Needing Help. I think that I have my diet in check but weight isn't moving

MatthewD

Ok

I am a bit of a problem. Last Tuesday, my weight was at 282.7 which was one of the lowest it has been in a while but I haven't been over 295 in over two years. Anyway, since then I have upped my water intake, I am doing at least 3 L a day, mainly veggies and meats with some carbs like rice and one baked potato except for 1 cheat meal. I have cut out my diet cokes for the most part, I might have 1 every two day but the weight is moving if anything I have been heavier. Usually around 284-285 range. I do some form of exercise each day, with my go to being pushups, around 60-100 usually per day. I am starting to walk the hill at our house, it is a very steep grade, 3 times at least which is about 0.5 miles in 10 minutes. Ok I am in need of some help please. 

Typical breakfast is 4 eggs, about 2 oz of cheese, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, and peppers. I also have a 20 oz coffee with coconut sugar and creamer. 

Lunch is usually broccoli or some of the steamer veggie collection NO rice for the most part and tuna, chicken, beef or pork 

Dinner is pretty much a repeat of lunch. 

Write down everything you eat.  My guess is there are things sneaking through between meals, and your brain just isn't noticing them because they aren't falling in your 'major' meals.  Assuming absolutely no physical activity, you burn, just by existing, about 2500 calories a day.  So you need to eat about 2000 calories a day to lose ~0.5 pounds a week.  It may be slightly less weight loss due to your age, but the rule of thumb still is a good place to try.

But I'd put money on you're eating more than you think you are.  So check that first.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

A large cup of coffee with sugar and "creamer" (which is not cream at all, mostly corn syrup and vegetable oil) may be as bad as Coke. It depends how much you put in.

Coconut sugar is exactly like any other sugar, btw.

Switch to black coffee or tea and walk more. Always walk more. Hills are excellent but half a mile a day is not enough.

And be patient. You didn't get to near 300 lbs in a week, you're not getting back to 180 in a week either.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Thanks I'll figure it appreciate the help and I knew what coconut sugar was and I have been logging the food that's how I can quote to you what I have been eating.

Right, but I mean everything you've been eating.  I said you're probably not noticing things slipping through the cracks, because that most definitely happens.  We get super excited that we logged our big meals, but the small stuff slips our mind.  The "I'll have a nibble" stuff.  Sometimes it takes a direct statement to get you to double check yourself.

I know my hand tends to wander into trail mixes and nuts and crackers when I'm waiting for a cup of coffee to be made at work.  I tend to not really realize it until I'm back at my desk happily munching away.  Just because I had a nibble doesn't mean those calories somehow don't count.  They do, and they definitely can add up depending on how often I grab a cup of coffee.

So it's great you're logging.  I'm just asking you to double check that you are in fact logging everything you are eating.  And if you are, then take a look at the portion sizes, and take the time to weight and measure them out.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

On the coffee point, what helped for me and some other people I know: slowly decrease the cream and sugar. It'll be hard to go cold turkey on black coffee. For a few weeks put in 2/3 to 3/4 the amount, rinse and repeat.

I agree about tracking. I've even tracking on and off for 12 years. It is so easy to let things slip through the cracks. Fats to grease the pan, the butter on the toast, taste tests, snacking while cooking.

Also serving sizes are way smaller than we think.

My favorite story on this was when I looked at my bag of potatoes and it gave a medium potato's info. I got out my food scale and weighed some potatoes in grams. A medium potato is TINY. In comparison to what we see in restaurants. Ditto for most foods.

A helpful tip is to weigh out serving sizes for a few weeks to get a handle on portions.

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

Thanks I'll figure it appreciate the help and I knew what coconut sugar was and I have been logging the food that's how I can quote to you what I have been eating.

Hi Matt,

I am relatively new to the forum but have following nerd fitness for years.  

I like how you are tracking your food at the moment and that you are doing your pushups and walks up the hill.

I might be able to help you with a bit more info, I have been a trainer for a number of years and ran my own CrossFit gym for 7 years and currrently work for CrossFit HQ.

How much are you eating a day? Since you are tracking it it will be easier to figure out and feel free to send it to me.

What is your goal?  Are you far away from it or pretty close?

The more info we get the easier it will be to find out what we can do to help.

Look forward to hearing from you buddy