Asa Pond - The Reveal

Asa Pond

Hello. My name is Asa Pond and up until today my life has been of little interest. Don't get me wrong, it's been fine, it has just been, well, boring to say the least. But I've always felt out of place in it too - those whispered conversations my parents would deny ever happened, the nagging sense of memories that I couldn't access, and the flickers of things I thought I saw but never actually existed - they all made me feel crazy and out of it. That is... until today. 

I was waiting for food at one of my typical restaurants when an old man, nothing special, seemed like a professional which makes sense in my area, came up to me. I recognized him in a vague way, tried to remember if I had met him at a conference or the office before, but... what happened next still confuses me. He stepped up to me and raised his hand. In it was a piece of parchment. Yes, parchment. Not paper from a printer or notebook or anything, but honest-to-God parchment. When I hesitated, he gestured, clearly annoyed, for me to take it. So I did. When I glanced back up, he was gone. Not a word exchanged between us, nothing, just the paper. 

At that point, my food was ready, so I put the note in my bag unread, and went to pay, forgetting about it for the time being, assuming he was just a senile old man who had mistaken me for someone else. I decided I would figure out what to do when I got home. But that's when I opened it: 

Asa, 

You may not remember me, in fact, if you do, we are in more trouble than I realized. Gods mercy, I hope you don't recognize me yet. I can't tell you anything until you remember yourself but you are not safe. Watch yourself, trust no one, and most importantly, prepare. Prepare for everything that is coming, because you are the only hope for it to work out the way it must. 

- X

I have no idea what it means. It has my name but the rest seems like gibberish. Prepare? Prepare for what? How am I supposed to "be ready" when I don't know what I am supposed to be ready for. I tried to talk to my mother about it but she just told me to ignore the whole thing and assumed it was a weird joke some of my friends were playing on me. But... it doesn't feel that way. I don't know what to do, so I guess it's time to prepare for the unknown. If nothing happens, then I guess whomever tried to pull one over on me got me good, but what if this is the piece I've been missing all along? What if there is something more to my life? I need to know. I need someone else to know too. That's why I am writing this here.

It is time to prepare. 

• Like 4

Fallaces sunt rerum species et hominum spes fallunt.

Preparing for something unknown is difficult. It takes being anti-fragile, it takes agility, strength, flexibility and courage. It is a...

Who am I kidding. I have no idea what I am getting myself into. This is crazy. I'm not a hero. I can't be "the only hope". This has got to be a joke. Right? 

Gah... It just doesn't feel like one. Finally, it feels like I have a direction. Okay. Asa. You can do this. Just write everything out. Make goals. You're good at that, accomplishing goals. 

Okay here goes: 

[Epic Quest for 2016: Develop and Stick to a fitness Schedule that survives upheavals.]

SMART QUESTS:

1) Get stronger: Every "chosen one" needs to be in shape, right? Like, be able to swing a sword around, or run for miles. Yeah. This is a good starting point. I already go to the gym 5 times a week but now its time to kick it up a notch. I'll add running into the mix. Maybe this "thing" is a zombie apocalypse. I'd need to run then too, right? 

A = Gym 5 x per week with 3 runs | B = Gym 5 x per week with < 3 runs | C = Gym 5 x per week with no runs | D = Gym < 5 times per week | F = No Gym at all

2) Eat Healthier: Okay. What do heroes do? They climb things, they jump, they fight. What does that require? Strength, balance, flexibility, and overall endurance. Pizza and cereal won't get me that. I need to plan meals ahead of time and stick to them. Maybe the best way to do this will be to come up with meals for the week but not determine the day. Yeah, that's good. 

A = Planned and stuck to > 12 meals per week | B = Planned and stuck to > 9 meals per week | C = Planned and stuck to > 6 meals per week | D = Planned and stuck to > 3 meals per week | F = Planned and stuck to 0 meals per week

3) Try new things: Considering I have no idea what's coming, I should probably get used to that. For the next month, each week I am going to do something new.

