Paleo Backpacking?

My non-paleo opinion is nothing is going to kill you in a few days/weeks.  Carbs are typically favored for backpacking due to good calorie to weight ratio and ability to travel well.  There are different definitions of paleo so it's hard to tell whats on or off limits for you.  Swee potato flakes are not terrible.  A whole seet potato wrapped in foil cooks in a fire relatively quickly. Pouches of tuna, salmon, SPAM, chicken, or beef are heavier than jerky but ready to eat.  Fats are great calories to weight ratio.  Clarified butter is pretty stable for any length of time you are hiking.  lard or bacon grease is also stable to add calories.  Nut butters are plenty of calories.  They even make paleo MREs if you are made of money.

• Like 1

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just remember that Scooty Puff jr sucks!

Catch squirrels. Eat the squirrels.

Failing that, stock up on tuna pouches and nuts or as the above poster mentioned a few days off the wagon won't murder you. It'll come down to how much you're willing to haul and how long you're going to be doing this. Sweet potatoes can be cooked in campfire coals (wrapped in foil of course).

When I go camping I make a big bag of trail mix out of unsalted nuts and dried fruit. It's quite calorie-dense, filling, and portable.

• Like 1

My non-paleo opinion is nothing is going to kill you in a few days/weeks.  Carbs are typically favored for backpacking due to good calorie to weight ratio and ability to travel well.  There are different definitions of paleo so it's hard to tell whats on or off limits for you.  Swee potato flakes are not terrible.  A whole seet potato wrapped in foil cooks in a fire relatively quickly. Pouches of tuna, salmon, SPAM, chicken, or beef are heavier than jerky but ready to eat.  Fats are great calories to weight ratio.  Clarified butter is pretty stable for any length of time you are hiking.  lard or bacon grease is also stable to add calories.  Nut butters are plenty of calories.  They even make paleo MREs if you are made of money.

Ha, you think I'd be hitchhiking if I were made of money? But yeah I saw those MREs they look pretty fucking good. 

"Our destiny is in the stars, so let's go and search for it."

Hey, some folks hitchhike for the adventure. ;)

When I am backpacking it's trail hikes to see nature and all that crap.  But I consider trying to turn regular grocery store food into light and easy backpacking food more satisfying than buying mountain house or other pre made backpacking meals.  It's part of the challenge and is literally a third the cost.  But, thats also me getting to spend maybe 6 to 9 days on the trail in a good year so be able to plan it for a month adds to the enjoyment. 

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just remember that Scooty Puff jr sucks!

I will observe that paleo diets are based on the primeval hunter-gatherer diet, and that there's a reason people invented grains: foraged food doesn't store well or travel light, and it's also quite expensive.  The only reason you can eat meat and greens at all is thanks to the billions of other humans who live on grain.

What you buy and pack depends a lot on how much you're hitchhiking and how much you're camping.  Are you planning to cook in motel microwaves?  Live on supermarket delis?  Bring a camp stove?

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.