• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kuiken

Texas Method tweaks

This is kind of a mish-mash from previous advice on this forum, my experience of what's worked, and the Rippetoe's Practical Programming book.

Mon:
Vol Squat: 3x8-12 @ 75% of 3RM

Upper body (see below)

RDL: 3x8-12 @ ~60% of convential DL 3RM

Wed:

Light Squat 3x5 @ 65% 3RM

Upper body

Alternate power clean/snatch for 6x2-3

Fri:

Heavy Squat 3x3RM

Upper body

DL 1x3RM, take off 5kg x3, x2

Upper body:

Alternating bench press and overhead press with the same set/rep schemes as squats (so vol: 6x3, heavy:3x3). Would it be better to include a light workout or rather put in an upper body pull to balance out all the pushing? It would be arranged so that it would be before the heavy bench/OHP-would that hurt my PR potential v/s just having a light workout there? Something like:

vol bench | ??? | heavy bench | vol press | ??? | heavy press

Any suggestions for pulling exercises that would fit in?  I was thinking alternating chin/pull ups, especially since I can only do 2-3/set so needs some improving.

Also any other suggestions over all would be appreciated! I threw the RDL in because they’ve done wonders for my grip strength and I didn’t notice any negative impact on Friday’s DL. I tried deadlifting once a week as programmed by the original TM, but it actually caused my numbers to drop badly-probably not lifting heavy enough that I can’t recover fast enough yet. The cleans/snatchs are just for power and fun-I’m willing to change them if anyone has better ideas. I don't want to go too mad on adding extras in though as this gets me in/out of the gym in roughly 1hr (including warm up & cool down), but I can make extra time if it's something that'll pay off in my main lifts.

• Thanks 1

I googled Kroc rows and am keen to give them a try! I'll see what I'm feeling like and go from there on the day. 

Also just saw the "Before you post" sticky (sorry guys!) and added in the info below if that helps any.

Exercise Preference

• Prefer powerlifts and Olympic lifts

Current Physical Stats

• F
  • 169cm
  • 67kg

Previous Training History

• Previously on Starting Strength for about 1.5yrs, then switched to various other programs before coming back to it and upgrading to TM around Apr2015. I've been playing around with TM since then trying to find what works for me.

Current Training

• I was doing the above program for about 3-4 months but swapping between heavy/vol - bench/OHP without a light day and upper progress was slowing down, but I attributed that to being a woman. Got a hold of Practical Programming, ran Rip's version of TM for women as outlined in the book for a month and didn't see the same progress, decided to go back to my version and tweak the upper body part to see if that helps.
  • Current weights as of this month - 
  • Squat: 70kg (1RM)
  • Bench:  55kg (1RM)
  • OHP:  35kg (1RM)
  • Deadlift:  90kg (3RM)

Current Diet

• Normal diet with some calorie/carb cycling (for now just eating moderately healthy, tracking calories/macros, and comparing to how I lift)
  • Avg 1750, depending on activity for the day/how hungry I feel
  • Generally pretty even split 3 ways. I try to keep protein at at least 30% and go higher fat on rest days, higher carb on workout days.

Current Resources/Limitations

• I'd like to stick to 3 days/week schedule with the session being about +/- 1 hr

You can also check out the first Danger Method program in the link in my signature. It's written as four days a week but can be effectively done three. Just keep doing the next workout and making those gains.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2016 at 11:47 AM, Discon said:

Interesting that you do 3x8-12 on VD. What do you feel about this set/rep scheme vs. the traditional 5x5?

Few reasons: Primarily it saves time and means I don't hog the squat rack at the gym. I could probably use higher weights if I went for 5x5, but it would take longer and the rests would most likely be longer as well. Rip's Practical Programming also makes the case for women being more tolerant of volume work and needing higher reps than men (this is horribly paraphrased as I read that book a while ago, but that's the gist of it). There's also something mentally challenging about going past 5 reps that I enjoy, knowing that you're only 1/2 through your set and pushing on. And I seriously doubt I'm at the level where 3x8-12 vs 5x5 makes any sort of significant difference to my progress.

On 3/4/2016 at 3:58 PM, jdanger said:

You can also check out the first Danger Method program in the link in my signature. It's written as four days a week but can be effectively done three. Just keep doing the next workout and making those gains.

I just read over it and it looks bad ass-plus it would force me to do my damn abs, which generally get neglected. I'm running a cut now, so will give it a go when I finish next month as I think I will die if I try now. 

The power oly lifts should help with pulling.  Personally, I do 5x3 alternating on intensity day after 5RM squat, 5RM bench (i dropped OHP because i want to focus on bench) and 1RM Deadlift.

My day 2 is just 2x5 80% paused squats, 3x5 80% bench, 1x3-5 paused(if possible) 80% Deadlift with 3 sets on chin ups and 5x10 GHR or hamstring curls(depending on how messed up i feel after DL).

To help with the oly lifts either snatch/Clean pulls or high pulls at 3x3 after power variants would be beneficial.

I kinda just want to be able to refer back to this easily. I'm beginning a regular 5x5 program under the "guidance" of my boyfriend who has been training for awhile. I quite that because most of the time I will be on my own, except for bench-press days.  I like the numbers you've put together for a more varried workout. I think I might give it a go when I get a bit more into this!  Thank you!