Lyniffer - Rise of the Valkyrie Pt 2 (This time Ill kick ass)

Lyniffer

Last time on as the Vikings Burn....I mean last challenge which had to drop to the wayside as I acclimated to a new schedule and fun

18d8fbc3-6c4e-432a-b264-b896d9087bc7.jpg

Kara moaned as she burrowed deeper into her sleeping furs, trying to hide the light creeping through the window from her eyes, struggling to find a comfortable place to rest. It seemed her sore muscles had sore muscles after the week that had just gone by.  Even now, laying in bed and sleeping (or trying to), there was no way to get comfortable with how aching and battered her body was. Closing her eyes to try and snatch a few more hours she let her thoughts drift to the week.

While she had managed to get up every morning before the Old Goat wandered in with another bucket of water to freeze her with missing that first morning had set the tone for the week. Punishment. Clear and simple. The whole body was beaten and wracked and destroyed to build it back stronger. She knew at this rate she was going to spend the next few weeks aching and exhausted. But she felt hopeful. Better. Mayhaps even....excited about what was coming.

The training the Goat had pushed her through had been maneuvers and actions her body was not used to. She had lifted, ran, contorted, twisted and put her body through exercises she had never even heard of before. When she was done working her body he had pushed her weapons on her. The hammer normally wielded to devastate enemies everywhere had been used to make her arms to turn to jello. Twisting. Lifting. Turning. The hammer had been swung, held, cradled, twisted and even flipped at some points. Then the weapon had been turned to a pile of leather off casts, beating them as if they were Sutr himself standing before her again and again.

All of that she could handle. But the running. Allfather watch over her the running was almost too much. Full armor. Weapons and shield on her back as she ran through the woods. Through the halls of Valhalla. Through the plains where the souls of fallen warriors practiced for Ragnarok. It didn't matter where it was Kara had run through it, often being pointed at and laughed at by those who saw her training with the Goat as he was called by all. She gritted her teeth and endured, ignoring the laughter and comments about a Valkyrie trained by a Goat. She noticed none of them said a word when he was with her. They knew better than to try and ridicule him. He would trounce them and leave them begging to be done.

There had been plans to begin training her on how to train without weapons but the tutor he had promised had not been able to make it on the day planned. She had been hopeful perhaps that ridiculous idea could be overlooked but it was not to be. In the weeks ahead she would be taught by this tutor she had never met multiple days a week instead of just once. The young Valkyrie wasn't even sure how she was going to survive the running and the lifting and all the cross training the Goat made her endure. Throw in taking a beating multiple days a week was no doubt going to put her over the edge. She winced and burrowed her face into her furs at the mere thought.

Blessed sleep was disturbed only a short time later as her whole body was shaken. The Valkyrie merely cracked an eye open, not even bothering to leap out of bed. If this was an enemy she would provide little fight. But, as expected, she found the Goat standing there smirking at her. "Wake up Curly One, time to get out of bed."

"Go. Away. You promised me a day to sleep today."

"Yes, I did and I will keep my word. But the All Father summons you."

Kara shot to her feet immediately at that statement and she moved to put her armor and gear on. "You should have said so at the start, fool!"

"I thought that's what I just did."

"You did not such thing." She hissed at him, a whirlwind of movement as she donned her attire and then raced from her room still lacing up boots and strapping on weapons. She slid along, moving through the halls as fastly as she could move, soon entering the great hall and bowing before the Allfather, face and forehead planted on the floor.

"Rise, Valkyrie." Odin's voice boomed through the hall, echoing off the tall ceilings and stone walls. Kara lifted to herself to her feet, face set stoically to hide the pain she felt as she moved her body about at his bidding. Her eyes turned upwards and she regarded the King of the Gods and Asgard it's self.

