Talos rides out to glory

Talos

This is my first challenge, so the Rebel camp seems like a good place to start!

forth.jpg

The Challenge

This month, I'm building habits so solid even an Uruk-hai couldn't bust 'em. I've realized I've had a lot of good interests, athletic experiments, and even a couple fun hobbies (or wanna-be future hobbies), but if I don't get better at regularly investing time in the ones that are important to me, I won't get very far. So, as befits a first challenge, this is going to be a "back to basics" kind of month. 

To that end, these are the habits I really need as a foundation for EVERYTHING I want to accomplish in the future: basic protein/nutrition, regular workout times, and time for prayer/meditation/reflection. 

The only exception is my running goal. Two weeks after this challenge ends, I'm running the DC Rock 'n' Roll half marathon. I've never run a half marathon before, so this is kind of a crazy thing... Regardless, I need to top out at about 13 miles max with my runs at the end of the challenge period if I want to survive. Gazelle mode, activate!

The Goals

Diet/Fitness:

- Get my rear to the gym/trail each afternoon for my preset workouts (either Stronglifts weight training or my running plan). Both are written out... I just have to do them!

- Increase protein intake on a daily basis (I'm still not sure how much I need, total. Expert advice welcomed!)

- By the end of the challenge, run 13 miles in one session. (!!!)

Life:

- Prayer/meditation at least 20 minutes a day. I really need this one.

This month is all about getting better at being dependable, so if you guys can keep me honest and reliable with my workouts, that would be amazing.  :joyous:

I'll link up XP counts for each goal sometime soon, once I figure that out.

For death and glory! For Rohan!

Gimli.gif

• Like 3

Level 6 Demon Hunter, Novice Troubadour

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

"I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."

Ahhhh half marathon. Yikes! By which I mean you're a badass and I cower in your presence. ;) There's a thread for DC area Rebels, and a Facebook group as well. Have you checked in yet? 

As far as protein, it depends on height/weight/activity/goals/etc. You can use a calculator like IIFYM.com (though beware, because it totally told me I need 164g a day just to lose weight?) or try asking here for advice. That's about as helpful as I can be on that front. 

Once more people start posting you should drop in on them. It's the best way to find your accountability people. :)

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

And my vuvuzela!

gandalf-broke-my-vuvuzela-o.gif

(Following along to cheer you on. Great theme. :D )

RMDC | Chaser Druid 2
STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2
NF Character Profile: RMDC
Challenge: Current - PKMN Journey, Part 1

Previous: 1

Write 6 pages per week

24%
24%
Water only
40%
40%
Wheat products restricted to 3/wk (this week's slots: {*} - {*} - { } )
27%
27%
Daily meditation
36%
36%
Interval walking, four total hours

36%
36%

Ahhhh half marathon. Yikes! By which I mean you're a badass and I cower in your presence. ;) There's a thread for DC area Rebels, and a Facebook group as well. Have you checked in yet? 

As far as protein, it depends on height/weight/activity/goals/etc. You can use a calculator like IIFYM.com (though beware, because it totally told me I need 164g a day just to lose weight?) or try asking here for advice. That's about as helpful as I can be on that front. 

Once more people start posting you should drop in on them. It's the best way to find your accountability people. :)

Haha, thank you. *bows* No delusions of grandeur here - I'm just glad my legs haven't fallen off yet.

Re: the DC area thread, I had no idea! I'll check that out for sure.

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

"I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."

WEEK 1 - I'M ALIVE.

AND I STILL HAVE MY LEGS.

Seriously, that's probably the part I'm happiest about. This is probably the most regular and consistent workout plan I've ever had ever, and for the first few days I felt like someone was beating me with a stick. Recovering from long run days is particularly gnarly; I never feel like doing anything other than sleep, stretch, and eat for the next 24 hours.

But my legs didn't fall off, so we're good.

- - - - - -

More to the point on my goals, here's how things are going on each:

Workouts: I've been really consistent for the first few days, and I'm really happy about this. I think a lot of the success here is coming from having a very specific time slot in for every day's workout, and being really deliberate about keeping it free for at least the planned workouts. I've had a perfect record with the running days so far, which is especially important so I don't destroy myself on race day. Sticking to the weights has been slightly more challenging, but I've only missed one day of those - which, given the soreness I had at the time (especially in my legs), turned out to be a really helpful rest day. So maybe that wasn't even a bad thing?

