The Courtyard (Monk General Chat Thread)

The Shogun

Hello Monks!  I just wanted to introduce myself and let you know I'll be hanging around checking out things in this guild.  I'm a Ranger who has gotten into BJJ recently and I'm seriously considering a dual Ranger/Monk challenge next month...  I'll admit I don't know if I would ever come over 100% to the Monks, but I'll give the dual guild challenge a try...  

So...  Hi

karate_girl.jpg

• Like 4

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: FULL CUP

Well, hi there! Maybe you could help us with a problem I just now figured out we have to solve.

So, there are a lot of hybrid Nerds out there. People who go from Guild to Guild as they grow and change in their goals and their processes and figuring out who their best selves are. And while the other Guilds probably have their own classifications, I've found that I've never really thought much about what you'd call the hybrid classes around here.

I mean, you have the obvious ones. Warrior/Monk is Samurai or Knight (or sohei, if you really wanna get esoteric); Assassin/Monk is Ninja; Druid/Monk is Shugenja (solitary [possibly martial] mystic). But I've never really thought about what to call a Ranger/Monk. Offhand, I'd say Yamabushi (mountain warrior, sort of a guerilla fighter who had a lot in common with ninja back in the day if I remember right), but I don't rightly know.

Also, we need Western names for these concepts too...

• Like 2

If we're keeping with the fantasy style, here are some names that come to mind:

Warrior/Monk - Knight (like you said), Berserker, Defender

Assassin/Monk - Ninja (like you said), Thief, Rogue

Ranger/Monk - Mercenary, Fighter, Weapon Master

Scout/Monk - Watcher, Vigil, Guardian

Druid/Monk - Sage, Cleric, Shaman

Maybe that'll spark something and you'll come up some good names. :D

• Like 4

Assassin/Monk - Ninja (like you said), Thief, Rogue

Scout/Monk - Watcher, Vigil, Guardian

I think this goes in a similar direction: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/77949-incipient-order-of-taggers-lets-hack-the-tag-system-for-good/#entry1802388

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Hahaha *pulls at collar* This is funny because monks and assassins are the classes I'm least likely to play in a D&D game. It's usually Paladin (or some other heavily armored class) or Bard. (Though I am playing a Wizard at the moment.)

• Like 1

Level 5 Monk (Broadsword Focus), Level 1 Assassin

Battle Log | Fitness Tumblr

Challenges: Currens | Octavus | Septimum | Sextum | Quintum | Quartum | TertiumSecundum | Primum

It is interesting that we're focused a lot on the warrior/Shaolin temple image of a monk, since a lot of religious monks would belong more with the Druid class (I just don't see a fighting order of Tibetan monks, for example, or Franciscans with rapiers).  This community's definition is not very monastic, but very much in the genre of the video game/adventure story/kung fu movie monk.   I.e., using physical means (martial arts) for self improvement, and working with auxiliary practices (meditation, diet, lifestyle) to bolster that.  Going off on jaunts with other classes would seem to be a normal part of the process.  Maybe we should just say someone is on a musa shugyo?  That was a warrior's journey for self testing/self improvement.

Since the mixed classes add to the fun though, I do like Yamabushi for ranger hybrid, possibly Ronin (that may be more Adventurer).  For warrior, I think Paladin and/or Templar.  

• Like 3

Human | Plays with Sticks | Monkish Leanings | Rangerish Overtones

Occasionally Updated Facebook

Oooohhh I like the suggestions!  Ronin makes sense to me and it might just fit with my planned theme for the next challenge....  Thanks for the conversation!!!  

And my share for today is that I'll attend my first Muay Thai class tonight in addition to getting myself (and my girls) to BJJ class.  

Had a great discussion this weekend with the girls about belts and BJJ accomplishments.  Promotions for the kids are scheduled next month, so they are excited and scared all at the same time.  If they stick with the BJJ there is no reason to believe that they couldn't leave for college with black belts...  That statement got them thinking and its all good!  