There was no denying that Odin was an imposing figure to behold. Two dark shapes sat silently on his shoulder, beady eyes fixated upon her and watching her intently with a shining intelligence no normal Raven should hold. She knew Huggin and Muggin had probably been the ones to report her actions to Odin and her lips thinned as she regarded them. Without actively doing so her eyes shifted from the ravens gracing his shoulder to the ruined mass of one eye, the price for the knowledge granted by those creatures alighted upon him. Scars radiated out from the center, marring his face and disappearing down into his hair and beard. The puckered flesh was laid bare for all to see, no attempt made to hide it. Odin was proud of his bargain, for his knowledge, and for the price paid. He wanted all to see it. Only years of exposure to such let her observe it without a reaction, she had grown accustomed to the sight over the years. Beard and hair were white, the color of winter and ice. Kara often considered that they reminded her of water poured over a statue then frozen in place. Harsh and unforgiving as the craggy face they covered, Odin spoke of age and time and battle. The white on white on white of his face and beard and the stark blackness of the Ravens on his shoulder said something about the God himself.  It was a statement of many things, even if he was not aware of it. Blacks and whites. rights and wrongs. His words and those who opposed him. With a shake of her head Kara cleared her thoughts, not wanting them to be ehard or seen by any looking her way.

"Thank you, majesty."

"So, I hear you have begun training with the Goat this last week." She fidgeted at his words, wondering how he would take this.

"Yes, Allfather. I have sought out his wisdom to learn to be a better Valkyrie for you."

"And why seek him out and not myself or another of our vaunted warriors such as Thor?" He eyed her darkly with his one good eye, the scorn for her actions clear upon his face. The Valkyrie must tread carefully here, the Allfather was...well...the Allfather. Anger him and she could find herself like Loki.

"I did not wish to disturb you or your son with my simple request, Allfather. I sought not to waste your time or his with someone such as myself. I can get training from the Goat and not burden you in anyway. I only sought the basics of such learning, not to master such skills yet as you do." A little flattery never hurt, perhaps.

Odin peered intently at her and she kept her eyes downcast,r efusing to meet his gaze and let him see the falseness of her words. She had her own reasons for what she was doing and neither Odin nor Goat were going to stop her from what she was about. She stood motionless, letting him weigh her words. Time ticked by, the throne room of people shuffling and moving as they waited for a response.

"I see. How....intriguing." She nodded, as if agreeing with him about his observation. She said nothing still and let the silence continue before even the Allfather himself finally stood and strode from the throne to stand before her.

"And why pick Goat for such training, Valkyr?"

"I have long heard of his prowess on the battle field, Allfather. His skill with the hammer and shield. His ability to best many of our warriors. I felt he could provide me with much to learn if he was half as good as the stories say of him."

"And is he? Half as good?"

"Yes, my lord. He is."

"And you think he has knowledge to pass on that would aid you in your duties to me."

"Yes, Allfather."

A large hand reached out and took hold of her chin, forcing her head back and her eyes up to his face to meet his gaze. "I think you're lying Valkyrie. I think you're hiding something from me."

Kara stilled all thoughts. All observations, working to keep her face devoid of anything but her devotion to Odin and Asgard. This was no lie. She was devoted to the people, the realm, and it's survival. "My lord....I am not. I simply sought to learn more, fight better, and be able to do my duties." This much was truth. Best to wrap the truth around her actions as a shield against observation and examination. It would keep things from being discovered.

"We shall see, Valkyr. I will be watching you." At this statement both the birds on his shoulder shifted, ruffling their feathers and fixing beady eyes on her. They reminded her of Loki or the world serpent, all slick and dark and full of secrets. She refused to look at them too long, instead bowing before Odin once more.

"Of course my Lord, I live to serve."

"So you say, Valkyrie. Leave my sight."

At the dismissal Kara left the throne room, moving as quickly as she could without it being obvious she was running. Once she crossed the threshold and was back outside Goat fell into step beside her, turning his head to regard her with the same probing gaze Odin had. She scoffed some and looked sidelong at him. "What?"

"You're hiding something, Curly One."

"You hide everything Old Goat."

"This is true. But you...you're hiding something from me and Odin and others."