Option 1: Go Rock Climbing | Option 2: Join a running group for a night run | Option 3: Do a free Krav Maga class | Option 4: Wild Card

A = 4 New things achieved | B = 3 New things Achieved | C = 2 New things achieved | D = 1 new thing Achieved | F = 0 new things achieved

4) Get my life together: Who knows if this is even going to happen anyway? It would be silly to throw away my current life plan in order to be the "chosen one" or whatever. So, while "planning for the unknown" I am going to keep my life in order which means finishing my personal website, starting work on my new app project, and getting (and keeping) my apartment clean. 

This will be graded on an ongoing scale. 

Who knows? Maybe I'll end up saving the world one day, maybe I'll just run a half marathon next September. Guess I really am training for the unknown. 

Asa Out

• Like 5

Looking good! This kind of challenge makes me wish I'd picked a theme. :D

I especially like the "try new things" part of your challenge. It's that kind of thing that keeps life interesting. Best of luck with your challenge!

Thanks! They are harder to accomplish, that's for sure - but I think it'll be fun coming up with an adventure to base my challenge on.

Yay! Me too. I'm such a habit based person and need a good reason to get out the door and try something new. I'm also relatively new to my area and need to meet new people, so I'm hoping this can help with that too!

• Like 1

Thanks! They are harder to accomplish, that's for sure - but I think it'll be fun coming up with an adventure to base my challenge on.

Yay! Me too. I'm such a habit based person and need a good reason to get out the door an try something new. I'm also relatively new to my area and need to meet new people, so I'm hoping this can help with that too!

It's really a good idea! I haven't really ever thought of doing my challenges as an epic storyline series, but the idea is awesome. I'm deffo going to start something like this in my next challenge; the thought of it is making me excited already!

Ah, the best part of starting new activities is meeting the people already in them. Rock climbers and martial artists generally make up an awesome community.

Wouldn't know about running groups (cardio is my kryptonite, bleh), but maybe for your wild card option you could try something like parkour? I don't know, it seems like something that any 'chosen one' would find pretty useful! 

• Like 1

Assassin - Level 3 

STR: 6 | STA: 3 | DEX: 1 | CON: 6 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 1

Challenge 1 - RESTART -  Challenge 2

It's really a good idea! I haven't really ever thought of doing my challenges as an epic storyline series, but the idea is awesome. I'm deffo going to start something like this in my next challenge; the thought of it is making me excited already!

Ah, the best part of starting new activities is meeting the people already in them. Rock climbers and martial artists generally make up an awesome community.

Wouldn't know about running groups (cardio is my kryptonite, bleh), but maybe for your wild card option you could try something like parkour? I don't know, it seems like something that any 'chosen one' would find pretty useful! 

Can't wait to see what you come up with! :D

That's what I've heard - and I'm finally looking forward to meeting people with some similar fitness goals and interests as me as I just don't seem to have those kinds of friends right now (or family even.) 

Runners are pretty cool. ;) Similar to crossfitters in that you can't get them to stop talking about their distances/splits/races, but overall they are a good group. Parkour is a great option! I've always wanted to try something like that. I'll have to look to see if we have any gyms or groups around here that do that type of thing. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Woah, gnarly. No clue what that note's on about... but it sounds pretty intense! Good to see you're taking it seriously!

I'm gonna have to follow you on this one. There's no telling what the Chosen One will be up to. :)

Especially looking forward to goal three! I'm interested to see what your experiences will be like, especially since I'm interested in each of those activities!

• Like 2

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

Saturday, I worked on building up my back muscles (and pulled a 100 pound deadlift!!! PR by at least 20 pounds! - I've had a low back injury forever and am finally getting to the point where its no longer *crosses fingers* hindering my lifting goals). I ended up staying at the gym for, like, 2.5 hours but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Sunday was supposed to be a rest day but I was feeling antsy so I went and ran two miles with some fartlek sprints added in. 

Monday's are usually Boot Camp at 6am, but my body was telling me that I really needed to sleep in so I did, and I don't regret it. I worked out 6 days last week and figure it is time for a rest. Might make it back to the gym this afternoon, might not, but doesn't really matter.

Eating... needs improvement. But, that's what I have this month for, right? Working on improving my habits? 

