Hello all,

Been lurking around for about four months now, figured it was time to stop lurking and finally jump right in. :)

My name is Alex. I'm a 22 year-old Biology student in Rhode Island, I volunteer as an Emergency Medical Technician with my local ambulance corps, and I also work for a federally-funded grant project working to develop courses in higher education emergency management. I've been a nerd and out-of-shape for much of my life, and I finally decided it was time for a change around January of 2010. From my starting weight of 190 (down from my high school weight of 210), I'm down to about 135. I've discovered a love of running and hiking - I've gone from being unable to run a mile without stopping to participating in 10ks with solid times.

Unfortunately, I lost more muscle than I intended. I've never been much of a lifter, but I definitely want to start. I bought the Rebel Strength Guide, and I went Paleo at the start of the year. I'm looking to build muscle and I'm planning on trying parkour as a way to spice up my runs. By next August, I plan to participate in my first triathlon.

I'm happy to be here and looking forward to meeting you all.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LEVEL 1 HUMAN SCOUT

| STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 4 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 1 |

Hey Alex! Welcome to the Rebellion (officially :tongue:) . Congrats on the awesome things you've accomplished this last year! Sounds like you have a good idea of where you want to go fitness-wise, so good luck getting there! Be sure to ask around if you have questions about lifting and whatnot. And heck YES to the parkour. Do it!

I'll be interested on hearing how triathalon training goes!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)

Thanks!

ebm, to drop the weight I shifted my diet to something more high-protein low-carb than what I had been up until that point - not Paleo, because I was still eating things like brown rice and whole wheat pasta. I was also doing quite a bit of running, and quite honestly, not eating enough to support the habit, so I'm not entirely sure how much of that was muscle along with it...I honestly wish I'd found Nerd Fitness a while back so I could have avoided some of these mistakes...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LEVEL 1 HUMAN SCOUT

| STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 4 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 1 |