"Mmm. Perhaps."

His hand snaked out grabbing hers and yanking her to a stop. She winced and moved to yank her arm free but found his grip like iron upon her limb. He forced her to look at him much as Odin had done in the throne room, trying to divine intentions in her gaze. "Tell me or we will ceasae this training."

"No. My secrets are my own! I will find another to teach me then." She shook her arm again to try and leave but he held tighter, fingers digging in deep enough to mark her pale flesh.

"What game are you up to, Valkyrie?"

"None, I merely wish to survive, Goat. Nothing more." She let the partial truth of her words be seen, knowing that while he may realize she still kept secrets that much was truth. She kept her face still as his fingers dug in deeper and deeper, his anger at not knowing what she was trying to do expressed  through that grip. Finally he shook her violently and pushed her away, letting go.

"Bah. You lie and keep secrets like those damnable birds. But I will keep you close until I am sure you are no threat."

"I am not a threat, Goat. I am a Valkyrie. I serve Asgard and Valhalla. Nothing more." This was utterly true, even if he chose not to believe her.

"Hmph. I will pry your secrets from you Valkyr, even if I have to flay it from your skin in training. Be ready, tomorrow you will learn what it is to lie and defy me."

"I do not fear you, Goat. No more than I fear the, Allfather."

"We will see, Curly One, we will see." With that he stalked off, leaving Kara to return to her room to try and regain some of the sleep she had been pulled from.

Sleep was not forthcoming for Kara however and the young Valkyrie soon dressed for the day and headed out to the practice grounds with her shield and hammer upon her back and her armor upon her body. She ignored the sidelong looks sent her way, knowing that many were whispering and discussing her after the debacle in the throne room. No doubt many would be eagerly spying for the Allfather, in addition to those two blasted nosy birds. Not only that but some would be angry at her for what they perceived to be a betrayal in the making. How little they knew or realized was truly happening. However for the moment Kara ignored them all and set to work focusing on her practice. She worked the same moves that the Goat had been teaching her, pounding into leathers with her hammer. Swinging it and letting her body growing acclimated to using it. Then a run through the woods with full armor and weapons upon her back.

Escaping the whispers and stares was exactly what was needed after the abysmal start to the day. The icy grounds and snow covered trees however did not help to make her run any easier. More than once she struggled to move through small snow drifts and across icy slicked ground that was already uneven from rocks and dirt and leaves hidden beneath the snow. Still, Kara struggled forward to race through the woods and complete her training, opting to work out her anger with events instead of resting. Though resting would probably have been the better choice with the way the day was going. Her body already ached from a weeks worth of activities. Now she was pushing it further than she should. Still, they didn't call it braving the elements for nothing. Though more like stupidly crazy is what the Valkyr mumbled to herself as she moved along the woods. She continued on bravely stubbornly and soon circled back to the outer fields of Valhalla. Making her way through the stone edifice and into the small room called hers the Valkyrie collapsed, aching and soaked to the skin. She barely managed to strip herself of her attire and find her warm furs before sleep claimed her. Tomorrow she would have to start again, after failing the Goat in his eyes, and she knew it would be murder. Perhaps literally.

So last challenge blew up. I rocked out my first two hardcore, did total win and then...real life. Bam to the face. School started. New job working 6pm - 3am. Working out 7am. All of it combined to keep me offline except for intermittent pit stops here and there. I managed to maintain my workout schedule but flopped on eating Paleo with a snow storm, err two inches of snow are a storm here in the South I suppose, and not having supplies in the house. What I learned? Make a schedule and stick to it to make time for what you enjoy. I enjoy this site and you guys so I've scheduled NF into my week every week. (This morning before Crossfit) Two, always have emergency rations in case a light storm...I mean snowmageddon....hits. And finally we don't always ace everything we do. The true test is if we pull ourselves up, move forward having learned and continue to go forward. Ranger up!

