Thom kills his first troll

Thom Stépan

Keep on whacking and hacking at that troll, Thom! Midweek - hit it hard!

"<" is something I see often in a day... I may need to start looking at code in a different way!

Is there a ">", sort of like reversed cards in the Tarot?

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

H'mm some do see the runes in the reverse and as the negative meaning of the the rune similar to the tarot. Not surprising really when 20th century rune divination was heavily influenced by tarot divination.

There is no direct evidence that the runes were used for divination, and only limited evidence for their usage in magic. The anti-woo camp in Heathenry use them strictly for writing and nothing else.

Personally when I have used them for divination in the past, I have trusted to intuition and the influences of other runes to see if they are 'positive' or 'negative'. Though I haven't performed divination in many years (about 7 or 8).

With Ken I am really sensing the fire in the belly, determination, will/drive to succeed.

The rune poem literally refers to a torch (light) burning in the Halls where the nobles rest inside.

But I am sensing the inner fire that drives us to achieve noble deeds.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 5

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Hey man how's week 2 going

Pretty good so far, four meditation sessions in, two broadsword sessions, no strength training but I am switching in tabata sprints this week with my sore elbow (again). Sugar is high at an average of 72 grams per day. Best watch that.

• Like 2

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

oooh do you have tendonitis? I spent months getting over that last year. Mine wasn't that painful, but it made me nervous about making it worse. Anyway, hope whatever you have clears up fast.

I don't mean to minimize your beliefs in any way, but it made me smile to think of Ken in the context of a command line prompt. (again not to trivialize the rune) it strikes me as a reminder all kinds of work can be noble and all kinds of goals require fire and determination.

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

H'mm some do see the runes in the reverse and as the negative meaning of the the rune similar to the tarot. Not surprising really when 20th century rune divination was heavily influenced by tarot divination.

There is no direct evidence that the runes were used for divination, and only limited evidence for their usage in magic. The anti-woo camp in Heathenry use them strictly for writing and nothing else.

Personally when I have used them for divination in the past, I have trusted to intuition and the influences of other runes to see if they are 'positive' or 'negative'. Though I haven't performed divination in many years (about 7 or 8).

With Ken I am really sensing the fire in the belly, determination, will/drive to succeed.

The rune poem literally refers to a torch (light) burning in the Halls where the nobles rest inside.

But I am sensing the inner fire that drives us to achieve noble deeds.

Ah, that makes sense. I don't use reversed cards, either, but also trust to intuition and the surrounding cards to read something in the negative sense. 

Ken sounds like a very good rune to be meditating on to achieve your goals!

• Like 2

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

It would seem to be. But then that is also as much about me, my interpretation of Swain's translation, where I am in life right now, what is influencing me, as much as the rune itself.

• Like 2

Some days I hate life.

My 9 year old is crying and wanting her and all the kids to move to Alice Springs and live with her Dad. Bec and I, and after some thought Theo can move to WA to live with my parents.

The thing that is her sperm donor went to jail for crimes against humanity. She doesn't actually know what he did (Bec's choice), though she knows he went to jail.

And she thinks all the kids would be happy living with him. Because he is her favouritest daddy.

It hurt no denying it. She didn't mean to hurt me I know that. I just hate that she is suffering.

• Like 1

Just venting my friends.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about that man, it stinks.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

You seem like a great father. It's tough being a kid. You don't have a lot of power, and your parents impose decisions that are wise but not necessarily enjoyable. "I want to live with my "real" mom/dad" is a sort of power play. Its one thing a kid can say that's hurtful and hard to argue with. I'm not a parent, so the only thing I have to contribute comes from having been a kid a long time ago.

I'm guessing a more helpful thing would be just to say, I'm here quietly supporting :-)

• Like 4

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I'm so sorry to hear that. Raising kids is definitely anything but easy. I've heard they're responsible for life's greatest joys...and greatest heartbreaks. My heart goes out to you and your family.

• Like 1

oooh do you have tendonitis? I spent months getting over that last year. Mine wasn't that painful, but it made me nervous about making it worse. Anyway, hope whatever you have clears up fast.

I don't mean to minimize your beliefs in any way, but it made me smile to think of Ken in the context of a command line prompt. (again not to trivialize the rune) it strikes me as a reminder all kinds of work can be noble and all kinds of goals require fire and determination.

I had golfers elbow (similar to tennis elbow but on the inside of the arm if that makes sense) in that left arm a couple of years ago, it plays up when I push things too hard. The combination of sword-work and pushups probably tweaked it.

On the Ken rune I am not offended by your comments, and yes it is a useful reminder that even something like coding needs determination and has an inherent nobility within it.

• Like 2

Thanks my friends, venting here was the only place I could express my feelings freely. It was more therapeutic for me than anything. I still kissed my beautiful daughter goodnight and read her a bedtime story.

My poor Emmy loves hard and deep, not seeing her biological is very painful for her. It has been three years since she last saw him, before he went to jail. When she is old enough to understand the crime she will be told, and I will be the one hugging her as she cries. I will be the one who walks her down the aisle, I will be GrandDad to her kids, I will be there when he is a distant memory.

May his liver disease take him and his soul dwell in Nastrond forever.

• Like 5

By the way here are common alternative shapes to the Ken rune. The one on the right is the general Anglo-Saxon version. The one on the left is the Elder Futhark version.

97c0ba9d452a880774c9211a88aff68e.jpg

• Like 2

Hugs for difficult parenting situation. Never forget what you said up there: you are there for her. It does make a difference. A big one. *sympathies all around*

About runes: I love reading along here. I have a different understanding of the runes, a different framework, so to speak, but it is so good and healthy and inspiring to read along on your discoveries and your journey. Thank you deeply for sharing.

That Troll is going DOWN

*pompoms* Morag *cheering*

• Like 2

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Week Two Summary

Goal One: Strength Training - Block

Been nursing my elbow this week. Switched in the Tabata sprints on the exercise bike as a substitute. Only got one session in.

Time to get the body moving this week.

Goal Two: Meditation - Hit

I had a problem with exhaustion this week. I still managed four sessions though. I did try for a fifth, but literally could not focus when I got out to the shed.

Goal Three: Weapons Training - Hit

Five sessions this week, being careful with my elbow. I am so loving this. I managed a short session (about 10min) and a decent session in yesterday afternoon. To bring up my five sessions for the week.

Goal Four: Sugar - Dodge

I didn't do so well here this week. A few bad choices put my average up. At 77g for the week I am still under my 80g max so I can't really complain. I am also going to revise my long term goal of being under 50g per day on average. MFP doesn't distinguish between natural occurring sugars and added sugar. So if I hit 60-70g and I have eaten fruit to get that I see no reason to panic. Otherwise I am not going to eat any fruit at all. That is not a healthy option either, even if I am not a big fan of fruit.

Apart from this week, pretty much all my sugar is coming from dairy (milk in my coffee) and fruit. Both natural sources of sugar and generally acceptable.

Another two hits in this week.

• Like 4

This week's rune is Gyfu, the gift.

5da2e59c0e4a2883bc2991a69f5393a7.jpg

• Like 3

Good job on week 1, that troll must be reeling by now.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I find Wodening's choice of glee rather interesting. It can be glossed as happiness, but there is also the link to singing (think Glee Club). Etymology online says that glee means entertainment, mirth with an implication of music. So this line could be song and praise, or fun and praise. Think of Christmas and the entertainment of the gift giving ritual. It is always worth experiencing, watching people unwrap their presents, giving thanks (praise) to the person who gave the gift.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=glee&allowed_in_frame=0

• Like 3