Not this damn dungeon AGAIN

Miw_Sher: thanks but I already cut the hair (although it's rapidly growing back out, gonna need a trim soon ... I wish white girls could get away with shaved heads).

Scooby Chick: you're a doll, thanks. <3

While we're here, let me just pause to say .... *deep breath*  FUCK NETWORKING.  No srsly.  

I know, I know, this is how humanity operates.  But seriously, fuck you LinkedIn.  And Google and Facebook and Microsoft and yeah you, Homeland Security (I know you scooped this data, 100 years from now you might actually get around to reading it).  And fuck the spammers on this site, too.  I give you all my priceless time and attention, and you give me annoying ads and creepy data stalking.  I don't want to hand over my personal data so it can haunt the cybersphere forever and ever.  I want my privacy.  I want anonymity.  I want my right to be forgotten.  And I don't want to keep being judged by the info I am forced to share, but I know that there will be judgment, lots and lots of it.

fuck judgment.

(As a historian, it's exciting to live in an age when information never dies ... but it's also deeply terrifying.)

*another deep breath*  ... anyways.  I suppose I shouldn't cry about job hunting in the 21st century, it's easier than ever to get workers hooked up with employers.  I can job hunt right from my living room!  Unfortunately, that also means I have a million times more competitors, because so can everybody else on Earth.  sigh.  Sturgeon's Law should be listed as the fourth law of thermodynamics.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

*hugs* it kind of does feel like fishing in the ocean. It's part of the reason why I didn't go with full time freelance, 80% of the job is just in marketing yourself (sales + me = ick). And it all depends on the market, too. If you wanted an HR job in St. Louis I know of many right now (but then again, Seattle >>>>> St. Louis. Not to dis my hometown, but... Seatlle ;D ). It's all down to how you stand out against the crowd, which imo our current interview process doesn't do a great job of highlighting.

Alternate (random) thought: Have you considered networking in local communities you share interests in? Sometimes that 2 degrees of separation could come up with surprising results.

Fun fact: I once added a Shakira song to my Pandora and suddenly all my commercials were in Spanish. I didn't really mind, but now I wonder what ads I was getting from Nine Inch Nails and Skrillex on the same seed XD

Lol, I get like one ad at a time on Pandora, but it's the SAME ad every ten minutes. For like three weeks in a row. Recently it was an ad for a fashion app. (Demographic fail. I'm completely immune to online clothes shopping, and only buy physical clothes under duress.) Now it's a trailer for some suspense movie. Go figure.

I'm not super active with local 'communities' but I'm tapping such groups as I belong to. So far no luck. A few leads that didn't go anywhere but will keep nudging. (Mom helpfully suggests I go door to door at the mall with resumes. Cause that's totally how managers look for labor these days... not that I haven't tried it...)

Meanwhile the rest of my life, while not in hell, is flirting with the upper reaches of purgatory. I wrenched my shoulder and back (and can't get hold of my PT), my rent is due and the checkbook's missing (they don't take digital, it's a charmingly rustic company), I'm in a horrible mood and I've been avoiding social engagements due to being broke, wounded and depressed.

This is so not how my life was supposed to turn out.

spent a week moping around the house and playing video games instead of looking for work.  At least my back finally got better.  Guess it's time to try again... off to network.

LinkedIn is being utterly useless.  It shows me lots of cool jobs I don't qualify for, and ... oh yeah, a 'volunteering' job at a local for-profit business.  Benefits include "resume building."  GTFO.

still networking.  Still no job.  

The next relative who repeats the same "just keep trying" advice she or he has told me 70 times will be rudely told off and shunned for a week.  So I sure hope nobody tries it soon, cause we're having a small family reunion next weekend..... and I was so sure I'd be employed by then.  Ugh.

What kind of position are you looking for? And what region? 

LinkedIn is a tricky beast. Instead of flat applying for jobs, find people are are supervisors of jobs you want. Reach out and ask for their advice on how to best 'break in' to the company for that role (You have the experience to back it and you're capable but a lot of companies aren't a straightforward apply here type thing since the candidate pool is in favor of the employer nowadays). 

Even if you don't get a job right away, you make a connection and built a relationship with someone in the area you want to be in. If you keep up with a coffee or lunch now and then they'll keep you in mind whenever they hear of anything similar. Pain in the butt and takes a while, but it's a little more interesting than just straight applying to jobs!