9039bf72-cc06-4801-b316-6d2635312a18.jpg

Fortunately I had planned my last challenge to continue into this one. I wanted my challenges to span two months, with small adjustments, to build lasting changes and affects. So my goals are much the same.

Goal 1:Strength- Being born with the strength of the Gods is all well and good but when the Gods and other beings of the 9 realms are your enemy and are stronger than you that must change. You need to build that strength up to stand toe to toe with Giants. For this challenge I will do 3 strength exercises a week, a combo of Maces and Crossfit.

Goal 2: Endurance- Being strong and facing down Frost Giants or a handsy drunken Thor is only one aspect. Valkyries live on battlefields and collecting souls sometimes means taking part. Being strong doesn't help if battles are long and drawn out (or if you're running around tables to elude Thor until Sif can knock him cold and drag him off.) To be the best Valkyrie you need the endurance to withstand enemies in battle. I will do four endurance/cardio based workouts a week, any mix of Rucking or C25K sessions.

Goal 3: Defense- Knowing how to swing a hammer and block a shield is one step in being able to fight. Learning more than one way of fighting and moving is useful along with improving agility and flexibility. One can never say when they may be stripped of their weapons in battle. To this end I will do one Krav Maga session minimum a week. Preparing for battle of any kind is the task of a true Valkyr!

Goal 4: Buck Furpees! - Preparation is a key to battle. Going into a fight means taking care of yourself, your armor, your supplies. It means knowing what you may face and being ready for whatever is thrown at you. Being prepared for me means facing the dreaded Burpee head on. I will be doing the Spartan in June and Burpees will inevitably be a part of that. I must prepare, even as I curse them. Every week I will do Burpees before bed and when I wake up. Each additional week I will add on 5 Burpees until I can easily do those I need to in preparation to become a Spartan Valkyrie! I am on 25 burpees....kill me now.

Goal 5: Nutrition- Swilling wine and mead and beer is all good for any Cup Bearing Valkyrie. But feasting and drinking until one is swimming in it is not. The body must be ready for battle along with the mind and reflexes. Stuffing my face is not part of that. The holidays are over. Time to Ranger Up! I will eat 2 primal meals a day every day of the week, allowing myself one day to eat Primal only once. The day is my choosing but it does not mean I will gorge. Only that I can relax and let myself embrace my inner Valkyrie with a little good food and good drink.

Life Goal: Live- Winning a battle is all well and good but one must learn life is not always about the next battle, the next fight. One must enjoy and live. Fear must not hold back your life. So every challenge I will pick one new thing to do, one thing I am uncertain of or afraid of. I will do it and will conquer it. I don't know what it will be each time. It may be something small and simple. It may be life changing. But it will be done and I will post in my wrap up what I did each challenge. Last month it was starting Krav, even being nervous about going and my fitness level. I enjoyed it all and still doing it. This month.....we shall see.

The next morning Kara was pulled from bed by the Goat, his hand yanking her by the hair and throwing her to the floor. It was hours before she was normally up. But it seemed he was eager to punish her for her "lies" as he perceived them. "Up traitor, time to earn your beating and punishment from me. Let us see how much you are willing to betray Asgard this morning." He threw her aside as he snarled and stomped out, making Kara wonder why he even bothered. If he was truly this angry why even continue teaching her anything. Why give her more skills to betray Asgard and it's people if he thought that is what she was up to. With a sigh and groan she stood and began to dress, adding the mystery of his actions to the growing pile of worries and questions plaguing her on the path she had begun.

dark%20valkyrie.jpg

• Like 2

Level 2 Elf Ranger

6 Dex, 11 Con, 2 Wis, 2 Cha, 4 Str

My Current Challenge

Past Challenges: 1/2/3

My Battle Log

Reserving my spot for more Valkyrie action!

