So, have you given Usana a try?

thatBrownCat

Okay. Just curious. Any Rebels here who have taken Usana, and what are their thoughts and experiences about it?

My relative invited me to attend their talk about it. They never mentioned the brand, until I was inside their office. 

Since I had spare time, I just opened my mind and listened. 

And as I listened, the talk just strengthened my belief to transition my diet (from processed to more vegetables), practice intermittent fasting (which I've done for 3 days), and of course, exercise every other day. 

My belief is that... why should I supplement my body? If I ear & move right, then it's okay, is't it?

What are your thoughts?

I never heard of that company so I looked it up. It seems to be in the same category as GNC, Super Supplements et al. In other words, they sell expensive powders and things purported to improve health. Thereby proving patent medicines and snake oil are not dead, merely evolved.

By the way, not mentioning a brand name until they've got you in their grasp is a common sales tactic, as is convincing people to market to their friends and family (they probably bribed your relative to bring you in for the pitch). Many churches do the same thing.

I wouldn't buy that stuff if I were you. A basic multivitamin is not a bad idea, but you can get a bottle of those for $10 at any drugstore. If you have a very intense exercise regimen and just can't squeeze enough protein into your diet to keep up, protein powder may be useful, but again it needn't be a fancy brand. You do not need protein powder at all unless you lift weights a lot. Other supplements are of no use, so don't waste your money.

Intermittent fasting should also be approached with caution. If I were you I'd cut the junk and learn to eat veggies before you go messing around with fasting. You are too young and too thin to really benefit from fasting.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I never heard of that company so I looked it up. It seems to be in the same category as GNC, Super Supplements et al. In other words, they sell expensive powders and things purported to improve health. Thereby proving patent medicines and snake oil are not dead, merely evolved.

By the way, not mentioning a brand name until they've got you in their grasp is a common sales tactic, as is convincing people to market to their friends and family (they probably bribed your relative to bring you in for the pitch). Many churches do the same thing.

I wouldn't buy that stuff if I were you. A basic multivitamin is not a bad idea, but you can get a bottle of those for $10 at any drugstore. If you have a very intense exercise regimen and just can't squeeze enough protein into your diet to keep up, protein powder may be useful, but again it needn't be a fancy brand. You do not need protein powder at all unless you lift weights a lot. Other supplements are of no use, so don't waste your money.

Intermittent fasting should also be approached with caution. If I were you I'd cut the junk and learn to eat veggies before you go messing around with fasting. You are too young and too thin to really benefit from fasting.

Too late. I bought was because... well, I didn't want to hurt her feelings. It's a poor excuse. But I did tell her I just want to be a consumer, instead of being a distributor. I still believe that improving my eating habits and exercising my body be done first. 

Good point. I weigh 54kg. the reason why I tried IF was to remove the belly fat around my waist. Though I've started to eat more vegetables and eat less processed stuff.

Thanks

Haha, my mother apparently swore by Usana to get her through her pregnancy with me (this was nearly 30 years ago). Can't help but laugh to hear it's still going strong.

As far as my actual take on it, it's the same as any multi-vitamin, and that's: Don't bother. Most multivitamins are loaded with nutrients that compete for the same receptors ("doorways") so more often than not, your body can only absorb a small portion of the pill and the rest simply goes to waste as expensive urine.

Eat a variety of whole foods and you'll get what you need. 

Intermittent fasting is not an optimal strategy for women. It can have great results with men, but it screws with the very important hormonal balance in a woman's body and therefore I would not recommend it for you.

"No-one tells a T-Rex when to go to sleep".

- Jim Wendler