Good earmuffs for sleep?

Basically, I'm staying in a dormitory, and everything's loud. Not just all the time loud, but the kind that startles you and keeps you awake. The doors are heavy, and people seem to love slamming doors. The problem is, I need to get to sleep early so I can get up at 5:00 AM to begin my workout routines.

I can't find earplugs strong enough, but I got an idea: What if I used ear muffs with the earplugs? 

So now I'm looking for earmuffs. I'm just having a hard time making sure I get the right pair. The ones that look comfy are advertised for keeping the cold off the ears, not sound reduction, and the sound reduction ear muffs are these giant, metallic headphones for shooting guns with. Now if I have to wear giant headphones to bed, I will, but I'd prefer not to.

Wear earplugs and go to bed early.  Sooner or later you'll get used to the noises and start sleeping through them.  (It happened to me; I lived in a very noisy low-rent apartment for a couple years.  I just started sleeping more soundly after a while.)

If you just can't get used to the noise, complain to your RA (or whatever they call dorm mommies these days).  Ask them to enforce the quiet rules.  If that doesn't work, ask to be moved to a quieter floor, and if THAT doesn't work, time to get your own pad.  You might actually find that independent housing is a better bargain, depending on your dorm's prices and meal plans.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Another option is trying to soundproof your room -- a kid in my old dorm was really into it and you can generally get the noise down significantly.

I agree with the talk to your RA-equivalent, if it gets really bad.  As someone that lives between party floors, you do tend to get used to it, but I understand the frustration completely.

Dwarf Rebel
Level 0

Walk to Mordor: 36.6/1779 miles

I tried the apartment route before. It wasn't worth the drama. Someday I will need an apartment, but for now, until I am 100% done with college and have a good-paying job, it's a no-go.

I would go to bed early, but I have night classes. Really the only reason I have to go to bed early is for ROTC Bootcamp, which I only do because I feel the need to physically challenge myself and prove that I don't give up and something-something...Besides that, it goes against my schedule completely, and I'd rather drop it and do training by myself. That way, I have more lee-way in terms of sleep, and can train at times that fit my schedule.

I tried talking to the manager of my dormitory about getting a single room or moving to another floor, but she said there's no singles available, and to check back tomorrow. I could talk to my RA about making a policy to not slam the doors, or enforcing the 10:00 AM courtesy hour thingie. Only thing is, it's not like everyone's up and about gettin' wild, the doors are just damn noisy.

I went to bootcamp, and for the first time, I managed to push through the exercises, but I puked and nearly fainted, afterwards. I tried to go to bed early last night, but my friend kept me up until 11 am discussing plans for our club, and then I couldn't fall to sleep past the noise until 12:00 AM. Then my roommate woke me up by accident at 3:49 AM when he was coming in to get some food and school books. So today, I only got roughly 4 hours of sleep, have slept through most of my classes, and didn't even attend bootcamp.