• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

mkenyon2

Can I get a buddy to help me get in shape for hikes?

I've done a few section hike 2 or 3 day overnights on the AT. I've found that I top out at about 10 miles a day. 2 days of that and my knees and ankles start screaming. I've added trekking poles and a knee brace which helps. But I'm sure my weight (210 lbs) doesn't help.

It's January and spring is around the corner. I'm looking for folks to chat with online who will scold me when I don't get up and exercise in the morning, and help me along. Anybody willing to help? (I'm new to the rebellion.)

I'm looking to get more in shape this year for hiking also. I hope to do a multi day hike in Sept. I have never backpacked yet. My first backpacking trip is in early March. How do you plan on preparing? Or are you just looking for general fitness? My knees and ankles aren't up to par I think from the extra weight. I am in the middle of trying to put together a plan. 

In the past I would prepare by trying to walk a mile or 2 a day. But this was around my neighborhood without weight. On a trail things aren't as smooth, and depending on the gear you carry could be up to 30 lbs. I'm looking for general fitness. Would love to have a buddy to call me out on the carpet when I slip out of my routine. First tho, I need a good routine.

I'm thinking of setting a schedule where I exercise for 30 minutes each morning, and then walk the dog. I enjoy walking, but the dog seems to make it more of a drag, stopping so frequently.

• Like 1

I'm a newbie to the Rebellion as well, but I'm working my tail off to be in better shape for hiking and skiing.  I'm in the same boat. 10-12 miles, and I'm just spent.  My weight certainly isn't helping the situation.  I have several 18-20 mile, 3,000-5,000 vert. ft. hikes I want to finish this year to finish my ADK 46r (I'm at 31 now), so I'm diving in to bodyweight training 3 times a week and walking/XC skiing every opportunity I have.  I can't do any deep backcountry trips until March due to a wee little bit of the near death getting me a few months ago, but that's almost done with.  

I'm a newbie to the Rebellion as well, but I'm working my tail off to be in better shape for hiking and skiing.  I'm in the same boat. 10-12 miles, and I'm just spent.  My weight certainly isn't helping the situation.  I have several 18-20 mile, 3,000-5,000 vert. ft. hikes I want to finish this year to finish my ADK 46r (I'm at 31 now), so I'm diving in to bodyweight training 3 times a week and walking/XC skiing every opportunity I have.  I can't do any deep backcountry trips until March due to a wee little bit of the near death getting me a few months ago, but that's almost done with.  

• Like 3

In the past I would prepare by trying to walk a mile or 2 a day. But this was around my neighborhood without weight. On a trail things aren't as smooth, and depending on the gear you carry could be up to 30 lbs. I'm looking for general fitness. Would love to have a buddy to call me out on the carpet when I slip out of my routine. First tho, I need a good routine.

I'm thinking of setting a schedule where I exercise for 30 minutes each morning, and then walk the dog. I enjoy walking, but the dog seems to make it more of a drag, stopping so frequently.

I put together a program for myself for a month based off of The Outdoor Athlete and a little from Training for the New Alpinism. It has cardio for 4 days a week and some strength specifically aiming at the legs and core. I will see how that works out. It is a part of my challenge. So I plan on 4 days of cardio, with two days having strength and core. I am trying to figure out how to get better balance though.

• Like 1

Hi!

I love hiking and would be happy to help scold you for not hiking! :) I won't be able to do it daily though. I don't have regular internet access.

The best training for hiking is to hike, but I know not everyone can hike everyday. Walking with weight definitely helps, even if it's on flat ground. Core strength is important, and lots of squats! :) 
I backpack fairly often, usually once every 2 or 3 months, and camp a little more often than that. I kind of cheat though, cause I'm a park ranger, and have easy trail access.
So how do we know when to scold you? lol

• Like 1

I try to stay in packing shape by "rucking" on the local trail system on the weekends. I have a smallish GoRuck pack that I use for my laptop during the week, load it with textbooks (wrapped in a plastic bag for protection), put on my boots, and do a 4+mile walk in the woods. Walking with a load and no agenda on rough surfaces is great for my mind and traps :)

If ankles, knees are an issue for you, you should definitely be training those in the "off season." Lunges, side-to-side lunges, clamshells, leg lifts, single-leg step ups, curb hops (calf burners!), shoulder shrugs, single-leg toe touches... My philosophy is to build up my balance muscles by being as irregular  and single-sided as I can so that when I get on the trail the repeated abuse of walking on the trail doesn't distract me from being in the moment. 

Just want to say: go you! I'm training to hike the Rockies with my son this summer. Haven't really hiked in something like 16 years, and I was a noob then too. 

We've got some time, so we're both strength training, running 2x per week, and hiking once a week. I imagine that'll change over the months.