• Like 1

[Level ?] Veteran Dwarf Slayer (Path of the Zealot Barbarian/Champion Fighter)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Vanquisher's Leathers, Gridle & War Shroud, Howling War Axe (rare), Adventurer's pack & Dwarven alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Glad I reserved my spot the other day because that narrative was EPIC.  Your challenge will definitely be my Norse Mythology fix for February.  ;)

Equipment: Vanquisher's Leathers, Gridle & War Shroud, Howling War Axe (rare), Adventurer's pack & Dwarven alchemy kit.

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

So I learned today just how bad my hands can get between doing Crossfit and Krav Maga. I need to get some wraps or something I think.

20160204_101418.jpg

Throw in doing mace workouts three times a week and my hands are kind of a mess. Though I think doing the Hollow Body Holds on the pull up bar made it worse. Hanging for as many seconds as possible hurts the hands, not going to lie.

• Like 2

Level 2 Elf Ranger

My Current Challenge

My Battle Log

So I learned today just how bad my hands can get between doing Crossfit and Krav Maga. I need to get some wraps or something I think.

Throw in doing mace workouts three times a week and my hands are kind of a mess. Though I think doing the Hollow Body Holds on the pull up bar made it worse. Hanging for as many seconds as possible hurts the hands, not going to lie.

Hey, look!  We're twinses!  haha

Since we keep to the same activities, I suppose it's only natural that we ought to share similar results... even if they aren't the sort we seek!  ;)

Kara collapsed to the frozen ground, the snow and ice softening her landing and leeching the warmth from her body. It took only seconds before it began to numb her through, a fact that made the young Valkyrie grateful. The aches and pains slowly began to subside and she sunk a little further into the snow to try and numb the whole of her. Eyes flickered to the snow nearby and Kara realized that the blow to the head had been much harder than it seemed as the pristine whiteness of it had begun to stain into a deep red as blood seeped into the fluffy piles. Perhaps she should be more concerned but the numbing sensation was spreading further into her body and stealing away the pain from the whole of her body so she ignored any passing concern and let her eyes close.

Eyes shot open as Kara jerked awake, huddling deeper into soaking furs rimed with ice. Her body shifted towards the nearby source of warmth and it took a few moments to realize that a fire was crackling and drying those furs. Glancing around noted her mentor sitting on the other side of the fire looking into the flames and ignoring the woman and Kara sighed shaking her head. “Still ignoring me Old Goat?â€

His gaze shifted to hers and she was faced with angry eyes that flickered over her and then back to her head and the wound marring it. “I should have left you to the snow and cold. It’s all a traitor deserves.â€

Kara scoffed, reaching her hands out to warm them at the fire. “So certain I’m a traitor.â€

“Odin is.â€

“And he’s never wrong? Ever.â€

“His birds are not.â€

“You stupid Goat. His birds see things and report it, the Allfather puts his on turn on it. I am not traitor. I have done nothing, NOTHING, to betray my people and my world!†She nearly spit at him, then abruptly stood and moved away from him and the fire. “If you truly think me a traitor then kill me and be done with it! You know I cannot stop you. I do not have your skills. Why continue training me if you believe me a traitor?†She turned back to him, suddenly curious and suspicious of Goat.

“Because I have been commanded to. You have a task, Valkyr. You must do as you were created to.â€

“Taking souls from the battlefield does not mean I need you to train me. I came to you to learn more than that. Which you’re teaching me. Why?â€

“Because I have been commanded to, deaf woman.â€

“And you always listen to Odin.†She threw the last into his face, knowing as well as he the answer to that. Silence reigned in the small rock overhang that sheltered the fire and their bodies from the snow. Kara stayed at the edges but could not resist the lure of warmth, even as her body soaked it in. The numbness had dulled the pain of the beating disguised as training she had received but she welcomed the warmth all the same. Aches and pains could be dealt with once back to the keep and her room. Along with a heated bath and warm furs. And a soft bed to cradle the aching body with its bruises and cuts.

