Captain Badass: The Return of the Thin(ner) White Duke*

Captain Badass

So I'm out of the chrysalis and getting ready to fly!

GOAL

• Lose 5lbs, since that's approximately 4% of my current weight. That should take me down to 122lbs by the end of the challenge. Keep myself sane while being mostly unemployed.

QUESTS

• Eat 1200-1400 calories per day. I'm sad to report that I will not be following the mid-70s Bowie diet of milk, cocaine and peppers. Mainly because I'm intolerant to peppers.
tumblr_lxmcy83Gnc1qad2ozo1_500.gif
  • Substitute juice/soda with water. And drink more water generally.
uVErAFQYxPx04.gif
  • Complete Darebee's 30-Day HIIT Challenge Complete Men's Health 3 Week Home Dumbbell Workout, and don't eat estimated calories back!!!
MkZDYU7JwB344.gif
  • Read something that isn't on a screen for at least 30 minutes a day, because my life's turning into this:
960.jpg
  • Finish Berklee's songwriting MOOC. Alright! No need to take the piss!
tqRPgNNotqpsk.gif
  • Engage with art once a week - movie/literature if poor; art gallery or theatre if already in town or if I suddenly have enough money to travel into town especially
Picture-21.pnghammersmith-knitte_2178435k.jpg

STATS

Weight: 127lbs

Waist: 28"

Hips: 36.6"

Abdomen: 31"

Bust: 34"

Overbust: 32"

Underbust: 28.5"

Thigh: 20.5"

Calf: 13.5"

Neck: 13.5"

* I am neither thin, white, nor a member of the British aristocracy, but I am missing David Bowie something rotten.

• Like 3

Great goals!! I'm gonna follow you!! 

i-ll-follow-you-into-the-dark-o.gif

• Like 1

Scout - Level 15 Half-Elf Ranger

STR15 | DEX5.5 | STA17 | CON39.5 | WIS18 | CHA10.5 

Challenges: Current Challenge #18 | #17 Part 2 | #17#16#15#14#13#12 Part 2 | #12#11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 Part II | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

My Blog | Facebook | My BeachBody | My NF Character

Spoiler

Lose 84 lbs (From 219 to 135): Current weight = 202.9

100%
19%

Walk to Mordor (Hobbiton to Mount Doom - 1779 miles) [so far: 1515.60 miles  - logged to 06/13/16

[progress=purple]85[/progress]

Day 1 of the challenge and I've started my period. BOOOOOOO! However, I have a metric ton of prescription-strength co-codamol left from last month's wisdom teeth removal. Happy days.

Hopefully the 'before' pictures above were pre-period bloat because I've lost 1lb in weight overnight... Thanks to my period tracker (yes, this is NERD Fitness people) my next one's due to begin on Feb 27th so I will take some pics mid-way through the challenge as well as on 26th.

Today's HIIT is just basic burpees (no jumping), and tomorrow's very plank orientated, so should all be very doable.

I borrowed a copy of The Upanishads from the library, mainly because I found out how much of an influence they were on Mark Frost when he was writing Twin Peaks with David Lynch, and it's a very different way of seeing the world and possibly more in keeping with my own take on things. Although not religious myself I was brought up Catholic and know a fair bit about the Abrahamic religions and their teachings, and not much about non-monotheistic beliefs. Anyway, that should keep me busy.

I'm seeing my Mum in Brixton for lunch tomorrow. Not only is it Bowie's birthplace (I'll try and remember to get a picture of the mural as it is now), but it's also home to the Black Cultural Archives. Looks like there's a few portraits in the current exhibition, so it should count towards my art points.

EDIT: HIIT just saved the day. Was really dreading it but then the endorphins came and I'm now bouncing around the flat. Also: co-codamol. Also did day #6 of the splits challenge - today's new move was front splits with a block. Got to about 4" off the floor - about the same place when I last did the splits approximately 20 years ago. Will be interested to see where I get to on day #30. 

This is quickly becoming a Battle Log. Is that OK? Or should I start a separate thread?

