• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TheFatFriar

Kunmaar: Challenge 2

“No day goes by where I am not tempted to return to my inborn nature. Zin krif horvut se suleyk (Honor is fighting the lure of power). What is better—to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature with great effort?â€

Hey fellow rebels! This is my second challenge here. I don’t want to pick a guild just yet, I’m still trying to find out which path is the right one for me. But I’m so proud to start this challenge with an announcement:

I’ve defeated the binge-eating beast! I’m no longer a binge-eater!

(If anyone wants to know how, just check out my first challenge thread.)

That doesn’t mean the urge is completely gone, though. Recovering from an eating disorder doesn’t magically reset who I am. But that’s why I started this post with a quote from my favorite dragon, Paarthurnax. Anyway, my point is, I have something to fight against: My own evil nature. I’ve never liked exercising, and unhealthy food has always been my best friend. But with slow changes, I’m fighting it. And if Paarthurnax can fight his own evil nature for an eternity, I can do it for a month, and then for a lifetime, right?

And now without the binge-eating sessions, I can observe how my normal eating habits are like. That’s why this challenge will be mostly focused on observation. Here are my goals for the next four weeks:

Goal #1: Tracking my food intake, by simply writing down everything I eat (no calorie calculations, it just stresses me out), without breaking the rules from the previous challenge ( minimum 1 veggie & maximum two junk food items every day).

Goal #2: Fast food only once a week. I find reducing fast food easier than reducing chocolate and sugar, so let’s start from there. Last month I didn’t have a specific goal about my fast food intake, but I noticed I usually eat fast food 2 times a week.

Goal #3: A bodyweight workout once a week. Other days, have at least a 10-minute walk.

Bonus points if I track #2 and #3 with an app.

Life goal: Meditate 2 minutes everyday using the app Calm. I want to see if meditating will help me fight depression. I’ve never meditated before, so any tips or advice is appreciated.

I’m sooo excited and ready for my second challenge!!!

• Like 7

YOOOO! Found ya.  Will be joining you in the thread posting when I get all the kinks worked out with my challenges and quests.

I know you're gonna kill it with your awesome chocolate making skills.  Still jealous. <3

• Like 1

I spent today preparing for the challenge. I found a very old notebook that I can always carry around with me. It didn't look very pretty, but I did my best to customize it a bit with my terrible drawing skills. Turned out much better than I'd thought. I'd be very embarrassed if anyone who knows me in real life saw this, but I'm going to share it with you guys :D

Also, since I'm so determined to be able to do pull-ups some day, I'll be doing dumbell rows this month. I already had a set 2 kg dumbells, but lifting 2 kg was too easy for me, so I came up with this solution instead of buying a new set of dumbells:

I tied them together and it looks safe enough. 4 kg will be hard enough for me. Once I get stronger, I'm planning to go to my campus gym and see if they have 5, 8, and 10 kg dumbells there. It's a very small gym, so I'm not really sure. I've been there only once, and when the girl on the treadmill gave me a weird look, I ran away. I'm such a coward, but one day I want to try again. I don't want to buy another gym membership, or invest in a dumbell set I'm not going to use in the long term, while I have access to one for free. What can I say, I'm learning to be frugal :D Anyway, I don't have to worry about gyms this month at least. Can't wait for tomorrow!

• Like 3

Keep up the good work, Kunmaar!  

I'll be following along with you - and we have very similar challenges.

I started tracking my food with an app - today is day 10 - and I find the exercise of just tracking it to be very beneficial.  

Good luck, and kick ass!

• Like 1

That's an adorable dragon. Whenever I see art on graph paper, I have an urge to cross stitch it - a lot of my cross stitch designs start as sketches on graph paper. :P

• Like 1

Kunmaar,

In the name of frugality, industry, and nerdiness, it may be worth trying some household items for your rows!  

Example: 1 gallon of water = 8.34 lbs (~3.8 kg), costs about $0.99 at a gas station/grocery store, and can always be used for its intended purpose after use as a weight.

I've moved on from a gallon of water to a 5-gallon bucket of salt (originally my method for keeping ice off my driveway...)

Forge on!

Also, since I'm so determined to be able to do pull-ups some day, I'll be doing dumbell rows this month. I already had a set 2 kg dumbells, but lifting 2 kg was too easy for me, so I came up with this solution instead of buying a new set of dumbells:

I tied them together and it looks safe enough. 4 kg will be hard enough for me. Once I get stronger, I'm planning to go to my campus gym and see if they have 5, 8, and 10 kg dumbells there. It's a very small gym, so I'm not really sure. I've been there only once, and when the girl on the treadmill gave me a weird look, I ran away. I'm such a coward, but one day I want to try again. I don't want to buy another gym membership, or invest in a dumbell set I'm not going to use in the long term, while I have access to one for free. What can I say, I'm learning to be frugal :D Anyway, I don't have to worry about gyms this month at least. Can't wait for tomorrow!