“It’s not a question of listening to the Allfather, Valkyr. Listening or not doesn’t make him not right. His birds saw something suspicious in you. So I do not trust you.â€

Kara sighed and crouched by the flames, peering through them to peer at Goat as she waited for him to finally meet her gaze. She stayed still and focused on him until the weight of her gaze gave him no choice but to lift his eyes and meet hers head on. “Those blasted birds saw me sneaking to Yggdrasil to seek out the Norns.â€

She knew it was risky telling him, admitting that she had sought the three sisters out. So many things could happen with the Norns. So many secrets they held, Fate it’s self in their hands. They had more knowledge than even Odin himself, and that made him nervous when it came to the three. Telling Old Goat could condemn her, if he was spying for Odin, but she took a chance. She had no choice. Eventually this training would go too far and he would kill her. The training could stop, of course. But the skill he held, the knowledge he could impart to her was too important. She needed Goat to train her. It was instrumental to her plans, to the changes she was after.

“The Norns? And why were you visiting those three?â€

“That is my business, Goat. But I swear to you, swear any oath you wish, that I am not out to betray Asgard or its people. I want to protect us, all of us. To save us. Not destroy us.†It edged close to things, perhaps too close. Goat was intelligent and had known her for a while. He may guess her plans, which would be worse than him thinking her a traitor. But she couldn’t risk him killing her or refusing to teach her. She watched him watching her, refusing to look away, insisting on letting him see the truth in her gaze.

“That’s now answer, Wild one!â€

“I can’t give you an answer, Old Goat! I needed answer to questions. They have answers. All of them!â€

And it was true. The three Norns that resided at the base of Yggdrasil it’s self were keepers of Fate and thus knew the fate of all the beings of the Nine Realms. They carved the fate of mankind and gods, Jotuns and the dead, of all the creatures of the realms into the roots of Yggdrasil. Fate twined through the world tree at their hands as they tended to the tree as well. The three women predated even Odin, were Jotuns who served no one but Destiny. Kara and her sisters were related to them on some level, almost demi-goddess Norns some thought. But Kara knew better. Those three were beings beyond what even the most ancient and capable of her sisters could even begin to comprehend. To Kara, who was relatively young as Valkyrie’s go, they had the key to everything she was trying to do. To change. And none could know what she meant to do except those three. At least not yet. Not until the time was right.

“You swear? On your soul? May it rest with Hel forever if you lie to me?â€

“I swear you Old Goat, I am no traitor to Asgard or its people.†A very carefully worded oath but an oath all the same. He stared at her still, eyes searching to find some answer he sought. Finally he stood with a nod.

“Fine, I will believe you for the moment. But I do not trust you completely and I will be watching you, Valkyrie. Closely.â€

Kara nodded with a sigh. It would have to do for the moment. “Fine. Let’s go back, Goat. I need a bath and rest.â€

The two began to put the flames out and gather their things to return to Valhalla and the keep. Kara knew that he would continue to push and make things difficult, especially training, for her. But she was still learning and that’s what mattered. What were a few bruises and bangs and cuts and blood….this was going to be painful. Months and months of pain.