Protein: Well, I increased it. I have no practical idea how much I should eat, but I'm a dramatically skinny guy with an already crazy metabolism, so I just boosted the amount I was already eating by about 25-50% as a test. So far, so good. Most meals I get are in a dining hall setting, which means I can increase or decrease that as much as needed over time. Right now, just enjoying the nervous looks I get when I demolish my 4-egg omelet and a pile of bacon. 

Mileage: This is probably the scariest goal. I had another Sam Gamgee moment today - pushing my distance to 11 miles for the first time was a rush. I also got to see the White House, so that was nifty. I'm definitely feeling it now, but when I got to the end I had the sense that if I'd needed to, I could have slogged the last two miles of a half marathon today (even if it would be ugly). So there's light at the end of this tunnel.

tumblr_mq7qifs4vv1san7deo1_500.gif

Prayer/Meditation Time: Strangely, this is both the easiest goal and the one I haven't made enough time for yet. Perhaps because the other goals are scary?  :nightmare:

Right now I'm making maybe every other day. I hope to increase this one over the week.

So yeah, so far I'm hanging in there! Sound the vuvuzelas, my friends. We shall ride out together.

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Accountability, activate!

always-watching-o.gif

Hey, Talos. Good job on the first week! That is a hell of a run: you should start posting times, or keeping a good track. I can reallyreallyreallyreally recommend you look into Zombies, Run, too. It turns your run into a story where you play as a running courier/scout during the zombie apocalypse, and it plays a story - as radio, walkie talky messages - over your headphones as you run. Comes with built in pace and time tracker, too. Got me off my ass (while I still had time to run). Very well written, voiced and acted.

Great job with the protein, too! If you're chasing advice, hit up the Warriors. They're the guys and gals to ask about protein and bulking up!

I'll be expecting progress this week! :tongue:

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

Protein is all well and good, but I think I found the upper limit last night on how many chicken wings I should physically consume in one sitting.

If my stomach were my girlfriend, I would describe this as an emotional breakup. Thanks, Superbowl.

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Stalked your challenge, you know, for peer pressure and all that goodness.

Re Protein: the general rule is 0.8 g - 1.2 g per lb of bodyweight depending on goals / activity, etc... That's not a hard and fast rule, but more of a guideline. With longer running distances, there is a science behind carb intake, protein intake, performance, and maintaining muscle mass. 

Awesome on the run this past week! 11 miles with three ish weeks to go is great!

"Sam Gamgee moment" - I like that. :) Congratulations on cranking it up to 11.

RMDC | Chaser Druid 2
STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2
NF Character Profile: RMDC
Challenge: Current - PKMN Journey, Part 1

Previous: 1

Write 6 pages per week

24%
24%
Water only
40%
40%
Wheat products restricted to 3/wk (this week's slots: {*} - {*} - { } )
27%
27%
Daily meditation
36%
36%
Interval walking, four total hours

36%
36%

Greetings! I, too, am a newbie here and a runner first and foremost...I haven't had a consistent running habit in years and my work schedule is kinda crazy so my current running goal involves squeezing in a few fast, short runs when I can.  Therefore I plan on following your thread to long-run vicariously through you. :-)  Like Lupus, I'd be interested to see more details about your specific workouts.  Good luck!

My February Challenge! (oh look I coded a thing)

Details you want, then details you shall have!

My running progression is based on the program in Jeff Galloway's book "Marathon!" Right now, because I've literally never run this far before, it's all about long, easy runs with occasional short walk breaks to build up mileage without injury. He has plenty of guidelines in there for how to hit specific time goals once you're up to it, but right now I'm more worried about survival - every step further is already a PR! ;)

So, I do a long run on Sundays, with two short runs Tuesday/Thursday. The long runs are the ones upping the mileage, the short days are about two and half miles with a couple sprints and nasty hills thrown in for "fun". Sometimes I even bring friends on the short days so I don't have to suffer alone...

For posterity: Yesterday's run was 11 miles at the glorious pace of 2:17, give or take several minutes for waiting on a lot of crosswalks.

