Sandy Gray's Log - BeerRanger

Rebellion, 

The following is my Battle Log - definitely not designed to be a daily occurrence, but a way for me to track changes and force a certain amount of accountability.  

Wish me luck, give me suggestions, take something for yourself, enjoy your time here - thanks for checking in!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will become more physically fit to:

• maximize productivity, success, and length of life;
  • ward off depression, laziness, and injury;
  • become healthy, antifragile, and great-looking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am someone who has let health and fitness deteriorate - through laziness.  I cannot play guitar, read books with ease, or keep myself continually fed with well-made meals.

I am somebody who will be strong enough to save his own life and maintain body fat levels below 15%.  I will continually improve at home and work, be able to cook awesome meals, be well-read, and be able to impress with my guitar playing.

Beginning Measurements:

Height

6'7"

Weight

206.8 lbs

Body Fat %

17.0 %

Neck

16.00"

Chest

39.00"

Bicep L

13.00"

Bicep R

13.00"

Waist

33.00"

Hips

37.00"

Thigh L

24.50"

Thigh R

24.75"

Calf L

15.50"

Calf R

15.75"

"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.

It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

BeerRanger  *  Battle Log  *  Current Challenge

Epic Kingdom Quest: A Note

One of the more difficult, time-consuming, expensive parts of my life is home-ownership.  I purchased a fairly large house and live in it alone (save for my 2 dogs).  My lifestyle has always included keeping MANY hobbies (none mastered) which take up time.  As such, I live by the idea that I can have many hobbies if I keep them relatively low-maintenance.  That is, owning a boat (I don't) would be fun, but the maintenance for upkeep, cleanings, towing time, and storage would cut into my many other hobbies.  Therefore, when I start a hobby, I work very hard to make it low maintenance (unfortunately, this often means throwing a lot of money or time at it).  I have yet to reach this threshold with my own home.  

To make things interesting, I am considering my home my own personal "Kingdom".  I will work on the kingdom upgrades and maintenance to better my living situation, and turn it low-maintenance.  Furthermore, to keep with the theme, I have designated different parts of my house as different parts of a kingdom - my garage, the stables; my basement, the tavern; my master bedroom, the chambers.  As I 'upgrade' each part of my kingdom to get it to where I want it, I will check off that part in my Epic Kingdom Quest.  Each part of the kingdom (and a Complete Kingdom) quest are given experience so a fully completed kingdom gives this King (BeerRanger) an Epic Level Up!

This is how I 'gamify' my home ownership.  I'm open to suggestions and comments!

It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

Quest Rewards

An important part of any quest is, undoubtedly, the reward.  As we all know, a reward should benefit us not only in the short term, but in the long term.  A quest reward should further our ability to take on the next quest, level up, and generally be awesome at life.  This post will be my running log of quest rewards moving forward.  The quests and rewards will surely change over time.  

Note:  The quests are a mix of 4-week challenges, goals moving forward, and character epic quests.

Quest: Begin a Nutrition & Fitness Plan [complete!]

Reward: Obtain a lifting bench, bar, and squat rack to set up a home gym [complete!]

Quest: Walk 1830 miles this year

RewardTBD

Quest: Perform 25 pull-ups, consecutively

Reward: Obtain a hunting bow

Quest: Perform 100 push-ups, consecutively

Reward: Obtain new hiking boots

Quest: Perform 200 squats, consecutively

RewardTBD

Quest: Perform 200 Lunges, consecutively

RewardTBD

Quest: Perform 150 Dips, consecutively

RewardTBD

Quest: Read 25 books this year [underway - 2/25]

Reward: TBD

Quest: Perfect Doc Watson's "Windy & Warm" [hilariously out of reach... for now]

Reward: Obtain a digital piano to start on a new musical quest

Quest: Brew 100 gallons of beer this year

Reward: TBD

Challenges

Challenge #1: Feb 1 through Feb 26, 2016

1.  Paleo breakfasts, every day

2.  One vegetable with a meal, every day

3.  8 total workouts (average 2 per week)

4.  5 minutes of guitar practice, 4 days a week

Result:  100%

Challenge #2: Feb 29 through Mar 25, 2016

1.  One vegetable with a meal, 5 days/week + 4 large glasses of water 3 days/week

2.  Set a new PR in pull-ups + walk 5+ miles one day a week

3.  Play guitar for 7+ minutes a day, 3 days per week

4.  Complete 2+ books

Result:  100%

Nowhere in the pages of history can one find a greater champion of justice!

The Lone Ranger is perhaps the most attractive figure ever to come out of the West. Through his daring, his riding and his shooting, this mystery rider won the respect of the entire Golden Coast--the West of the old days, where every man carried his heart on his sleeve and only the fittest remained to make history. Many are the stories that are told by the lights of the Western campfire concerning this romantic figure. Some thought he was on the side of the outlaw, but many knew that he was a lone rider, dealing out justice to the law abiding citizenry.  

None knew where he came from and none knew where he went.

• Like 1

Hey dude,

I know this was an older thread of yours but I can't help but comment. Love it! I can relate to a lot of what you're saying, especially having a lot of hobbies and mastering very few of them. Looks like you've got a great way forward though, and I think I need to put into action the same methods you have to get those things accomplished. 

Great work on the first challenge and it looks like you're crushing your second already! 

Sick post on the Lone Ranger btw. 

Thanks, Hart!

I actually save this post for updates regularly - the first couple posts I will update when I feel like it/have progress to report.  That's how I keep track rather than a 'daily' log.  

I live and work in Wyoming, the western frontier, and although I look to a few of the more-known 'Rangers' (from LOTR, Link from Zelda, what have you) I like the Lone Ranger as well because I have access to horses and guns to live the wild west lifestyle.