• Like 1

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Study meditation and embrace mindfulness.

Their is pride and joy in every job.  Learn to love every moment of working.  The ability to find that joy is a developed skill.  Not a given implicit in the job.

Because chances are even in your dream job their unpleansant moments.  But you would just choose to focus on the things you love.

Good luck.

Looking for a fun, easy way to work out at home without judgement?  Boxercise your way into shape with you virtual trainer.  Download the FREE "Boxing Combos" app for Iphone and Android.  Available on Itunes and the Google Play Store - http://bit.ly/1mWHHeO

I meditate semiregularly, have done for years.  (Just today decided to give Headspace a try.  It's not bad, although pretty beginner-level stuff...)  While mindfulness has some benefits for everyone (it's great for inducing temporary calm and making you more aware of your mental habits, which most people lack), I have discovered that it doesn't cure everything.  I appreciate the advice though.

on another note: just found my old copy of "What Color is Your Parachute."  Useful info in there, whoop!  Now to reread it.  (And possibly stuff it down the throat of a few people who keep telling me to just send out more resumes... according to the actual job-hunting authority, sending out resumes almost never results in a job offer.  Which I guess means more networking... eek.)

• Like 1

Just applied for my first HR job ... at the county Dept of Corrections.  Had to answer a lot of very detailed questions about whether I've ever used drugs, driven drunk, or raped anyone.  (uh that'd be no, no, and hell no.  Geez, what kind of lunatics do they get applying to work in Human Resources??)

Pays really well, although DOC might be a challenging place to work...

On 3/29/2016 at 0:24 AM, Raincloak said:

Just applied for my first HR job ... at the county Dept of Corrections.  Had to answer a lot of very detailed questions about whether I've ever used drugs, driven drunk, or raped anyone.  (uh that'd be no, no, and hell no.  Geez, what kind of lunatics do they get applying to work in Human Resources??)

Pays really well, although DOC might be a challenging place to work...

My Fiance works as a guard in what sounds like a similar sort of place (he's a deputy sheriff in a county jail, I googled Dept of Corrections and it sounds similar). If it's similar, it might be an interesting job, honestly. I'm glad you found something to apply for!

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

Sorry, I thought everyone knew "Department of Corrections" is the official goverment euphemism for "jail / prison."  (In my state at least.  Maybe in yours it's different.)  In the same way "internal revenue" means taxes, and the former War Department is now the Department of Defense.  Around here what TV calls jail guards, we call correctional officers.  I would remember to use the proper terms if I worked there of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raincloak said:

Sorry, I thought everyone knew "Department of Corrections" is the official goverment euphemism for "jail / prison."  (In my state at least.  Maybe in yours it's different.)  In the same way "internal revenue" means taxes, and the former War Department is now the Department of Defense.  Around here what TV calls jail guards, we call correctional officers.  I would remember to use the proper terms if I worked there of course.

My state calls it jail as far as I know xD I figured it meant that, but I'm of the opinion that it's better to sound unsure than to make myself look stupid by being wrong (AKA- I'm insecure haha)

But I hope you can get the job, the officers at the jail he works for are pretty awesome. Those places come across to me as super chill in regards days off and scheduling, as well as the fact that working for the government can 1) look really good if you decide to try to find something different and 2) gives you great benefits

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

The job I applied for was HR, not being an actual guard.  I guess I'd be the person recruiting the guards.  Which is just fine with me, I don't actually want to be a corrections officer; pushing around the wretched hive just isn't my cup of tea.  (Also a female DOC officer was murdered by an inmate a few years ago.  Procedures have obviously been updated, but still, I'd rather work with people who don't have a motive to attack me.)

I got an email from the county saying my application's been received and they'll get back to me sooner or later.  It's the government, their hiring cycle takes a while.  Meanwhile I must keep looking, rent is due and I can't pay it...... sigh, grown up problems.  Good to know someone's still following :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Raincloak said:

The job I applied for was HR, not being an actual guard.  I guess I'd be the person recruiting the guards.  Which is just fine with me, I don't actually want to be a corrections officer; pushing around the wretched hive just isn't my cup of tea.  (Also a female DOC officer was murdered by an inmate a few years ago.  Procedures have obviously been updated, but still, I'd rather work with people who don't have a motive to attack me.)