I almost scheduled a Krav Maga class for today, but backed out of it. Apparently we need "krav maga" gear so I need to figure out what that means first!

• Like 1

The first day of this prep was... not so great. It was a bad anniversary for my family and it hit me harder than I thought it would. I essentially went home from work early and slept all day. No workout, definitely not good with the eating and just an overall bad day. But moving on.

Today has already started out a bit better. I still didn't get my morning workout in but I think my body really needed the sleep so I'm not too worried about that. I'll go tonight. 

This morning I had a fruit protein smoothie and packed a healthy lunch but forgot to bring it so I'll have to grab a salad from a place nearby. Emailed the Krav Maga studio to see what they meant by Krav Maga gear, so as soon as I have an idea of what I need, I'll schedule the class and go. 

• Like 1

Legs last night + 6am Kickboxing + 2 mile run with Fartlek sprints = an Asa who cannot move. But, like, in a good way? 

Stuck to my eating plan yesterday and (so far) today. Yesterday was a killer win for me because I really, really did not want to go to the gym and after a rest day, that's the worst place to be in, especially when you are training to slay dragons or whatever. It is when that happens that I generally fall into a rut. BUT! Luckily my new workout outfit that I rewarded myself with for successfully completing the last challenge came in the mail at exactly the right time so I threw it on and killed leg day. Or leg day killed me. Jury's still out. 

Anyway. On track and excited to see where I can take this. 

Asa Out

• Like 4

Legs last night + 6am Kickboxing + 2 mile run with Fartlek sprints = an Asa who cannot move. But, like, in a good way? 

Stuck to my eating plan yesterday and (so far) today. Yesterday was a killer win for me because I really, really did not want to go to the gym and after a rest day, that's the worst place to be in, especially when you are training to slay dragons or whatever. It is when that happens that I generally fall into a rut. BUT! Luckily my new workout outfit that I rewarded myself with for successfully completing the last challenge came in the mail at exactly the right time so I threw it on and killed leg day. Or leg day killed me. Jury's still out. 

Anyway. On track and excited to see where I can take this. 

Asa Out

I could be ill, tired, depressed, frustrated, on the brink of death itself....

...but if a flashy new pair of shorts arrives and I've got training that day, by god am I going to go to training and kill it. :P Glad to see someone else understands where I'm coming from!

Sounds like a super productive day on your end. You're doing really well, keep it up!

• Like 3

Assassin - Level 3 

STR: 6 | STA: 3 | DEX: 1 | CON: 6 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 1

Challenge 1 - RESTART -  Challenge 2

I could be ill, tired, depressed, frustrated, on the brink of death itself....

...but if a flashy new pair of shorts arrives and I've got training that day, by god am I going to go to training and kill it. :tongue: Glad to see someone else understands where I'm coming from!

Sounds like a super productive day on your end. You're doing really well, keep it up!

Hahah YES! So true! I could be bribed into running a marathon with new gear. 

Thanks!! :D 

Went to my first Krav Maga class today! :D It was a blast and way more of a workout than I was expecting. I already feel better prepared for what's coming for me. I forgot my hand wraps and so my knuckles are gross and bloody but it makes it kind of cool? And apparently, where they are all torn up is the place where I should be punching so that's good!

I want to keep going with training there but it's pretty expensive and I am a broke post-grad which isn't fun. AND there is still rock climbing, my kickboxing and bootcamp classes, and the half marathon I am training for. How do people choose??? Why is being active so much fun? Why is being active so much money????

That's it for today. I'll figure something out I suppose.

Asa Out.

• Like 4

Things have been getting strange. 

The weather has been all over the place. The animals are acting strangely and even my family seems... off. 

I keep having dreams that someone is standing outside my door. They aren't trying to get in, they are just standing there, waiting. It feels like a sign. 

I haven't heard from my... friend? lately. Hopefully he'll give me more guidance soon. 

• Like 2

I think I'm getting sick. :( Worked chest Saturday, back Sunday, and was going to work out yesterday but wasn't feeling great so didn't think it was a good idea to face the potential germfest that was the gym. Just in case. The dreams mentioned above are real (actually, everything is to a degree - which is weird) but they keep interrupting my sleep and that isn't helping either. 

