractions, but if an uncomfortable position is distracting you, then move!

You might also try meditating while lying down.

I would stretch 5 minutes before meditating and 5 minutes after, that way you get both tasks done.

• Like 2

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Tried to settle in a laying down position for meditation, very uncomfortable for me, so i sat on the floor and managed to hold a butterfly stretch through about five minutes of the headspace session before realizing it was distracting me so i did the rest of the session with my legs stretched out in front of me.

did five minutes of stretching after the session completed and it worked out well thank you for the suggestion.  

Also because i was distracted my head didn't fall or not noticeably anyhow.

Thank you for your suggestions.

We Live for the One, We Die For the One - Ranger Slogan from Babylon 5

We can do this - Hertasi Motto from Mercedes Lackey Valdemar Series (and my motto for the character i created per Steve's recent email

Allons-y - Catchphrase for the Tenth Doctor

Purchased Nerd Fitness Yoga Basic 1/25/16

Link to my NF Character - https://www.nerdfitness.com/level-up/my-character/  Warning lengthy story, mostly based on me.in reality

Shidohari: Level 3 Human Rebel

Stats:

STR - 2/ DEX - 6/ CON - 5/ STA - 5/ WIS - 5

Waist (measured right below belly button) 42.25 inches.  Hips 44.5 inches taken 2/8/15

Goal Weight 185

90%
90%

meditating sitting straight on the floor is new to me. I use to just sit on a chair. I had this head dropping thing to and also back pain at first. It's still not 100% perfect but it's getting easier each time. This video helped me correct my posture and this made a big difference. I also agree with Raincloak; reajust your position if needed.

• Like 1

My Battle Log

Challenges 1, 2,

Escape the Matrix Quest

Those are challenges I couldn't complete during previous 6 Week Challenges. While they won't be my focus for the next 6WC, I am keeping them here until I complete them. I WILL complete them.

Push ups challenge (3 sets of 30)

50%
50%

Freaking pull ups challenge (10 consecutive pushups)

64%
64%

I haven't had this issue, but I can see that it could be bad for the neck after longer meditations.  Depending on the school of thought, posture during meditation can be regarded as a huge deal from both a physical as well as mindfulness perspective.  My only suggestion would be trying to do shorter meditation sessions while simultaneously focusing on both breathing *and* posture.  I would regard it as merely a challenge, rather than a failing.  Similarly, the mind wandering is not failure in meditation, it's part of the process.  I would look at posture the same way.

I rarely do guided meditation (I practice Soto Zen), but I often use them when my insomnia has become severe.  I do this in a lying position in bed.  I find that it's very effective at drawing out all the tension and anxiety from the day.  I get my guided meditations here:

http://www.audiodharma.org/

Cheers and good luck.

• Like 1

===

SAVEJOHN.COM (I'm here to unfrack myself...)

===

My Nerd Fitness Character Profile

(A work in progress)

Personally doesn't happen to me.  But as long as you know you're not sleeping, don't think anything to be concerned about.  Just your body relaxing and let it happen.  As long you are still mentally aware all good I think.

Looking for a fun, easy way to work out at home without judgement?  Boxercise your way into shape with you virtual trainer.  Download the FREE "Boxing Combos" app for Iphone and Android.  Available on Itunes and the Google Play Store - http://bit.ly/1mWHHeO

When I first started, I would get some stiffness/soreness, so to ease myself in, I used to sit in a puang chair, which had a slight lean back that supports the head and neck, but not enough to encourage sleep. I then moved to a chair, and later self-supporting my back and neck. At the end of the day, do what you need to do in order to support your body so that you can focus on the present. Good luck!

Rule your mind or it will rule you. Being My Alter Ego: http://beingmyalterego.blogspot.ca/.

I wonder if it is a matter of chronically tight  neck muscles relaxing... I don't do much meditation anymore, but back when I was more into it, I would have this thing where once I'd really settle down, my head would just tilt over to the right, with this weird feeling like it was moving on its own or like someone had taken hold of my head and was gently rotating it. I never quite knew what to make of it. In hindsight, I'm betting it was that the right side of my neck has a good deal more tension (from mousing) so when my neck relaxes, it pulls off to the right.

So my blind across-the-internet guess would be that you've got a fair amount of chronic tension in your neck or right under the back edge of the skull, and when those muscles relax your head drops down. That is especially likely if your posture puts your head significantly in front of the mid-line of your body. Heads are heavy. If you carry your head forward, it takes a lot of work for the neck to hold it up. One of the things about traditional meditation postures is that they are intended to use very little muscular effort to maintain. If your head sits right at the mid-line, your neck isn't fighting gravity.

Joshua - Yoga Ninja Weasel #20: The Weasel goes on an Adventure!

I've also found that meditation relaxed my neck and shoulders immensely. It's amazing because these are tension headaches I've had since I was 12. I even saw a chiropractor for years about them. That helped, but didn't cure it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Base Character: Elantrian

Class/ Profession: Druid

Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Battle Log Whole30

It happens to some. When you meditate while seated, you should be relaxed in your entire body expect the spine. It is not easy to get to that point because your spine needs to be almost straight, hence it need to be flexible. To do that you need to lift your chest and stretch your spine through the top of your head. When you do that, you will experience what you experience. For some people it is a natural reflex, others need to learn it.

Jakob

Founder @ BOOKANAUT

is posture important... depends on the kind of mediation your doing.

I tend to tip forward.  I don't really mind.  As long as it doesn't hurt that is.  If it does hurt or even feels uncomfortable, I move.  Towards the end of my session I often sit back up straight.  It makes the meditation less deep (for me) and helps to prepare me to "come back".

So, barring the possibility that you're form of meditation requires you to sit a certain way there's only two questions that are important I think:

a. are you still comfortable during the meditation?

b. are you sore after the meditatioin?

If the answers are yes and no, I wouldn't worry about it to much.

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

My meditation is primarily from yoga traditions that teach us sitting upright with a long spine and neck is ideal for the flow of prana... however it also teaches that you should find a comfortable position as you're learning and developing the practice.  You can lay flat on the floor, you can use a pillow and other props, sit in yoga mudra (cross-legged, but bent forward with head resting on a block/pillow/floor), use a chair, etc. 

In other words, while you're learning meditation find a comfortable position so that you're not distracted by your physical body, as you advance you can start moving towards that traditional lotus position.

• Like 1

Easeful, Peaceful, Useful... "An easeful body, and a peaceful mind, allow you to become a useful person" -Swami Satchidananda

On 1/16/2016 at 8:18 AM, Shidohari said:

I've noticed when I'm doing meditation (guided through headspace/calm or unguided using the calm app timer) that my head drops on it's own and my chin touches my chest.

I usually try to focus on counting my breathing as it's the easiest meditation method for me.

does this happen to anyone during their meditations?  Is this supposed to happen? I'm not sleeping, I'm still aware of the guided meditation but I don't straighten my head or neck up since I'm still in the middle of my sessions.

I started meditation about 2-3 weeks ago due to a 20 minutes a day challenge at least twice a week from RALLY a similar site to this one provided by my health insurance provider UHC.  They also want me to do 10 minutes of stretching at least twice a week. I usually try to at least do both of these on weekends as I work two jobs.

Please advise and any comments welcome.

Yes, I've experienced this. I'd been meditating for about thirty years before this happened.  It seemed to coincide with contacting higher and higher planes of existence--outside the realm of space and time.