• Like 2

Yup, Sloth and Tank know what they're talking about. It's weird huh...sometimes exercise helps and sometimes curling up in a ball and eating chocolate is the best thing to do. Glad that exercise worked ok this time :-)

The splits link was pretty cool. I'm working on my hamstrings, so lots of these exercises are useful for me. I think this might be a good direction for me to go next month...builds pretty easily on things I'm already doing. Thanks for posting it!!

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

So I went to Brixton, South London yesterday, where the Bowie tribute/shrine is still going strong.

3qRoLcDl.jpg

Look at all the fresh flowers!

Then crossed the road to the Black Cultural Archive:

fNLPt32l.jpg

VJF7p9pl.jpg

stVLyatl.jpg

All very edifying. You don't need to see pics of my lunch and dinner (all tasty Jamaican stuff from Brixton Village). So, big dose of art/culture yesterday - I can tick that box for the week. The hardest task to do so far has been reading away from the laptop/phone screens. Sad but true.

• Like 1

This is Captain Badass to Ground Control....

So amongst all the fluctuation this week, I now weigh 125.8lbs. It concerns me that at this rate I won't reach goal weight by the end of the challenge, but seeing as 1200 cals per day is pretty soul-crushing and that I'm not prepared to cut any more, I'm not too disappointed. As for keeping myself sane, I don't know how well I've done there. Really feeling the winter blues right now, most likely exacerbated by having absolutely no money. I can't even afford the train fare to go meet industry types in a networking capacity, so I'm in a real catch-22 situation and I feel it acutely at this time of year. 

However, I'm doing pretty well on my quests! I've been doing my splits training every day after HIIT. Speaking of which, I'm finding Darebee's HIIT a bit too gentle so I've moved up to Level II (planks on Level III today). On the songwriting course I learned all about rhyme - lots of great tips I can put into practice. It's been pretty easy to drink more water because of the calorie restriction, but with HIIT feeling easy I'm desperate to pick up some weights...

Reading analogue-style is proving rather difficult. I really hate those free newspapers that are fully of 'celebrity' gossip and poorly-informed shock value stories. Most of my news comes from online, and I have no motivation to get into fiction at the moment. Meditation for Dummies has been my go-to last thing at night because of its interesting subject matter and soundbitey format.

I think that's it for now!

Update: Did the A workout today. This is a lot more fun: 48 mins of slightly elevated heart rate vs 5 mins of feeling like I was jogging for the bus. Did it with 5lb dumbbells for some reason, but seeing as my kettlebell that feels too light is 16lbs, I'll go up to 10lbs for the next workout. Nice to feel the lats and traps firing off too.

Still seems doable on 1200-1400 cals. However, I'll increase that slightly if it gets too punishing. Will obviously keep weighing myself and add Zombies running workouts if I need more of a high cardio kick.

Forgot to report back on the splits challenge. I was pushing too much and getting sore, so now just breathing and relaxing into each stretch. There's definitely some increased flexibility there.

Will update challenge quests now.

• Like 3

UPDATES!!!

Did Workout B with 10lb dumbbells. Ended after 4 rounds (4-6 is recommended) because I was about to fail. I will feel this in the shoulders tomorrow. FINALLY, A CHALLENGE! RESULT!!!!!

Qkwy4bJtv32Ba.gif

Proper NSV today - have been coasting at 125.4lbs for a few days, but I've lost 1/2 inch off the waist, taking me down to 27 1/2". I've never been below 28" as an adult, so...

4rfcSUXnAFGes.gif

Found a friend IRL who's into intermittent fasting, CICO, etc and uses MFP. This means I can actually have an 'out loud' conversation about stuff! I've had my pancakes and tonight's South Indian veggie feast is well within my calories. May even run away from zombies tomorrow.

2oun4zzHE8ydO.gif

Though perhaps not in a suit.

• Like 4

Hello DOMS! 

That'll learn me for neglecting weights. Really feeling it in the neck, traps and quads today. Ran/walked from some Zombies today. First time I've run in such cold temperatures, but average pace was as low as when I started in September last year. At least I managed to pace myself and didn't run out of steam and have to walk all the way home... Really pooped now. Partner thinks 1200 is too low (though I had a 1600 calorie curry binge yesterday) and that I haven't got enough energy to work out. He doesn't even lift, so I'll have to take the advice with a pinch of salt ;) I'll stick it till the end of the week and then assess calories, as planned.