I'm supposed to visit family up north this weekend (Thursday - Sunday) which means no time to work out and lot's of unhealthy food. And things are strained between my mother and I which is never fun because we are like the real life version of the Gilmore Girls and I hate when we are arguing. UGH...

Things happen to throw off heroes all the time. This is what we do. We fight through it. I need to remember that. 

Asa Out.

• Like 1

I'm here! I'm still alive! No baddies yet, just a quick trip to watch sled dog races up north with the family. I haven't worked out since last Wednesday (and clomping along in the snow doesn't really count), and my eating was definitely FUBAR but it was a lot of fun and definitely filled out that TBD spot on my try something new (even though I used to go all the time when I was younger and lived in the North - this was a last second, spur of the moment trip so it counts). 

I also got a full time job over the past few days (well, was hired at the company I was interning for but It's my FIRST full time real person job with actual salary and benefits so it's super exciting)!

I couldn't get my booty out of bed this morning to get my work out in so I'll have to try and convince myself to go tonight. I meant to bring my workout clothes to work today buuuut forgot as I was running late. Hopefully, I'll be strong enough to just do it. Not sit down on my couch, not turn on the video games or netflix, just go. 

• Like 2

Alright - I'm changing things up a bit and I need to write it out somewhere to get it clear in my own brain.

The program I have been working on is a bit more for body building then I want right now. It also takes about an hour and a half to two hours to complete, which I'm fine with but doesn't leave any time for stuff like running. I'd like to come back to it eventually because I saw awesome results using it before, but right now I need to focus on something a bit different. Since I'm a member of the academy here, I'm going to try the barbell brigade option there and include runs along with my boot camps and kickboxing. 

Here's a basic idea of what I want to do. Obviously, it will change up a bit as I maneuver it more to my liking. 

Day 1: Long Training Run or Boot camp and short run

Day 2: Barbell Brigade Workout A 

Day 3: Kickboxing and 5k

Day 4: Barbell Brigade Workout B or Rest Day

Day 5: Long Training Run or Boot camp and short Run

Day 6: Rest Day

Day 7: BBWC or Rest Day

The A, B, C workout days will be changed up depending on how my rest days pan out, but this is pretty much how I am planning on moving forward over the next few weeks. 

I'm participating in a weight-loss challenge at work (which I'm not thrilled about because weight loss as a goal as opposed to fitness as a goal drives me nuts but whatever) and I "gained" a pound over the last 2 weeks. I'm not too worried about it because water weight / different time / muscle mass, but it was still somewhat disheartening to see the number go up.

I am planning on running a half marathon in September in my home town on Lake Superior hence the running training. 

(I realize it is really weird for me to be in the assassins - but considering my ultimate goal is to be the Black Widow, I just feel like this is where I belong.)

• Like 2

Went on a short run outside for the first time since moving to my new area. I forgot how much more difficult running outside is then running on a treadmill. Especially given the weather. But it felt great (after I was done) and I'm excited to really work on developing my running legs again!

My nightmares are getting worse and I still haven't heard from my "friend" but I'll keep you guys posted. 

Asa Out

• Like 1

You know those times when you think you're fit and then something slaps you in the face, like running outside instead of a treadmill, or doing a body weight workout at home because you fell asleep and it was too late to go to the gym and then you realize everything you thought you were is a sham?

Omg. I did a body weight circuit:

10 pushups

15 bw squats (second set had 25)

10 inverted rows

20 stepups

:15 plank, :15 side plank; :15 other side; :15 plank

40 jumping jacks

3x

and it nearly killed me. Like, I thought it would be a (relative) breeze, but yikes.

The good: I did 3 sets of 10 STRICT pushups!!! Which, I really didn't think I could do, so that's cool.

The bad: Had to double the rest before the last round

Anyway - did it. Proud of myself because I was just going to let myself out of a workout today since I didn't make it to the gym. AND am still alive. So all around: YAY!

Asa Out

(PS: Sarah on Arrow is super motivating, but I also kind of hate her because Felicity [for those of you who have any idea what I am talking out])

• Like 2