So here's my recap for the week. It's been a good week for me as far as sticking to my challenge, getting some time on NF and still maintaining a life, of sorts. I skipped Crossfit as I now work until 3am on Sundays going to Crossfit at 630am was not an option for me. I needed to let my body adjust to the weekend sleep schedule I had to have. So I skipped Monday but I attended Tuesday through Friday. Tuesday was Snatch Push Presses for 10 minutes EMOM. (every minute on the minute) I increased the weight twice during those, moving from the training bar with fives up to the training bar with 10's on each end. A total of 45 pounds. Not tons but I'm just starting so went from 5's to 10's so thats a plus. After that we did METCON, basically the best time we can get, of the following exercises. 400 m run. 25 HSPU (hand stand push ups of which I did on the box not on the wall), 800 m run, 25 Power Snatches, 400m run and then another 25 HSPU. Tuesday was Hang Cleans x2 (with a squat) and Split Jerk x 1. We built up to the highest weight we could on this and for me I managed 65 pounds. Not tons but again, getting there. After that was METCON of a 12 min AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) 3 deadlift, 10 Burpee Box Jump Overs, 6 deadlift, 10 Burpee Box Jumpovers, 9 dealift, 10 Burpee Box Jump Overs...and so on up to the end of 12 minutes with a recording of how many rounds we got in that time period with an eye to improving that METCON.Thursday killed me a little. Not going to lie. I had to do a METCON of Ring pulls of 3.3.3 with a hold of 3 seconds on each portion times 3. Which means I did 3 ring pulls holding both down and up 3 seconds each three times with a 15 second break in between each set of three. I did the grouping of three three times so I basically did 3 sets of 9 ring pulls. With a 3 second hold. My hands were killing me. Which led right into hanging on the pull up bar for as many seconds as possible. Just a dead hang. And I thought my hands killed me after the ring pulls. This followed with Kettlebell side bends 3 sets on each side, alternating each time. Then we finished with a super set of laying on the ground in a hollow body hold (you should look that up, it sucks worse than planks) for 45 seconds. Hanging from the pull up bar with out knees bent for as long as possible and then 20 seated medicine ball Russian Twists. 20 reps of those. Being a super set meant we did these three things in a row three times. Thats the day I posted the pic of my hands all red and splitting from all the strain on my hands. The right hand is still split some and not fun. But thems the breaks. Then comes Friday. Ah Friday. First was a 10 minute AMRAP of 30 double unders (I hate the jump rope), 20 wall balls with a 10 pound medicine ball, 10 Kettle Bell Swings and 10 Kettle Bell Shoulder to Overhead. Okay, I can do that for 10 minutes. It sucks but not as bad as Thursday. Right? Right.....right? Well sure, until the end of ten minutes and we sat down to row....as fast as possible...50 calories. 40 calories. 30 calories. 20 calories. 10 calories. My hands sure loved that rowing machine pull bar. Sigh.

Anyways, that was 4 sessions of Crossfit. I also managed to get 3 rucks in with a ten pound weight in my bag and 10km each ruck. I have combined my C25K with my rucks. What I do is leave my bag in the car and warm up with a short half mile trail run. I do that lopp a few times with the C25K app playing in my headphones. Once I've spent twenty minutes warming up with the C25K I grab my pack and head on to the trails to do my 6.2 miles or 10k. I did three of these so got three rucks and three C25K runs in. I also managed two sessions with the mace doing 2 minutes of beating the tire to death then a run trhough of all the moves from the basic moves of a shovelglove website. (This one if anyone is interested. http://shovelglove.com/movements/) I do each for 2 sets of 10 reps each. Im still building up on these. I use an eight pound mace.

Krav Maga is still a thing for me. Twice a week I make my way down to my local Krav Studio and proceed to spend the next hour to hour and a half working on not getting beat the crap out of. It's slow going since Im so new to this. Im taking a Level 1 class but Im the only newbie Level 1, the newest has been doing this for almost six months. So they all know what they're doing and I don't. I tend to get smack around a little. My first week I had finger marks on my throat from where I had to practice breaking a choke hold with one of the elbows. (I think elbow 9 but I may be wrong.) This week I almost split my lip from practicing hammer fists. But I do love it. It's simple. Effective. Brutal. Just like me!

Eating is on track. Nothing but water to drink as per my normal. Then all Primal meals during the week, though tomorrow with the Super Bowl and a huge, HUGE, potluck at work for those of us trapped there may test that a bit. (Here I should mention I live in North Carolina. Home of the Carolina Panthers. So tomorrow is a huge huge huge deal around here so the food will be most prodigious and not at all healthy). I will bring my lunch and dinner and hope for the best with my willpower. We shall see how it goes.

Overall I'm on track I think with my schedule. School is moving along steady, working on my papers and research and projects. Work outs are going good, as this weekly wrap up shows Im sure. And food is on track. As for my life goal. Well....working on that. I may update....with a picture....at the end of the month depending on how it goes! Hope everyone else had a kick ass first week for this 2nd challenge of the year!