• Like 3

Day 1:

I weighted myself first thing in the morning:93.5 kg! Yay! The last time I stepped on the scale, the number was 94.9. I know the scale isn't the most reliable way to measure my progress (muscles are heavier than the fat, water weight etc.) but if I want to do push-ups, pull-ups, planks, handstands etc., weighting less will make them a lot easier.

I had a good walk around the neighbourhood, but couldn't do the bodyweight workout because my mom is staying over for the night. I won't be able to do it tomorrow either, because my best friend is in town and we'll be hanging out tomorrow (he lives and works in a different city, and will return next week). So the workout will have to wait till Wednesday.

Meditation was much harder than I thought. I tried two different sessions on Calm, one was 3 minutes and the other was 2 minutes, so I meditated, or tried to meditate for 5 minutes in total, but I couldn't bring myself to relax. I don't know why, but I was so tense while trying to relax. I even thought of changing this goal with something else, but no, I'll stick to it for a month at least and see if I get better.

I'm writing everything down, not just the food. Meditation, walking, weight, so I will have a concrete report by the time this challenge is complete.

Signing out!

• Like 3

So, I see this is the first time you meditate.  Do not fret.  REPEAT: do not fret if you can't calm your brain down for the first few times you do it.  Your mind is so use to being on all of the time that it will take some time to be in your zen.  Everyone reacts differently to meditation.  I get into this weird comfy mode where I can feel my energy vibrating.  

Some things that may help will be setting an intention before meditation.  What do you need to focus on most today?   "I am strong"?  "I can do this"?  You can also focus on your breathing. Or open eye meditation where you have a focal point.  

Great job with the food logging too. 

• Like 3

So, I see this is the first time you meditate.  Do not fret.  REPEAT: do not fret if you can't calm your brain down for the first few times you do it.  Your mind is so use to being on all of the time that it will take some time to be in your zen.  Everyone reacts differently to meditation.  I get into this weird comfy mode where I can feel my energy vibrating.  

Some things that may help will be setting an intention before meditation.  What do you need to focus on most today?   "I am strong"?  "I can do this"?  You can also focus on your breathing. Or open eye meditation where you have a focal point.  

Thanks, hopefully I'll do that tomorrow. I do guided meditation, the app tells me focus on different body parts, so I try to do that. And also on my breathing. Yestarday I made the mistake of breathing too deeply because of that :D Maybe that was what made me so tense. I actually meditated a few times before, our sensei made us meditate for a few minutes after the aikido classes. Now I see it was easier back then, because I was already in a "focused" mood from practicing.

• Like 1

What she said  :peaceful: . To add, it is important that you don't force yourself to the state you aspire. If you are tense then accept it and just insinuate the possibility to let go of the tension. If the tension doesn't go away just observe it, let it be and focus on your breathing. With time and constant practice you will start to understand what this all we are talking about means. For now just don't pressure yourself, the only thing you need to do is sit with the intention of meditating. Whatever comes is ok. I would say that at the beginning we first learn to accept. To stop doing and just sit still and accept that what ever is going on in the present moment with ourselves is OK.

I'm falling sleep, so maybe this post doesn't make sense but I just wanted to tell you that meditation will help with your depression. If you stay with it and you don't try to make your practice into something you previously visualise, it will reward you with things that you never though of. The key is to have no expectation, just let it be  :panda:

• Like 2

Day 2

Bad news: The meet-up was postponed to tomorrow, so I decided to do the recruit workout today. And... I miserably failed. I did the warm-up and completed 2 circuits, but my body was screaming for me to stop, so I skipped the last circuit. I tried to do the cool-down, but I couldn't complete it. I couldn't even take a shower. I just sat down on the floor and literally crawled to my bed. I napped for a couple of hours. I was feeling much better when I woke up, at least physically, I took a hot shower to relax the muscles (I really cared about the cool-down part because I want to be more flexible, and I'm very upset about not being able to do it) and now I'm sitting at my computer writing this. I could really use a virtual hug right now :(

Good news: Failures like this usually ended up me stuffing a huge cake or pizza into my mouth. Today, I didn't even think about it. Right now I'm actually craving a mushroom omelette wrapped in lettuce because I know my body needs protein and I haven't eaten my daily veggie yet. At least I had taken my 10-minute walk earlier today, in case something like this happened. And meditation went much better.

I don't know what to do about these bodyweight workouts. The level 1 workout is actually much easier than the recruit workout, but I'm too scared to try again next week :(

• Like 2

Day 2

Bad news: The meet-up was postponed to tomorrow, so I decided to do the recruit workout today. And... I miserably failed. I did the warm-up and completed 2 circuits, but my body was screaming for me to stop, so I skipped the last circuit. I tried to do the cool-down, but I couldn't complete it. I couldn't even take a shower. I just sat down on the floor and literally crawled to my bed. I napped for a couple of hours. I was feeling much better when I woke up, at least physically, I took a hot shower to relax the muscles (I really cared about the cool-down part because I want to be more flexible, and I'm very upset about not being able to do it) and now I'm sitting at my computer writing this. I could really use a virtual hug right now :(

Good news: Failures like this usually ended up me stuffing a huge cake or pizza into my mouth. Today, I didn't even think about it. Right now I'm actually craving a mushroom omelette wrapped in lettuce because I know my body needs protein and I haven't eaten my daily veggie yet. At least I had taken my 10-minute walk earlier today, in case something like this happened. And meditation went much better.