The road goes ever on and on...

bilbo-running.jpg

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Greetings! I, too, am a newbie here and a runner first and foremost...I haven't had a consistent running habit in years and my work schedule is kinda crazy so my current running goal involves squeezing in a few fast, short runs when I can.  Therefore I plan on following your thread to long-run vicariously through you. :-)  Like Lupus, I'd be interested to see more details about your specific workouts.  Good luck!

Kellyfish: Go for it! I just started by doing the short runs two or three times a week to get my muscles used to it. If you're consistent with the workouts it's surprisingly easy to build up to more! :D

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Best of luck to you, I'll be following. Though given you're already up to 11 miles I'm sure you're going to smash it!

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 0  -  CON: 0  -  CHA: 0  -  SAN: 0  -  INT: 0

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Muscle Wizard: Origins

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

Wishing you all the best!

I'm guessing you're a fan of Elder Scrolls from your name?

Well, I *am* a huge fan, but that's not where the name came from! I originally got it from Talos, the bronze automaton that guarded the island of Crete in Greek mythology. 

(I was a Classical Studies major, naturally)

talos.jpg?itok=pQ35sHRp

Re: the Elder Scrolls, though, Morrowind is my favorite game. Of all time.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Today went from being a crap day from feeling horrible post-Superbowl, then suddenly turned around mid-afternoon. Don't know where the second wind came from, but suddenly I was cleaning my room, finishing books (including "Level Up Your Life"!), and having a dance party. So yeah. Made my weight training workout, too - struggling with my overhead press but deadlifts and squats continuing to improve, so that's cool.

I also found out my passport is ready to go for this summer - I'm going to Guatemala for a month! That'll be an adventure unto itself. :)

Now I'm just waiting to see if snow delays classes tomorrow... *fingers crossed*

Last but not least, thanks for all the encouragement, y'all. Having a community behind me like this is really cool.

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Its our pleasure! It's what we're here for. We all look after each other, we're all on the same quest here :D

Guatemala will be AWESOME. AWE.SOME.

And good time for the run, that's really good for a (I presume) 'newbie' - any specific time goal to hit? Or just want to get consistently better?

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

Its our pleasure! It's what we're here for. We all look after each other, we're all on the same quest here :D

Guatemala will be AWESOME. AWE.SOME.

And good time for the run, that's really good for a (I presume) 'newbie' - any specific time goal to hit? Or just want to get consistently better?

Well, that's encouraging! Yep, definite newbie here - I just keep doing my Energizer Bunny impression and increasing my distances.

No real time goals, but I have some crazy long-term distance goals. As in, keep going farther until my legs fall off or I hit my Level 50 running goal . . . which, if I don't die en route, would be to run the Kepler Challenge Ultra someday.

It's just running what I did on Sunday three times in the mountains, right? ;)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Yeah, easy. Just bring spare legs.

You... You don't have spare legs? Weird.

That bunny is both cute, and scary. Good motivation!

Checked Zombies Run yet?

- Marcus Aurelius

Checked Zombies Run yet?

You know, I don't actually have a smartphone. But that's an app at the top of my list for when I finally upgrade and join y'all in the 21st century...

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Today was pretty solid. Tuesdays are a nasty mix of classes, other obligations, and prep work for subsequent days' classes and work. So it was a long day - didn't really get to wind down until about 8:00.

However: I nailed my workout time again, and went for a short (2 mile) run in my Vibram FiveFingers to give my ankles something to do. Unexpected bonus points: I convinced one of my friends to join me! He's been wanting to get back into exercising, so that felt like my good accountability deed for the day. :D

Legs are pretty seriously sore now, so I may take tomorrow as a leg rest day and just do some upper body exercise and leave it at that.

Also, still eating protein like a tank. My friends seem scared, yet intrigued.

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Never mind. Legs actually bounced back fast and felt great, so more squats happened on time with my schedule. I'm really starting to think a lot of my past training obstacles were more psychological than anything.

Finally found an accountability system to get the meditation/prayer time in on a regular basis, so I'm feeling a bit more contemplative than before. 'Tis nice. 

So yeah, it was a pretty good day. Class and the usual, but for once I'm definitely hitting these goals despite everything. 

*happy sigh*

large.gif

• Like 4

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Going well, Talos! I feel the classes problem, uni is killing me too. Takes most of my energy to get that done, leaving little/no room for working out. Good job, though!

- Marcus Aurelius