12311210_10207742192979001_2047934855552

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: FULL CUP

It is interesting that we're focused a lot on the warrior/Shaolin temple image of a monk, since a lot of religious monks would belong more with the Druid class (I just don't see a fighting order of Tibetan monks, for example, or Franciscans with rapiers).  This community's definition is not very monastic, but very much in the genre of the video game/adventure story/kung fu movie monk.   I.e., using physical means (martial arts) for self improvement, and working with auxiliary practices (meditation, diet, lifestyle) to bolster that.  Going off on jaunts with other classes would seem to be a normal part of the process.  Maybe we should just say someone is on a musa shugyo?  That was a warrior's journey for self testing/self improvement.

Since the mixed classes add to the fun though, I do like Yamabushi for ranger hybrid, possibly Ronin (that may be more Adventurer).  For warrior, I think Paladin and/or Templar.  

I'm with you. I remember reading American Shaolin, about a guy who went off to train at the temple, and he talked about how they have three kinds of monks now - performance monks (think the whole bending spears thing), fighting monks (san da/sanshou), and religious monks. I suppose our emphasis on the musa shugyo/wuxia/adventuring monk is kind of inevitable, given that NF's whole thing is about gamifying and living adventurously. You know, for better or for worse.

Good question. My partner is thinking about joining NF and was looking for a Mage class. Might that be part of the Adventurers?

You know, I have no idea how you'd pull this off. If I were going to go straight, just based on the classes we have, I would say Druid/Scout; both forms of discipline are associated heavily with toughness and cognitive benefits, which are what come to mind as pertains to mages. That said, if he wanted to join, he should go where he feels like he would have the most fun and call himself whatever he wants. We have a fine tradition in the Rebellion of doing just that. :)

• Like 2

I'm with you. I remember reading American Shaolin, about a guy who went off to train at the temple, and he talked about how they have three kinds of monks now - performance monks (think the whole bending spears thing), fighting monks (san da/sanshou), and religious monks. I suppose our emphasis on the musa shugyo/wuxia/adventuring monk is kind of inevitable, given that NF's whole thing is about gamifying and living adventurously. You know, for better or for worse.

You know, I have no idea how you'd pull this off. If I were going to go straight, just based on the classes we have, I would say Druid/Scout; both forms of discipline are associated heavily with toughness and cognitive benefits, which are what come to mind as pertains to mages. That said, if he wanted to join, he should go where he feels like he would have the most fun and call himself whatever he wants. We have a fine tradition in the Rebellion of doing just that. :)

Forget that. Go with the Monks. Always.

Sent disgracefully from my Pavlovian device.

• Like 3

One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star.

Current Challenge

Assassin/Monk - Ninja (like you said), Thief, Rogue

Scout/Monk - Watcher, Vigil, Guardian

These make sense, but after watching Deadpool, I can't imagine mercenary as anything other than an Assassin/Monk combo haha

I definitely think Aragorn with the Ranger/Monk combo (could be extra Nerd-y and add Dunedain in there...)

• Like 4

Wandering Monk

Starting Weight: 238 Current Weight: 189.2 Goal Weight: 150

PRs

Mile: 12:49 (11/1/14) 5K: 44:07 (3/13/16)

Hello, all -- It's been a heckuva time since I was here last.  Internet restrictions have eased up a bit at the office, so the odds of me being able to stay tuned in have finally gone back up.  That, along with a few other major life curveballs have me feeling like I'm on a completely different planet than this time last year.  Planning to join in on the *next* challenge.  Missed you guys likewhoa.

Nik

• Like 3

Good question. My partner is thinking about joining NF and was looking for a Mage class. Might that be part of the Adventurers?

I consider my primary RL-class to be a mage variant. I'm a level 5-or-so Technomancer. When I joined NF, and subsequently my Kung Fu school, I just think of that as having been a dual-class to Monk. :D

• Like 2

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

New Challenge forums are up!

I may or may not have posted the Courtyard already because I wanted to claim the entire challenge forum for the Monks.  That's how the first post goes, right?

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I may or may not have posted the Courtyard already because I wanted to claim the entire challenge forum for the Monks.  That's how the first post goes, right?

Yes, the encroachers owe us tributes now.

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23