I got an email from the county saying my application's been received and they'll get back to me sooner or later.  It's the government, their hiring cycle takes a while.  Meanwhile I must keep looking, rent is due and I can't pay it...... sigh, grown up problems.  Good to know someone's still following :)

Yeah, but at least the guards tend to be overall decent folks from what I've seen. You'd probably be running a lot of the booking-people-in paperwork as well if I had to guess.

I'm glad the app has been received, I hope they get back to you soon! Those sorts of places sometimes don't seem take as long to get back initially, they just get slow when they have to run tests on people. I hope you can figure out rent! 

And I'm definitely following, I want to encourage you where I can :) 

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

Did some juggling and borrowing, managed to pay rent one more month.  Took a good three hours and a long trip out of town to redeem some old savings bonds (yay low-cost credit unions and their minimum service).  I can see why people who are financially unsound tend to be physically unsound as well.  This stress ain't healthy.  But it will be fixed soon (I hope!)

Got interviews scheduled for a couple of temporary, very low paying jobs.  Not sure I will get said jobs (nor that I want them) but money is money.

Also nearly lost my cool at a friend who bragged on facespace about how great it is to be an adult and be all responsible, self sufficient, etc.  I wanted to smack her, because this friend lives rent-free with her parents (at age 30), drives a car they bought for her after she wrecked her previous car, and works maybe 5 hours a week.  Adulting she is not.  While this doesn't make her a bad person, it reminded me that my lifestyle is of my own choosing, and given the choice, earning my own living is what I really want.  Even though I whine a lot about working, I'd still pick my life over hers.

• Like 1

Let me preface by saying that IRL, I'm an employment facilitator.

In English, that means I write resumes and cover letters and help people figure out how to answer awkward interview questions. I sometimes moonlight as a career counselor and help people figure out how to bridge the chasm between what they're good at, what matters to them, and actual rewarding work. I walk people through online applications. I am NOT in Human Resources. I am the person who helps people get through the rigamarole to GET in front of a Human Resources person.

Advice is the one free thing nobody wants; so feel free to ignore or disregard. But we don't really go in for "traditional" job search at my workplace, so you might get a few ideas that better fit your style.

One company who is doing some really interesting stuff around alt-job-search is a place called Human Workplace. The general philosophy (I won't get into it for a page, you can go read) is that instead of begging someone to give you a break, you approach it as providing a valuable service that nobody else can to solve a business problem, or as they call it, a pain.
http://www.humanworkplace.com/how-to-write-your-human-voiced-resume-2/

Stop thinking in terms of finding a job. I tell my clients that it's generally more effective to make a list of COMPANIES and either (a) watch for jobs that fit you and will get you in the door or (b) approach them directly with a cover letter and resume or (c) develop a work proposal for a gap in services that you see and suggest you work together to CREATE a position.
http://cannexus.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Beyond-Traditional-Job-Development-CANNEXIS-JOBDEV.pdf

http://www.jcfswinnipeg.org/documents/WinnipegJCFSTopTenTipsforaStrategicJobSearchbyDeniseBissonnette.pdf

Changing the focus from looking for work to looking for a place you fit is usually very empowering for my clients. You can figure out what companies have the CULTURE you want (hey, tea at my desk, tshirts, jeans on Friday, listening to work when I'm doing data entry) and then go after them instead of wasting a bunch of time on jobs that, let's face it, you don't want.

A lot of this flies in the face of traditional job search, which is fine. If traditional job search worked for more than 15% of the population, we'd have a lot happier staff in the world. I'm an introvert. I loathe traditional networking. I haven't worn a skirt to an interview in years - I'm with you on the hose - and I buy men's dress shoes and nobody seems to notice. :) I look at all interviews as "good training" (military term) and always send a thank you card and ask for feedback. 

Looking for work when you are being forced to, especially when it triggers anxiety, is really hard. Like Torment Six hard. Try to be gentle and practice as much self care as you can. Best of luck to you. 

-Shadow-

• Like 2

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" (Adam Savage)

"My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier." (Anthony Hopkins)

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." (Arthur Ashe)