• Like 1

Level 2 Elf Ranger

My Current Challenge

My Battle Log

Crossfit this morning. Squats. I love squats. Except for when they're all at tempo. So five seconds to go into the squat. Hold for five at the bottom of the squat then up. Repeat five times all at tempo. Then 4. 3. 2. 1. And that was just the first part. I'm pretty sure I'll be too sore to sit tomorrow.

• Like 2

Level 2 Elf Ranger

My Current Challenge

My Battle Log

Crossfit this morning. Squats. I love squats. Except for when they're all at tempo. So five seconds to go into the squat. Hold for five at the bottom of the squat then up. Repeat five times all at tempo. Then 4. 3. 2. 1. And that was just the first part. I'm pretty sure I'll be too sore to sit tomorrow.

I'm scared of those squats! You go girl.

Walk to Rivendell 

29%
29%

458 miles. 

Walk to freaking Mordor

6%
6%

1779 miles in one year.

Weight

50%
50%

Start 181, Current  175, Goal is 165

2016 Road Map â€¢ Current Challenge â€¢ Epic Quest character

"Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

I'm pretty sure my coach is trying to kill me with these whole 5-4-3-2-1 or 50-40-30-20-10 things. He's drilling us. Today was another 5-4-3-2-1 situation for conditioning and coordination. 5 minutes of Box Jump Over Burpees. Non. Stop. Then 4 minutes of 10 meter shuttle run. 3 minutes of Power Cleans at max rep. 2 minutes of double unders. 1 minute of push-ups. Yes...yes he's trying to kill us all. >.< I'm pretty sure my knees are going to jump into my throat and choke me. My ass is sore, which I suppose is good because now I can't sit on it. And let's not even get into my arms. Ugh. Still, yay for fun workouts.  And getting my ass in better health. Food for the day was homemade sausage, made with ground pork from my local butcher some sage and smoked paprika and salt and other spice/herb goodies. Topped off with some avocado, fresh tomatoes, mozzarella. Then a smoothie of almond milk, chia seeds, blueberries, strawberries, banana, protein goodness. A big old salad filled with romaine, spinach, radishes, carrots, tomatoes, avocados, sprouts, feta, olives, chicken, some homemade Greek dressing. I have some delicious roasted pork, parsnips, asparagus and sweet potato chips for dinner.  So Primal eating is on lock for the day. I need to get some mace work in with my hammer to get these arms stronger and then I can relax for the day. With school work but hey, Ill be relaxing and reading so that works for me.

• Like 1

Level 2 Elf Ranger

My Current Challenge

My Battle Log

Ack!  I missed out on a new story entry, and it was a doozy!

Keep up the excellent writing pursuits and hammering out those goals!  Awesome work this challenge, Lyn!

Okay, took two challenges but I've realized with my current pace and schedule I just can't keep up with writing like this for my challenges! Sorry guys but going to have to just try again maybe over summer or later once schools done! In the meantime Ill do updates on my challenge over the weeks but no more stories and such. Sucks but I have to be realistic with what I can do with working and class fulltime, working out five days a week and all that. Ill still be here, still be a ranger, still be doing challenges with updates. Just can't do the awesome stories that I want, for now! But you live and learn, thats what these challenges are for!!

• Like 2

Level 2 Elf Ranger

My Current Challenge

My Battle Log

Okay, took two challenges but I've realized with my current pace and schedule I just can't keep up with writing like this for my challenges! Sorry guys but going to have to just try again maybe over summer or later once schools done! In the meantime Ill do updates on my challenge over the weeks but no more stories and such. Sucks but I have to be realistic with what I can do with working and class fulltime, working out five days a week and all that. Ill still be here, still be a ranger, still be doing challenges with updates. Just can't do the awesome stories that I want, for now! But you live and learn, thats what these challenges are for!!

Rangerbrain, we all got it, i'd say workingout tops writing ;)

Hit the last week!

• Like 2

... a little odd in the head ...