Harihead Kicks Cholesterol's Keister

Harihead

Friday: Clean diet + Aerobics + yoga + long walk. A+ for the day!

MFP projection = 1.5 pounds/week

Tomorrow I have a Tai Chi feast planned. I'm only allowed to attend if I hike a mountain first. :)

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

STR 13 | DEX 10 | STA 21 | CON 19 | WIS 20 | CHA 15

ChallengesCurrent 1 2 3 | 4 | 5 6 7 7.5 8 9 | 10 | 11 | 11.5 | 12  | 13 | 14  

Groups:  | Rangers Walk to Mordor

Nerd Fitness Academy level: 0 | Starting over

Eat clean, walk strong, age gracefully with joy. 

Wow! You're positively killin' it! And all that while working OT... :star: 

It's really great seeing that you still got your motivation back, despite all the extra work and extra stress! 

:cheerful: 

Keep rockin'! \m/ \m/ 

• Like 1

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Swampling, you're so sweet! Thanks so much for the happy talk. :)

It's not surprising, but I can look over my weight records in MFP and it goes up every deadline. My work involves several major deliveries a year, and each one of those is a peak of stress and long hours. As one lady calls it in the biz, "The death march." 

I'm doing a death march now, and it's pretty amazing that I'm actually eating good food and working out more. I'm desperately tired, however, and not sure how much longer I can keep it up. The answer is to reduce the OT, not the fitness. I need to just get this monster off my back!

I'm feeling some soreness because I haven't been working out. Ill all January, and then right into OT catch-up does not make for a happy body. But I'm going for it.

I have a big trip planned in June. I want to lose 15 pounds before I go, so I don't embarrass myself overseas. Americans are always so much more plump than the average person. That's my next challenge.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I'll report my cholesterol results here when I get them.

Happy weekend!

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

Today is cholesterol prep day. I have no idea if this last-minute (1 week's worth) adjustment to my bad habits will make any difference, but I feel as if it can't hurt. :)

Next 24 hours:

- no meat or diary

- pure paleo

- pound water

Yesterday I climbed the mountain and skipped the feast. After all my hard work, I didn't want to put myself in the way of sugary/starchy foods and alcohol. Just not worth it. The feast was counter to my goals, and climbing supported them. Quod imaginatur, unum facit.

I'm in desperately poor shape. Yes, the Flatirons are roughly shaped like an A, but only 1/4 mile of up left me breathless with quivering muscles. My 2 "off" months really show. I took my blood pressure about 45 mins after the hike: 93/67. Normally when I take my bp after work, it's around 130/84. Something tells me exercise is good for stress. 

I took my measurements today. While I've held my weight, I've succeeded in becoming much wider. This is sobering. It's time to get back on the horse. My target is 45 minutes of exercise/day average. I did that last week, and should easily continue it. 

Saturday: Very clean diet (one dab of mayonnaise) + Aerobics (2 mile hike) + Tai Chi. A+ for the day!

MFP projection = 2 pounds/week

Sunday: Super clean diet + Aerobics (bike 11 miles) + yoga. A+ for the day!

Mon: Bodyweight workout, cholesterol test

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

I hear you on deadlines wreaking havoc on diet and, well, a healthy lifestyle in general... :( Been there, done that - or rather: still doing that, though thankfully a lot less frequently than I used to. 

And yep, the right kind of exercise / movement can be really helpful when you're stressed out. For me, the horses have been a very important anti-stress strategy, first Jonnypony and the Redhead, now Rosie. I am very grateful to have (had) them in my life. :)

Keeping my fingers crossed for your check-up! 

• Like 1

Hobbit 

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

drum roll....

It worked! I passed my cholesterol test!

Congratulations! You dropped your LDL from 139 to 118. Continue to work on healthy diet and exercise to maintain.

I'm thinking the major factor here was diet, because my weight and exercise are about the same as they were 4 months ago. I'm tremendously relieved that the numbers are going in the right direction. I look forward to seeing the whole report so I can geek out on all the numbers. (the message above was from the doctor's email.)

I'd like to thank everyone on this thread for their support. It really meant a lot to me, and I appreciate it. 

Have a terrific day, all!

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO! You did it!!!!!!!!!1111oneoneeleven

:triumphant:  :triumphant:  :triumphant:  :triumphant:  :triumphant:

Congrats! 

Indeed. :) *bounces*

Let's hear it for 4-month intentional dietary changes. It seems as if my hunches for what would work are supported. 

They posted my full lipid panel. The results are even better than I expected. 

F CHOLESTEROL, SERUM 217  H 125-200 (MG/DL) - High due to "good" cholesterol

F TRIGLYCERIDES, SERUM 89 <150 (MG/DL) - Down from 131

F HDL CHOLESTEROL 81 >=46 (MG/DL) - Up from 51

F LDL 118 <130 (MG/DL) - Down from 139  

F CHOL/HDL RATIO 2.7 <=5.0 (RATIO) - Down from 4.2

Here's a defense off the web of my numbers. They suggest I'm actually in the "optimum" range now, although I'd still like to get those LDLs lower. 

People with high good cholesterol levels (60 mg/dL or more) and low levels of triglycerides (less than 100 mg/dL) may actually be at a lower risk for heart disease than people with normal cholesterol levels who have lower levels of good cholesterol and higher levels of bad cholesterol. "There are many individuals with high total cholesterol who have 'squeaky clean' blood vessels," says Arthur Agatston, MD, of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. "I even see women with total cholesterol over 300 who are not accumulating plaque. They usually have high levels of good cholesterol and low levels of triglycerides."

"The total cholesterol to HDL ratio is a better predictor of heart attack and stroke than total cholesterol or total bad cholesterol alone." Dr. Agatston says the average ratio Americans is about 5, a ratio lower than 4 is considered normal and one lower than 3.5 is considered optimal.

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

Awesome numbers! Looks like your hunches were spot on! 

The FC got his bloodwork numbers yesterday, too. You may have to share that overachiever pedestal with him - pretty much all his markers were in the optimum range. I am a light shade of green with envy. :D

Hobbit 

Awesome numbers! Looks like your hunches were spot on! 

I am a light shade of green with envy. :D

LOL. At least you know all you have to do is watch your diet for 4 months. 

I get retested in 6 mos. I want my LDLs below 100 for that. Ah, goals. :)

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger