The tavern doors creak beneath her hand as she pushes them aside and steps into the warm hubbub within. Her eyes sweep around the room, taking in the shouting, the dancing, the clatter of dishes and silverware, the thick, smokey air.

So this is where the quest begins, she thinks, setting her pack down by the wall and pulling up a chair. It's been a long time in coming, but at last, here are her companions for the road. 

Tomorrow will be the first day of the journey, and she can hardly wait to set off.

__

Hello folks! My name is SquirrelBandit, and I'm new here. 

Six years ago, I had a traumatic event that really messed up my life. Aside from recovering from physical injury, my career ambitions were destroyed, I developed PTSD and severe depression, dropped out of school, felt utterly disillusioned with the world, and went into hiding, doing nothing but play videogames for 12 hours a day for a couple years. I gained a lot of weight, as you might imagine, and destroyed any shreds of self esteem I had left. My living space became a gross mess, I had crippling anxiety, and I came very close to suicide more than once.

So here I am. I'm 27 now, and only now beginning to see a glimmer of hope for the future.

I'm working on losing weight, I've gone back to school, and I'm trying to break free of my shell of terrified timidity and follow the adventures my soul needs. I want to travel and see all the wonders the world has to offer. I want to move out of my mother's house and become self-sufficient, and have my own space to call mine. I want to re-embrace the hobbies that once brought me joy, and have fallen disused on the wayside. I feel like I have a lot of lost time to make up for.

2016 goals:

- reach goal weight of 160lbs

- finish the last of my community college classes and transfer to a big-kid college.

- finish the fantasy novel I had almost completed before everything fell apart

- get out "into the world" at least twice a week, and travel somewhere, or go into a new store in town, or some other slightly adventurous thing that gets me outside my house.

- find a way to afford to move out of Mom's house

I hope that we can all be companions on our quests, and travel these roads together for as long as we may. There's strength in numbers, and together, we can surely fight off the ogres and hill-bandits!

• Like 4

I'm so sorry about what you've been through. My background is very similar to yours. In fact, when I first ready your post, my reaction was "Wow, we could be soul sisters!"

Traumatic experience at college? Check. (I didn't drop out and pushed my limits until graduation, but sometimes I wish I hadn't.)

Isolating yourself from the society, hiding in your room and going back to living with your mother? Check.

Depression-related bad eating habits? Check.

Dying to see the world, but too scared to step out of your comfort zone? Check.

Dreams of becoming a writer crushed? Check.

Anyway, I found this incredibly supportive community and now fighting to get everything back. You've taken the first step by sharing your story. I suggest take some time to discover the forums and join the challenges when you're ready. That's why I'm doing, at least. I really, really want to see you thrive and overcome the difficulties life has thrown in your way. Because that means there's still hope for people like us :)

I'm so sorry about what you've been through. My background is very similar to yours. In fact, when I first ready your post, my reaction was "Wow, we could be soul sisters!"

Traumatic experience at college? Check. (I didn't drop out and pushed my limits until graduation, but sometimes I wish I hadn't.)

Isolating yourself from the society, hiding in your room and going back to living with your mother? Check.

Depression-related bad eating habits? Check.

Dying to see the world, but too scared to step out of your comfort zone? Check.

Dreams of becoming a writer crushed? Check.

Anyway, I found this incredibly supportive community and now fighting to get everything back. You've taken the first step by sharing your story. I suggest take some time to discover the forums and join the challenges when you're ready. That's why I'm doing, at least. I really, really want to see you thrive and overcome the difficulties life has thrown in your way. Because that means there's still hope for people like us :)

I hereby declare us to be sisters! :)

I am very sorry you've had to go through similar things, but glad that since you did, you're here where I can talk to you! It's gonna be a long road, but we'll make it.

• Like 1

I hereby declare us to be sisters! :)

I am very sorry you've had to go through similar things, but glad that since you did, you're here where I can talk to you! It's gonna be a long road, but we'll make it.

Aww, thank you :) You can talk to me any time! Sure, it's going to be a long road, but sometimes it's the journey that matters, right?