I don't know what to do about these bodyweight workouts. The level 1 workout is actually much easier than the recruit workout, but I'm too scared to try again next week :(

66ea5bd0861b69ea5f067f5574e365c7.jpg

My advice would maybe do some stretching or yoga before you do a bodyweight workout again, just to help the body.

Listen to your body. Try whatever workout you think will work but don't do as many reps. Then the next time you do it, add a rep.

Awesome job not falling back to old habits! You can do it!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Day 2

Kunmaar,

I thought of myself as active, at a good weight, athletic even (former college athlete, still play pick-up sports) - but I tried the Recruit Workout last week and had a bad time as well.  I pulled a leg muscle during the warm-up... and I'm an active hockey player. Talk about embarrassing.  

The point is, I'm doing much better now and you will too!  

My diet is working out very well, I completed Bodyweight Level 1A yesterday, I am cruising to 5 miles on my fitbit today despite a lot of snowfall in the last 12 hours, and that bad workout is well in the past.  Remember:  What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.  

Forge on, Rebel!

• Like 1

Kunmaar,

I thought of myself as active, at a good weight, athletic even (former college athlete, still play pick-up sports) - but I tried the Recruit Workout last week and had a bad time as well.  I pulled a leg muscle during the warm-up... and I'm an active hockey player. Talk about embarrassing.  

The point is, I'm doing much better now and you will too!  

My diet is working out very well, I completed Bodyweight Level 1A yesterday, I am cruising to 5 miles on my fitbit today despite a lot of snowfall in the last 12 hours, and that bad workout is well in the past.  Remember:  What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.  

Forge on, Rebel!

Wow, I think you're right about the difficulty. I mean, last summer I was doing 5-circuit workouts 3 times a week without any trouble. Even then I wasn't in a good shape.

Anyway, I'll try bodyweight level 1 next week, because I'm doing this to be strong. I could just walk everyday and probably look pretty good by the end of the year, but I would still be as weak as I am now. That's the thing, "looking good" doesn't motivate me, because honestly, I don't really care. "Getting strong" on the other hand, does. That was why I was so upset.

@Jonesy Thanks for the hug :) I might switch to yoga if I fail again next week, but the bodyweight workouts are my priority because I REALLY want to be able to do push-ups and pull-ups.

• Like 2

Oh I just suggest doing it before you do the bodyweight workouts, like 10 min Yoga or Pilates before you start the rebel workout. Think of it as an added warm up.  

• Like 1

Wow, I think you're right about the difficulty. I mean, last summer I was doing 5-circuit workouts 3 times a week without any trouble. Even then I wasn't in a good shape.

Anyway, I'll try bodyweight level 1 next week, because I'm doing this to be strong. I could just walk everyday and probably look pretty good by the end of the year, but I would still be as weak as I am now. That's the thing, "looking good" doesn't motivate me, because honestly, I don't really care. "Getting strong" on the other hand, does. That was why I was so upset.

@Jonesy Thanks for the hug :) I might switch to yoga if I fail again next week, but the bodyweight workouts are my priority because I REALLY want to be able to do push-ups and pull-ups.

You end up developing the muscles you need for a body weight training during Yoga, because an Asana practice is a body weight training :playful: . You have pushups, shoulder press, squats, etc... inside the yoga poses. Many of the poses will help you develop the same body comp and strength with the added flexibility. I find that they go well together, even complement each other. You got yoga sessions to build any type of muscle you can imagine but also to gain the suppleness you will need for many of the advance body weight progressions. You could do some yoga for warming up or for cooling down or better yet use it in the off days to stretch the muscles you have been training. It is common to end up losing flexibility as you gain strength if you don't make time to stretch does muscles.

• Like 3

You end up developing the muscles you need for a body weight training during Yoga, because an Asana practice is a body weight training :playful: . You have pushups, shoulder press, squats, etc... inside the yoga poses. Many of the poses will help you develop the same body comp and strength with the added flexibility. I find that they go well together, even complement each other. You got yoga sessions to build any type of muscle you can imagine but also to gain the suppleness you will need for many of the advance body weight progressions. You could do some yoga for warming up or for cooling down or better yet use it in the off days to stretch the muscles you have been training. It is common to end up losing flexibility as you gain strength if you don't make time to stretch does muscles.

Yoga+strength training is actually my dream combination :) But I'm slowly building up to that point, you know, not to overwhelm myself. Like I said, I might switch to yoga if bodyweight workout fails... But I invested in the Academy, and I want to see it through first.

• Like 1

It won't fail. You can always make the exercise a little easier and progress from there. I don't have the actual workout you are doing but if you post it and tell us which moves are too much we can help.

• Like 1